• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel81

The RPG aspects were much better in the original, and I loved the solitude of Mako/planet exploration. The sequel didn't resonate with me, even though the shooting was "better" but that's not what I played the games for. Haven't played part 3 yet, but I own the trilogy pack on Origin.

kingkitty

I want to see alien tits and dongs in the new trilogy.

I also hope it's not a prequel, fuck that noise. ME3 spoilers:
All three of those endings in ME3 are so ridiculous, I would be fine if Bioware came up with a fourth ending to follow as canon where shep dies, the citadel blows up, and the bad guys are defeated. None of this other crap.

Fedele

The third rumour can't be true, it would be awful. However, it's EA so why not...

I was thinking how cool it would be if they built an online system to deliver new planet exploration missions like the ones on ME1.

Mindlog

I'd buy it, but I'd also buy a turd with N7 stamped on it.
Deception has a Collector's Edition?

There being an early canceled prototype wouldn't surprise me. It reminds me of the first iteration of Mass Effect:Team Assault becoming what we got. Turning the remnants of that into a quick and dirty First Contact War game would be tempting. The idea on an FPS gives me shivers. I enjoy ME combat so much because of the way powers and guns intermingle. First person Novas would look goofy as hell.
But not every mission has to be guns blazing, balls to the wall, explosathon.
Basically there needs to be a handful of scenes that pass the Eno test. Vigil does it. The Prothean Beacon was there for a bit. Sinmara could have had it.

Ridesh

Banned
One thing I would like to see is a marked improvement in environment details and more varied locations, I mean, I love ME aesthetics, but interiors are so sterile, too many boring facilities. Dead Space has ME beaten in that aspect.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So I'm replaying Mass Effect (one) on PS3. Game's still awesome. Art holds well.

Direct captures

masseffect_47uk4o.png

also..

smug Shepard is best Shepard

Vega

So when will we get a look at this? E3? I thought I read an article a few months ago that said the game was already playable.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Any possibility that there are two games? First contact might be a cross gen FPS made by... Somebody. And then a new ME game made by Bioware?

Doubt it. If there were two big Mass Effect games in development I think one would have been announced by now. It's been over two years since the trilogy ended, and they've only announced the next mainline game. I think it's more likely what Mindlog and co suggested: very, very early on it was prototyped and conceptualised, but this direction was scrapped for whatever reason in order for Montreal to fully handle what is otherwise "Mass Effect 4" instead of a spin off.

Then again, you never know. Maybe it is a first person shooter prequel!

So when will we get a look at this? E3? I thought I read an article a few months ago that said the game was already playable.

The game has had a number of playable builds demonstrated internally. Manveer Heir noted just before the end of 2013 (I think) that the then latest build was the first that had really come together as something tangible. Yanick Roy hasn't committed to a reveal, though did say last year that he expect to show the game some time this year. Anything else is speculation.

Like many, I believe this year is the year we'll get something formal. Last year we were teased with concept art, this year I think we'll get at least a teaser trailer (think ME2 announcement style), and at best a proper reveal trailer. Question is whether it'll be at E3 this year (I really think it will be), or if we'll have to wait until PAX later this year or N7 day to get something.

Then again, that Mass Effect 4 dev on the BW forums and twitter, along with the other dude, keep teasing something space related for this week. And PAX starts next week, where BioWare have a presence. So I guess we'll wait and see.

Astrates

I'd buy option 3 for the same reason as EatChildren, I'd buy anything ME related but old be pretty unhappy with myself and them.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm pretty sure i saw Bioware saying the game would be in third person again... so that rumor sound like bullshit.

Liara is shit until shadow broker DLC and even then she's just ok.

All Asari should be exterminated.

I wish there was Asari genocide option in ME3.

Taker34

Banned
What's wrong with that?

Not everyone likes Liara that much. Shepard on the other hand... why would you hate your own character? That's why Shepard probably should be there, instead of the blue lady.

Liara is shit until shadow broker DLC and even then she's just ok.

All Asari should be exterminated.

I wish there was Asari genocide option in ME3.

So because of Liara a whole race should die? I guess you don't like her?

http://www.biowarestore.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/r/art-litho-me-masseffectsaga.jpg[IMG] *img snip*

What an awesome cover.[/QUOTE]

I'm mad at myself that I missed the limited print. It will go for $200 on ebay now. Maybe the smaller one is better for me anyway.

With regards to the game being shown at E3, that would be interesting, seeing as how the focus should probably be on DA:I for Bioware.

Taker34

Banned
No I just think they're a shit race. Really bad designs. Immortal sexy space women with sexy space boobs and psi powers and can have sex with anything. Shouldn't have made it into the games imo.

C'mon maybe there's a race exactly like that out there. Who knows? Even though I understand where you're coming from.

C'mon maybe there's a race exactly like that out there. Who knows? Even though I understand where you're coming from.

It's just really blatant pandering, even outside of their incredibly implausible design. Like they're so human-like they can wear human-armor in ME1. Their bodies are a 99% match for the 21st century western human ideal for what a sexy woman is, with the whole species having pretty faces, shapely bodies and large breasts. Blue skin and head tentacles is the only physiological difference, the latter of which kind of resembles hair anyway. Their eyes are human shaped, their nose is human shaped... it just goes on.

This combined with fantasy elf tropes of all being magical and wise and immortal just adds to the irritation.

Taker34

Banned
It's just really blatant pandering, even outside of their incredibly implausible design. Like they're so human-like they can wear human-armor in ME1. Their bodies are a 99% match for the 21st century western human ideal for what a sexy woman is, with the whole species having pretty faces, shapely bodies and large breasts. Blue skin and head tentacles is the only physiological difference, the latter of which kind of resembles hair anyway. Their eyes are human shaped, their nose is human shaped... it just goes on.

This combined with fantasy elf tropes of all being magical and wise and immortal just adds to the irritation.

Sure but you have probably heard about the theories which assume that aliens could look like humans (Asari, Klingons, etc.) in case our DNA is part of a universal structure. Of course you can clearly see what BioWare had in mind when designing Asari, but until we don't meet real aliens everything's possible.
You could explain a lot in the ME universe and you don't even have to start talking about nanomachines. That's actually a good thing.

Oh and let's hope your dream comes true in Mass Effect 4... :D

You could make an argument they're the most plausibly designed, anatomically. As humans, we have a sample of 1 world that has developed intelligent life to go off of. We know that the types of planets capable of developing life fit into a somewhat narrow category. We also know that mammals have specific characteristics that other Orders do not, such as mammary glands. Can we say with confidence that you don't need those specific attributes to select for traits that would develop into a complex sentient state?

If you then presume that, does that force any characteristics such as bipedalism, internal skeletal structure, etc.? Since Asari are the most human-like physiologically, by that extension they require the smallest leap of faith to imagine their existence. I'm leaving out their method of reproduction however, which is bananas in my opinion.

Caladrius

I'm leaving out their method of reproduction however, which is bananas in my opinion.

Bananas is an understatement. The Asari are basically receiving electrical signals to write genetic code with.

Y'know, that automated process that runs off of chemical reactions unconnected to the nervous system.

DYLANH24

Neo Member
I'm willing to believe EA isn't that retarded to be option 3, I personally hope it's a mix of rumour 1 & 2 but for gods sake make it a prequel before all the Shepard bullshit or make it post ME 1, making a post ME 3 universe is going to be way too hard and it would be way easier to be set before.
For god's sake though, do not make it first contact war, we already know everything about it and it's not nearly interesting enough to warrant a whole game.

royox

I don't remember where (Mass Effect 2 I think) but some Salarian (?¿) says that every race of the galaxy have their own perception of the Asari. Humans see them human-like, Krogan see them krogan-like. That's why every race of the galaxy are sexually attracted to the Asari.

Why do you think a Krogan like Wrex would bang an Asari but not a human female?

I don't remember where (Mass Effect 2 I think) but some Salarian (?¿) says that every race of the galaxy have their own perception of the Asari. Humans see them human-like, Krogan see them krogan-like. That's why every race of the galaxy are sexually attracted to the Asari.

Why do you think a Krogan like Wrex would bang an Asari but not a human female?

It was a drunken bachelor party on Illium.

It's not an explanation that holds up to any scrutiny. If the Asari looked different to each race everybody would know because of things such as "photographs" and scans, and noticing that other species pictographic representations looked totally different. The bachelors party implied only that different species noticed the similairites with themselves, e.g. that the Turian was totally into her head tentacles while the Salarian thouight her skin colour was nice.

Again, they literally fit into human armor. They literally have identical features to humans. Their similarities to other species are extrmeely shallow and superficial compared to "99% identical body plan".

Have to say, I'm not the biggest fan of Liara either. She was kinda plane in ME1, and I wasn't a fan of her sudden change in personality in ME2. Always seemed like the writers favoured her.

I was going through some folders on my computer when I found this:
HG0wumf.jpg

I can't remember where this is from. It's using X05 Shepard, so it must have been from before E3 2006. Any one remember this picture?

Edit: Did some googling, and found out that this was the december 2005 cover of OXM. The cover story is pretty interesting, The Citadel was originally called The Oculon, and they had planned to have up to 10 squad members.

Rumors 1 and 2 have the potential to make me happy.

Rumor 3 is what a dark part of me hopes it is so I can stop coming in these threads. I'd be able to wash my hands of the series at that point.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The thing with the third rumour, and why I included it, is due the poster's history. I mean, the dude leaked Citadel DLC content like
Shepard's clone, the focus on your squad mates, the entertainment strip hub, etc
months before it released. Basically stuff that nobody except those working at or very close to BioWare could have possibly known. I believe in his comments history he claims he did work for BioWare and no longer, iterating that much of the studio hated the ending but had absolutely no say in it.

And then went on to say BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect was "Mass Effect: First Contact", a first person shooter with diminished role playing, set during the First Contact War and running on Frostbite 3. He did mistakenly call them "DICE Montreal" or something like that, but fixed the error.

So yeah, I mean, if that's what he's saying I find it very hard to believe he was either missfed or misinformed on that info while also 100% spot on about the nitty gritty Citadel DLC details looong before release. That being said, whether he/she is was actually an employee or heard from someone else is impossible to know.

Like I said (and I believe Nirolak agrees too), I suspect this actually was at some point Montreal's Mass Effect, but very, very early on. Like very early pre-Mass Effect 3-release conceptualising. Meanwhile the core Mass Effect team at Edmonton may have been expected to work on the next mainline "Mass Effect 4" themselves. Plans changed: Casey Hudson's team chose instead to move on to the new (and yet to be announced) IP, while Montreal was given full reign on Mass Effect 4. The latter was probably in part due to the ending backlash along with market research indicating fans did not want this to happen, and that with EA's franchise structuring there probably wouldn't be place for another fucking multiplayer focused first person shooter (even if scifi) alongside Battlefield from DICE and Battlefield from Visceral. Mass Effect's third person action-RPG narrative driven gameplay fills a niche that is very successful and otherwise unfilled by anything else at EA, so it makes no sense at all to abandon it.

While I would not be surprised for Mass Effect 4 to bring about some big new ideas and maybe changes that fans do/don't like, I do think it will retain the "core" Mass Effect design philosophy and not at all tread water with Rumour #3. Yanick Roy has already gone out of his way to reiterate Mass Effect 4 will have all the stuff you've come to associate with the franchise, and the info I was told indicates it's definitely heading in that direction.

Calabain

Neo Member
Nothing. They've done a good job of keeping a tight lid on things. Summary:

What we know fo sho:
- It's not called "Mass Effect 4".
- No Shepard and crew, totally new story and direction for the series.