• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope to see some side plot where you find derelict remains of another pathfinder team & Ark. Bring on the creepy stuff like a couple of the ME1/2 side missions.

I guess they would leave one or two undiscovered for future games (as protagonists) ?

We'll probably have at least one other dead Ark. Something happened to the others, after all.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
IhPnkjH.jpg

Been using this character the last couple days. My god it has to be one of if not the best sniper in the game. The low amount of health can be ridiculous at times, you will die very fast, but as long as you watch your surroundings it will deal so much damage.

Bombless

IhPnkjH.jpg

Been using this character the last couple days. My god it has to be one of if not the best sniper in the game. The low amount of health can be ridiculous at times, you will die very fast, but as long as you watch your surroundings it will deal so much damage.

The geth units were so amazing in mp. Long live Trogdor the Burninator!

A) this is all personal opinions stuff, so no-one can be 'right'.

B) your reasons are just not buyable for some of us, clearly. Comparing to Spain and Columbus doesn't make any sense at all - Columbus knew the earth was round, knew that if you went west far enough you'd hit the Far East and the lucrative trade routes there. It wasn't a one way journey into the unknown, he did it because he wanted to become rich.

C) Technology wise, up until the andromeda initiative is revealed there's absolutely no indication that any species has the capability to do trans galactic flight. So now we aren't just going from a situation where after 27 years humanity is a galactic superpower, we're in a scenario where after 21 years since first meeting alien life humanity hasn't just developed new tech none of the races whove been around for hundreds of years have, but also it's able to persuade these species to join up on this crazy, lunatic endevour.

D) resources are important. Mass Effect isn't post scarcity. Wars are still fought over planets, colonies still cost the earth yet look like trash. The Andromeda Iniative is basically building a new citedall, plus four ark ships, and all of them can sustain a 600 year galactic flight. This isn't Elon Musk funding a rocket that might go to the moon one day, this is him finding a faster than light space ship. Next year.

Hell, look at the resources that were needed just to construct the crucible. The andromeda iniative is far larger in scope, and yet somehow no only did no-one notice it, but it was done by private funding? From a species that didn't even known alien life existed 21 years ago?
The Curcible is an argument for plausibility- not against it. It can be constructed by the Systems Alliance in a matter of months whilst the Solar System, the vast majority of the SA's industrial base, was occupied by the Reapers.

The Nexus is not the most impressive piece of megascale engineering we see in Mass Effect. A civilisation numbering in the trilllions that does things like mine a planet so hard it's diameter significantly decreased or build a particle accelerator to encircle a planet can build the Nexus.

Buckle

What's particularly stupid about the Andromeda initiative is sending the explorers in blind. Life is teeming in the Milky Way... why would they assume it wasn't in Andromeda? What happens if we get there and it's already occupied and it's unfriendly to humans? Too late to turn back now, we've been flying there for 600 years. This is why we send probes before we dive headfirst into colonization efforts. It's a very clumsy premise to the game
If I remember right, they did do some sort of scan/probe of the andromeda galaxy but that something unexpected had changed in the 600 years to it.

Don't have a source so I might aswell be talking out of my ass but I could have sworn I heard this being talked about as a plot point in a recent interview.

prag16

Banned
If I remember right, they did do some sort of scan/probe of the andromeda galaxy but that something unexpected had changed in the 600 years to it.

Don't have a source so I might aswell be talking out of my ass but I could have sworn I heard this being talked about as a plot point in a recent interview.
They may have even mentioned it in one of the trailers. Pretty sure they said something about their scans.

Maledict

Yes - isn't the basic premise of the game trying to work out what happened to the 7 garden worlds that were identified in the scans beforehand?

jdstorm

Banned
The most logical explanation for the Andromeda Inititive is this.

The AI started during peacetime 7 years before Sovreign. After Sovregin Admiral Anderson and the council fast tracked its development as a lifeboat program for when the reapers returned

Mindlog

Proximity Mine is very powerful.

It's been so long, but something like this. 6/5/6/6/3

Your health is squishy, but your shields are very strong so an emphasis on them is worthwhile. This isn't the outright highest Javelin setup, but it lets you shoot through the map which is very fun. I don't see an option for it, but Warp Ammo IV packs a punch.

This is all assuming you go sniper of course. Different build entirely for shotgun and scorpion melee.

ME3 MP nailed 'less is more' so hard when creating multiple viable builds.
Thinking on this point... Favorite loadouts are going to be weird if we can or can't (both) have different power evolutions for different situations. In the example above you would spec the same powers differently for sniper, shotgun and melee builds. I wonder how that is going to play out.

Bombless

Proximity Mine is very powerful.

It's been so long, but something like this. 6/5/6/6/3

Your health is squishy, but your shields are very strong so an emphasis on them is worthwhile. This isn't the outright highest Javelin setup, but it lets you shoot through the map which is very fun. I don't see an option for it, but Warp Ammo IV packs a punch.

This is all assuming you go sniper of course. Different build entirely for shotgun and scorpion melee.

ME3 MP nailed 'less is more' so hard when creating multiple viable builds.
Thinking on this point... Favorite loadouts are going to be weird if we can or can't (both) have different power evolutions for different situations. In the example above you would spec the same powers differently for sniper, shotgun and melee builds. I wonder how that is going to play out.

I hope they keep the same approach for Multiplayer. Keeping the kits focused on certain skills but allowing different specs within them.

X-Frame

I keep forgetting about the ME:A MP.

Man, as much as I can't wait to explore the new worlds in SP I am pumped for me MP as well. I hope we see some videos of it soon.

The MP Beta has to be like a week away.

Buckle

I keep forgetting about the ME:A MP.

Man, as much as I can't wait to explore the new worlds in SP I am pumped for me MP as well. I hope we see some videos of it soon.

The MP Beta has to be like a week away.
Thats the hard part for me, deciding whether to go knee deep in single player for those limited hours I get with Origin Access or give MP a spin (if its up).

Both options are probably going to leave me with crippling withdrawal.

SugarDave

I'll probably use the EA Access thing just to make a perfect character and test performance on my PC, but I won't go any further. 10 hours won't be enough to sate my hunger for the single-player, and I'm hesitant to play the multiplayer as I don't want any spoilers for enemies we'll encounter during the story.

adj_noun

When will the EA Access trial be available? Is it a week before?

http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/23/14358276/mass-effect-andromeda-ea-access-origin-trial-vault

People who subscribe to EA Access or Origin Access will be able to play Mass Effect: Andromeda for up to 10 hours before the game launches, publisher Electronic Arts announced recently.

The trial will go live March 16, five days before Mass Effect: Andromeda’s March 21 release date. EA Access and Origin Access are available on Xbox One and Windows PC, respectively, meaning that as always, PlayStation 4 owners will miss out on the trial.

Nodnol

Just got onto 3 in my replay of the series. Man the gameplay is jarring at first. Feels so much faster and more fluid than 2. Playing them back to back really highlights how the series changed alongside the popularity of FPS' and something like Gears.

Anyway, it's been a blast. Even with its flaws, so far is still say Mass Effect as a franchise is probably my joint favourite of all time. Looking forward to playing 3 for only the second time.

Andromeda needs to take ME3's gameplay, ME2's squad depth (particularly in terms of how well you can get to know your team), and firmly root it in the RPG elements present in the first game. Get the mix right, and we're in to a winner.

My biggest concern, or at least what I think Andromeda's success will hinge on for long term fans, is whether or not the characters are well written and likeable. I'm going to miss Garrus so much. :-(

X-Frame

We're only 3 weeks away from launch and 2 away from the trial. My god, 5 years of waiting coming to a close.

Seriously. 5 years. I remember the night before ME3 came out and I was following all the ridiculous Twitter shenanigans because I was so pumped, and watched as (ME3 Spoiler?? I think?)
Emily Wong died that night over Twitter, haha.

To now go from a game I played on the Xbox 360 in probably 720p to now on the PS4 Pro, plus a new engine, is going to look and play marvelous.

Tovarisc

Been watching Dansgaming replay ME trilogy and I didn't remember how condescending ME3 is. Constantly beating player with "Hey, maybe we should do X / Y" and then in 10 different ways tell what Z is, really spelling it out. Like it doesn't respect players intellect at all and assumes player won't understand anything without game spelling it out.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think it'd be neat if the Reaper threat did play into the Andromeda Initiative but it's never explicitly said nor becomes a noted story beat. I'd love if it's something implied through exposition and subtle revelations through lore logs and conversations, but deliberately left vague. The logic being that the Ryder twins along with a vast, vast majority of the Andromeda Initiative being deliberately left in the dark (as most of the galaxy was pre-Mass Effect 3) so that most would leave with a positive focus and aspiration towards discovery and colonization instead of the baggage of knowing they're a last hope for species survival while literally everyone could potentially be annihilated.

Something that's cleverly implied in the sense that the player who is familiar with the trilogy would realise that the Reaper invasion probably factored in the project, but logically few if anyone in the game world would know at all.

Seriously. 5 years. I remember the night before ME3 came out and I was following all the ridiculous Twitter shenanigans because I was so pumped, and watched as (ME3 Spoiler?? I think?)
Emily Wong died that night over Twitter, haha.

To now go from a game I played on the Xbox 360 in probably 720p to now on the PS4 Pro, plus a new engine, is going to look and play marvelous.

Sheez, that reminds me. I played ME2 on a 21 inch CRT. I had so much trouble reading the text.

Maledict

Yep, that would be fine. Given the timelines I don't think the majority of the crew or people should know at all, but a few key people in control would. It shouldn't be a major thing at all, just part of the back setting you can discover if you dig deep enough.

(Ignoring the 21 years thing entirely of course!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom