• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few shots from the art book. Love the Tempest's design:

Mass-Effect-Andromeda-Art-Worlds-1.jpg

Mass-Effect-Andromeda-Art-Vetra.jpg

Mass-Effect-Andromeda-Art-Tempest.jpg

Excited for this game! My only gripe so far is none of the side characters look badass except the krogan. lol. Not liking the look of the female asari, looks like that spectre asari from LOSB dlc.

A few shots from the art book. Love the Tempest's design:

Mass-Effect-Andromeda-Art-Worlds-1.jpg

It's great to see that concept art. For all the criticism they get for character design and animation, BioWare has been quietly nailing environments since the DA2 fallout. Inquisition had some wonderful vistas even within the cross-generation constraints and all the footage of the Andromeda worlds and interiors has been spot-on. Props to the designers.

I wish they had gone a little weirder with the vehicle and spaceship design but understand that they want everything to be recognizably 'Mass Effect'.

Release this game already so I can go out and explore!

Plasma

Banned
Only three more weeks, I've booked the week off to play it and I'm still having trouble believing it is coming out this soon.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm secretly hoping they delay again, want the release to be as bug free as possible....and by the preview sounds, it's nothing near that.

Big Nikus

Playing the Omega DLC again, it's really great. The first time I played it I was disappointed because I believed it would add a new Omega hub like in ME2 with a decent amount of sidequests. So, playing it for what it is, it's really fun, the fights are great, Aria is a powerhouse (the biotic lash is hilarious, and the flare explosion, damn...), Nyreen is cool and there's some awesome settings. This game is so beautiful
downsampled on PC.

I hope BioWare never change their approach with DLCs. It's nice that a studio that's part of EA resists the urge to go the Season Pass route.

Xando

Some more, leaked, from art book: http://imgur.com/a/bVjKD

Was linking to scans okay?

Getting some massive eden prime vibes from some of the planets shown

The Preview build was an old build. BioWare even advised that since the time the Preview build was made for the press to play, something like a thousand bugs were fixed.

Yeah and it's already gold. Guess it's gonna go into manufacturing this or next week.
Wouldn't wonder me if we get a bigger day one patch though

X-Frame

I'm secretly hoping they delay again, want the release to be as bug free as possible....and by the preview sounds, it's nothing near that.

The Preview build was an old build. BioWare even advised that since the time the Preview build was made for the press to play, something like a thousand bugs were fixed.

prag16

Banned
I believe someone from Bioware said on twitter that hundreds of bugs were fixed between the preview build and the gold build. It stands to reason hundreds more will be fixed between that and the day one update. It should be fine.

Tovarisc

I believe someone from Bioware said on twitter that hundreds of bugs were fixed between the preview build and the gold build. It stands to reason hundreds more will be fixed between that and the day one update. It should be fine.

And would it even be BW game without some jank and bugs? Those are the gems that really make some moments, like Shep talking with Liara in ME3 and looking away in sharp 90 degree angle :D

Those art book scans look great. Make it very tempting to buy, but I've already ordered the hardcover Prima guide, and I only have so many spare credits to spend on MEA-related stuff.

It's good to see a better look at the angara flesh-bags. Originally I couldn't tell if they were free-hanging tentacles that were tucked into their clothes or not... Looks like they are just big flaps of muscular tissue, connected to head/neck/torso.

Killzig

Still thought for some reason that Initation was the first one out, NR is up for pre yeah thanks.

I think it was originally planned to release first. Jemisin said she'd been done with it for a while when I asked her about it a few weeks ago. She couldn't/wouldn't answer anything more about ME:A.

Yeul

It looks excellent! I really like SAM's interfacing between members of the Pathfinder team in addition to information that's useful on the ground. The game appears very vibrant too which is going to look amazing on higher resolutions. I'm going to be taking so many screenshots...

Tovarisc

BioWare really loves to be condescending pricks in their game dialogue, don't they? 24/7 telling player what to do, where to do it, what it results in, what it resulted in and then put that on repeat until player does it.

ME3 was already big offender in that and if this mission is indicator then MEA will one up it.

Yeul

I don't know where that mission is relative to the rest of the game but I would think it's fairly early? I don't think its condescending if they are trying to introduce people to mechanics instead of just throwing up a static overlay of "PRESS X TO ____". At least it's integrated in a believable way.

Tovarisc

I don't know where that mission is relative to the rest of the game but I would think it's fairly early? I don't think its condescending if they are trying to introduce people to mechanics instead of just throwing up a static overlay of "PRESS X TO ____". At least it's integrated in a believable way.

This one one of missions from PeeBee's loyalty mission chain so not super early game. ME3 was condescending like this from start all the way to the credits, MEA seems to one up that level.

BioWare really loves to be condescending pricks in their game dialogue, don't they? 24/7 telling player what to do, where to do it, what it results in, what it resulted in and then put that on repeat until player does it.

ME3 was already big offender in that and if this mission is indicator then MEA will one up it.
I think you're projecting. They're not trying to personally offend you. That dialogue exists for a reason. Have you ever seen a non-gamer, or even a not so proficient one try to play a video game?

Tovarisc

I think you're projecting. They're not trying to personally offend you. That dialogue exists for a reason. Have you ever seen a non-gamer, or even a not so proficient one try to play a video game?

I have, my ex. Didn't take her that long to understand UI prompts and nav points.

Maybe I'm projecting, not sure tbh. ME3 made me more than once feel like moron because how it gripped my hand and lead me firmly to, very obvious, answers. What to interact with and such. MEA is taking that to another level in that mission.

I do get it why they are doing it, I just think they are taking it several steps too far.

I have, my ex. Didn't take her that long to understand UI prompts and nav points.

Maybe I'm projecting, not sure tbh. ME3 made me more than once feel like moron because how it gripped my hand and lead me firmly to, very obvious, answers. What to interact with and such. MEA is taking that to another level in that mission.

I do get it why they are doing it, I just think they are taking it several steps too far.
Can you give the most egregious example? I watched the first 5 minutes, and I don't see how what they're saying is so evidently out of character as to clearly be there solely for tutorial purposes. The dialogue sounds like that of a group of people figuring out what they're doing.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Was this the big IGN video shinobi was talking about? I was hoping for more than just combat again. Show us the galaxy map, the Nomad, the hubs, typical non-spoilery conversation scene.

I'm guessing there might be some of that in Bioware's next gameplay video series about exploration at least.

Tovarisc

Can you give the most egregious example? I watched the first 5 minutes, and I don't see how what they're saying is so evidently out of character as to clearly be there solely for tutorial purposes. The dialogue sounds like that of a group of people figuring out what they're doing.

Take that 5 min and extended it over full duration. It's constantly holding your hand and constantly telling where to go, what to push, what it results in and resulted in. Even when you do similar stuff from earlier on in the video.

This one one of missions from PeeBee's loyalty mission chain so not super early game. ME3 was condescending like this from start all the way to the credits, MEA seems to one up that level.
Actually, since this guy was playing it post main story completion (AFAIK), for all we know, this is the first time you ever do most of this stuff, so you get hit with tons of dialogue handholding you through everything so you can complete the mission.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Not gonna watch the loyalty mission vid to avoid spoilers.

Just tell me gaf, for those who watched, be HONEST. Animations aside, does it look decent? Is this a worthy ME game?

Lt-47

Take that 5 min and extended it over full duration. It's constantly holding your hand and constantly telling where to go, what to push, what it results in and resulted in. Even when you do similar stuff from earlier on in the video.

We don't know how much of that stuff you do before that mission. It could be annoying in the long run, then again I'm playing though ME3 right now and it never bothered me once

Not gonna watch the loyalty mission vid to avoid spoilers.

Just tell me gaf, for those who watched, be HONEST. Animations aside, does it look decent? Is this a worthy ME game?

Not much we haven seen honestly it more combat (with a bad player) with a tiny bit of traversal and scanning in between. Aside from the very pretty graphic it not mind blowing but it's not bad either

Well, if (and this might be a very big if) this is the type of dialogue we're getting regarding mechanics, new or otherwise, then... What's the big deal? How annoying is this really compared to sometimes ending up getting stuck? And besides, I remember the same dialogue being present when you were doing detective mode stuff in the Witcher 3.

I understand that it bothers you, but it personally doesn't bother me. I think in-character dialogue has to be particularly bad for the "immersion" factor to be outweighed by the "in actual fact, the devs are hinting at what I should be doing here" factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom