• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what to think of Sara's lines so far. "Oops" and "Hey there little guy", sounds kinda weird and something I would expect a college girl to say, lol. I get that they wanted to go for the cute and naive young woman vibe with her but it seems weird to have a girl who was in the military having that attitude. Wonder how she ever got through boot camp without being chewed out by a drill sergeant or something.

Environments look nice, and my worries could be because they cut things out and all the dialogue is completely out of context so it sounds worse.

Retrofluxed

Not gonna watch the loyalty mission vid to avoid spoilers.

Just tell me gaf, for those who watched, be HONEST. Animations aside, does it look decent? Is this a worthy ME game?

Its really just more combat, which we have all seen a dozen times at this point. SAM's hand holding is annoying, almost Navi levels, but I really have a feeling it is supposed to be done early in the game (there was even a player hint about dodging on the screen). Also, it is hard to watch, the player is bad and controller aiming makes me want to pull my hair out.

Tovarisc

capturew2j0w.jpg

capture6qk9h.jpg

https://twitter.com/tibermoon/status/836642158463569921

Not this shit again (hint: She's not even carrying an Avenger in the gameplay bits). Combat looks ok, Peebee continues to endear herself to ... I don't know who finds these kind of characters appealing. She's like the bad sidekick in an otherwise enjoyable action movie. They should have gotten Rob Schneider to voice her.

Preorder CANCELED.

But I like PeeBee. I'm assuming a little dialogue was cut during the
escape shuttle launch
, though.

edit: Sam's dialogue is a little annoying, but I generally tune that stuff out.

ViciousDS

Banned
only made it about 3 minutes and said

dear god its beautiful
default ryder will be changed as the facial is still awkward to me
and

I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT

Xando

Not gonna watch the loyalty mission vid to avoid spoilers.

Just tell me gaf, for those who watched, be HONEST. Animations aside, does it look decent? Is this a worthy ME game?

Most is combat and that definitely looks like Mass Effect + lots of jumping and boosting.

Combat feels like Mass Effect 3, which is not a bad thing given how good the MP was. I want to see more conversations and dialogue in non combat situation trailers, though, not shooty shooty bang bang. We know shooting people is expected, just PLEASE don't make it a boring shoot-fest like Fallout 4.

Bombless

Peebee confirmed to be worst character. Man, the low number of party members was already annoying, this makes it even worse.

At least the combat looks great despite the IGN guy being terrible at it.

Dunno how the facial animations are still so off, I loved how expressive Shani was in the Witcher 3 Hearts of Stone DLC and how realistic her expressions were. This is a whole new level of jank

Yeah that video definitely didn't have any endearing moments and I'm not particularly seeing the love for S.A.M.

Going from EDI who has a unique voice and relatively clear speech pattern to something monotone, robotized, and uninteresting sounding is pretty jarring. Still don't like Pelessaria but nothing new there.

And god that janky character response to rocks, slopes, and hills is just like the characters response to terrain collision in Inquisition, which was aggravating.

Thank goodness. One less irritation.

Yeah that video definitely didn't have any endearing moments and I'm not particularly seeing the love for S.A.M.

Going from EDI who has a unique voice and relatively clear speech pattern to something monotone, robotized, and uninteresting sounding is pretty jarring. Still don't like Pelessaria but nothing new there.

And god that janky character response to rocks, slopes, and hills is just like the characters response to terrain collision in Inquisition, which was aggravating.

Well, Rob, if I had to guess, SAM is probably not going to be as "humanized" as EDI, probably for story/lore reasons (tighter restraints on civilian AI than terrorist ones).

And I was just thinking that the regular walk/run animations were pretty smooth, lol.

DevilDog

I honestly don't care about facial animations, they were never part of why I loved BioWare anyway.

Also for a lot of their workers, it's their first game with the Frostbite engine. Cut them some slack, come on.

We really need a button to tell peebee to shut up.

I'll take her out of the Tempest just for the loyalty mission, the rest of the game is going to be all Cora/Drack/Vetra/Jaal with me.

Spinx

SAM can go fuck itself. SHUT. UP ! And that stupid robo voice

Not being able to command my squad which powers to use, when and on who is just... why why why why why why why whyyyyyyyyyyyy would you do that !

I can't

Is it true? There's no power wheel ? Really ?

Well, Rob, if I had to guess, SAM is probably not going to be as "humanized" as EDI, probably for story/lore reasons (tighter restraints on civilian AI than terrorist ones).

I don't care about S.A.M being humanized, I just want an AI that doesn't sound utterly disinterested in everything it's commenting on. Or with a ridiculous synthesized voice changer that makes it almost impossible to decipher what it's saying half the time while in combat.

Even Avina has a more unique and distinct personality and she's just a dumb VI.

I don't care about S.A.M being humanized, I just want an AI that doesn't sound utterly disinterested in everything it's commenting on. Or with a ridiculous synthesized voice changer that makes it almost impossible to decipher what it's saying half the time while in combat.

I'm really not trying to call you out or anything here, but I've noticed that you're pretty negative on the game overall. Maybe you're just reacting this way because you're predisposed to it at this point? I would just wait and judge what you'll like and not like when you've actually experienced it, and not trust your first reactions too much.

I would also put this voice under Avina and EDI at this point, but I know that I more than likely think that way because I'm already familiar with the first two.

watygkdw.gif

Every new video with Sara Ryder there's a moment like this, it's like Bioware is completely unaware of all the jokes.

Can we see a human being in the same situation? How about a game that does it better? I haven't really seen a person being jerked back in the same way while standing in a moving vehicle enough, let alone being able to minutely study at every single detail of every single movement of that person in that situation to confidently say that this does not approximate that.

I think in terms of people whining about animation, Mass Effect might have been better off just doing "people standing still / slightly emoting while talking, maybe with a pose thrown in here and there" like The Witcher 3 did.

Lt-47

watygkdw.gif

Every new video with Sara Ryder there's a moment like this, it's like Bioware is completely unaware of all the jokes.

Looks fine to me. She looks stupid but I think that's kind of the point. Could be less stiff like every animation we've seen, but it's not that bad. Maybe it's because I'm used to her face after all this time.

Avina is 10 time worse, I can't stand her irritating voice. Which doesn't make SAM voice great mind you, it kind of make sense for an AI to be monotonous but I'm not feeling it for now

DevilDog

The less human AI's are, the more authentic and realistic they are. SAM is just a robotic voice telling you things. It should be as dry as possible.

Gameplay in the Peebee mission footage looks good... but holy handholding helpers, Batman! Does SAM really need to explain using the Observers to overcome obstacles three times in a row or dump clues before you even have a chance to examine your environment?

I don't mind the exposition at the start of the mission but they seem to assume players have goldfish memory... why explain the same concepts repeatedly? We're supposed to be explorers, let us dick around with these in-world systems at our own pace.

dr_rus

watygkdw.gif

You know what? I don't care at this point. Just make a good game which isn't a MMOG wannabe like DAI with a story which isn't about AIs killing all life just for fun like in ME3 and with a gameplay which is more than your typical third person shooter. Fuck the animation quality, not important right now.

Doodis

I was one of the first to bitch about how Scott and Sara looked from those shots in their character kits. But I don't expect every cutscene in the game to look like it was produced by Blur.

This footage looks good to me. I only watched the first couple minutes because I don't want to spoil anything, but I'm happy with how things are looking.

Well, I'm officially staying out of Gaming's Mass Effect threads, at the very least. I keep finding myself wanting to reply, but thinking "what's the point". I don't think there's anything Bioware can do save from literally making the best and most groundbreaking game ever to turn sentiments regarding themselves as a whole. It's no longer enough to just improve upon their previous work, and people aren't even waiting for their games to release anymore to brand them failures. I just hope that if they end up delivering, that the zeitgeist surrounding the game won't be so sour to the point of making the game's quality moot.

Staf

Well, I'm officially staying out of Gaming's Mass Effect threads, at the very least. I keep finding myself wanting to reply, but thinking "what's the point". I don't think there's anything Bioware can do save from literally making the best and most groundbreaking game ever to turn sentiments regarding themselves as a whole. It's no longer enough to just improve upon their previous work, and people aren't even waiting for their games to release anymore to brand them failures. I just hope that if they end up delivering, that the zeitgeist surrounding the game won't be so sour to the point of making the game's quality moot.

Why are you so emotionally invested in this? Not the game itself, i can understand that, but the reception of it.

Fruitster

Even if Bioware did make the greatest game ever made, people online would still be lining up to shit on them for it. I don't think they can do much to turn that back sadly. It's just the way of the world.

Retrofluxed

Even if Bioware did make the greatest game ever made, people online would still be lining up to shit on them for it. I don't think they can do much to turn that back sadly. It's just the way of the world.

Honestly, I'm just waiting for someone to finally crack and type "But Manveer Heir! Bioware are filthy SJWs!!!1"

DevilDog

They removed squadmate deaths and save importing, both of which were incredibly ground breaking, and one of the biggest selling points and identifiers of Mass Effect.

This game is several huge steps backwards already. I'm waiting to see things that will redeemn this but so far I haven't seen much, other than the technical aspect. No matter what people blabber on about, the technical aspect is better than ever.

I don't really see why people are complaining so much about the faces, because honestly I think they look pretty good, or at least far better than they did in the trilogy. The gameplay looks nice although I do hope they go more metroid prime with the scanning/detective vision rather than Witcher 3, since it has the potential to really bring the worlds to life with interesting facts and lore tidbits about the different planets and cultures which would really benefit the explorer vibe this game seems to be going for.

On a side note, it seems that you get a new name for each profile as you level their ranks up. The new weapons also seem fairly interesting, although I wonder how Bioware will differentiate many of them since there seems to be quite a few fully automatic assault rifles that look like they play the same.

Lt-47

They removed squadmate deaths and save importing, both of which were incredibly ground breaking, and one of the biggest selling points and identifiers of Mass Effect.

This game is several huge steps backwards already. I'm waiting to see things that will redeemn this but so far I haven't seen much, other than the technical aspect. No matter what people blabber on about, the technical aspect is better than ever.

They haven't removed save importing. And squad mate death is both awesome ans terrible at the same time, ME3 would have been a much better game character wise without everyone being able to die in 2. So I kind of understand why they chose not to do it again.

The new weapons also seem fairly interesting, although I wonder how Bioware will differentiate many of them since there seems to be quite a few fully automatic assault rifles that look like they play the same.

I've been wondering about that too. Especially since it seems you can make pretty much anything with the crafting system (grenade launching avenger/ laser widow)

Mediking

I don't really see why people are complaining so much about the faces, because honestly I think they look pretty good, or at least far better than they did in the trilogy. The gameplay looks nice although I do hope they go more metroid prime with the scanning/detective vision rather than Witcher 3, since it has the potential to really bring the worlds to life with interesting facts and lore tidbits about the different planets and cultures which would really benefit the explorer vibe this game seems to be going for.

On a side note, it seems that you get a new name for each profile as you level their ranks up. The new weapons also seem fairly interesting, although I wonder how Bioware will differentiate many of them since there seems to be quite a few fully automatic assault rifles that look like they play the same.

The face thing has to be a meme at this point. FemRyder is pretty as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom