• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

amoebae

My issue with the models as presented BTW is that male ryder in particulr just looks like another NPC model in the game. Shepherd stood out a mile away with his iconic looks - there was no-one else ingame who had the same level of detail, and you couldn't generate a character like him.

Scott Ryder looks like an NPC. He doesn't look to be based off the face model in the same way at all as Sheploo.

Now that might me me being really unfair, and when we are ingame he looks great, but I can't shake the fact he doesn't look special like shepherd did, and to me personally actually looks worse as a character model because of it (despite the increased graphics, polygons etc etc).

I like this about them, though. I get the impression it's a deliberate design choice, to really drive home the point that they weren't originally intended to be the pathfinder, and are just young soldiers (or, rather, people with some military training) thrown into something bigger than them.

It's thematically consistent, in my eyes, tying in with the larger concept of going to an entirely new galaxy (in an entirely new chapter of the franchise). We're tiny, we're nobodies, appearing in this new, huge, established place; Sara and Scott are relatively unremarkable people thrust into this relatively remarkable situation, and them looking 'ordinary' (although they're still both attractive) just reinforces that idea.

Tovarisc

Watch how she can lift an unconscious guy in full body armor like it weight nothing like FemShep used to do. :p

Is there any exoskeleton properties to suits and armors in ME universe, from lore perspective? Even femShep is on skinny side for being professional soldier, but still is fast and quite strong for her size.

My issue with the models as presented BTW is that male ryder in particulr just looks like another NPC model in the game. Shepherd stood out a mile away with his iconic looks - there was no-one else ingame who had the same level of detail, and you couldn't generate a character like him.

Scott Ryder looks like an NPC. He doesn't look to be based off the face model in the same way at all as Sheploo.

Now that might me me being really unfair, and when we are ingame he looks great, but I can't shake the fact he doesn't look special like shepherd did, and to me personally actually looks worse as a character model because of it (despite the increased graphics, polygons etc etc).

I do agree with this. Not necessarily that it looks worse, but that they don't look as special. I don't know if I'd call that a downside necessarily, though. Shepard looked special and he WAS special. It played into his Chosen One thing. The Ryders look more normal, which seems like it might fit their role in the story, assuming Bioware's telling the truth about the plot not being about saving the galaxy or anything on that scale.

I really enjoyed all the positive feedback during the combat and skill profile videos. Trolls and shitposters being buried under positive comments, it was great.

I think this preview video has nothing interesting to offer, all I saw was boring combat (I blame the player), characters never shut up, scan this, scan that, hand holding and terrible AI. This leads to frustration and the negative wave begins, amplified by the regular shitposting.

WCpUnfa.gif

That's the only positive point I saw. The weight of your armor and how your body and legs react to the environment... and that's all.... IMO.

Fucking LOVE the footwork there. And agreed that the player contributed to the combat looking boring, they basically just bruteforced their way through, with very little interesting play.

FemRyder's waist looks reeeeally thin there.

It does, yeah. She's pretty slim, and unlike a lot of the other armors we've seen this one doesn't have a lot of mid-body coverage, so there's a big honking chunk of armor up top and on bottom, which throws it into pretty stark contrast.

Is there any exoskeleton properties to suits and armors in ME universe, from lore perspective? Even femShep is on skinny side for being professional soldier, but still is fast and quite strong for her size.

Some, but not all. Adding powered armor was a mod in 1, and there were pieces that increased strength in 2 and 3. I think that all armor is at least semi-powered, though, just to support its own weight, which has a side effect of mildly increasing the wearer's output strength.

I really enjoyed all the positive feedback during the combat and skill profile videos. Trolls and shitposters being buried under positive comments, it was great.

I think this preview video has nothing interesting to offer, all I saw was boring combat (I blame the player), characters never shut up, scan this, scan that, hand holding and terrible AI. This leads to frustration and the negative wave begins, amplified by the regular shitposting.

WCpUnfa.gif

That's the only positive point I saw. The weight of your armor and how your body and legs react to the environment... and that's all.... IMO.

Wonder how that girl even walks with all that tactical gear on based on how skinny she is.

Also, what's a 'mock review'?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

I think the answer is simply that Bioware only though about the male Shep model, animation and "weight balance" when creating the trilogy and simply used the same ones for fem Shep for saving time & resources. They didn't take time to think "Wait, femShep is lifting an armored and unconscious Kaidan on her shoulders like he weight nothing??"

Also, what's a 'mock review'?

Edit: Beaten badly.

Reviewers, usually contractors and others who have been in the game journalism business for a long time, are paid by the publisher to play through, give their thoughts and "mock review" the game to gauge critical response, Metacritic scores etc. They're usually fairly close most of the time.

I was told about Horizon's recent scores and they were great.

When are industry reviews hitting?

I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case. I'm thinking low 80's for Andromeda on metacritic.
It's not nailed down yet but the plan is a good deal before release. Issue is making sure the patch is ready for reviewers.

Anyway, mock reviews are in line with Horizon's mock reviews for the most part. "Good" and "great" are interchangeable. They were great.

dr_rus

It's not nailed down yet but the plan is a good deal before release. Issue is making sure the patch is ready for reviewers.

Anyway, mock reviews are in line with Horizon's mock reviews for the most part. "Good" and "great" are interchangeable. They were great.

Let's hope that this will be true for real reviews and the game itself. I'm ready to be pleasantly surprised by MEA after all the lackluster showings.

DOWN

Banned
Well we do know that the patch is going to actually go live before EA Access trial, but I believe we've had some EA games in which the EA Access trial has already started while the reviews still aren't out. Often players get to try it themselves before the embargo lifts with how EA Access is structured in relation to embargoes.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I didn't understand how Annihilation Field worked with my first couple characters. But now that I do, horry shit.

I didn't understand how Annihilation Field worked with my first couple characters. But now that I do, horry shit.

Maybe it might be because I don't know how to use it properly, but I feel the exact opposite about annihilation field. On bronze or silver it can be pretty fun quickly chaining together combos with an n7 fury or asari valkyrie, but on gold or platinum I feel that you need to be way too close to use it properly making it pretty useless for me IMO. I honestly prefer the vanilla human adept with his warp + shockwave, sure you can't chain them as quickly but each explosion is stronger as far as I remember.

Oh, wow. Positivity. This feels good. Why was I in that other thread again?

The visuals in this game are just ridiculously impressive. Loved seeing the squad taking down a single powerful Krogan there at the end of the vid. Reminded me of when we first got Liara at her dig site and had that hell of a fight with that beast Krogan. I loved the challenge of avoiding him on hardcore so he couldn't 1 shot charge me.

Predicting mid-80s to low 90's for Andromeda based on that info. Signs seem to be good then.

From the way things were feeling from fans the media alike, I was expecting it to be around 83/84 ish. Would be nice if it could get into the high 80's or even low 90's.

diaspora

I should hope it performs well, I usually gain an appreciation of BioWare's writing, v/o and mocap when playing other games.
Horizon is a lot of fun but the writing is fucking terrible, conversation mocap too.

It's nice that we are starting to get clips of long interrupted gameplay. What I really want to see is a conversation using the dialogue wheel. I feel like we've seen very little of it in all the videos they've shown.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Only "good" mock reviews? 6/10 confirmed.

Mindlog

Maybe it might be because I don't know how to use it properly, but I feel the exact opposite about annihilation field. On bronze or silver it can be pretty fun quickly chaining together combos with an n7 fury or asari valkyrie, but on gold or platinum I feel that you need to be way too close to use it properly making it pretty useless for me IMO. I honestly prefer the vanilla human adept with his warp + shockwave, sure you can't chain them as quickly but each explosion is stronger as far as I remember.
I mean this is unfair because there are videos of great players abusing every character on Platinum, but the N7 Fury is definitely Top Tier. She does take some effort to get there though. Since she's squishy you have to be on top of your angles and ready to throw yourself through a wall at any time. That hyper-aggressive playstyle is hard to top. Right up there with the very underrated Slayer Vanguard.

prag16

Banned
Damn. Didn't look at the IGN gameplay trailer thread until now. And I should have stayed here where it's safe. Bioware derangement syndrome continues unabated.

Mad internet points to ThoseDeafMutes though for the timely Monty Python reference. (Only redeeming quality of the last three pages of that topic.)

I should hope it performs well, I usually gain an appreciation of BioWare's writing, v/o and mocap when playing other games.
Horizon is a lot of fun but the writing is fucking terrible, conversation mocap too.

Yeah I've been playing Horizon and while I'm enjoying the game so far, no sane person can criticize Andromeda for its animations while giving a pass to Horizon. From my two hours or so of play they seem about equivalent to one another.

Which is fine for reference, I don't mind the facial animations looking a bit funky and the in game animations being sometimes jerky because I'm not a crazy person.

The writing has been pretty stilted but I'm waiting to see if it gets better.

Watch how she can lift an unconscious guy in full body armor like it weight nothing like FemShep used to do. :p

Shepard post ME2 is superhumanly strong due to having much of their body replaced with cybernetics. Prior to that, there was a powered armour upgrade in ME1 as well as standard Alliance genemods. Femshep's build is pretty dumb, but it's not like Sheploo could have done any of the feats of strength Shepard pulled off either.

IKizzLE

Yeah I've been playing Horizon and while I'm enjoying the game so far, no sane person can criticize Andromeda for its animations while giving a pass to Horizon. From my two hours or so of play they seem about equivalent to one another.

Which is fine for reference, I don't mind the facial animations looking a bit funky and the in game animations being sometimes jerky because I'm not a crazy person.

The writing has been pretty stilted but I'm waiting to see if it gets better.
But shouldn't you expect far better from a studio known for rpgs, and the fourth entry in the series? Comparing it to horizons faults better mean andromedas highs are higher than horizons.

But shouldn't you expect far better from a studio known for rpgs, and the fourth entry in the series?

Breadth of content has to be considered as well. I don't know how long Horizon can be when you take your time, but I'm guessing it's not nearly as long and has the amount of dialogue/outcomes that a game like MEA has. Could be wrong...just a hunch.

DOWN

Banned
But shouldn't you expect far better from a studio known for rpgs, and the fourth entry in the series? Comparing it to horizons faults better mean andromedas highs are higher than horizons.
Mass Effect has to deal with making an animation range that won't fuck up when your character looks nothing like their defaults

They can't guess exactly which lips you chose with what eyes to make it all hit the exact right spots that games with no customization like Witch 3 and Horizon can slide by without. Mass Effect has to be a little looser than we dream of because we might choose big lips or small lips and angry eyes or soft eyes and the dozens of hours of lines are tuned to work as well as they can for dozens of slightly varying faces.

Seems plenty of people were aware DAI was well made and enjoyable based on how successful it was, despite its shortcomings. GAF gave it RPG of the year and 4th best game in 2014 despite many pretending it wasn't a good time when they first beat it.

Mass Effect should easily improve on the DAI tech, and the previews have been very positive.

Negativity is the way when it comes to modern BioWare it seems.

Horizon isn't made by some podunk nobody studio, it's a Sony first party with a number of games under their own belt. These are similarly budgeted games and experience doesn't make up for a difference in what's likely to be significantly more scripted dialogue sequences for Andromeda.

Mass Effect has to deal with making an animation range that won't fuck up when your character looks nothing like their defaults

They can't guess exactly which lips you chose with what eyes to make it all hit the exact right spots that games with no customization like Witch 3 and Horizon can slide by without. Mass Effect has to be a little looser than we dream of because we might choose big lips or small lips and a grey eyes or soft eyes and the dozens of hours of lines are tuned to work as well as they can for dozens of slightly varying faces.

So true. Very rarely recognized how difficult the face customization options makes things on devs who have to account for all the variations. The facial animations are put squarely up against the W3's,etc of the world when they're not the same thing technically. They're talked about as if they are on absolute equal footing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I hate to do subposting and always condemn cross thread bitching, but the reality is BioWare threads on GAF and numerous other places on the internet are utterly atrocious. Maybe it's a bias speaking through, but I'd hope not as I like to think I can apply critical thought to even the things I love, but they're routinely a cesspit of pile-on shitposting. Regardless of what reputation BioWare has or has not deservedly earned from their accountable failings and mistakes, those who refuse to treat each new title as its own thing are the loudest chestbeaters in every thread.

It's exhausting, hollow, and futile towards any conductive discussion. And it's so blatantly obvious the standard projected against BioWare and the less impressive qualities of their titles is greatly in excess of the way other developers are treated. The Witcher 3 is one of my favourite games ever made and I have zero belief Andromeda will top that, but I'm not so deluded to ignore the heavily scripted approach to quest design (particular detective vision), rough and reused animations in cutscenes, unusually low quality assets (eg: npc hair), and so on.

BioWare is creating these mammoth action RPGs with an tremendous quantity of asset diversity and playable content, but they're uniquely held to the same standard as a short, tightly scripted, linear project like those from Naughty Dog. If people want to talk the nuances in quest and game system design, character writing and narrative beats, and what does and does not work and more importantly as to all these things why, then I'm open ears. But fuck off with repetitive le mass effect maymay gif XD spam posting and the tired retreads of empty arguments relating to trivial inconsistences with a project made on a development scope that dwarves most others in the industry.

So many are so quick to pile on BioWare yet fail to provide comparison of developers doing consistently better across the board. Often it's a similar level of jank, but ignored or favourited for that developer while BioWare is crucified. It's tiring bullshit.

DOWN

Banned
like maybe I'm an idiot but what game does better tech regarding custom character animation and player choice dialogue? Like is there one that looks better with all the lip sync and animation that I'm forgetting?

Yeul

I also can't help but feel as though people take a look at Andromeda with conflicting requests. Meaning, they look at the game and say they can't feel any of the "old magic" or it looks like a "retread" but then go on to complain that the game took away a mechanic or an aspect that they liked and thought was so "Mass Effect" that "how could they take it out?". Some things will change, and some will stay the same. It is not a particularly difficult concept to grasp, especially 5 years later. Besides, coming from a trilogy of games with characters you are familiar with will always hold some meaning over new faces not seen in context and only in small vertical slices. People are obviously going to give their impressions, but I believe there is a lack of perspective in some of them.

like maybe I'm an idiot but what game does better tech regarding custom character animation and player choice dialogue? Like is there one that looks better with all the lip sync and animation that I'm forgetting?

I can't think of one. Bioware seems to be the only one going into the future with it. You've got companies like Obsidian just copying super old school RPG's (no disrespect intended, they're awesome) that have all that player choice diaogue, etc...W3 is of course awesome but you're stuck as one character with hardly any customization.

I don't see anyone besides Bioware trying to take party based Western RPG's to the next level when it comes to player choice/dialogue/character customization. Isn't the amount of lines in MEA supposed to be absolutely mind boggling? I seem to remember hearing some insane number.

And don't worry I'm willing to be an idiot in these GAF MEA threads. Already got killed upstairs for something. Starting to kinda get used to it.

I also can't help but feel as though people take a look at Andromeda with conflicting requests. Meaning, they look at the game and say they can't feel any of the "old magic" or it looks like a "retread" but then go on to complain that the game took away a mechanic or an aspect that they liked and thought was so "Mass Effect" that "how could they take it out?". Some things will change, and some will stay the same. It is not a particularly difficult concept to grasp, especially 5 years later. Besides, coming from a trilogy of games with characters you are familiar with will always hold some meaning over new faces not seen in context and only in small vertical slices. People are obviously going to give their impressions, but I believe there is a lack of perspective in some of them.

Well said. I agree.

DOWN

Banned
At the end of some of the recent videos they put on YouTube, it had an Little promo at the end saying get a free Nomad skin and it looked kinda chrome. Where do I find that skin?? It said MassEffect.com but I don't see it. It's at the end of this video https://youtu.be/nFMoZGBzAHQ

EatChildren

Anyone upgrading PC for ME:A?

The 1080Ti is very tempting, need to see Vetra in full detail.

I don't need to, but I would, ideally a HDR 4K GSync monitor and a 1080 Ti. But I think my 1440p GSync and 1080 are acceptable. I'm going to wait until the aftermarket 1080 Tis hit the market and the monitors have gone through an inevitably questionable QA period. Replay Andromeda and The Witcher 3 in glorious native 4K.

Yeul

Well said. I agree.

Anyone upgrading PC for ME:A?

The 1080Ti is very tempting, need to see Vetra in full detail.

I'm in the process of doing this right now...lol. Definitely upgrading from my 970 and thankfully the board partners look like they are putting up their versions on the 10th. I kind of want to move to a mATX case as well so I've been looking at new motherboards which means new CPU and new RAM. I'd love to get in on a HDR monitor too, but that is taking forever and the price makes me want to gouge out my eyes so I guess I can wait on that bit.

So much money. Kill me.

diaspora

My 980 is gonna be fine. More worried about my 2600k. Gonna wait for origin access to see how it runs before deciding on PS4Pro or PC
Your CPU and GPU are better than the PS4 pro's, go with PC IMO.

Part of why I'm so glad I invested in the PC version of the trilogy is the ability to go back to it on the same platform 5 years later at 4 times the resolution I originally played it at in 4K, with a better framerate, mods, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom