• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone upgrading PC for ME:A?

The 1080Ti is very tempting, need to see Vetra in full detail.

Upgrading my wife's PC from an Athlon 860K to a Ryzen 1700X. Her PC stutters with Inquisition.

According to the CPU-Z benchmark, the 860K's per core performance is about on par with a stock 2500K...

Which incidentally, I have an overclocked (4.5GHz) 2500k that I'm also upgrading soon. It also stuttered with DA:I, just not as much.

Both are still leaps and bounds better than PS4, though. DA:I stutters like hell even at 30fps on PS4, so I can't help but think ME:A will be the same.

diaspora

I know. Unfortunately that does not translate into real life performance with some PC ports sometimes.

Though Frostbite usually runs pretty well on PC
Sure, but this will IMO because as you said frostbite is great on PC. Plus, like I said, the platform is generationless- you can play now or 5 years from now on newer hardware, you can't get that otherwise.

AyzOn

Neo Member
I really hope my PC can handle ME as Im somewhere in between the recommended and minimum requirements, so I have to hope they are accurate for once.
(I7 3770, GTX670,16GB Ram)

I really hope my PC can handle ME as Im somewhere in between the recommended and minimum requirements, so I have to hope they are accurate for once.
(I7 3770, GTX670,16GB Ram)

I'm currently i5 2500K, RX 480, 8GB RAM

will be

R7 1700X, RX 480, 32GB RAM

That said, your i7 does have more cores than my i5. You may still be ok. DA:I was not a smooth experience for me.

Hopefully I can get this to run on my shitty old laptop, even on the lowest settings at a lowered resolution. i7-4710HQ, GTX 850m and 8gb Ram. I would build a new pc, but parts are so expensive here in Canada and I have to save money for school, so I really have to make do with what I have right now.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I was initially a bit puzzled about how BioWare was handling Andromeda marketing and the initial media revealing the game didn't get me all hot and bothered. Allthough I ended up rather disliking Fallout 4, Bethesda did a great job with the first trailer.

However, with the more recent media for Andromeda, I'm starting to feel it more! The hubs, alien flora and fauna, flexibility of Frostbite engine, the weapon load-outs - there's lot here to like. Still a bit worried about the story and characters but gameplay, music, graphics look (mostly) fine if to me. I wasn't bothered much by the animation and face jank in previous ME games and I don't really see it bothering me in Andromeda.

amoebae

Honestly im hoping that my Geforce 1080 + i5 3570k at 4.2ghz can give me 1440p/60 with everything at max, with the exception of SMAA.

Do you mean SSAO or HBAO? Because SMAA is low-cost anti-aliasing. SSAO is ambient occlusion, which I suspect is what you're talking about.

I've got an i7-4790 and a 980Ti so I'm not worried about this even at 1440p. That said, the 1080Ti looks amazing, and considering I'm all about the eye candy for screenshots I might be tempted. I'll wait and see what people are saying about it first.

Maledict

Out of interest what were they like for ME3? Did any of them flag up the ending.

Given the actual reviews didn't, and indeed the industry then went on a tirade against players who were unhappy, I'm not sure what value they have. I trust people on message boards more than reviews these days, and have done for years.

Tovarisc

MaurnT1.png

https://twitter.com/AarynFlynn/status/836935415244423168

Ralemont

not me
ME3 made more sense with the Leviathan DLC, felt less like space magic after.

I've always been curious about this actually. As someone who played the original endings, the Catalyst (obviously) comes out of nowhere. I think the closest we ever get to foreshadowing is when Vendetta suggests something has been controlling the Reapers.

Now with Leviathan, does the Catalyst still even feel like a plot twist? Or rather, is the only real twist left that the leader of the Reapers is also the Catalyst for the Crucible, and that after Leviathan players are basically expecting to see the Intelligence at some point in the end game?

Given the actual reviews didn't, and indeed the industry then went on a tirade against players who were unhappy, I'm not sure what value they have. I trust people on message boards more than reviews these days, and have done for years.

Eh, I certainly don't. I trust well-written posts more than badly-written reviews, sure, but that's self-evident almost.

Mock reviews are good btw.

Hmm, this is definitely "spoiled BioWare fan" of me but I was hoping for a bit more than good. I like Inquisition a lot but I find it hard to believe Andromeda won't be a better game, and it'd be ashame if the MC didn't reflect that. Ah well, we'll see soon enough. I'm guessing review embargo will coincide with EA Access starting?

Mindlog

Yeah, my favorite campaign in the series is ME1 and I bash the hell out of that game. Most of it is just because of the free ride pedestal it gets compared to the sequels. Also the transition of level VII to VIII ammo is intolerably grindy without mods.

Hell, my avatar is Mass Effect 1.

I've always been curious about this actually. As someone who played the original endings, the Catalyst (obviously) comes out of nowhere. I think the closest we ever get to foreshadowing is when Vendetta suggests something has been controlling the Reapers.

Now with Leviathan, does the Catalyst still even feel like a plot twist? Or rather, is the only real twist left that the leader of the Reapers is also the Catalyst for the Crucible, and that after Leviathan players are basically expecting to see the Intelligence at some point in the end game?

Leviathan pretty much fully explains the Reapers themselves such that their plans make sense in the context of the world but I don't think it really foreshadows that the game's going to end by you talking to the Reaper intelligence. Still, just by filling in the context for why the Reapers exists, it makes that conversation with the Catalyst a lot more palatable (even if some people can't get over it assuming the form of that child or whatever)

Dany

Banned
Getting a physical disc copy of ME:A. I work night shift and I'm actually free the night of the 21st leading into the 22nd. So instead of working I'll just be playing this game :)

Add me on PSN folks: DanPMan0317
i made it when i was 12 and I hate sony won't let you change your user name.

amoebae

Eh, I certainly don't. I trust well-written posts more than badly-written reviews, sure, but that's self-evident almost.

Hmm, this is definitely "spoiled BioWare fan" of me but I was hoping for a bit more than good. I like Inquisition a lot but I find it hard to believe Andromeda won't be a better game, and it'd be ashame if the MC didn't reflect that. Ah well, we'll see soon enough. I'm guessing review embargo will coincide with EA Access starting?

I'm playing through Leviathan at the moment having not played the game for ages, so I'm interested to see how it feels going from that into the late-game stuff. I'm one of those absolutely awful people who is fine with the ending though (even pre-extended cut) so I'm perhaps not the best person to judge.

I reckon MEA will be better than ME3 and DAI both. The difficulty for MEA is always going to be that it's coming off the back of a very much-loved original trilogy. Lots of people love the trilogy for different reasons, with everyone having their own favourite game of the three. Nothing, in my mind, will ever live up to ME1, even though I acknowledge all its gameplay and mechanical flaws, because it meant an awful lot to me at the time and I can't imagine anything else will ever come close emotionally. But I accept that, and move on.

The strength of feeling a lot of people have for Shepard means the Ryders will be treated far more harshly than they would have been had this been the first Mass Effect game BW ever made. The only way to get around that is for individual players to have a little bit of self-awareness.

Ralemont

not me
The strength of feeling a lot of people have for Shepard means the Ryders will be treated far more harshly than they would have been had this been the first Mass Effect game BW ever made. The only way to get around that is for individual players to have a little bit of self-awareness.

I think that's why BW went this family route with the Ryders, to make them feel different enough that players weren't constantly reminded of playing as Shepard. It'll feel like a different experience much as how Hawke feels different from the Warden who feels different from the Inquisitor.

amoebae

I think that's why BW went this family route with the Ryders, to make them feel different enough that players weren't constantly reminded of playing as Shepard. It'll feel like a different experience much as how Hawke feels different from the Warden who feels different from the Inquisitor.

Yeah, I think so too.

A lot of DA players were very attached to their Warden, and as a result have been (imo) overly harsh towards Hawke and the Inquisitor, but for the most part it's been my experience that most people are absolutely fine with switching protags each game and still being able to get invested in their stories. Especially since in DAO and DAI we were able to choose from different races - meaning there was no set concept of who or what the Warden or Inquisitor was to begin with.

It'd be interesting to see the opinions of MEA amongst those who are fans of DA and those who aren't. I don't know how you'd go about getting that info (read: you couldn't) but I do wonder whether expectations are more exacting amongst those who only played the ME trilogy.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Do you mean SSAO or HBAO? Because SMAA is low-cost anti-aliasing. SSAO is ambient occlusion, which I suspect is what you're talking about.

I've got an i7-4790 and a 980Ti so I'm not worried about this even at 1440p. That said, the 1080Ti looks amazing, and considering I'm all about the eye candy for screenshots I might be tempted. I'll wait and see what people are saying about it first.

Yeah I confused them, what i meant was that i probably wont be able to use the more expensive AA solutions and get 60, but id very much like the best ambient occlusion solution availible. At worst i suppose i'll just settle for 30 fps.

DevilDog

Man, the human/asari voices in ME1 sound off. Dev tech must have been so old. MaleShep is just, ugh. If it wasn't for the brilliant writing, it would've been disasterous.
Thankfully all the other races sound so fucking good.

If they ever do a remaster, they gonna add some digital magic on them to make them sound better.

EDIT: Jesus Christ wtf is this

Ridesh

Banned
I'm worried as hell, everything is pointing to the game being really really buggy at launch.

Why expect so much to announce the release date then?

Retrofluxed

I wouldn't fret about them canceling a glorified stress test. If they were truly worried, there wouldn't be a 5 day early preview on Origin Access and there wouldn't be a public hands on showing at PAX on the 10th.

Yeah, I have no worries about MP. It's most likely going to be as good as ME3 (probably better) and that's more than enough for me.

They probably thought it was a little bit meaningless and too much of a hassle at this point, especially with EA access coming soon as there'll be tons of footage around the net in a couple of hours.

I'm mostly curious about what happened, tbh. The signup was really involved, which gave me the impression that there were plans for extensive testing, and now it's canceled outright? Very odd.

Shinobi, any insights?

All that time spent filling out details and stuff and in the end it didn't even matter.

It's definitely a big missed opportunity. There was a lot of positive buzz around Mass Effect 3 before launch because everyone was pleasantly surprised about the beta.

I guess that explains why there was such dead silence and question dodging about it the past 3-4 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom