• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BouncyFrag

Can't wait to hear more about Mass Effect multiplayer.
It's goofy fun.
Awesome vid! Absolutely loved the mp and I've never gotten into mp except Dark Souls which is different. I got a ps3 recently and started over in the mp, as opposed to my almost maxed out 360 build, and used some of the golden oldie builds but didn't stick with it. Having to unlock everything again would have been too much. I missed my paladin freezing and shield bashing baddies to glory. At this stage I'm more interested in me4's mp than the single player content.

I want the Insanity achievement that you get for beating all the missions (forgot to save Koris on my insanity run and missed the achievement)

But I want to be a tank. I'm going Sentinel with Max defense upgrades my question is.

Which bonus power should I use? Defense Matrix, Fortification or Barrier?

Also for combat buddies I'm guessing Liara and James.

Edit: Aw come on!! I can't change classes? And I don't have access to the weapons? This sucks.

Patryn

thuway just tweeted that Mass Effect will be shown at E3.

So perhaps I will be eating some crow, we'll have to see.

royox

Tali (like most Quarians you met) is a selfish jackass that only things of herself. She is also incredibly inept and had countless Quarians died under her command. A command she didn't earned like Shepard or even Grunt, it was just because of her father. A father who also responsible for the lives of a lot of Quarians demise just because Tali just wanted to experience Rannoch in her lifetime. Did she seemed to struggled because of the death of all those people because of her? Nope, she didn't even had the spine to oppose the Quarians retaking of Rannoch until Shepard came.

Also after you made peace with the Geth, not only does she immediately pulls out a gun on the first prime she sees but also says she said she wouldn't hesitate to eliminate all the Geth. I hate her guts.

Soldier class is best class. The weapons are a lot more fun that the powers in the game and there's a lot of options with the extra powers. I put every single stat into maximizing weapon damage in my last run and I was killing Banshees with a single Javelin Headshot. It's incredibly satisfying.

Talking shit about characters that appear on 3 games.
Withouth playing 2 of the 3 games.

"Tali is a selfish jackass...." yeah....remember when she left her pilgrimage just to help you stop Saren?
Remember when she left the flotilla just to and joined you, working with Cerberus, the "Space KKK", to a suicide mission to stop the collectors? (They were only attacking HUMANS).
Remember when she left everything (a new planet, the whole flotilla) just to join the Normandy and help you to take Earth Back?

That's a "selfhish jackass" for you?.

She is also incredibly inept

Yeah...remember when she had the only one prove you could show to the council against Saren?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
thuway just tweeted that Mass Effect will be shown at E3.

So perhaps I will be eating some crow, we'll have to see.

ja

Ahsan Rasheed ‏@thuway 19h
It's not going to be called Mass Effect 4 - its going to be Mass Effect: _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Ahsan Rasheed ‏@thuway 19h
Mass Effect gonna be shown off at E3 too. Different name.

prag16

Banned

He has a decent track record as far as I can recall, yeah? If so, I need to try to control my hype. Even though we'll probably just get a CGI teaser with no gameplay. :( Better than nothing! Interested to see the next Deus Ex he mentions as well.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
We already knew about the "Not being called Mass Effect 4" anyway, Bioware themselves have said it multiple time not to call their next game like that. And after looking at the title of their next Dragon Age game, no surprise there again.

Being at E3 though... even if it's just an announcement teaser/trailer a la Mirror Edge 2, it would be pretty nice.

TheHall

I 100% hope for Bioware to release the Multiplayer this year so we can start gathering resources, build heroes and firesquads that will somehow influence our SP experience once the actual game drops spring 2015.

Patryn

I 100% hope for Bioware to release the Multiplayer this year so we can start gathering resources, build heroes and firesquads that will somehow influence our SP experience once the actual game drops spring 2015.

That's a really funny joke you made there.

Basically, not a chance in hell, and Spring 2015 is so wildly optimistic for a release date, I can't even...

I never really understood why people liked the Quarians either. They created an intelligent race to enslave, then attempted mass genocide as soon as they questioned their purpose. The Geth who were fighting in self defense chose not to exterminate the Quarians, instead allowing them to leave in peace. The Quarians, being racist and xenophobic, chose to huddle in their fleet disconnected from the other races until they could no longer survive outside their suits. They twisted the events into some great slight against them in order to gain sympathy from the galaxy all the while continuing to actively search for ways to destroy the Geth, when all they ever had to do was return to their home world and open peaceful communication.

The Quarians are bigger villains than the Reapers. The Reapers believed what they were doing was the only way the preserve life. The Quarians just wanted to enslave or murder all nonbiological life forms. It could be argued that the Reapers exist because of entities like the Quarians and the types of wars they create.

Edit: sorry for the run ons and disconnected thoughts. It's 1:30am here and I've had a bit of drink.

I'm super pro-geth and can go on for a long time about why the quarians were stupid in ME3, but you are really distorting what happened.

1) The quarians did not intentionally "create an intelligent race to enslave." The geth's design was basically just meant to be cloud processing appliances, overclocked VIs in drone bodies. The birth of true AI was an unintentional consequence, and as soon as the first geth started asking questions, the quarians didn't realize how far it had gone and the powers that were tried to shut it down. One reason they tried to shut it down was...

2) Creating AI was considered such a huge crime that the quarians were essentially kicked out of mainstream galactic society. They didn't "huddle together disconnected from other races" because they were anti-social, it's because all of their planets were lost in a war, they already had poor immune systems, and the galactic government treated their entire race as lepers. It didn't help that anybody who went beyond the Perseus Veil was destroyed by the geth, so the idea that they were just waiting around to give the quarians a big hug if they just gave peace a chance is revisionism.

Anyone else part of the 43% that plays soldier? I like having the different weapon options and don't care for having to keep selecting abilities from the wheel (besides the couple you hotkey), breaks up the pace of firefights.

I played through the saga on Xbox as a soldier and enjoyed it. I loved how Soldier played in ME2 and ME3 though. Ammo powers are a ton of fun.

Engineer is great fun too, though. I've played through the games as an Engineer a couple times now. Deploying drones, Overloading shields and Incinerating armor just doesn't get old for me. It's also my preferred MP class.

The first time I played ME1 on PC, I picked Vanguard not really understanding the biotics mechanics. I got dead all the time charging in without thinking about it. I just started a new saga with a male Earthborn sole survivor Adept, a class I have put no time at all. ME1 still irks me how you have to have all the weapons even if you only have "training" in one or two of them... wish someone would have discovered a hack for that or something.

I've done some Texmod graphical updates in the past, but this time I'm playing with MEUITM. It looks pretty damn fantastic, but it seems that the modder forgot to address the teeth. Everyone looks like lifetime smokers.

TheHall

That's a really funny joke you made there.

Basically, not a chance in hell, and Spring 2015 is so wildly optimistic for a release date, I can't even...

Spring 2015 is basically a year away and we know they have been working on it for a while...

A man can dream right?

Still hoping for a pre-released Multiplayer though, although it might give away too much of the lore/storyline.

Spring 2015 is basically a year away and we know they have been working on it for a while...

A man can dream right?

Still hoping for a pre-released Multiplayer though, although it might give away too much of the lore/storyline.

I would pay for ME3 MP right now. That would hold me over for the next one.
But if it's a beta, then I only play till around 10. When the full release is out, that's when its go time.

Can't wait either way. I just hope the AIU, Sentinel, and Geth Trooper are in full force.

prag16

Banned

A man can dream right?

Why would prerelease multi be any sort of reasonable expectation, like at all?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mass Effect: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ is accurate.

EatChildren

Numbered sequels sell better. They should go the star wars route.

I don't have the data to back it up, but I figure they're avoiding a number to further distance themselves from the trilogy. Not necessarily due to negativity, but because (as they've said) it's not associated with the trilogy arc in any way. It's a hard place to be in, because it is technically "Mass Effect 4", in that it's the next full, mainline Mass Effect game. But the trilogy being purely numerical does put emphasis on the trilogy context and content, which this wont have. I think they just want to avoid people looking at "Mass Effect 4" and thinking "oh it's a continuation of Shepard's trilogy" and keep the window open for new fans who'd otherwise be cautious jumping into a narrative heavy action RPG when they're not all that familiar with the first three. Like "Dragon Age: Inquisition" leaving off the number kinda just says "this is a Mass Effect brand game" and "you can play it as your first". They might feel the Mass Effect brand is strong enough that numbers can be abandoned at no cost of familiarity and incentive.

Anyway, looking forward to the reveal when it comes. I hope it's at E3. If not, PAX has to be it. If it misses this year I'll be super bummed as there's so much I want to know. I do know a certain subset of fans within the franchise should be very happy, assuming they deliver on some pretty cool concepts.

EatChildren

Mass Effect: Starkid

TheHall

Why would prerelease multi be any sort of reasonable expectation, like at all?

ME3 MP made EA a ton of money from Microtransactions.

If they would release it early as a semi standalone, they could pay for a chunk of advertisement right there.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Numbered sequels sell better. They should go the star wars route.

"Mass Effect Episode 4:_____________"

I don't have the data to back it up, but I figure they're avoiding a number to further distance themselves from the trilogy. Not necessarily due to negativity, but because (as they've said) it's not associated with the trilogy arc in any way. It's a hard place to be in, because it is technically "Mass Effect 4", in that it's the next full, mainline Mass Effect game. But the trilogy being purely numerical does put emphasis on the trilogy context and content, which this wont have. I think they just want to avoid people looking at "Mass Effect 4" and thinking "oh it's a continuation of Shepard's trilogy" and keep the window open for new fans who'd otherwise be cautious jumping into a narrative heavy action RPG when they're not all that familiar with the first three. Like "Dragon Age: Inquisition" leaving off the number kinda just says "this is a Mass Effect brand game" and "you can play it as your first". They might feel the Mass Effect brand is strong enough that numbers can be abandoned at no cost of familiarity and incentive.

Anyway, looking forward to the reveal when it comes. I hope it's at E3. If not, PAX has to be it. If it misses this year I'll be super bummed as there's so much I want to know. I do know a certain subset of fans within the franchise should be very happy, assuming they deliver on some pretty cool concepts.

While historically numbered sequels have done better, usually that was the result of unnumbered games being low effort.

These days it's not that uncommon to just go with subtitles, since publishers feel people understand you're selling a full title if you market it appropriately.

Just this year for example:
-Assassin's Creed: Unity
-Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
-Dragon Age: Inquisition
-Batman: Arkham Knight
-Infamous: Second Son
-Wolfenstein: The New Order
-Thief

The goal here is as EatChildren said, both to not turn off customers worried they're too far behind on the storyline, and also to give off the impression that the developer is making something /new/ for the new generation, even though it's a sequel to an established series.

Talking shit about characters that appear on 3 games.
Withouth playing 2 of the 3 games.

"Tali is a selfish jackass...." yeah....remember when she left her pilgrimage just to help you stop Saren?
Remember when she left the flotilla just to and joined you, working with Cerberus, the "Space KKK", to a suicide mission to stop the collectors? (They were only attacking HUMANS).
Remember when she left everything (a new planet, the whole flotilla) just to join the Normandy and help you to take Earth Back?

That's a "selfhish jackass" for you?.

Yeah...remember when she had the only one prove you could show to the council against Saren?

I played 2 of 3 games, the latter ones. Whatever Tali was in the first game is not the person she was the majority of the journey. At the very least she should had realized her incompetence and message Shepard "hey Shepard the Quarians are planning a secret wars with the Geth while reapers are attacking, I know how you bail me out last time, can you tell me what should I do?"

Edit: I'm planning on buying some DLC, which one is better. Omega or leviathan?

Simzyy

So what platform are people planning on getting the next installment on? Assuming it's not cross gen.

I originally played ME1 on Xbox but then moved over to PC. And now I have a PS4. I have a good PC (i5 2500k, GTX 770) but I still can't decide between PS4 or PC.

EatChildren

So what platform are people planning on getting the next installment on? Assuming it's not cross gen.

I originally played ME1 on Xbox but then moved over to PC. And now I have a PS4. I have a good PC (i5 2500k, GTX 770) but I still can't decide between PS4 or PC.

PC 4 eva.

I played 2 of 3 games, the latter ones. Whatever Tali was in the first game is not the person she was the majority of the journey.
You have no idea what you're talking about.
At the very least she should had realized her incompetence and message Shepard "hey Shepard the Quarians are planning a secret wars with the Geth while reapers are attacking, I know how you bail me out last time, can you tell me what should I do?"
Because obviously Shepard doesn't have his/her own shit to deal with.

What exactly would Shepard say? Tell Han'Gerrel to stop being a dumbass? Wow, war's over, problem solved.

It depends on whether this PC version has proper controller support. If it doesn't, I may seriously consider the PS4 or Xbone version.

Uncharted 3 released it's multiplayer a month early through a promotion with Subway.
Huh, would have thought I'd have known about that. Still can't see Mass Effect doing the same thing as I'm sure it'd give away too much of the main game.

PS4, definitely.

prag16

Banned
It depends on whether this PC version has proper controller support. If it doesn't, I may seriously consider the PS4 or Xbone version.

MKB controls is one of the best reasons to go PC imo.

I will not own a PS4 for years still, so PC all the way. Wouldn't want to play with a controller anyhow.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
PC eva also, if the multiplayer is good I have absolutely no worries about the games population, considering how strong the pc version is comparatively going.

I understand the logic but from what I can remember I've read many a story about numbered sequels selling better. They should at least have the game after the upcoming one have a 2 after it. Like the original trilogy, then the _____ trilogy. I don't want a Brotherhood/Revelations etc type of thing going on.

But I mean this is really just about selling the max amount of titles I'll pre order the collectors edition regardless.

Mindlog

MKB controls is one of the best reasons to go PC imo.

I will not own a PS4 for years still, so PC all the way. Wouldn't want to play with a controller anyhow.
I'm still playing (I have a problem) on 360 because that's where my manifest is. The controls are generally fine except for a few issues. Reload canceling is way easier on PC. Just tapping medi-gel is less problematic than what we have to do on controllers. Anyone with even passing knowledge can AHK reload-canceling into the fire button. It's also easier to aim on PC which really drives up the value of weapons like the Suppressor and Arc Pistol. The biggest issue is with charge weapons. Modern controllers still suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Kishok is way easier to use on PC than it is on console. I started trying to use that weapon again because I'm using the weapons I hardly touched. To use the Kishok properly on a Salarian Infiltrator you sometimes want to ED before letting go of the shot. Would be nice to be able to do that easily without having to resort to the claw.

TshCJNc.png

Die in a fire. I wish controllers didn't suck. Leaning heavily towards PC, but PS4 is not out of the question.

As far as the next titles goes.
Mass Effect: Explode
Mass Effect: Explore
Let's see what theme they end up going with.

prag16

Banned
I'm still playing (I have a problem) on 360 because that's where my manifest is. The controls are generally fine except for a few issues. Reload canceling is way easier on PC. Just tapping medi-gel is less problematic than what we have to do on controllers. Anyone with even passing knowledge can AHK reload-canceling into the fire button. It's also easier to aim on PC which really drives up the value of weapons like the Suppressor and Arc Pistol. The biggest issue is with charge weapons. Modern controllers still suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Kishok is way easier to use on PC than it is on console. I started trying to use that weapon again because I'm using the weapons I hardly touched. To use the Kishok properly on a Salarian Infiltrator you sometimes want to ED before letting go of the shot. Would be nice to be able to do that easily without having to resort to the claw.

TshCJNc.png

Die in a fire. I wish controllers didn't suck. Leaning heavily towards PC, but PS4 is not out of the question.

As far as the next titles goes.
Mass Effect: Explode
Mass Effect: Explore
Let's see what theme they end up going with.

Yeah, that image illustrates just one of the big issues with controllers. If you need to use the right stick, you lose access to the face buttons... unless you contort like an idiot. It's definitely limiting without a doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom