• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I played 2 of 3 games, the latter ones. Whatever Tali was in the first game is not the person she was the majority of the journey. At the very least she should had realized her incompetence and message Shepard "hey Shepard the Quarians are planning a secret wars with the Geth while reapers are attacking, I know how you bail me out last time, can you tell me what should I do?"

Edit: I'm planning on buying some DLC, which one is better. Omega or leviathan?

Leviathan is way better than Omega. You explore more planets and there is more than only combat to do. You also learn more about the Reapers, while Omega is just about retaking Omega...which might be more or less interesting to you depending on how much you liked Omega and Aria in ME2.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Spill it, I sense you know more than the rest of us.

alfrednevahu6jcp.gif

MKB controls is one of the best reasons to go PC imo.

I will not own a PS4 for years still, so PC all the way. Wouldn't want to play with a controller anyhow.
I love the precision of a mouse, but I fucking hate playing on a keyboard. Controllers are way more comfortable and efficient for me, especially since I couch game.

Mindlog

Not going to lie.
I liked the Mass Effect 2 hacking mini-game. It felt right.

Spill it, I sense you know more than the rest of us.
The long-standing rumor has been a return to exploration. It will be really interesting to see if that becomes apparent in a stage demo or trailer which tend to heavily favor the more explosive sort of beat.

With how ridiculous the inception horn and its relatives are... I'd still laugh pretty hard if they went with this community tribute for the music.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The long-standing rumor has been a return to exploration. It will be really interesting to see if that becomes apparent in a stage demo or trailer which tend to heavily favor the more explosive sort of beat.

Demoing such things would go a long way in showing what the new game is about and what it does that the last two games maybe did not do so well, and create some buzz within the fanbase, so hopefully that's what they do.

Well if next-gen games are proving anything, It's open world is the new craze, So the next ME cannot be anything less that explorable, ME3 felt small with citadel being the only hub, For an RPG space opera i would like to think they would go the ME1 route, Which is have explorable planets each with side missions or main missions. But obviously not recycled ones.lol.

Patryn

Demoing such things would go a long way in showing what the new game is about and what it does that the last two games maybe did not do so well, and create some buzz within the fanbase, so hopefully that's what they do.

It's EA.

They'll show off explosions and combat. I doubt EA sees value in showing off exploration as, unlike Dragon Age, they don't feel like they need to win back the ME audience.

So what platform are people planning on getting the next installment on? Assuming it's not cross gen.

I originally played ME1 on Xbox but then moved over to PC. And now I have a PS4. I have a good PC (i5 2500k, GTX 770) but I still can't decide between PS4 or PC.
PC, but will probably get it on ps4/xb3 at some point. I did the same for the first three, except for the first game since it was console exclusive at first.

I'm super pro-geth and can go on for a long time about why the quarians were stupid in ME3, but you are really distorting what happened.

1) The quarians did not intentionally "create an intelligent race to enslave." The geth's design was basically just meant to be cloud processing appliances, overclocked VIs in drone bodies. The birth of true AI was an unintentional consequence, and as soon as the first geth started asking questions, the quarians didn't realize how far it had gone and the powers that were tried to shut it down. One reason they tried to shut it down was...

2) Creating AI was considered such a huge crime that the quarians were essentially kicked out of mainstream galactic society. They didn't "huddle together disconnected from other races" because they were anti-social, it's because all of their planets were lost in a war, they already had poor immune systems, and the galactic government treated their entire race as lepers. It didn't help that anybody who went beyond the Perseus Veil was destroyed by the geth, so the idea that they were just waiting around to give the quarians a big hug if they just gave peace a chance is revisionism.

Was most of this described in the books or something?
I've played all three games and the historical archives you see when helping Legion are fairly damning.

Was most of this described in the books or something?
It was mentioned/seen in conversations with Tali, Legion, and various NPCs, plus the codex entries for the Quarians and Geth. ME3 decided to go from the "the Quarians were decent people who might have made bad choices due to external factors" to "the Quarians were totally in the wrong for what they did to the Geth" for no real reason.

Hell, there's a whole scene with people being racist to Quarians, which is one of the few paragon interrupts in ME2.

It was mentioned/seen in conversations with Tali, Legion, and various NPCs, plus the codex entries for the Quarians and Geth. ME3 decided to go from the "the Quarians were decent people who might have made bad choices due to external factors" to "the Quarians were totally in the wrong for what they did to the Geth" for no real reason.

Hell, there's a whole scene with people being racist to Quarians, which is one of the few paragon interrupts in ME2.
That's the difference of perspective. The Quarians were displayed as decent people because the in-game characters telling you that were Quarian. The archives and their actions in 3 tell a different story.

I'm not saying that every Quarian is evil, that's not true of any species. But the choses of their governing body and the actions carried out by their people are villainous.

That's the perception I got playing the games, anyway.

That's the difference of perspective. The Quarians were displayed as decent people because the in-game characters telling you that were Quarian. The archives and their actions in 3 tell a different story.

I'm not saying that every Quarian is evil, that's not true of any species. But the choses of their governing body and the actions carried out by their people are villainous.
The codex and Legion's stuff (plus the stuff Shepard sees) aren't from the Quarian perspective, though. That's why it feels like a bullshit writing change to a lot of people, because the entire Geth/Quarian conflict had been written to be ambiguous, like the genophage, up until that point. It's like they decided to add all the evil/dumb Quarian stuff to make an artificial dilemma for drama's sake or to prevent people from going to the obvious choice of a Quarian/Geth alliance.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I have a question that I'm sure has been asked before, but I'm too lazy to slick search and type some stuff in that form as opposed to the one I'm typing in right now, but is there an ending to Mass Effect 3 where the Reapers don't win? The three "choices" that I ended up with at the end of my first playthrough made it seem like Bioware went for the lazy route and didn't actually come up with a bunch of endings based on the things the player did throughout the series.

The codex is an "in universe" historical record. The Quarian history was written by the Quarians. Legion's stuff is damning to the Quarians. The Geth who sided with the Reapers did so because they feared attack from the Quarians. The Geth on the home world weren't malicious, but the reason no Quarian ships ever returned from the veil is because they went in to either steal from, abduct, sabotage, or attack the Geth... Of course the Geth would defend themselves.

Not sure where you're going with the stuff Shepard sees. Are you talking about the racism? That's not relative to the topic of whether or not the Quarian government, and therefor their role in the galaxy, is villainous.

royox

Perhaphs it's not CONTACT because Contact Wars. Perhaphs it's CONTACT because some outer galaxy aliens attack our galaxy...or the Leviathans make their move against the whole galaxy.

Plz make the Leviathan thing happen.

The codex is an "in universe" historical record. The Quarian history was written by the Quarians.
If there's any bias in the codex, it's towards the Citadel Council's POV, at least through ME2, because

Legion's stuff is damning to the Quarians. The Geth who sided with the Reapers did so because they feared attack from the Quarians. The Geth on the home world weren't malicious, but the reason no Quarian ships ever returned from the veil is because they went in to either steal from, abduct, sabotage, or attack the Geth... Of course the Geth would defend themselves.
It would be damning if the Geth weren't literally the biggest social retards in the Mass Effect universe. Most of the problems between the Geth and the rest of the galaxy would've been solved if the Geth simply told everyone they weren't planning to kill everyone before Legion came around.

Simzyy

Contact can also play into a sequel. Especially if the leaks EatChildren reported on regarding two new species is true.

People have been pretty vocal about not wanting a prequel. It would be a giant fuck you to go ahead and make one anyway.

Patryn

Perhaphs it's not CONTACT because Contact Wars. Perhaphs it's CONTACT because some outer galaxy aliens attack our galaxy...or the Leviathans make their move against the whole galaxy.

Plz make the Leviathan thing happen.

They want to move past the prior trilogy. I'd be shocked if they picked up the Leviathan angle.

I expect everything to do with the Reapers to be swept under the rug barring a few token mentions.

Mindlog

So... thuway posted again.

So... it'll be Mass Effect: Contact.

Praying to every deity known to man it's not during the First Contact war. Would be the biggest mistake ever.
I put a lot of stock into some vision of a First Contact War game being scrapped so not worried about that.

Oh god.
We're playing as a Special Circumstances agent.

I never asked for this.

If there's any bias in the codex, it's towards the Citadel Council's POV, at least through ME2, because

It would be damning if the Geth weren't literally the biggest social retards in the Mass Effect universe. Most of the problems between the Geth and the rest of the galaxy would've been solved if the Geth simply told everyone they weren't planning to kill everyone before Legion came around.
The Quarians are the reason the Geth had that reputation though. They attempted to use fear mongering to persuade the rest of the galaxy to help them commit xenocide.

The Quarians are the reason the Geth had that reputation though. They attempted to use fear mongering to persuade the rest of the galaxy to help them commit xenocide.
The Mass Effect universe was already anti-AI before the Geth came around (hell, there's a sidequest in ME1 where you kill a gambling AI for being an AI). Believe me, a robotic race kicking its creators' asses would probably be way more effective at causing fear mongering in such a setting than anything said by the Quarians.

The Mass Effect universe was already anti-AI before the Geth came around (hell, there's a sidequest in ME1 where you kill a gambling AI for being an AI). Believe me, a robotic race kicking its creators' asses would probably be way more effective at causing fear mongering in such a setting than anything said by the Quarians.
My point is that the Geth never did anything wrong. Sure, a faction of them made the mistake of trusting the Reapers in order to better defend themselves from the Quarians and became indoctrinated, but the main group of Geth on the Quarian home world were only defending themselves.

royox

Every time an organic race ship entered the "Geth Space" the Geth attacked it. This was told several times during ME1.

Also...do you remember the "not legion's Geth"?? Those ones want to destroy all the organics.

Also Legion tells you during ME2 or ME3 that they need to expand, and they will defeat everybody who try to stop their expansion.

Geth are not as bad as Quarian say....but they are not as good as Legion wants Shepard to see. How many times the Geth (Legion itself) lied to Shepard during ME2 and ME3? He tried to access to the normandy's system (THANK GOD we had EDI). He lied when he said they would NEVER use Reaper tech. And he never says why he wears Shep. armor.

and became indoctrinated,

Machines can't be indoctrinated.

Every time an organic race ship entered the "Geth Space" the Geth attacked it. This was told several times during ME1.

Also...do you remember the "not legion's Geth"?? Those ones want to destroy all the organics.

Also Legion tells you during ME2 or ME3 that they need to expand, and they will defeat everybody who try to stop their expansion.

Geth are not as bad as Quarian say....but they are not as good as Legion wants Shepard to see. How many times the Geth (Legion itself) lied to Shepard during ME2 and ME3? He tried to access to the normandy's system (THANK GOD we had EDI). He lied when he said they would NEVER use Reaper tech. And he never says why he wears Shep. armor.

Machines can't be indoctrinated.

Legion was accessing the Normandy's systems the same way EDI accesses the systems of every ship and port they come in close proximity to...
Legion was being honest in saying the Geth wouldn't use Reaper Tech. To him, the ones who took the tech are no longer Geth. The Heretics became different programs. This was after the Heretics had already split from the collective. This means that the surviving Geth would not.

As far as Geth becoming indoctrinated? They look at the same equation and come to a different outcome... That sounds an awful lot like brainwashing or indoctrination to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom