• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Because obviously Shepard doesn't have his/her own shit to deal with.

What exactly would Shepard say? Tell Han'Gerrel to stop being a dumbass? Wow, war's over, problem solved.

Come on son, you know that's pretty much exactly what happened.

Leviathan is way better than Omega. You explore more planets and there is more than only combat to do. You also learn more about the Reapers, while Omega is just about retaking Omega...which might be more or less interesting to you depending on how much you liked Omega and Aria in ME2.

I was more leaning into Omega because I heard that it was combat focused and you get nee powers, weapons and enemies but Leviathan sound fun (I did was spoiled the mission ending) but I think I'll just get both. There's not a sale in sight so why wait? Thanks for the input.

BouncyFrag

A prequel?
901216908.jpg

I rather have of happen in another Galaxy. Unless the whole thing was across the entire universe which would be weird.

Also how long did the events of Mass Effect 3 took to unfold? A month? 8 months? A year?

rdrr gnr

The did made a mention of two new races. I'm surprised absolutely no pics were leaked.
It would make a lot of sense and it would solve so many problems. The game wouldn't have to be about saving Earth or the galaxy or the universe. It could just be about the tensions and conflicts that arise when a new race (or two) are brought into the fold.

I was thinking the other day what they could do with the story in ME4. They would be hard pressed to escalate the Reapers, but they don't necessarily have to in order to have a good trilogy/story. Though if they did the one thing I could think of would be a war with a separate galaxy. It would be weird if they made contact with another race within the Milky Way that they somehow didn't come across in the war with the Reapers (even considering the size of a galaxy, because the Reapers would have had relays by all habitable planets). So it'd be interesting if a scientist either found a relay to another galaxy or a scientist figured out how to travel even faster within the Universe.

Fedele

The did made a mention of two new races. I'm surprised absolutely no pics were leaked.

Descriptions for now:

First concepts were of two new races. The first one being described as "Arrogant". They were really skinny, almost skeletal. Their bodies vaguely looked like a boney Turian. They had glowing eyes and a neck that frilled up from their chest (once they show it off you'll see how hard it is to describe. Their heads almost remind me of the aliens from Independence Day. The second new race was described as "Ancient, Advanced, and Guardian". They had a similar color scheme to reapers and they looked like classic fantasy/sci-fi golems. Sleek rocky or metallic bodies with bright glowing lines flowing all over them. Some had fragmented pieces and shattered bits floating in place around them.

Oh boy, if my hopes ain't high for this one.

And please keep the same guy as the Journal's voice.

Whatever it is I just hope it's not a race against time, save the galaxy setting. Would much prefer something on a smaller scale so the player doesn't feel hurried and can take their time.

Whatever it is I just hope it's not a race against time, save the galaxy setting. Would much prefer something on a smaller scale so the player doesn't feel hurried and can take their time.

Agreed, that was hard to write around too. The Citadel DLC comes to mind, "The whole Galaxy is at war, people are dying every minute, but fuck it we need you to cut loose, have fun!"

Yeah I hope not. While I loved the story of Mass Effect 2, I like how epic Mass Effect 3 is, I want to save everything again. (not in Mass Effect 4, maybe Mass Effect 6)

Contact would make sense with the appearance of two previously unknown-to-the-galaxy races, but I really hope they don't go into another "save the universe!!!" type story.

rdrr gnr

A new race....on a ME prequel...that's NEVER mentioned during ME trilogy.

That will be weird.
Well, Kratos can butcher the Erinyes and not have it come up once in the 5 games that came afterwards. I wouldn't question the boundaries of how creatively bankrupt a corporation can be.

Edit: To be clear, I don't think it's a prequel.

Patryn

A new race....on a ME prequel...that's NEVER mentioned during ME trilogy.

That will be weird.

Beyond speculation on the title Contact, there is no proof it's a prequel. The opposite, in fact, with Shinobi who has been shown having inside info directly stating it's not set during the First Contact War.

prag16

Banned
Eh I'm not too concerned. Almost every other tidbit we've gotten seems to work against this being a First Contact game.

However if it is, this is appropriate:

picard-s-epic-no-o.gif

Interestingly that was also my reaction to the Abrams Star Trek films. Hope he doesn't fuck up Star Wars now too. Worse than Lucas already did that is.

Reese-015

"Mass Effect: _ _ N T_ _ T"

...lol you guys didn't figure it out yet?

It's obviously Mass Effect: Contest. It'll be a Mass Effect kart racing game with all your favorite ME characters and their vehicles! Except for Shepherd. He's dead.

I was saying that the least she could do was inform Shepard of the situation, since she was unable to do anything even though she opposed of the idea.

And I was saying that Tali probably knew that Shepard was busy. Sending an email would have most likely resulted in exactly the same outcome. It's not like Han'Gerrel immediately stopped being a warmongering dumbass as soon as Shepard turned up, he even nearly got them killed.

Also Shepard doesn't always get to make that speech. If Tali's not an admiral, Gerrel won't listen.

royalan

I highly doubt "Mass Effect: Contact" means First Contact War...

Although I hope-to-hell not. Don't do it, Bioware

Don't forget, all of the star systems explored in the first 3 games represent less than 1% of the Milky Way; there were also plenty of mass relays that weren't ever activated (nor is it ever confirmed in canon that the galactic community had any idea how many relays there even were). There's still a lot out there to come in "contact" with.

I think it's more likely that the game is going to be about the known galactic community coming in contact with some mysterious and powerful new race(s) in our efforts to reactivate mass relays after the events of the first trilogy. Sounds fun.

I just hope that the new races we encounter are closer to being our "peers" than some new and all-powerful foe bent on destroying the galaxy. That def gets boring after awhile.

Considering how much "unexplored" galaxy there is out there, I think it would be funny if Contact was about our galactic community coming in contact with another galactic community composed of races just as thinly held together by their government as our own. What a clusterfuck that would be. I'd be all for it.

BouncyFrag

"Mass Effect: _ _ N T_ _ T"

...lol you guys didn't figure it out yet?

It's obviously Mass Effect: Contest. It'll be a Mass Effect kart racing game with all your favorite ME characters and their vehicles! Except for Shepherd. He's dead.
Wrex and Grunt riding dinosaurs...rocket powered dinosaurs?

Sothpaw

Don't have time to read thread but I'd like to throw in that really enjoyed all Mass Effect games. ME3's ending didn't bother me because I play games for the gameplay, which ME3 nailed.

My hopes for ME4 is that it actually has inventory and full party customization like ME1 with ME3's gameplay. Other than that I'm good. The PC versions of the trilogy are awesome.

Should take place 500 years post trilogy in a sperate galaxy that's "relatively" close to the Milky Way when the original trilogies allied races (Krogan, Turian, Salarian, Human and Asari), have just discovering an ancient previously unknown and dormant Mass Relay in the Milky Way that actually leads to another galaxy entirely.

royalan

Should take place 500 years post trilogy in a sperate galaxy that's "relatively" close to the Milky Way when the original trilogies allied races (Krogan, Turian, Salarian, Human and Asari), have just discovering an ancient previously unknown and dormant Mass Relay in the Milky Way that actually leads to another galaxy entirely.

I don't think we need to leave the galaxy. We've explored less than 1% of the one we're in.

Besides, I think intergalactic travel would break suspension of disbelief a bit. It would require technology faaaar more advanced than even the most advanced tech we've seen in the games (as far as I recall, not even the Reapers actually traveled through the space between galaxies).

Ghazi

I would like the next Mass Effect to go forward, not back, because that would limit it by what happens in the trilogy. It's going to be another hero dealing with another threat, I can feel it. Hopefully it's something completely new, but I want to make a guess that somehow, somewhere, there is still a Reaper out there in the galaxy that didn't die or something like that.

Reese-015

I would like the next Mass Effect to go forward, not back, because that would limit it by what happens in the trilogy. It's going to be another hero dealing with another threat, I can feel it. Hopefully it's something completely new, but I want to make a guess that somehow, somewhere, there is still a Reaper out there in the galaxy that didn't die or something like that.

Nah they're not gonna have it Reaper-focused this time I'm quite sure.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I have absolutely zero knowledge of where it's set in the canon. Timeline will be as much a surprise to me as everybody else.

That being said the impression I've been given is that EA/BioWare fully recognise the low interest in a prequel versus the high interest in a sequel. This is in addition to the "First Contact War" first person shooter being cancelled some time ago (which could have been for other reasons too). Additionally, I've also been given the impression the team at Montreal, along with seniors at EA/BW, do not wish to be held back by baggage from the trilogy, especially given some of the more negative aspects.

That doesn't rule out a "first contact" style prequel of course. For all I know this game is one about mankind's earliest days exploring the galaxy, post First Contact War, populating a bunch of planets and exploring because shit why not. I think that would work but it's far from what I actually want. A sequel however has plenty of room for a similar scenario. The galaxy is still recovering from the greatest war ever seen, and likely to be ever seen. Resources are scarce. Relays are open. Odds are you're going to bump into some new species that was previously locked behind relays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom