• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Beaver

So, if it isn't a prequel, I'm really curious as to what it is then.

A Prequel-Sequel?

A long-long time after the Reaper Wars when the galaxy is at peace, it is discovered that a lone reaper has survived.

This reaper then goes back in time to sabotage Turian/Human relations during the First Contact War. Are you a bad enough Dude or Duddette to stop him?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That's the biggest thing about the series that bugs me. How seriously fucked up the whole timeline for humanity is. The fact that we went from just opening our first relays to having multiple colonies and getting on the council in a matter of decades is just... ugh.

I don't even understand why they wanted that accelerated timeline instead of having it be 100 or 200 years after first contact.

It's a colossal oversight by the writers, especially Drew and co, how nobody from the very start noticed or cared that ~40 years is a ludicrously illogical window for humanity to have expanded to and populated hundreds of colonies, alien owned corporations, Citadel presence, and so on. It's right there at the start of the first game and it's super dumb in a series that's already ripe with a lot of super dumb.

So I would assume this would be another yahg situation, where they add an alien that we hadn't seen but apparently was around.

No, an space faring alien civilisation that simply hadn't reached citadel space by the time Mass Effect trilogy had started and met its conclusion. Imagine the Mass Effect galaxy, our galaxy, like a gigantic web network of relays. There's thousands, linked to various stars and systems, potentially habitable planets, yet only a very small percentage have been activated. Most of the galaxy is unexplored.

It took sixty years for the Asari to meet the Salarians. Five hundred years for those to meet the Rachni. Another five hundred before the Turians came into the picture. And so on. The idea is that somewhere in the galaxy, in these pockets of unexplored "known" space, a species evolved just like the rest, socially politically and technologically. They became a space faring species, likely discovered mass technology too, and started populating nearby planets like everybody else did once upon a time. Activated their first relay, which sent them to an empty system, explored that, and so on and so forth. They're doing all this shit, like everyone else did during their era, over a ~100 year period maybe a little bit more. Meanwhile the rest of the galaxy is doing their thing, trying to stop the Reapers. War is over, suddenly you bump into a species that's all "hey, what's up" because from their perspective they're just a fresh new space faring species making first contact with a bunch of other species. Kind of like how humans made first contact rather oblivious to the fact that for the last 2000 years the species they made contact with had suffered at least two major wars: Rachni and Krogan.

Said new species would be totally new in the strictest sense. A new species that simply hadn't made first contact, because they evolved in a part of the galaxy that had never been explored or seen.

Personally, I liked the idea that somebody proposed a while back about encountering a new advanced species that developed without Mass technology.

Technically, all the known races have had their technological development guided by mass tech because they've had exposure. What about a race that didn't have that leg up and had to develop their own?

Suddenly you could have a threat that isn't bound by the known rules and limitations.

Twas mine, and yeah, I think it's neat as it's a nice play on the whole "mass effect" theme while introducing its own cool new ideas. A simple oversight by the Reapers setting up all those relays and guiding technological evolution. They once upon a time (or the Leviathans I should say) started from scratch, so now you'd have a new species that did the same thing.

IIRC, it was something about making it more relatable to players, because they intended to have it set 100 years later than it was (that's why Pressley mentions his grandpa fought in the First Contact War in ME1, even though Pressley is old enough to have fought in it himself).

Didn't know that. So dumb. They should have just run with it. The short time period is enforced in the books too though. Anderson was alive and working in the military when humans made first contact.

Deadstar

I would love to visit some of the homeworlds of certain species. I'd love to see the Drell world and where the Asari come from.

It's a colossal oversight by the writers, especially Drew and co, how nobody from the very start noticed or cared that ~40 years is a ludicrously illogical window for humanity to have expanded to and populated hundreds of colonies, alien owned corporations, Citadel presence, and so on. It's right there at the start of the first game and it's super dumb in a series that's already ripe with a lot of super dumb.

I think the series should have been comprised of smaller missions similar to the first game. It wasn't about saving the galaxy it was about taking down Saren.

That's the biggest thing about the series that bugs me. How seriously fucked up the whole timeline for humanity is. The fact that we went from just opening our first relays to having multiple colonies and getting on the council in a matter of decades is just... ugh.

I don't even understand why they wanted that accelerated timeline instead of having it be 100 or 200 years after first contact.
I think they wanted to have characters with direct knowledge of first contact and early Earth expansion. I suppose it makes for better storytelling to hear these things from the people involved, rather than through historical documents or the codex.

Still. I agree that it totally fucks up the timeline, as there's no way Earth should have advanced so quickly.

Really? I must have completely forgotten it. Was it the Asari church mission? If I'm remembering correctly it was cool but it was all a shoot fest. I want to explore and talk to people.
Closest you'll get to interacting with Asari society and culture is Illium during ME2.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Taking Javik to Thessia is essential fun.

Patryn

I think they wanted to have characters with direct knowledge of first contact and early Earth expansion. I suppose it makes for better storytelling to hear these things from the people involved, rather than through historical documents or the codex.

Still. I agree that it totally fucks up the timeline, as there's no way Earth should have advanced so quickly.

Honestly, when you really sit and think about how crazy the timeline is, I begin to totally agree with the aliens who think the humans are favored by the council. Species like the Hanar, Drell, Volus, etc. have been around for hundreds of years working with the council. We stroll in, and we get on the Council like that?

But wouldn't any space faring civilization be a target for the Reapers?

The Reapers aren't gods. They aren't all-knowing. It's possible that some system, out on the edges never had a Mass Relay put in. So the Reapers would never have went there, and wouldn't have observed it.

Hell, it could have been a species out in the Andromeda Galaxy. Keep in mind, literally the entirety of Mass Effect takes place in the Milky Way.

So you could have a new species who developed a whole new FTL system like nothing we've seen before.

Ducayne

A Prequel-Sequel?

A long-long time after the Reaper Wars when the galaxy is at peace, it is discovered that a lone reaper has survived.

This reaper then goes back in time to sabotage Turian/Human relations during the First Contact War. Are you a bad enough Dude or Duddette to stop him?

I wouldn't mind this...

EatChildren

But wouldn't any space faring civilization be a target for the Reapers?

Yep, but the final war disrupted the usual harvest cycle so it's possible some slipped through the gaps. In a normal cycle the Citadel is the first thing taken, as it's the point of entry, both to have maximum control over all connected relays and to utilise the Citadel census as a thorough documentation on all suitably evolved space faring species. That's used as a guide to clean sweep the galaxy at a targeted locations.

Without that information the Reapers can only know what they've learned through agents (like the Collectors), assumptions, and discovery of their own. Though they attempted a harvest during the war their emphasis shifted towards cock blocking the species they did know about and knew would pose as a threat: Turian, Asari, and Human. The bulk of the Reaper force was focused on these species, scouts sent elsewhere to fuck with the others and see what was going on in the galaxy.

Ultimately though without having access to a consensus of information detailing which species are space faring and where they're located the Reapers are almost as blind as everybody else. That, coupled with a shift in priorities due to the war itself, would make it quite easy to overlook pockets of the galaxy that while technically housing relays weren't actually connected to citadel space. Any evolved space faring species in these pockets, even if they were colonising worlds, would exist be completely off grid since they hadn't made contact with Citadel space. The only way the Reapers would learn of their existence is if they found them manually, which they probably wouldn't be focusing on.

Honestly, when you really sit and think about how crazy the timeline is, I begin to totally agree with the aliens who think the humans are favored by the council. Species like the Hanar, Drell, Volus, etc. have been around for hundreds of years working with the council. We stroll in, and we get on the Council like that?

Hanar/Volus had been an active part of Citadel space for 2000+ years before humans came along with their big space ships and said "we want in". I'd be shitty too.

rashbeep

Banned
What I want to see in this game is more detailed non-squadmate NPCs. The fact that your squad has been accurately modeled whereas the rest of the characters look fucking awful was really annoying. Also put some effort in making unique looking Krogans, Salarians, Turians, etc.

Aren't they? The Reapers left this type of technology behind as a tool to guide the development of these species along a path that best suited their needs. They'd been doing this for eons and had it down to a science.

I wouldn't say so, no. Humanity had already achieved spaceflight without any influence from the reapers, they were obviously heading in that direction anyway. And pretty much any advancement regarding element zero was because of the protheans, so humans had FTL before they'd even seen a mass relay.

Saying that any of that is reaper tech doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Welp! Re-playing Mass Effect 3, I'm at the part on Mars where you have the robot charging at you in slow motion and my gun is a single shot and can't kill her so I have to re-start. What a load of dung. :p

I wouldn't say so, no. Humanity had already achieved spaceflight without any influence from the reapers, they were obviously heading in that direction anyway. And pretty much any advancement regarding element zero was because of the protheans, so humans had FTL before they'd even seen a mass relay.

Human ship use ezero, based on Prothean designs ultimately influenced by Reaper Tech. The Protheans were just as reliant on finding "lost" knowledge from the Reapers as any other species.
It's all the same thing, using the mass effect for fast travel.

royox

The Reapers aren't gods. They aren't all-knowing. It's possible that some system, out on the edges never had a Mass Relay put in. So the Reapers would never have went there, and wouldn't have observed it.

Remember those times, before ME3 ending, when Reapers were the shit, almost gods and all-knowing?

Last time we saw Harbinger he was leaving the Earth.......perhaphs he scaped the traffic light xplosions?

prag16

Banned
What I want to see in this game is more detailed non-squadmate NPCs. The fact that your squad has been accurately modeled whereas the rest of the characters look fucking awful was really annoying. Also put some effort in making unique looking Krogans, Salarians, Turians, etc.

Yeah, this is something that's always been somewhat immersion breaking, especially in games where you often have tight camera shots on these NPCs (e.g. if all thugs in Uncharted look the same, meh, but in KOTOR or Mass Effect, it's kinda annoying).

I think this is something that needs to be rectified now that a lot more storage, memory, and processing power is at the disposal of devs.

Not really, I just saw Lovecraft knockoffs who played a good game, but hid behind cryptic stuff when it came to real issues :p

Exactly, they always said stuff like, "You can't even comprehend our purpose, bud!" They came off as arrogant more than god-like. Dicks of the Universe.

Human ship use ezero, based on Prothean designs ultimately influenced by Reaper Tech. The Protheans were just as reliant on finding "lost" knowledge from the Reapers as any other species.
It's all the same thing, using the mass effect for fast travel.

Yeah, but none of this explains why they would have been destroyed during the Destroy ending. There's nothing inherently reaper about an eezo core that would cause it to be destroyed.

RedSwirl

They need to increase the exploration aspect of the game and they should add more quite and non-combat missions to the main storyline.

Yes. Or at least add more non-combat stuff in general. Samara's loyalty mission was one of my favorite parts of Mass Effect 2. Probably the most impressive section of Mass Effect 1 was Noveria because you spent most of your time there navigating internal corporate politics and you could do so in several ways.

ME 1 and 2 are very close to being equal parts detective game and action game. Shit, why can't you just BE a detective in space in Mass Effect?

The Prothaens allowed the current cycle to advance ahead of the Reaper's intended designs because a select few survived the culling by cryogenically freezing themselves. They went planet to planet setting up basic tenants of civilization by teaching the inhabitants basic math, science, and language while distributing databases for them to find when they were ready but the basic technology is still Reaper Tech that the Prothaens reverse engineered.

Patryn

The Prothaens allowed the current cycle to advance ahead of the Reaper's intended designs because a select few survived the culling by cryogenically freezing themselves. They went planet to planet setting teaching the inhabitants basic math, science, and language while setting up databases for them to find when they were ready but the basic technology is still Reaper Tech that the Prothaens reverse engineered.
I don't think this is right. What is your source? Ilos people just went to the Citadel.

The experimenting and helping of Asari and humans took place prior to arrival of the Reapers.

Yeah, but none of this explains why they would have been destroyed during the Destroy ending. There's nothing inherently reaper about an eezo core that would cause it to be destroyed.
If you are talking about the Mass Relays, they were destroyed in the process of producing the "magic colored space rays" that produced the ending of you choice. It was part of how the mechanism worked. The ezero wasn't the cause of the explosion.

if you are talking about individual mass effect drives, I don't get the impression that those were destroyed in any of the endings. Damaged, like on the Normandy, but not destroyed.

I don't think this is right. What is your source? Ilos people just went to the Citadel.

The experimenting and helping of Asari and humans took place prior to arrival of the Reapers.

Did you play the "From Ashes" DLC? It's explained when you take the Prothaen the Thessia.

Patryn

Did you play the "From Ashes" DLC? It's explained when you take the Prothaen the Thessia.
Javik was talking about stuff that happened prior to the Reapers arriving to harvest the Protheans, not after.

Remember, he was frozen during the harvest, so he'd have no knowledge of what happened after.

royox

The Prothaens allowed the current cycle to advance ahead of the Reaper's intended designs because a select few survived the culling by cryogenically freezing themselves. They went planet to planet setting up basic tenants of civilization by teaching the inhabitants basic math, science, and language while distributing databases for them to find when they were ready but the basic technology is still Reaper Tech that the Prothaens reverse engineered.

When the reapers came, protheans left all tracks of their presence near the younguest species just to keep the reapers "eyes" far from them.

Patryn

When the reapers came, protheans left all tracks of their presence near the younguest species just to keep the reapers "eyes" far from them.
The Reapers specifically left all non-space faring species alone.

This is by design. Remember, they said they didn't want to eliminate all life, only advanced life likely to create synthetics.

I remember when their leader was presented as a childish buffoon in ME2.

500e4f55406ae72862d80d83415614a70a966c4e5889ab3073a6d568b1200eee.jpg

If you are talking about the Mass Relays, they were destroyed in the process of producing the "magic colored space rays" that produced the ending of you choice. It was part of how the mechanism worked. The ezero wasn't the cause of the explosion.

if you are talking about individual mass effect drives, I don't get the impression that those were destroyed in any of the endings. Damaged, like on the Normandy, but not destroyed.

We were originally talking about individual drives, yeah. Nostremitus was saying it was a plot-hole that they weren't destroyed, but I don't think it is. I see no reason why they should have been.

Javik was talking about stuff that happened prior to the Reapers arriving to harvest the Protheans, not after.

So, you didn't take him there? The Asari Goddess was a Prothaen that visited them after the Reapers left to jumpstart their civilization. Play through it again and take both Javik and Liara on the mission. Javik enjoys telling Liara that his race are what the Asari worship. The DLC also talks about the other Prothaen who were cryogenically frozen at other sites but when they were automatically reawoken, they didn't have the numbers to restart their empire. So they set a plan in motion to take vengeance through the actions of the developing races by jumpstarting their cycle so that they would have the ability to fight the Reapers when they returned.

Patryn

So, you didn't take him there? The Asari Goddess was a Prothaen that visited them after the Reapers left to jumpstart their civilization. Play through it again and take both Javik and Liara on the mission. Javik enjoys telling Liara that his race are what the Asari worship.
I did. You have the timeline wrong.

They didn't freeze themselves and come out after the Reapers to teach them. Again, Javik went into hibernation while the Reapers were still around.

They helped the Asari before the Reapers came to harvest the Protheans.

500e4f55406ae72862d80d83415614a70a966c4e5889ab3073a6d568b1200eee.jpg

We were originally talking about individual drives, yeah. Nostremitus was saying it was a plot-hole that they weren't destroyed, but I don't think it is. I see no reason why they should have been.
Agreed. The magic space rays could have easily targeted AI cores and positronic brains while leaving more basic reaper tech in place. Just because destroying all the ezero drives in the galaxy is not conducive to sequels.

So, you didn't take him there? The Asari Goddess was a Prothaen that visited them after the Reapers left to jumpstart their civilization. Play through it again and take both Javik and Liara on the mission. Javik enjoys telling Liara that his race are what the Asari worship.

I don't remember him saying this bit.

Yes, but all happened before the reapers came. The Protheans were wiped out by the Reapers, with the lone exception of Javik and the scientists on Ilos.

I think I know where you are getting confused. What you are describing was the plan for Javik and his troops, as detailed in From Ashes. However, they were attacked and destroyed by Reaper forces before they could put it in place. Javik was the only survivor, and he overslept by 40000 years.

It still bothers how ME2 spent all that time building up Harbinger and then he's nonexistent in ME3 except for a cameo at the end.

The "leader" and oldest of the Reapers, the big bad of ME2, and we get nothing from in ME3. SMH.

royox

I don't remember him saying this bit.

I don't remember him saying that too, but I remember the whole Church scene. You can explore all the statues and paintings and Liara will say what they are or what they mean. Every Asari god Liara descrived was a prothean and Javik was there to tell her that.

The scene was like

Liara:"This is our goddes (insert name) teaching us how to make buildings"
Javik: "In fact, this is one of my comrades teaching you how to make buildings"

Liara cant handle the fact that the Asari are where they are because the Protheans allowed it and almost ends that whole scene crying in a corner....moments later she almost explodes in rage discussing with Javik inside the Normandy.

Liara vs Javik

I don't remember him saying that too, but I remember the whole Church scene. You can explore all the statues and paintings and Liara will say what they are or what they mean. Every Asari god Liara descrived was a prothean and Javik was there to tell her that.

The scene was like

Liara:"This is our goddes (insert name) teaching us how to make buildings"
Javik: "In fact, this is one of my comrades teaching you how to make buildings"

Liara cant handle the fact that the Asari are where they are because the Protheans allowed it and almost ends that whole scene crying in a corner....moments later she almost explodes in rage discussing with Javik inside the Normandy.

Liara vs Javik

"By the goddess...literally".

I try so hard to forget that line, damnit.

Daemul

Yes, but all happened before the reapers came. The Protheans were wiped out by the Reapers, with the lone exception of Javik and the scientists on Ilos.

I think I know where you are getting confused. What you are describing was the plan for Javik and his troops, as detailed in From Ashes. However, they were attacked and destroyed by Reaper forces before they could put it in place. Javik was the only survivor, and he overslept by 40000 years.

If I remember correctly, The VI, Victory I think it was called, had to divert all power from the other stasis pods due to the damage the facility had taken in order to keep Javik's one running so that there could be someone alive when the next cycle came around.

He wasn't the only survivor. The other survivors reprogrammed the Keepers so that they wouldn't re activate the Citadel Relay, then left the Citadel spending the rest of their lives trying to prep the fledgling species for the war they'd fight thousands of years later. If they hadn't survived, the Reapers would've started the purge without the need for Saren or the Geth. They'd have just appeared in force suddenly from the Citadel. When the other Reapers didn't show up on time, Sovereign started investigating and eventually Mass Effect 1 happened.

The other survivors couldn't have done this prior to the end of the war because the Citadel was under Reaper control until they left the galaxy through it.

He wasn't the only survivor. The other survivors disabled the citadel so that the Reapers weren't able to re activate it from their end, then left the Citadel spending the rest of their lives trying to prep the fledgling species for the war they'd fight thousands of years later. If they hadn't survived, the Reapers would've started the purge without the need for Saren or the Geth. They'd have just appeared in force suddenly from the Citadel. When the other Reapers didn't show up on time, Sovereign started investigating and eventually Mass Effect 1 happened.
The scientists never got off the Citadel. They died after altering the Citadel to no longer accept the remote signal from the reapers.

Patryn

He wasn't the only survivor. The other survivors disabled the citadel so that the Reapers weren't able to re activate it from their end, then left the Citadel spending the rest of their lives trying to prep the fledgling species for the war they'd fight thousands of years later. If they hadn't survived, the Reapers would've started the purge without the need for Saren or the Geth. They'd have just appeared in force suddenly from the Citadel. When the other Reapers didn't show up on time, Sovereign started investigating and eventually Mass Effect 1 happened.
No, they starved to death on the Citadel. Vigil says that flat out.

No, they starved to death on the Citadel. Vigil says that flat out.

The scientists never got off the Citadel. They died after altering the Citadel to no longer accept the remote signal from the reapers.

From the Mass Effect Wiki
The surviving Prothean scientists knew that rescue was unlikely. Instead, they chose to protect the races they had been studying, spared destruction due to their lack of advancement, and began working out where the Reapers had come from, and how. After decades of study, they worked out the connection between the Reapers, the Citadel, and the keepers, and discovered a way to interfere with the signal that compels the keepers to activate the Citadel relay. Using the Conduit, the Prothean scientists left Ilos, travelled to the Citadel and altered this signal. Their intention was to prevent the Reapers from opening the Citadel relay again, and trap them in dark space, but they had no way to be certain their plan had succeeded.

The fate of these Prothean scientists is unknown. As the Conduit portal only links one way and there was no food or water left on the Citadel, Vigil hypothesized they eventually starved to death.

I was wrong. The Prothean scientists worked for decades before traveling to the Citadel. I had the timeline all wrong, and where the scientists were wrong. That's what I get for trying to have a conversation like this while working, lol.

RedSwirl

In ME1 the only one who even mentions the exact amount of time is Kaidan (at that time it has been something like 26 years since first contact), understanding how far humanity still has to go.

It's also the reason why I think it made sense to still have a lot of anti-alien sentiment from humans in ME1, and why I don't really get the hate for Ashley. Shepard, Ashley, and many other humans are among the first generation of humans born after or around the time of first contact. It's probably still pretty tough for a lot of them to get used to aliens socially. You have people like Kaidan who've had experiences making them a bit more willing to transition, right-wing-minded people like Ashley who while not openly hateful are still beholden to old ways, and then extreme traditionalists like the Terra Firma party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom