• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moofers

malfcn said:
I know I will get crap for it, but I like Slipknot and Chimaira.
Chimaira is still cool by me (check this awesome instrumental http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH513ZwjpZU ) but Slipknot is ruined for me. There was a day when they were something new and kind of exciting, but now I feel like Corey Taylor is such a little bitch that whatever legacy Slipknot had built is forever stained. Its like all Slipknot does now is make ballads because Taylor can't remember that he's not in Stone Sour all the time. And don't give me this "If you don't like it, you were never a real fan of slipknot anyway" crap, because I was there when you called out bands like Nickelback for "pulling the balls off of metal" and now here you are doing exactly that a decade later.

This thread is full of metal elitists and that's why I don't really bother coming in here too much, but I'm a huge fan of metal. Soulfly, Fear Factory, Symphony X, Chimaira, Testament, American Head Charge, Ozzy, Megadeth, Katatonia, Morta Skuld....I have a pretty decent range of stuff that I say is metal and will always be metal no matter what some "death to false metal" asshole thinks. If you want to talk about Slipknot and Chimaira, go for it dude. I'll meet you at Chimaira, at least. \m/

Sielys

How does GAF feel about Blind Guardian?

blind_guardian_fly__big.jpg

I just started listening to them a few days ago, I like what I hear so far.

Sielys said:

You'll find many BG fans here, myself among them. You really can't go wrong with them no matter where you start, although A Twist in the Myth is regarded as their worst by most, despite still being pretty good.

Sielys said:

Favorite band ever. I was just listening to Imaginations From the Other Side today while eating breakfast, in fact.

Basically all of their albums are essential (though some don't like their first two or A Twist in the Myth).

Great starting albums:
Imaginations from the Other Side
Nightfall in Middle Earth
At the Edge of Time

Mr. Paer said:
Favorite band ever. I was just listening to Imaginations From the Other Side today while eating breakfast, in fact.

Basically all of their albums are essential (though some don't like their first two or A Twist in the Myth).

Great starting albums:
At the Edge of Time

I'd even maybe add Somewhere Far Beyond to the good starter albums as well. No doubt, Imaginations and Nightfall are certainly the go to albums when I recommend them to anybody.

fallout

Yeah, I've probably gotten people into them by using Nightfall in Middle Earth more so than other albums. If it hooks them in, they eventually start looking into the other albums and before you know it, they're standing next to you at a concert chanting: "Valhalla! Deliverance! Why've you ever forgotten me?"

yacobod

Banned
Mr. Paer said:
Great starting albums:
At the Edge of Time

smh at those recommendations. should start with tales from the twilight world, somewhere far beyond, and tokyo tales. it's all downhill after imaginations from the other side.

yacobod said:
smh at those recommendations. should start with tales from the twilight world, somewhere far beyond, and tokyo tales. it's all downhill after imaginations from the other side.

He's recommending good starting albums, though. The more melodic, hooky songs are on Imaginations and Nightfall and new listeners tend to gravitate towards those. TftTW is undeniably delicious to be sure, though. Probably the forgotten really awesome BG album.

Also, I know there are a few Manowar fans here so here's the sad news. Scott Columbus has passed away at the age of 54. It's a sad day, to be sure. : (

CassSept

fallout said:
Yeah, I've probably gotten people into them by using Nightfall in Middle Earth more so than other albums. If it hooks them in, they eventually start looking into the other albums and before you know it, they're standing next to you at a concert chanting: "Valhalla! Deliverance! Why've you ever forgotten me?"
...for 4 minutes+ after the song has ended.

Nightfall from Middle-Earth is probably the easiest to get into and their best album besides Imaginations from the Other Side.
I'd say A Night at the Opera is also a good started album, I remember I loved it when I was started listening to BG/metal in general. Though now I don't really like that much besides And Then There Was Silence, which is as godly as it ever was. Oh, and it also features Hansis over Hansis over Hansis.
For their earliest work I'd recommend Tales from the Twilight World as start point, though again, everything is from my personal experience.

Ceres

Banned
Agent Ironside said:
I. Love. Mercenary.

Omnium Gatherum would be my fav metal band if it wasnt for the singer.

Just wanted to post that. Im done here.

They were pretty good but I think their last album was fucking awful. It doesn't help that it's basically a new (generic) band since I don't think there's a single original member left anymore. I'll stick to stuff like 11 Dreams era Mercenary.

yacobod said:
"What's this?! Somebody is just getting into Blind Guardian and you recommend three of their most critically acclaimed and widely praised albums??? SMH!!"

oh you

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Mr. Paer said:
"What's this?! Somebody is just getting into Blind Guardian and you recommend three of their most critically acclaimed and widely praised albums??? SMH!!"

oh you

He complains about it every time the band comes up. It is just a different opinion. I'm a fan of all of their albums even if some of them are weaker than the others.

sazabirules said:
He complains about it every time the band comes up. It is just a different opinion. I'm a fan of all of their albums even if some of them are weaker than the others.
Yeah I know. I'm pretty sure he's the only person I've EVER encountered with that opinion (except maybe Phobophile, who I haven't seen in this thread in forever... what ever happened to him?)

Earlier BG albums are totally boss to be sure, but they are a little more raw and speed based, and the main draw to the band for the past fifteen years has been the epic choruses and layered guitar work

That is certainly some of the coolest album art I've seen in a while. I've never heard anything by Immortal before, but I'm starting the listen of the album now

Mr. Paer said:
That is certainly some of the coolest album art I've seen in a while. I've never heard anything by Immortal before, but I'm starting the listen of the album now

Immortal - Pure Holocaust
go.
it's a must for blasting black metal and awesome riffs.

good to see Demonaz doing something on his own.

Giant Robot said:
Immortal - Pure Holocaust
go.
it's a must for blasting black metal and awesome riffs.

good to see Demonaz doing something on his own.
Excellent. Consider it officially added to my list

Two songs in to the Demonaz album, and it's pretty fucking brutal so far. Loving it

Mr. Paer said:

Do yourself a favour and check out Immortal's At the Heart of Winter

I'd also really recommend I - Between Two Worlds. It's Abbath from Immortal joined by some other black metal vets (and Demonaz does the lyrics as usual) and they play some amazing heavy metal.

jmdajr

Mr. Paer said:

Great starting albums:
At the Edge of Time

Masterpiece ^

as far as Immortal goes I like their later albums like At the Heart of Winter, Damned in Black, Sons of Northern Darkness..

thanks for that Demonaz link... I did like Battles in the North, just not as much as what I listed.

edit: buy them , great deals

OmegaDragon said:
I'd also really recommend I - Between Two Worlds. It's Abbath from Immortal joined by some other black metal vets (and Demonaz does the lyrics as usual) and they play some amazing heavy metal.

i would also recommend that. It's silly metal/rock n roll with Immortal's trademark glacial riffing. I remember reading some interview where Abbath says its basically a Chuck Berry hard rock album and their drummer didn't want to join if it had blast beats in it.

NoRéN said:
Hello everyone. Don't think I've ever really posted in here but seems like the right thread to ask.
Lately I've been listening to Therion alot. So, i was wondering if anyone could recommend some stuff that is similar to Therion?
Now, I wouldn't consider myself a fan exactly, I just really like certain songs. I have the Live albums and the songs that have really satisfied my craving as of late are stuff like:
The Wild Hunt
Wine of Aluqah
Blood of Kingu

So, any recommendations, either similar Therion songs or other bands, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Unfortunately, there is no band that comes close to what Therion produces are far as symphonic/operatic metal goes. Some may suggest Haggard, but their material is pretty damn boring and repetitive compared to Therion's.

Just listen to all of Therion's albums (well, maybe not their early death metal ones- if that's not your thing).

rexor0717

As for Blind Guardian, listen to Nightfall in Middle Earth and Imaginations from the Other Side. Both of those albums are amazing. It took me a while to get into Imaginations, but it was well worth the effort. Their newest album is also pretty good.

Nekrono

Ok I am in need of more progressive bands to my collection, anyone care to recommend some?

Being a somewhat underground genre it's a bit hard to find bads without word of mouth.

I like everything progressive like DT, Symphony X, Andromeda, Circus Maximus, 3, etc, you get the idea.

OmegaDragon said:
Do yourself a favour and check out Immortal's At the Heart of Winter

Both songs were excellent

Thanks for the recs guys!
Nekrono said:
Ok I am in need of more progressive bands to my collection, anyone care to recommend some?

Being a somewhat underground genre it's a bit hard to find bads without word of mouth.

I like everything progressive like DT, Symphony X, Andromeda, Circus Maximus, 3, etc, you get the idea.

Anubis Gate has some cool stuff
I recommend Andromeda Unchained

Ceres

Banned
Nekrono said:

Seventh Wonder - Waiting in the Wings, Mercy Falls, and The Great Escape
Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition (more in the prog rock genre)
Vanden Plas - Christ O
Redemption - The Fullness of Time
Pagan's Mind - Don't have an album recommendation as I'm not a big fan of them on CD. Love them live though.

Nekrono

Mr. Paer said:
Both songs were excellent

Thanks for the recs guys!

Anubis Gate has some cool stuff
I recommend Andromeda Unchained

Holy shit man that song was pretty good! I got a vibe from Circus Maximus vocalist at times while listening to it, pretty cool.

I'll definitely check out them and that album, thanks!.

Ceres said:
Seventh Wonder - Waiting in the Wings, Mercy Falls, and The Great Escape
Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition (more in the prog rock genre)
Vanden Plas - Christ O
Redemption - The Fullness of Time
Pagan's Mind - Don't have an album recommendation as I'm not a big fan of them on CD. Love them live though.

Those bolded I already listen and i'm a big fan too, especially Pagan's Mind, damn you for seeing them live! I'm so jealous.

I think Osiris' Triumphant Return is so much better than the album version.

Also this! one of the most well put together medley's i have heard.

I will check out the other bands you mentioned, thanks!

Been listening to the new Cavalera Conspiracy the past few days on the ride to and from work. Ehhhhhhh its not bad but theres just nothing that grabs me by the testicles.

I'm having a real hard time finding any new metal I like these days. Some would say maybe I'm growing out of it but I dont think so. I still love all my oldies but goodies. Maybe someone can help me with some new suggestions?

Bands I love

Pantera
Down
Sepultura
Machine Head
Pro-Pain (first few albums, then they got horrid)
Chimaira
Mushroomhead (J-mann era)
Alice in Chains (not really metal but...)
Slayer
LoG

Nekrono said:

Like others have said:
Anubis Gate(Andromeda Unchained, The Detached)-These two albums are great, but dont get used to the guys voice since he wont be on the next album unfortunately :(
Seventh Wonder(Waiting in the Wings, Mercy Falls, Great Escape)
Serenity(Fallen Sanctuary is a must, new album Death and Legacy is also good)
Darkwater(both of their albums, Calling the Earth to Witness, Where Stories End)-very underrated and pretty much unknown but are awesome
Knight Area(Under A New Sign)
Pyramaze(Legend of the Bone Carver, Melancholy Beast)
Sonata Arctica(first 4 albums, Ecliptica, Silence, Winterhearts Guild, Reckoning Night)
Threshold(Critical Mass, Subsurface, Dead Reckoning)
Shadow Gallery(Tyranny)

Phew. Seriously, you cant go wrong with any of the above. The best thing to do other than post here is to find a band you really like(thats prog) and go to amazon/cduniverse and look up the similar artists that it gives you for the albums. Thats how I came across all of the above.

Also, not sure if you saw above but Symphony X has their new album coming out in a couple of months. Keep an eye out. :)

ruuk

Browns Town said:
Been listening to the new Cavalera Conspiracy the past few days on the ride to and from work. Ehhhhhhh its not bad but theres just nothing that grabs me by the testicles.

I'm having a real hard time finding any new metal I like these days. Some would say maybe I'm growing out of it but I dont think so. I still love all my oldies but goodies. Maybe someone can help me with some new suggestions?

Bands I love

Pantera
Down
Sepultura
Machine Head
Chimaira
Slayer
LoG
I've been a fan of everything you've mentioned there for decades or more (except for Lamb of God, wtf!?). Here's a few you may like:
Mastodon (I'd recommend everything but the Call of the Mastodon e.p., it's basically their original demo, and more or less for fans). Start with Leviathan or Remission, when their riffs were at their riffiest, beyond that they begin to get a little more prog, which is fucking awesome, but nothing you list is really very proggy at all, and your first foray into this type of music might take you a few listens to digest it.

Soulfly (much better than Cavelera Conspiracy, though if you've dug that far into Max's world you've probably already heard what they do. The first album is by far the best album).

Fear Factory (Get anything they do, but save Digimortal and Transgression for last, as they're generally considered the weakest of the bunch. They each have good tracks, but there's also several weak ones and/or covers).

You don't mention staples like Metallica or Megadeth, so I can only assume they're either a given, or you've made it a point to not listen to them. If perhaps you like thrash then pick up Testament's first few albums, up through Low, and their latest one, Formation of Damnation.

Iced Earth is another good one, though a couple of their albums are hit or miss as they change vocalists and style a bit here and there. Start with The Dark Saga (a Spawn concept album), and Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Suicidal Tendencies, check Wikipedia and get everything they released between 1988-1992.

Baroness Get both the Blue and the Red album.

Celtic Frost, the vocals can be an acquired taste depending on the album, but if you like Sepultura you'll like the guys that inspired them.

Grip Inc. Ever wonder what Dave Lombardo was up to when during his Hiatus from Slayer? Listen to these guys to find out.

Listen to Obzen from Meshuggah, if you can tolerate it, you just might find yourself falling in love with them (and Obzen is their most accessible). Branch out into their back catalog from there. Their music is an acquired taste, once you acquire it you won't look at anybody else's music quite the same.

Snot, get their first and only genuine release "Get Some". Lead singer died shortly before their second album came out. Get Some shouldn't be missed.

Finally, if you feel you're ready to graduate to the next level, listen to Jane Doe by Converge. Their most accessible song from any album is pretty much this one, if you like it, take the time to acquire the taste for their music. You might just realize how everything else you've ever listened too suddenly sounds so amateur by comparison. Don't bother trying to figure out what he's saying.

P.S. If you can tolerate Prog with Death vocals listen to Opeth, pretty much the best band in the genre.

Lionheart1827 said:
Like others have said:
Anubis Gate(Andromeda Unchained, The Detached)-These two albums are great, but dont get used to the guys voice since he wont be on the next album unfortunately :(
Seventh Wonder(Waiting in the Wings, Mercy Falls, Great Escape)
Serenity(Fallen Sanctuary is a must, new album Death and Legacy is also good)
Darkwater(both of their albums, Calling the Earth to Witness, Where Stories End)-very underrated and pretty much unknown but are awesome
Knight Area(Under A New Sign)
Pyramaze(Legend of the Bone Carver, Melancholy Beast)
Sonata Arctica(first 4 albums, Ecliptica, Silence, Winterhearts Guild, Reckoning Night)
Threshold(Critical Mass, Subsurface, Dead Reckoning)
Shadow Gallery(Tyranny)
Hell yes. IMO Lionheart is the resident expert on prog metal. Great recommendations all around (and even a few I haven't checked out yet, which I'll certainly do soon now)

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Browns Town said:

Bands I love

Pantera
Down
Sepultura
Machine Head
Chimaira
Slayer
LoG

Try these albums:

Seventh Void - Heaven Is Gone
Am I Blood - The Truth Inside the Dying Sun
Overkill - The Years of Decay
Devin Townsend - Addicted
Entombed - Wolverine Blues
Byzantine - ...And They Shall Take Up Serpents
The Haunted - The Haunted
Killing Joke - Absolute Dissent

Ruuk, I've listened to pretty much everything you've listed. I tried to list my fav bands but there are plenty more that I like here and there. Testament, Overkill, ST, FF to name a few would all fall in the like category. The others you listed just never really grabbed me. Besides Snot. I don't think I've ever really listened to them. Plenty of other bands that go on the like list instead of love. Exodus, Death, Sabbath, Crowbar, Hatebreed, Anthrax, Deftones, yeah of course Met & Mega, Superjoint (Phil can pretty much no wrong with me music-wise. Except Viking Crown, yuck. Whats wrong with LoG?!

Witchfinder - I will check those out, thanks!

ianp622

Nekrono said:

Cynic. I personally like Traced in Air more than Focus, but I feel like I'm sort of alone in it. I think the sound is so otherworldly it's simply mindblowing.

Gaspode_T

Cynic's re-release throws in even more industrial/techno sounds and I heard their live shows these days are toned down enough that they are participating in some indie rock festivals..(acoustic gigs)

That said, I like them anyway, for some reason I think of a world of cyberpunk when listening to their CDs. (Like the manga Eden would make a good backdrop for a music video...)

I second the recommendation of Threshold for any Dream Theater/prog fans, massively underrated band in anywhere but the UK.

Let me toss out a shout out to the website BNR Metal, these sort of hand crafted websites are a rarity these days and should be treasured. http://www.bnrmetal.com/

Prog metal list: http://www.bnrmetal.com/v2/genre.php?ID=P
Each band has hand written impressions by the author who is not only a talented writer he has listened to enough metal to call out bands that are truly innovative.

Gaspode_T

Speaking of hand crafted metal websites, let me also throw in a plug for Chris Slack's amazing website Gravemusic.com: http://www.mortado.com/gravemusic/

Most of the bands he covers are DM, but the gallery of photos is amazing and I like his reviews as well...there are some really tiny venues in Seattle and it allowed him to take amazing pictures of some bands like Behemoth and Opeth. I miss living in Seattle...awesome metal scene there...

ruuk

Browns Town said:
Ruuk, I've listened to pretty much everything you've listed. I tried to list my fav bands but there are plenty more that I like here and there. Testament, Overkill, ST, FF to name a few would all fall in the like category. The others you listed just never really grabbed me. Besides Snot. I don't think I've ever really listened to them. Plenty of other bands that go on the like list instead of love. Exodus, Death, Sabbath, Crowbar, Hatebreed, Anthrax, Deftones, yeah of course Met & Mega, Superjoint (Phil can pretty much no wrong with me music-wise. Except Viking Crown, yuck. Whats wrong with LoG?!

Witchfinder - I will check those out, thanks!
How about:
Amon Amarth: Symphonic Viking Death Metal (Start with Twilight of the Thundergod)
Black Breath: Black Metal/Thrash (Start with Heavy Breathing)
Gaza: A doomy post-metal noise core (Start with He is Never Coming Back)
Arch Enemy: Classic Rock tinged melodic Swedish death metal (Start anywhere, note they change vocalists halfway through their career, and production values are way way up on later releases.)
Static-X: Techno Metal in an FF/White Zombie vein, (you've probably heard their stuff already. If not start with Wisconsin Death Trip or Start a War)
Kataklysm: Speedy death metal. Ignore the video, listen to the audio.
Down I Go: An English System of a Down/Dillinger Escape Plan soundalike.
Atheist: Experemental technical death metal. All their shit rocks. They had something like a 15-20 year hiatus between albums, the song linked is their latest effort.
Infectious Grooves: Funk Metal starring half the people from Suicidal Tendencies.
Shotgun Messiah: Skip everything but Violent New Breed. It's a pre-KMFDM Industrial Album that sounds nothing like their other stuff.

Remember to check all the related songs if you don't like the ones linked.

NoRéN

Verano said:
S E P T I C F L E S H
Cool, I'll look them up. Any specific album to start with?
Something Wicked said:
Unfortunately, there is no band that comes close to what Therion produces are far as symphonic/operatic metal goes. Some may suggest Haggard, but their material is pretty damn boring and repetitive compared to Therion's.

Just listen to all of Therion's albums (well, maybe not their early death metal ones- if that's not your thing).
I was afraid of that.
Still one of the best bands I've ever seen live. Despite not getting the full set up(saw them when they toured US) they were very impressive.

edit: Ruuk, what would you recommend for someone who randomly listened to Fate of Norns one day and really liked it? I guess I'm a sucker for the steady double bass/double pedal action.

NoRéN said:
Sorry, I meant other Amon Amarth songs but this is pretty good. Sick drumming at the beginning!
With Oden on Our Side and Vs. The World are the other two AA essentials besides Twilight of the Thunder God

Their newest, Surtur Rising, has some good stuff on it too so you might wanna give that a shot as well

And I'll always have a special spot in my heart for Alestorm. Alestorm and Tyr was my first metal concert ever <3

ruuk

NoRéN said:
Sorry, I meant other Amon Amarth songs but this is pretty good. Sick drumming at the beginning!
I haven't parsed Amon Amarth albums with thoughts of double bass drumming in mind, because so much of their music relies on it anyway. I'd recommend running through a few related videos to Amon Amarth songs on youtube and seeing which ones grab you. Stuff like this has quite a bit of it.

To be honest when I want my fill of double bass drums I usually go the Fear Factory (or Slayer) route.
more
more

NoRéN

Mr. Paer, thanks. Now I know what to look for.
ruuk said:
I haven't parsed Amon Amarth albums with thoughts of double bass drumming in mind, because so much of their music relies on it anyway. I'd recommend running through a few related videos to Amon Amarth songs on youtube and seeing which ones grab you. Stuff like this has quite a bit of it.
Fuck!! This, this right here! Exactly what I was craving.

NoRéN said:
Fuck!! This, this right here! Exactly what I was craving.
If you are looking for fast and thrashy, check out some early Kreator. I've just discovered them recently but have been unable to listen to anything else for the past several weeks. Their shit gets me pumped like no other band has before. This isn't melodic death metal though, so maybe it isn't what your after. But hey, any chance I get to pimp this band now I'm gonna take

When The Sun Burns Red
Coma of Souls
Stream of Consciousness

Sticking with specific excellent Amon Amarth songs, here are two of my favorites

Where is Your God (probably one of their most brutal songs, fucking love it)
Asator

NoRéN

Mr. Paer said:
If you are looking for fast and thrashy, check out some early Kreator. I've just discovered them recently but have been unable to listen to anything else for the past several weeks. Their shit gets me pumped like no other band has before. This isn't melodic death metal though, so maybe it isn't what your after. But hey, any chance I get to pimp this band now I'm gonna take

When The Sun Burns Red
Coma of Souls
Stream of Consciousness

Sticking with specific excellent Amon Amarth songs, here are two of my favorites

Where is Your God (probably one of their most brutal songs, fucking love it)
Asator
Currently listening to Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising. So far, it's good. I figure I would work my way backwards.

Thanks for reminding me about Kreator. You've probably already heard it but, I recommend:
Enemy Of God

malfcn said:
Damnit. Now Chris left Chimaira.

Startin to worry about these guys. I think each album has gotten a lot better and I have big expectations for the next one. And now lately it seems like they're falling apart, wtf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom