• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've checked out two new albums today.

The first was the new Blackguard album, "Firefight". I was a big fan of Profugis Mortis, although I found out pretty quickly that this band is relatively reviled in the online metal scene. Apparently people thought of them as the Dragonforce of folk metal, which I never really got. They always sounded like a folky version of Children of Bodom to me or maybe a little bit like Equilibrium, never really heard the Dragonforce comparison aside from them both being fast and metal. Anyways, this new album is a disappointment aside from maybe 3 tracks, them being the first and last 2. Everything else really does sound like CoB, and not the awesome catchy stuff from the first 3 albums, either. A shame, it seems that when they axed their keyboard player they lost the catchy melodies that made them stand out.

The second album is Stratovarius' new one, "Elysium". I really enjoyed their previous album Polaris, so I was hoping for more in this release and I'm very pleased with it. I actually like their newer stuff better than their stuff with Tolkki, and I think it has something to do with them moving in a more progressive, atmospheric direction. Less emphasis on flashy solos and more on the compositions, as it were. Great stuff, particularly if you are into the finnish brand of speedy, melodic stuff. Which you should be.

Question, my metal brethren. This weekend at the university I go to there is a campus wide party called "Fool's Fest". Essentially, you drink heavily the entire weekend and wander about from party to party (so basically like every weekend here, except that far more people will be participating this weekend). I've been drinking since 7:30, so it's already off to a great start

I'm looking for some booze related metal songs. So far all I can come up with are a few Korpiklaani tracks (Vodka and Beer Beer) and Alestorm (Wenches and Mead; or, the pirate's way of saying GDGL). I've been listening to these on repeat all morning

Any other metal tracks celebrating the joys of inebriation?

Also hope you all have a great weekend. Nothing is quite as good as the combination of liquor and metal!

Mr. Paer said:
Question, my metal brethren. This weekend at the university I go to there is a campus wide party called "Fool's Fest". Essentially, you drink heavily the entire weekend and wander about from party to party (so basically like every weekend here, except that far more people will be participating this weekend). I've been drinking since 7:30, so it's already off to a great start

I'm looking for some booze related metal songs. So far all I can come up with are a few Korpiklaani tracks (Vodka and Beer Beer) and Alestorm (Wenches and Mead; or, the pirate's way of saying GDGL). I've been listening to these on repeat all morning

Also hope you all have a great weekend. Nothing is quite as good as the combination of liquor and metal!

every single Tankard song.
Tankard - Total Addiction
Tankard - For A Thousand Beers
Tankard - Alcohol

Their earlier stuff had put more emphasis and some seriousness in their music. Then they partied way too hard and just did party songs.

anything Chris Reifert related should be noted. Not really anything to do with beer drinking, but you can get drunk and high just by listening to any of his bands. Utterly filthy production and fucking awesome. One of my favorite persons in metal.

Abcess - Urine Junkies
Autopsy - In The Grip Of Winter
Autopsy - Service For A Vacant Coffin

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
corkscrewblow said:
the fuck is this shit?

They're more talented than 99% of metal bands today.

CreepedOut1.gif

Mr. Paer said:

I just created a playlist devoted to the delights of beer and metal for a drive down to Philadelphia for a winter beerfest. Korpiklaani and Alestorm are two easy ones, a few more:

Blackguard: This Round's on Me
Ensiferum: Twilight Tavern
Manowar: Die for Metal (has a single line about getting a beer, but it's got a nice driving rhythm so it works as a song to drink to)
Running Wild: Port Royal
Tyr: The Wild Rover

Hesemonni said:
Back to the basics:

Raise your hand if you dig Bolt Thrower? There's just something about mid-tempo death metal that just makes your head slowly nod in the beginnig of the song and by the end of the song you're air drumming like crazy. Awesome shit.

2v96bl5.jpg

Bolt Thrower - Where Next To Conquer

god yes. Andy Whale's drumming style is so awesome. Warmaster and IVth Crusade are my 2 favorite Bolt Thrower albums.

Ceres

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
So, I've checked out two new albums today.

The first was the new Blackguard album, "Firefight". I was a big fan of Profugis Mortis, although I found out pretty quickly that this band is relatively reviled in the online metal scene. Apparently people thought of them as the Dragonforce of folk metal, which I never really got. They always sounded like a folky version of Children of Bodom to me or maybe a little bit like Equilibrium, never really heard the Dragonforce comparison aside from them both being fast and metal. Anyways, this new album is a disappointment aside from maybe 3 tracks, them being the first and last 2. Everything else really does sound like CoB, and not the awesome catchy stuff from the first 3 albums, either. A shame, it seems that when they axed their keyboard player they lost the catchy melodies that made them stand out.

They're mostly hated by a lot of online metal people because they're constantly opening for tours so people gripe every time they get announced for another one. This year they're already touring with Symphony X in April/May, Kamelot in Aug/Sept, then jumping on the rest of the Everygrey/Sabaton tour. And I wouldn't be surprised if they have another one in June/July I don't know about. Those three tours have pretty much the same fanbase so a lot of people will see Blackguard at least 3x this year. I personally have no issue with them as I've seen far worse openers (although honestly haven't been able to get to a lot of shows lately so I've only seen them once).

I also agree that I can see them having more in common with Children of Bodom than Dragonforce. Not sure why people are making that comparison and I haven't seen it in the places I frequent at Ultimate Metal although I see plenty of the complaints about opening for everyone.
It's really just a continuation of the joke back when Into Eternity opened all the major tours between 2002 and 2006. Of course, there's a lot more tours now then there were 5 years ago.

Ceres said:
They're mostly hated by a lot of online metal people because they're constantly opening for tours so people gripe every time they get announced for another one. This year they're already touring with Symphony X in April/May, Kamelot in Aug/Sept, then jumping on the rest of the Everygrey/Sabaton tour. And I wouldn't be surprised if they have another one in June/July I don't know about. Those three tours have pretty much the same fanbase so a lot of people will see Blackguard at least 3x this year. I personally have no issue with them as I've seen far worse openers (although honestly haven't been able to get to a lot of shows lately so I've only seen them once).

I also agree that I can see them having more in common with Children of Bodom than Dragonforce. Not sure why people are making that comparison and I haven't seen it in the places I frequent at Ultimate Metal although I see plenty of the complaints about opening for everyone.
It's really just a continuation of the joke back when Into Eternity opened all the major tours between 2002 and 2006. Of course, there's a lot more tours now then there were 5 years ago.

Blackguard definitely have been making the rounds live, that's for sure. I saw Children of Bodom 5 times in the span of a year at one point (opening for Iced Earth, Lamb of God, In Flames, etc) , and I can safely say I never, ever need to see them ever again. Perhaps people have the same sort of relationship with Blackguard right now.

ACE 1991

corkscrewblow said:
New BTBAM EP has leaked. It's really good. This band can do no wrong since Colors.

About halfway through. God damn, this band shows no signs of slowing down. Still my favorite metal band ever.

Verano

Now that we're in April the apocalypse will be upon us:
Septicflesh_The_Great_Mass1.jpg

septicflesh-the-great-mass.jpg

2011's AOTY already. and still Day 1 for me! :D

Mr. Paer said:
Now that it's officially out, I'm surprised more people here aren't talking about it. I was quite sure the AA presence was rather large in this thread

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It's definitely not their best, and there are a couple of disappointments (Tock's Taunt, Aerials cover) but to me, standout tracks like "For Victory or Death" and "Slaves of Fear" more than make up for those.

bounchfx

corpserot said:
Mallcore. It's the new numetal.

band gets attention it actually deserves >>>> They were just posers anyway

??? am I doing it right?

edit:
on an unrelated note, After 5 listens I'm actually REALLY digging the new PTH album. wasn't really sure about it at first. I think I like it as much as Fortress now, even though it has a completely different 'vibe'.

and Paracletus is still tearing shit up..

my guilty pleasure as of right now is Allegaeon's debut album. Didn't like that one too much at first either as a whole, but it's also grown on it.

and last but not least, I just discovered Tenhi recently and OH FUCK THEY'RE AWESOME. I'd recommend them if you like Agalloch's softer side.

ACE 1991

Mr. Paer said:
I've always had a negative impression of BTBAM. I've never really listened to them, but for some reason have always lumped them in the same group with bands like Slipknot or Disturbed... a sort of mainstream, emo-ish type of metal. Guess I'll check out the stream of the new album and give them a fair shot

Really, now.

corpserot

fallout said:
  1. What is mallcore?
  2. What makes BTBAM mallcore?
  3. How is mallcore the new numetal? (this might be inferred from [1]).
1. Urban Dictionary actually has a pretty good definition:

UD said:
A modern form of music, influenced, but wholly separate from Heavy Metal that incorporates rap, funk, simplified song structures, and subject matter geared towards the teens and youth of America. Topics often include alienation, parental abuse, and "the pain inside." Watch for simple rhyme patterns and a general lack of innovation. The oversaturation of the market with mallcore in analogous to the takeover of glam rock in the late 80s and early 90s as record companies scrambled to make a quick profit. The roots of mallcore go back to Anthrax's "I'm the Man" as well as Faith No More's "Epic." These visible hits which fused metal and rap inadvertently caused a tidal wave. Bands such as Korn and such spinoffs soon began to take over the market with detuned and substandard products. As the style of music overtook a naive fanbase, many bands, formerly true to heavy metal, began to lean towards mallcore tendencies. These bands, such as Metallica, In Flames, and others made their sound more accessible by simplifying their work and adding aspects of electronica, whispered vocals, simple chugging riffs, and taking focus off of lead guitars. This style of music as of late has been decreasing in popularity, as record companies have opted to move on to other styles of music. Most likely the style will experience a revival in the next decade as bands realize they have no money, having spent it in their prime. Revival tours and reunions will be common, and the pain of the past will be experienced once again.

2. Well, what you posted pretty much meets that definition to the tee, fortunately no rap from what I suffered through. If you want more proof, just read the lyrics. Stuff is actually pretty hilarious.

More of Myself to Kill - whole song[/quote said:
You have all wept once more... why? I would never ask
for such. Go.
I have realized for once in my existence my true
happiness. This is a first time for me... I feel
innocent, caring, and non-threatening.
Reincarnation for a better life... becoming one with
true harmony. No gods have caressed or burned me, only
nature is willing to comfort me.
Salvation is dead and all of you have passed away with
me today. I will never have to entertain or please any
of you ever again. I am alive.
My memory is the only thing keeping the old tears in
my eyes.
I still know that all of you are taking for the sake
of not leaving. You are killing the innocent for your
so-called nutrition. You are infecting our lands with
your filth. You are killing for the sake of your
promotions in life.
One day we will all be in this soil... with no gods to
slave to, and no heroes to kill for.

This should be a Gaf Mallcore fav -

Naked by the Computer said:
Those fists won't reach where she lays tonight. Your
little star in the sky just fell. For every minute she
spent in your heaven, was just a minute more in her hell.
Away from this world is her place in this world. Where
the sun's rising doesn't bring with it pain.
You have lost her now... she has forgotten you now.
Her nightmares and secrets washed away. The past won't
escape with your tears forever encased in hollowed out
soul. And that day when the smoke finally clears... your
dark, empty life will be the only one you know. This
picture of her, dead in your arms, will hang from the
nail that she drove through your heart. Your little
star in the sky just fell.

I could post more, but I think you know it's pretty much all this emo trash.

3. This style of music is the new big thing, there are probably 1,000+ bands out there that sound exactly the same. It's the new music that misguided youth buying into the mainstream version of being "hardcore" and edgy are into. Give it a couple years and it will dwindle down to pretty much where Nu Metal is at now, some of these turds have floated to the top and there will always be a large group of people unwilling to admit that it is bad, cookie cutter, unsophisticated music.

Greg

corpserot said:
1. Urban Dictionary actually has a pretty good definition:

2. Well, what you posted pretty much meets that definition to the tee, fortunately no rap from what I suffered through.

3. This style of music is the new big thing, there are probably 1,000+ bands out there that sound exactly the same. It's the new music that misguided youth buying into the mainstream version of being "hardcore" and edgy are into. Give it a couple years and it will dwindle down to pretty much where Nu Metal is at now, some of these turds have floated to the top and there will always be a large group of people unwilling to admit that it is bad, cookie cutter, unsophisticated music.
I'm not even a BTBAM fan, and you're completely wrong on whatever you're trying to categorize them as. They're so far from simplified song structures and a lack of innovation that you're making yourself look like a fool.

corpserot

Greg said:
I'm not even a BTBAM fan, and you're completely wrong on whatever you're trying to categorize them as. They're so far from simplified song structures and a lack of innovation that you're making yourself look like a fool.
Hey, I admit I didn't listen to much of their music before posting, but just listening to the first little bit of this song gave me that impression. Get a load of that intro.

What about the lyrics? Are they not teen angsty enough?

Sort of wish I didn't post anything, talking to people about how bad metalcore is is like talking to a Christian about religion. By the way, how was the latest Underoath? :/

Greg

corpserot said:
Hey, I admit I didn't listen to much of their music before posting, but just listening to the first little bit of this song gave me that impression. Get a load of that intro.

Sort of wish I didn't post anything, talking to people about how bad metalcore is is like talking to a Christian about religion. By the way, how was the latest Underoath? :/
Yeah, lyrical content really defines musical structure.

Life, what is life? Existence's not enough to wash away the filth you've inside!
Your pride will be replaced by frights, that drag you under waves of stormy sea of regret!
Fate, awful fate! Aghast by all the anger dominating every choice made!
You try to stay alive but you will fail, doomed to struggle to take back yourself!
Just took that from the current song I was listening to. What genre is that from? Sounds like some simplified, emo bullshit to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwYHFZtttsw

corpserot said:

Oh, you lol.

Don't feed the troll, folks.

fallout

My questions were not really an attempt to the feed the troll(s). I like BTBAM's stuff. Some people don't. I was just curious as to why and I wasn't familiar with the term "mallcore". And now I know!

corpserot

Eh, i'm done. Different strokes for different folks I suppose, I don't like metalcore and I do not feel like subjecting myself to music I do not like in order to argue about why it's bad.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Verano said:
Can't wait for this. They are amazing band and on constant rotation on my commute to work every day :)

Thanks for the drinking song recommendations. I checked out and thoroughly enjoyed all of them

Also I apologize for my ignorance about BTBAM. I checked out the streaming of their new EP, and holy shit it was awesome. I've heard Colors is their best album, so I guess I'll start there

And also, I had never heard of Septic Flesh before seeing you blokes post about them on this page. I checked out all of their most recent album on youtube, and holy shit, it was amazing. I'm now very excited for their upcoming release.

Three more weeks until Accept. It's been so long since they've toured I don't really know what to expect. This could either be great or horrible.

rexor0717

daxter01 said:
Surtur rising is kind of disappionting :(
I recently started to get really into "With Oden on Our Side" so I just bought "Sartur Rising" hoping is would be great. It might take some time for me to get into it, but I'm not loving it so far. Its alright.

Ceres

Banned
BobTheFork said:
Three more weeks until Accept. It's been so long since they've toured I don't really know what to expect. This could either be great or horrible.

They've been regularly touring since May of last year. And from what the people that went to the Progpower USA preshow in Sept said, they were awesome.

rObit

Banned
Goin' to see ABR at El Corazon in a week. Can't wait to hear them play some new material :D

Yup, I'm that mainstream metalcore guy, don't give a fuck.

Maddog

Saw Protest the Hero about a week ago in a ridiculously small venue. I was at the very front (no security meant I was literally touching Rody) but only managed to snap this picture with my phone due to how intense it was once they started playing.

PTH.jpg

They were really good live. Definitely make an effort to see them if you can.

Maddog said:
:O

Leave it to wikipedia to once again know everything, ever

Also this had me cracking the fuck up:
"Manowar caused a blackout in Cleveland, Ohio while performing a sound-check on March 11. A whole city block lost electricity and wasn't back in service for another 24 hours. Manowar had backup generators so the show was able to continue"

EDIT: Wow, some good shit coming up. New Rhapsody, Alestorm, Devin Townsend, Primordial, Pagan's Mind, and Tyr.

Also how the hell did I miss the fact that Vintersorg dropped a new album last week?

Zero Hero

The new BTBAM and PTH have killed so far this year.

The Hypersleep Dialogs continues the band's ever expanding amusement park of musical roller coasters. They leave you exhilarated, satisfied, and wanting to do it again.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Verano said:
Septicflesh_The_Great_Mass1.jpg

When does this come out? I need it now. Please, please, please be as good as Communion.

This plus new Devin Townsend, Blackfield and Steven Wilson albums makes this the best year for music in a long fucking time.

EDIT: Nevermind, I've preordered the vinyl (inc. a digital copy of the album, perfect for my wife) from Amazon.uk. They now do free shipping to Australia. Fucking awesome.

NoRéN

Hello everyone. Don't think I've ever really posted in here but seems like the right thread to ask.
Lately I've been listening to Therion alot. So, i was wondering if anyone could recommend some stuff that is similar to Therion?
Now, I wouldn't consider myself a fan exactly, I just really like certain songs. I have the Live albums and the songs that have really satisfied my craving as of late are stuff like:
The Wild Hunt
Wine of Aluqah
Blood of Kingu

So, any recommendations, either similar Therion songs or other bands, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Doomsayer

bounchfx said:
on an unrelated note, After 5 listens I'm actually REALLY digging the new PTH album. wasn't really sure about it at first. I think I like it as much as Fortress now, even though it has a completely different 'vibe'.

Damn, it took me a while to get into Scurrilous too. I think its because Fortress was so damn good.

I don't like that Rody took over the lyric writing for Arif. Rody's lyrics are way too simple in comparison.

Between the Buried and Me needs to go back to making music in the vein of "The Silent Circus." I don't dig the new progressive rock type of music they make.

Verano

NoRéN said:
So, any recommendations, either similar Therion songs or other bands, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

S E P T I C F L E S H

Ilúvatar

Zero Hero said:
The new BTBAM and PTH have killed so far this year.

The Hypersleep Dialogs continues the band's ever expanding amusement park of musical roller coasters. They leave you exhilarated, satisfied, and wanting to do it again.

Can't wait to get my hands on Hypersleep Dialogues, damn you bandwidth limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom