• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bounchfx

I'm incredibly disappointed that no one has recommended Disillusion's "Back to times of Splendor" to the guy asking for more prog/fantasy metal yet. That album is fucking ace.

Shame on all of you.

NGAMER9

Internet Celebrity said:
Already bought Crack The Skye, but you've semi-convinced me to get Remission and listen to it first.

I've not really listened to much of the 'crushier' metal stuff yet. Only Metallica's older stuff and a bit of this. Though I have heard Slickleg and Blood & Thunder, both of which I really like.
Remission is a great album, but probably not a good starting point. Blood Mountain would probably be nice since it's a good blend, but Crack the Skye is fine too, it's personally my favorite album of theirs. If you have no problem with more proggy sounding stuff you should be fine.

Internet Celebrity said:
Is Crack The Skye a good first album for getting into Mastodon? I've heard it's a lot more progressive than their others, and therefore perhaps less accessible.

/metal newbie
Crack the Skye is an absolute masterpiece. Leviathan is also awesome, though a lot different.

As much as I love those two albums, I still haven't been able to get into Blood Mountain

But yeah, definitely cannot go wrong starting with CtS. One of the best albums to come out of the last decade

Fuck, I just went and bought Remission. Meh, I was looking for some harder stuff to get into anyway. :)

Side note: Blood and Thunder must be one of the most badass songs ever written.

Ceres

Banned
I know a bunch of you were talking about the Symphony X/Nevermore concert a few pages back.

There's no confirmation but it looks like Nevermore is no longer on the bill.

Ceres said:
I know a bunch of you were talking about the Symphony X/Nevermore concert a few pages back.

There's no confirmation but it looks like Nevermore is no longer on the bill.

Bizarre. First Soilwork now Nevemore jump ship. Wonder what the deal is.

I saw COB, Ensiferum, Amon Amarth and Machinae Supremacy last week. Fucking amazing gig. I also got a rather blurry picture taken with none other than Petri Lindroos, the current frontman for Ensiferum, ex-Norther. I have a few pics from the gig too, should I post them here?

jay

sazabirules said:
If anyone is interested, Ihsahn is playing at ProgPower USA to replace Arcturus who canceled their appearance.

They did? I was thinking of going to that to see them.

Lime

If anyone never has seen Neurosis live they should do so. It is very rare for them to tour and when you see them, it's probably the most dedicated and amazing concert experiences you will witness.

Neurosis US and EU tour dates:

May 27-29, 2011 - NEUROSIS will be making a live appearance headlining one night of Maryland Deathfest 2011 @ Sonar in Baltimore! More details to follow. For more info, see the MDF website: http://www.marylanddeathfest.com/.

EU
FRI 15.07.2011 - Dour, BE - Dour Festival - www.dourfestival.be
SAT 16.07.2011 - Selestat, FR - LEZ'ARTS SCENIQUES Festival - www.lezartssceniques.com
SUN 17.07.2011 - Hamburg, GER - Grünspan - www.gruenspan.de
MON 18.07.2011 - Leipzig, GER - Conne Island - www.conne-island.de
TUE 19.07.2011 - Wien, AT - Arena - arena.co.at
WED 20.07.2011 - Turin, IE - Spaziale Festival - www.myspace.com/spazialefestival
THU 21.07.2011 - Barcelona, ES - Apollo - www.sala-apolo.com
FRI 22.07.2011 - Madrid, ES - Rock Kitchen
SAT 23.07.2011 - Paris, FR - Cabaret Sauvage - www.cabaretsauvage.com
SUN 24.07.2011 - London, UK - High Voltage Festival - www.highvoltagefestival.com
MON 25.07.2011 - Dublin, IE - tba
WED 27.07.2011 - Dortmund, GER - FZW - www.fzw.de
THU 28.07.2011 - Bern, CH - Reitschule - www.reitschule.ch
FRI 29.07.2011 - Eindhoven, NL - Effenaar - www.effenaar.nl
SAT 30.07.2011 - Stuttgart, GER - LKA - www.lka-longhorn.de

blahness

Lime said:
If anyone never has seen Neurosis live they should do so. It is very rare for them to tour and when you see them, it's probably the most dedicated and amazing concert experiences you will witness.

Neurosis US and EU tour dates:

May 27-29, 2011 - NEUROSIS will be making a live appearance headlining one night of Maryland Deathfest 2011 @ Sonar in Baltimore! More details to follow. For more info, see the MDF website: http://www.marylanddeathfest.com/.

I have had my ticket for a few months and cannot wait for the 28th!

Chibrou

bounchfx said:
I'm incredibly disappointed that no one has recommended Disillusion's "Back to times of Splendor" to the guy asking for more prog/fantasy metal yet. That album is fucking ace.

Shame on all of you.
I agree so much that i'm going to explode.

Ceres

Banned
jay said:
They did? I was thinking of going to that to see them.

Yep. From the PP forum.

Arcturus have issued the following statement regarding their cancellation:

“Arcturus still suffer from hibernation sickness, and due to outdated parts we deeply regret to inform you: We are canceling Progpower USA. This lack of maintenance is entirely our own fault, and sincere apologies go out to the promoter and all ticket holders, especially those of you who had planned to travel far..”

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Chibrou said:
I agree so much that i'm going to explode.

The song Back to Times of Splendor is my favorite off the album. It is too bad Gloria wasn't as good. I'm hoping they'll eventually release a third album.

Zeke

Verano said:
Now that we're in April the apocalypse will be upon us:
Septicflesh_The_Great_Mass1.jpg

septicflesh-the-great-mass.jpg

2011's AOTY already. and still Day 1 for me! :D
welp time to hit youtube for some septic goodness. So close to release yet so far ;(

ShaneB

2011 has already been an incredible year in my opinion for new releases. New releases that I was waiting so long for, and new surprise releases from new bands, or bands I love that I had no idea had a new album coming out!

I guess first the first quarter of the year, my favourite album so far has to go to Jag Panzer - The Scourge of the Light. Just because I waited 7 years from an album from one of my favorite bands.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Mr. Paer said:
This was actually posted in this thread a while back, but I wholly support it being brought up again. Awesome site that can teach you everything you need to know about the depth of the genre

Well, I learned there that War Pigs was written by Black Sabbath, not Faith No More.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Insane Metal said:
Yep, Septicflesh's new album is on youtube already. Prepare your bodies:

http://youtu.be/9jraTSklbdI

I...I..Love you..

The album has leaked online but Im NOT gonna download it. Im too metal for that. Gonna get it when it comes it out. S E P T I C F L E S H deserves my moneyz. All of it.

Flynn

Verano said:
I...I..Love you..

The album has leaked online but Im NOT gonna download it. Im too metal for that. Gonna get it when it comes it out. S E P T I C F L E S H deserves my moneyz. All of it.

Paying for music you love IS metal.

Verano

Flynn said:
Paying for music you love IS metal.

I should rephrase it to "it's not metal downloading illegally". Is it that expensive for someone not to spare about a buck for a song that they like?? (Not getting into this argument right now)

But damn so far Im enjoying this album more than Communion. Really haunting and threatening as heard from Mad Architect. And I still stand that this is AOTY 2011. Find me a better band that tops this shit and Im sure you won't find any band close to Septicflesh!!!
:D

Flynn

Verano said:
I should rephrase it to "it's not metal downloading illegally". Is it that expensive for someone not to spare about a buck for a song that they like?? (Not getting into this argument right now)

I'm totally with you. I think lots of people would say that there's a germ of loyalty and mutual respect at the heart of most metal fandom.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
While I'm at it - guys, can you recommend some bands who sell their songs in lossless format? Or some shop that does it.

Alivor

Just got back from seeing Between the Buried And Me, The Ocean, and Job for a Cowboy. I've never heard of the Ocean, but they're seriously awesome. I hate Job, but they were great live. Maybe I'll give them a chance. BTBAM was incredible. Great show, except for when I took an elbow to the jaw and got knocked out.

Verano

It's fuckin out motherfuckers!!!

20rlbp1.jpg

Download now via Amazon, Itunes, etc.

*Jizzed in my pants*

Apocalypse is one hell of a song. fuckin love it!!!

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Incredible stuff from Septic Flesh. They should do live event with large orchestra and choir. Now that would be something worth dying for.

ACE 1991

Saw BTBAM with Job for a Cowboy, the Contortionist, and The Ocean last night. Great show. However, I didn't get to appreciate a lot of BTBAM's set (they opened by playing through Hypersleep Dialogues in its entirety) because of all the dick-bags pushing a shoving to get in the front. I sweat to god I can't wait to turn 21 and be able to hang back and not have to deal with immature assholes who aren't there to listen and enjoy great music.

Alivor

ACE 1991 said:
Saw BTBAM with Job for a Cowboy, the Contortionist, and The Ocean last night. Great show. However, I didn't get to appreciate a lot of BTBAM's set (they opened by playing through Hypersleep Dialogues in its entirety) because of all the dick-bags pushing a shoving to get in the front. I sweat to god I can't wait to turn 21 and be able to hang back and not have to deal with immature assholes who aren't there to listen and enjoy great music.
Pittsburgh?

Zozobra said:
Stream of the new Krallice album 'Diotima' in its entirety, enjoy!:

http://www.npr.org/2011/04/18/135382480/first-listen-krallice-diotima
Fuuuuck, can't wait to check this out

Also I am absolutely blown away by the new Septic Flesh album. I had never even heard of the band until a few weeks ago when they were mentioned in this thread. I picked up Communion and really enjoyed it, but The Great Mass is absolute metal brilliance. The riffs, drumming, the way the symphony compliments the guitars, the somewhat dreary atmosphere... it is all simply amazing.

Mad Architect is my favorite track and probably is the best song to sum up the feel of the entire album. So so good

ACE 1991

Alivor said:
Nope. I was at the show in Lancaster the night before. Saw they were going to Pittsburgh next though.

Cool, I would have seen it there (I live outside of Philly) but I go to school near Pittsburgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom