• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4Us

JonnyBrad said:
Would like some recommendations pls GAF.

These bands are in my current playlist:-

In Flames
Dark Tranquility
Scar Symmetry
Insomnium
Soilwork

Does anyone know of any new bands i should try in a similar vein?

Duskfall
Dark Age
Norther

Galvanise_ said:
Any fans here of the Amott brothers' side projects? (Spiritual Beggars, Armageddon). I hope we get a new album from each after the touring cycle for Khaos Legions is done.

Not really excited by what I've heard of Khaos Legions so far. I hope its a lot heavier than the two currently released songs.

I was really into the first Armageddon album. Although it was quite repetitive and extremely predictable, there were some great riffs and awesome solos on there. I couldn't get into the later Armageddon albums though :\

Never got into any Mike Amott stuff either besides his previous work before Arch Enemy. I gave up on Arch Enemy a long time ago, ughh.

Giant Robot said:
Never got into any Mike Amott stuff either besides his previous work before Arch Enemy. I gave up on Arch Enemy a long time ago, ughh.

Spiritual Beggars is a stoner metal band (clean vocals). If I had to suggest an album, it would be 'Demons'. Has the bassist from Arch Enemy in too. There is a lot of variation on that album. Anthemic stuff, balls to the wall metal, melodic groove orientated songs etc. I'd actually argue that Michaels best work is with Spiritual Beggars.

Its actually one of the best paced albums I've ever listened to. I'd liken it to being at a metal concert. Hard and fast to get you into it, then a slower groove based song to get the crowd pulling together as one, then a bit more variation, then a big payoff at the end.

I was hoping that the Carcass reunion would 'heavy up' Arch Enemy a bit more. In recent years they've gotten a bit more mainstream focused. Since Anthems of Rebellion actually, its almost like they sat down and consciously wrote a couple of softer 'singles' per album.

I wish they'd write a lot more stuff like 'Silverwing', 'Bridge of Destiny' etc.

I'm looking forward to whatever Loomis does next after the Nevermore break up. Really liked his solo album.

nicerdicer said:
Check out Intestine Baalism, one of the best and most underrated melo-death bands around. This album in particular: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3107GXS3Zbs

they really are a great underrated band. I prefer their first album An Anatomy of the Beast. A Banquet In Darkness is probably their more weaker albums trying to cash in on the whole Gothenburg sound at the time. Ultimate Instinct went back to the heavier/less gothenburg filled harmonies.

They really do have an old school sound with a blend of Dismember/Iron Maiden/Sinister/Suffocation.

highly recommended death metal from Japan.

Intestine Baalism - Anatomy of the Beast

Galvanise_ said:
I wish they'd write a lot more stuff like 'Silverwing', 'Bridge of Destiny' etc.

yea i wish they went back to steal more Randy Rhoads/King Diamond riffs. That era was their high point imo. It's like they will write totally awesome riffs and the next moment the riffs sounds like a fucking sitcom.

Gaspode_T

Protest the Hero are awesome live! I loved that when they were the opener AFTER Between the Buried and Me the lead singer said something like "Those guys are a million times more talented and experienced than us and better groomed as well, we have no right to play after them" -> very humble and respectful!

Strictly in the In Flames/Soilwork vein ->

Callenish Circle - The aren't together anymore but they put together a few solid records while they were. Sound a lot like In Flames, very fast, I like them a lot.

Engel - Threnody - These guys played at Loud Park 2010 so I might as well plug them, they're pretty good and this CD is more well produced than their others, with a little bit of techno/industrial tinge.

Disarmonia Mundi - Features the singer of Soilwork, if you like Soilwork you will like these CDs

Melodic death metal history:

At the Gates
Carcass

A little bit harder:

Old Man's Child
Misery Index (see Traitors)
After the Burial
Meshuggah
Gojira

If you've never listened to it - Machine Head's The Blackening will likely go down as one of the best CDs of the 2000s, if not the best.

JonnyBrad

jay said:
In addition to what others recommended:

Amorphis
Children of Bodom
Hypocrisy
Edge of Sanity
Dissection

Wow Hypocrisy are awesome thanks for that. I have kind of had it with Bodom nowadays just not my thing anymore.

choodi

Banned
Mr. Paer said:
Hell yes. So intense and unlike anything I've ever heard before

So The Great Mass and Communion are excellent... any other albums in their discography worth checking out? Are they one of those bands that are always consistent, or did they just recently come into their own?

Septic Flesh are one of those bands that have been consistently excellent.

In fact, I think that their first four albums are by far their best work. Communion and Sumerian Daemons have been good, but nowhere near as ground breaking as their first four.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Galvanise_ said:
The whole world wonders with you. Its like Alexi got bored of the melodic technical stuff and decided to fuck around with a lot more generic riffs.

Correction:

Alexi sold out to make more money.

Enosh

Gaspode_T said:
Callenish Circle - The aren't together anymore but they put together a few solid records while they were. Sound a lot like In Flames, very fast, I like them a lot.
I love Callenish Circle, a very underrated band imo

especialy the my passion / your pain album
but maybe it's just my nostalgic googles since it is one of the very first metal albums I ever listened to ^^

will52 said:
Not sure if troll.

Umm, no. Like I said its a stretch. He mentioned soilwork and in flames, and there are some songs by them that sounds a little like trivium(especially some of the songs on soilworks "the panic broadcast"). So yeah, no troll, but like I said, it is a stretch.

Gaspode_T said:
Protest the Hero are awesome live! I loved that when they were the opener AFTER Between the Buried and Me the lead singer said something like "Those guys are a million times more talented and experienced than us and better groomed as well, we have no right to play after them" -> very humble and respectful!

They were definitely awesome live. Extremely down to earth and approachable. The sound was great, and the band was spot on. Everyone just looked like they were having an absolute blast, including the crowd. Rody was killing it on vocals, although he botched the opening to Turn Soonest (he started No Stars, before realizing it and switching to the right track). He actually made a joke about it right after the song. I shook hands and talked to Rody right after the set for a minute. Like I said, very cool guy, and overall, a great night. I can't wait until the next time they roll around to Florida, although I fear that may be a while.

Oh hell yeah, it's finally time for Accept! I'm going to take off in about an hour and I can't wait.
I'm kind of bummed only because after hearing about the last 3 shows they did in Canada and how loud and badass they supposedly were, I'm convinced that Denver isn't going to bring it. I don't know, most of the metal shows I've seen in the last year have been pretty well attended but this isn't a big metal city IMO and even the big shows never sell out.
It's going to be great regardless, but this is fucking huge for me (I cut my teeth on Budgie, Accept and Sabbath) and I just want a huge loud crowd to show up for this. I loved 'Blood of the Nations' so it's one time I won't care that they play 'the new album'. Hell, if I could meet a women there it would be the best day ever, but concerts are the worst place imaginable to meet people.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH FUCK! My ears are ringing so hard I can't even hear people bitching about the PSN. HOly shit that was an amazing show. I can't believe I thought it might not be good. I had never seen Sabaton before but I'm going to grab at least a few of their albums. They seem to have a bunch of specifically WW2 themed metal, I like it!
Accept played for 2 hours and did 4 songs in the encore. They sounded great and it was insanely loud. Wolf can still play like a madman and Baltes burn through ~ 20 picks lol. The Bluebird is kind of a shitty place for a concert because of the floor layout but it was totally packed. Balls to the Wall!!!!

jay said:
Anyone want to point me in the direction of some black/folk/avante garde metal? I just got into Agalloch and Arcturus, and like the Empyrium album I bought.

Since no one answered you (and better late than never):

Drudkh
Walknut
Negură Bunget
Darkspace
Primordial
Nokturnal Mortum (Weltanschauung / Voice of Steel)
Winterfylleth
Wolves in the Throne Room
Velvet Cacoon
Ulver (first 3 albums)
Woods of Desolation
Borknagar (similar to Arcturus)

NoRéN

JonnyBrad said:
Would like some recommendations pls GAF.

These bands are in my current playlist:-

In Flames
Dark Tranquility
Scar Symmetry
Insomnium
Soilwork

Does anyone know of any new bands i should try in a similar vein?
Those right there are some of my all time favorites. Going off of that, may I recommend Amorphis. If Inflames and Soilwork are any indication, I would assume you don't mind clean vocals every now and then. So, for Amorphis I would recommend Tounela and Am Universum. Far from the Sun is decent. All albums after that have a new singer and they went back to their growling metal vocal roots.

So another album of the year contender has been released! Primordial - Redemption at the Puritan's Hand. Following the footsteps of the great The Gathering Wilderness and To the Nameless Dead , Primordial released another great Folk/Black metal album.
11b3k9g.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZPvfXdRZAE

April's been pretty good. Septic Flesh and now Primordial.

I know there is a separate thread for this, but I figured it deserved a mention here as well since I know there are a lot of Dream Theater fans around these parts. They did a documentary for their search for a new drummer and it's awesome

Here's the thread

Also damn, I had no idea a new Primordial album was out. I still can't get over how great the new Septic Flesh album is, so if Primordial can keep consistent with how they've been in the past then this is indeed a fantastic month for metal

jay

JonnyBrad said:
Wow Hypocrisy are awesome thanks for that. I have kind of had it with Bodom nowadays just not my thing anymore.

As other people mentioned, CoB made two great albums, a good one and a bunch of shit. I haven't actually paid much attention to Hypocrisy in a long time, but I hope you found The Final Chapter and Abducted because they're excellent.

CharliePants said:
Since no one answered you (and better late than never):

Drudkh
Walknut
Negură Bunget
Darkspace
Primordial
Nokturnal Mortum (Weltanschauung / Voice of Steel)
Winterfylleth
Wolves in the Throne Room
Velvet Cacoon
Ulver (first 3 albums)
Woods of Desolation
Borknagar (similar to Arcturus)

Thanks, I'll check these out. I couldn't get into Ulver's early stuff - though I have and like a lot of the acoustic album - because blast beats usually sound bad to me. Same with Borknagar's first album, though I really like the Archaic Course (doesn't hurt that I like Vortex a lot). If I like that album, are any of Borknagar's others stuff I'd enjoy?

And thanks for the reply and hopefully future replies.

jay said:
Thanks, I'll check these out. I couldn't get into Ulver's early stuff - though I have and like a lot of the acoustic album - because blast beats usually sound bad to me. Same with Borknagar's first album, though I really like the Archaic Course (doesn't hurt that I like Vortex a lot). If I like that album, are any of Borknagar's others stuff I'd enjoy?

And thanks for the reply and hopefully future replies.

Of his list, I really recommend Negură Bunget (albums Om & 'N Crugu Bradului), Primordial (The Gathering Wilderness & To the Nameless Dead) and Nokturnal Mortum - The Voice of Steel. Not sure if you'll like Darkspace if you don't like blastbeats, certainly dont expect something like Agalloch. Great band though

If you want more:
folky black:
Fen
Rakoth - Planeshift

non-folk atmospheric black:
Lunar Aurora
Coldworld

oracrest

I'm super stoked to be able to see Kylesa and Baroness in Austin. I have seen Kylesa before, but really before I got into them, so it wasn't anything special. I have never seen Baroness, and they are top of the list of bands I want to see but haven't.

jay

OmegaDragon said:
Of his list, I really recommend Negură Bunget (albums Om & 'N Crugu Bradului), Primordial (The Gathering Wilderness & To the Nameless Dead) and Nokturnal Mortum - The Voice of Steel. Not sure if you'll like Darkspace if you don't like blastbeats, certainly dont expect something like Agalloch. Great band though

If you want more:
folky black:
Fen
Rakoth - Planeshift

non-folk atmospheric black:
Lunar Aurora
Coldworld

Would you describe any of these bands as melodic or even, dare I say, pretty?

ShaneB

Going to see Powerglove and Symphony X shortly. Should be a kick ass show, would've been better with the original lineup, but ah well.

Prodigal

Banned
Anyone here familiar with the band Nails?

It's a mix of grind/old school hardcore. Just found out about 'em a few days ago but their latest album is blowing me away.

frogg609

I'm just curious if anyone bought the limited version of Septic Flesh's The Great Mass with the art book? I was curious how that book is, and if the artwork/contents of the disc are much different from the regular version.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Prodigal said:

It's a mix of grind/old school hardcore. Just found out about 'em a few days ago but their latest album is blowing me away.
Yeah... I was surprised when I found out the singer/guitarist was in Terror (not a good thing), but this stuff really isn't in the same vein. I just love the production on this record — sounds like a fucking anvil that is also a huge razor blade or something. Just so visceral.

nicerdicer

Neo Member
Yeah... I was surprised when I found out the singer/guitarist was in Terror (not a good thing), but this stuff really isn't in the same vein. I just love the production on this record — sounds like a fucking anvil that is also a huge razor blade or something. Just so visceral.

Yeah that sound is characteristic of Kurt Ballou's production. And Nails are great.

jay said:
Same with Borknagar's first album, though I really like the Archaic Course (doesn't hurt that I like Vortex a lot). If I like that album, are any of Borknagar's others stuff I'd enjoy?

Give The Olden Domain a go - Garm on vocals rather than Vortex and it's a little more black metal influenced but you should still like it.

jay said:
Would you describe any of these bands as melodic or even, dare I say, pretty?

Lunar Aurora and (especially) Coldworld are very melodic.
Some of the synth in Coldworld could definitely be described as pretty.

Been loving Summoning recently - used to listen to them years ago before I really liked black metal and didn't think much of them but holy shit, Stronghold and Let Mortal Heroes... are fantastic.

Flynn

Prodigal said:

From what I've heard they absolutely killed the couple of times they played in LA.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
nicerdicer said:
Yeah that sound is characteristic of Kurt Ballou's production. And Nails are great.
I probably own a large percentage of the records that Ballou has produced, but if I had to pick one, I'd say the Nails record has my favorite sound. I also love the production on that Black Breath record he did recently.

njean777

animlboogy said:
Man, there's so much cross-pollination between punk and metal... the line is one of those, "I don't know where it is but I know it when I see it" things. Like, I'm not going to post about Bad Brains, but I know people here would be more into Nails than the people trying to have a serious discussion about their favorite ska bands in the other thread.

Problem is many metal fans really dont like metalcore, deathcore, hardcore, post-hardcore. So I was just asking before I post anything in this thread lol.

animlboogy said:
Exactly what I needed to listen to just now. Thanks for the tip. I haven't enjoyed a DSBM band this much since Nyktalgia.

This was indeed a really good song, though a bit too up-beat at times, for my DSBM-tastes.

Recently I think Ars Diavoli, Pyha and Sui Caedere have been my fave DSBM-bands. Anyone got any recommendations along those lines?

oracrest

Going to see Danzig this friday, with Devil Driver opening! I'm unfamiliar with Devil Driver, other than one song a friend played for me, but it sounded pretty brutal.

Sleepy

Prodigal said:

I've read about them in Decibel but never listened to them. Not my thing: Too much hardcore, not enough grind. They sound like a better produced Benumb.

anyone else seen bodom live on the ugly world tour?
the first two bands were pretty meh
never heard of machinae supremacy, they sounded very talented but the shoddy songwriting didn't do them any favors
one of the guitarists had a gears of war cap, that was kinda cool too

ensiferum - one of my fave bands - was just plain horrible
i found myself glad that no-one was shouting for encore, so i didn't have to hear an additional 2-3 songs mutilated
also, why do some metal bands insist on not wearing shirts even if they are skinny/fat?
going shirtless with facepaint, trying to look like hardcore vikings or something but failing horribly, all while sounding like total shit
i felt kinda embarrassed for them, tbh

luckily, bodom were fucking awesome

total score: C+, would go again

Right ladies and gents, I'm looking to get into some new bands.

Here is what my requirements are:

• Must be European.
  • I'm not fussed about the language, I can listen to anything, dirty or clean vocals.
  • I'm not a massive fan of Black Metal.
  • I don't mind it having a symphonic edge.
  • I do like a melodic aspect (guitars), but its not essential. I just as much like an Industrial Edge.

I like Arch Enemy, pre- 'Soundtrack to Your Escape' In Flames, Rammstein, Within Temptation, Blind Guardian, Ayreon, Epica, Opeth (Actually, I love Opeth), Scar Symmetry, Carcass, Eluveitie, Dark Tranquillity, At The Gates, pre-'Hate Crew Death Roll' Children of Bodom etc. So quite a broad range of sounds.

I'm also a big prog fan, so if the band mixes up time signatures and puts out some epic stuff, even better.

It would be handy if you guys, if you do recommend anything, recommend any specific albums that you think would push my buttons.

Cheers!

ianp622

Galvanise_ said:
Right ladies and gents, I'm looking to get into some new bands.

Here is what my requirements are:

• Must be European.
  • I'm not fussed about the language, I can listen to anything, dirty or clean vocals.
  • I'm not a massive fan of Black Metal.
  • I don't mind it having a symphonic edge.
  • I do like a melodic aspect (guitars), but its not essential. I just as much like an Industrial Edge.

I like Arch Enemy, pre- 'Soundtrack to Your Escape' In Flames, Rammstein, Within Temptation, Blind Guardian, Ayreon, Epica, Opeth (Actually, I love Opeth), Scar Symmetry, Carcass, Eluveitie, Dark Tranquillity, At The Gates, pre-'Hate Crew Death Roll' Children of Bodom etc. So quite a broad range of sounds.

I'm also a big prog fan, so if the band mixes up time signatures and puts out some epic stuff, even better.

It would be handy if you guys, if you do recommend anything, recommend any specific albums that you think would push my buttons.

Cheers!
Wintersun, Insomnium, Kalmah. Septicflesh maybe.

Anybody know of bands that use music played backwards often? I really love the sound, but it seems like even experimental bands I hear don't use it often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom