• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw man I've been listening to Septicflesh every single day since it came out. Damn, that must be one of the best albums I've ever listened to.

Insane Metal said:
Aw man I've been listening to Septicflesh every single day since it came out. Damn, that must be one of the best albums I've ever listened to.
Hell yes. So intense and unlike anything I've ever heard before

So The Great Mass and Communion are excellent... any other albums in their discography worth checking out? Are they one of those bands that are always consistent, or did they just recently come into their own?

Mr. Paer said:
Hell yes. So intense and unlike anything I've ever heard before

So The Great Mass and Communion are excellent... any other albums in their discography worth checking out? Are they one of those bands that are always consistent, or did they just recently come into their own?

Definitely give Sumerian Daemons a listen, I prefer it over Communion. I don't know about the rest, but I've heard not everything is as good. Guess I'll have to listen to The Great Mass.

OmegaDragon said:
Definitely give Sumerian Daemons a listen, I prefer it over Communion. I don't know about the rest, but I've heard not everything is as good. Guess I'll have to listen to The Great Mass.
Thanks for the heads up, I know only Communion (and The Great Mass :p), will get Sumerian Daemons too.

Enosh

TheLastCandle said:
Big news just announced: Jeff Loomis and Van Williams have left Nevermore.

And that is all she wrote for these guys probably.
holy shit

well this fucking sucks -.-

TheLastCandle said:

Fuck. FUCK.

One of my favourite bands gone in the blink of an eye. Bad day.

TheLastCandle said:

Oh shit, that was unexpected, no wonder they bailed out of the Symphony X tour :(

Sleepy

I posted this is the what are you listening to thread, but I figured it belongs here, as welll: Anyone listening to the new Gridlink's Orphan? It grindcore, and Jon Chang's newest

GRIDLINK-Orphan.jpg

I cannot say enough good things about it. I know it's difficult to top Discordance Axis, but this is right there, man-- right fucking there!

Fxp said:
Listening to Infectious Grooves. Can't believe I've missed their albums!

Wow, that's a blast from the past. I saw them on tour with Suicidal Tendencies; great fun.

Ceres

Banned
Mr. Paer said:
Whaaat? Goddammit :mad: Did they give a reason?

Sounds like their relationship went sour.

http://www.msanthrope.com/blog/?p=1242

Jeff Loomis and Van Williams of Nevermore Announce Their Departure

Jeff Loomis and Van Williams of Nevermore Announce Their Departure

Nevermore guitar player Jeff Loomis and drummer Van Williams have announced their departure from the group. The two have released a joint statement:

“In a mutual decision Jeff Loomis and Van Williams have decided to leave Nevermore. The time has come to pursue our own paths from the group. Due to internal struggles and ongoing issues within the band, we feel it is our time to move on. We would like to thank all of our fans around the world for their years of love, support and enthusiasm. This was not an easy decision but a very necessary one at this point, may we all meet again someday, somewhere in time.”

Loomis and Williams had been with Nevermore since the band’s first album, 1995’s self titled, Nevermore.

NEVERMORE recently announced that they would be cancelling their planned tour with Symphony X. No information regarding additional confirmed tour dates is known at this time.

Stay tuned for more information regarding NEVERMORE.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/nevermore/680209-get-ready.html
(Warrel posts as Sentient 6)
you won't be happy and I sure as hell am not
yeah maybe whatever.. all I know is not dealing with egomaniacs will be refreshing

jmdajr

Last album I had was enemies of reality. Don't remember liking it too much. I was a huge fan of Dreaming Neon Black and Dead Heart in a Dead World though.

edir: Nevermind..I did get the Godless Endeavor. I still think I like those other two albums more.

Enosh

jmdajr said:
Last album I had was enemies of reality. Don't remember liking it too much. I was a huge fan of Dreaming Neon Black and Dead Heart in a Dead World though.
remixed version or the original one?

beacose they realy fucked up the mixing on the first issue of the album, shit was basicly unlistenable, I have no idea how this went onto store shelves in a state like it was, like no one ever listened to it before aproving it for sale

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Help Me! said:
I posted this is the what are you listening to thread, but I figured it belongs here, as welll: Anyone listening to the new Gridlink's Orphan? It grindcore, and Jon Chang's newest

http://reigninart.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/GRIDLINK-Orphan.jpg

I cannot say enough good things about it. I know it's difficult to top Discordance Axis, but this is right there, man-- right fucking there!
Yeah, it's pretty fucking awesome. Was really looking forward to it and it did not disappoint. Definitely approaches DA levels of greatness. I especially love that Chang brought back the death growls for it.

Sleepy

vatstep said:
I especially love that Chang brought back the death growls for it.

Absolutely. I adore Hayaino Daisuki, but I do miss the death growls in that band. Although, I guess they wouldn't really work in that context...

So glad someone else here is listening to this!

for some reason i didn't get my copy of the new Gridlink album.

I have the first one and its so fucking great, but only 10 minutes long! It's the closest thing we'll get to Discordance Axis though and those super angular riffs.

Still can't get into Hayaino Daisuki. Riffs are awesome, drumming kills it.

Sleepy

Giant Robot said:
for some reason i didn't get my copy of the new Gridlink album.

I have the first one and its so fucking great, but only 10 minutes long! It's the closest thing we'll get to Discordance Axis though and those super angular riffs.

Still can't get into Hayaino Daisuki. Riffs are awesome, drumming kills it.

The new one is only 12 minutes long. lol

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Insane Metal said:

Likewise. IMO, "Apocalypse" encompasses The Great Mass album overall. So epic!! I dig Mad Architect too. It builds up nice then the strings intersect around the 2nd minute..soo good...but it ends quite abruptly..well to me. I like every track. They each have their own mood/feel.

And yes, Sumerian Demons should be your next Septicflesh for you to own. Much more darker, haunting orchestration/opera, and has some industrial noise in several tracks.
Hear the following Sumerian Demon tracks on youtube:
Faust
The Watchers
Sumerian daemon

Nobody is talking about KK Downing leaving Judas Priest? This news was quite shocking to me! Or is there an official thread? It's sad because I'm going to see them this year! It won't be the same...but I still expect one hell of a show.

Ceres

Banned
Lots of people leaving.

Roy Khan officially said he's left Kamelot for good.

http://www.myspace.com/roykhanofficial/blog/542719606

So long!

Dear fans & friends,

There have been a lot of speculations around why I am not touring with Kamelot and I want to make a statement although it may not prevent further guessing as to what's actually going on. It is a fact however that I told the guys in the band already last fall (well after my burnout) that I was leaving the band. Naturally enough they were shocked (as was the label and everyone else working with Kamelot). In addition to risk of dropping ticket sales they wanted to give me time to think things over, and so I did. My decision still stands; It is finished.

I am currently spending time with my family in Norway taking it easy and wondering profoundly what the future is going to bring. Communication with the outer world has been so and so, but I have had several talks with Thomas along the way although I am still called in sick. I am terribly sorry that my decision is affecting so many others and I want you to know I wish the band & associates all the best for the future and that I enjoyed every second in the spotlight. How could I not...they were nourished by the best fans in the world! I am eternally thankful for everything you and Kamelot have given me and equally sorry that it has to end here. The good news is; God was there after all...

Love you to death!!!

All the best & so long,
Roy Khan

yacobod

Banned
DieNgamers said:
Nobody is talking about KK Downing leaving Judas Priest? This news was quite shocking to me! Or is there an official thread? It's sad because I'm going to see them this year! It won't be the same...but I still expect one hell of a show.

ya kind of weird that he decided to just quit while on their farewell tour, wonder if there is something else going on behind the scenes

Good lord, this week has been pretty rough for metal stalwarts. Priest, Nevermore, and Kamelot all suffering crippling blows a few days apart.

I think Kamelot can still succeed without Khan, but it's gonna be tough. The dude's voice was so instantly recognizable. I'll be seeing them when they tour the states later in the year with Fabio Lione, who appears to be doing a great job from the videos I've seen.

JonnyBrad

Would like some recommendations pls GAF.

These bands are in my current playlist:-

In Flames
Dark Tranquility
Scar Symmetry
Insomnium
Soilwork

Does anyone know of any new bands i should try in a similar vein?

JonnyBrad said:

In Flames
Dark Tranquility
Scar Symmetry
Insomnium
Soilwork

Hmm, may be a stretch but give Trivium a try.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
JonnyBrad said:

In Flames
Dark Tranquility
Scar Symmetry
Insomnium
Soilwork

Check out

Arch Enemy
Be'lakor
Disarmonia Mundi
Eluveitie
Mercenary

Ceres

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
Good lord, this week has been pretty rough for metal stalwarts. Priest, Nevermore, and Kamelot all suffering crippling blows a few days apart.

I think Kamelot can still succeed without Khan, but it's gonna be tough. The dude's voice was so instantly recognizable. I'll be seeing them when they tour the states later in the year with Fabio Lione, who appears to be doing a great job from the videos I've seen.

Matt LaPorte the guitarist for John Oliva's Pain also passed away this week.
I don't know that a lot of people here listen to (or have heard of) JOP though.

JonnyBrad said:

In Flames
Dark Tranquility
Scar Symmetry
Insomnium
Soilwork

Amon Amarth
At The Gates
The Haunted

I'm not a HUGE Melodeath guy anymore, but I'd give them a shot.

Maddog

DieNgamers said:

Definitely really sad. Something big must have gone down for him to just leave before their final tour. And the fact that they already have a replacement is kind of weird also.

Quick question, I got Godless Endeavour when it first came out about, what, 6 years ago?

I take a quick look around and its expensive as fuck now! I see it at 194 bucks on amazon new and in the 50s for used on half.com. If I understand correctly, that album was a big hit for them, just wondering why it doesnt seem to be being printed anymore. I wish I would've known, I would've bought a ton of copies back when it came out.

Apologies if this is old news to you guys, but Leviathan (by Mastodon) is one of the most epic records I've ever listened to. I'm pretty new to this genre, coming off a lot of electronic/rock/indie stuff, but this album is the first to affect me in this way. Fucking awesome.

Internet Celebrity said:
Apologies if this is old news to you guys, but Leviathan (by Mastodon) is one of the most epic records I've ever listened to. I'm pretty new to this genre, coming off a lot of electronic/rock/indie stuff, but this album is the first to affect me in this way. Fucking awesome.
Leviathan is an excellent album. Their most recent, Crack the Skye, is even better (though is a lot more progressive and has a very different feel to it)

Hope you are able to find enough bands to hook you to the genre. If you ever want recommendations let us know!

And fuck, I never got to see Kamelot or Nevermore live. Bullshit :(

jay

JonnyBrad said:

In Flames
Dark Tranquility
Scar Symmetry
Insomnium
Soilwork

In addition to what others recommended:

Amorphis
Children of Bodom
Hypocrisy
Edge of Sanity
Dissection

Anyone want to point me in the direction of some black/folk/avante garde metal? I just got into Agalloch and Arcturus, and like the Empyrium album I bought.

ianp622

JonnyBrad said:

In Flames
Dark Tranquility
Scar Symmetry
Insomnium
Soilwork

Also -
Kalmah
Wintersun

Mr. Paer said:
Leviathan is an excellent album. Their most recent, Crack the Skye, is even better (though is a lot more progressive and has a very different feel to it)

Hope you are able to find enough bands to hook you to the genre. If you ever want recommendations let us know!

And fuck, I never got to see Kamelot or Nevermore live. Bullshit :(
Yeah, the only metal albums I have in my collection so far are Metallica's Ride The Lightning & Master of Puppets, and Mastodon's Leviathan & Crack The Skye. In any case, you've got me amped to listen to the latter now; if it's any better than Leviathan I might have an aneurysm.

Mileena

Banned
JonnyBrad said:

In Flames
Dark Tranquility
Scar Symmetry
Insomnium
Soilwork

every Kalmah album

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Insane Metal said:
It is masterpiece. Orchestral parts are amazing, Christos Antoniou is awesome composer.

Need to buy The Great Mass T-shirt, but i do not know if my credit card will go through on their label e-shop (i have Visa Electron).

Any fans here of the Amott brothers' side projects? (Spiritual Beggars, Armageddon). I hope we get a new album from each after the touring cycle for Khaos Legions is done.

Not really excited by what I've heard of Khaos Legions so far. I hope its a lot heavier than the two currently released songs.

kottila

Now that Kvelertak - S/T is finally released in US, has anyone bought it? Was named best metal album pf the month by about.com and has received loads of hype and great reviews from almost everywhere.

Genre: Norwegian black'n'roll
Blodtørst
Mjød

FUCK!

I just came to know about this band yesterday and I'm in love with this album:

Heavenwood-Abyss-Masterpiece.jpg

Heavenwood - Abyss Masterpiece

Great gothic Rock/metal with alternating clean and dirty vocals... amazing music.

will52 said:
This. Not too sure what happened after Follow the Reaper.

The whole world wonders with you. Its like Alexi got bored of the melodic technical stuff and decided to fuck around with a lot more generic riffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom