• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greg said:
Why European only?

Because I fear that the new Arch Enemy album is going to be average, and Opeths next release is a while away. I tend to prefer the European style so I wanted the void to be filled.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll give them a whirl.

Hellcrow

scar tissue said:
anyone else seen bodom live on the ugly world tour?
the first two bands were pretty meh
never heard of machinae supremacy, they sounded very talented but the shoddy songwriting didn't do them any favors
one of the guitarists had a gears of war cap, that was kinda cool too

ensiferum - one of my fave bands - was just plain horrible
i found myself glad that no-one was shouting for encore, so i didn't have to hear an additional 2-3 songs mutilated
also, why do some metal bands insist on not wearing shirts even if they are skinny/fat?
going shirtless with facepaint, trying to look like hardcore vikings or something but failing horribly, all while sounding like total shit
i felt kinda embarrassed for them, tbh

luckily, bodom were fucking awesome

total score: C+, would go again

Weird, ensiferum slayed when I saw them open up. Bodom was dissappointing, as they had a MUCH better setlist with the blooddrunk tour. (They played very few blooddrunk songs.)

Ceres

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
Right ladies and gents, I'm looking to get into some new bands.

I like Arch Enemy, pre- 'Soundtrack to Your Escape' In Flames, Rammstein, Within Temptation, Blind Guardian, Ayreon, Epica, Opeth (Actually, I love Opeth), Scar Symmetry, Carcass, Eluveitie, Dark Tranquillity, At The Gates, pre-'Hate Crew Death Roll' Children of Bodom etc. So quite a broad range of sounds.

I'm also a big prog fan, so if the band mixes up time signatures and puts out some epic stuff, even better.

It would be handy if you guys, if you do recommend anything, recommend any specific albums that you think would push my buttons.

Cheers!

Check out Delain if you like Within Temptation.
Star One and Guilt Machine are other Arjen projects (Ayreon being his main one).

Mix of growls/clean
Amorphis (not sure a good album recommendation - don't listen to them all that much)
Orphaned Land (any album)
Mercenary (11 Dreams)
Oceans of Sadness (the last album is great)
Raintime (first two albums)

Sorry, getting ready to go out so don't have time to double check albums.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Flynn said:
Anybody mad that Thrill Jockey is putting out a USBM record?

Or does nobody care? I kind of like what I've heard from Liturgy so far.
I don't care, but I do think it's a bit weird; they're definitely the poster child for "hipster black metal" (or whatever people are calling it). It seems like at this point, they're probably the most-hated USBM band going. I think this interview is part of the reason why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA_p2RLfpsk

I'm not a purist, and I think they're pretty good, but Hunter Hunt-Hendrix is definitely up his own ass a bit.

Willectro

Banned
Galvanise_ said:

Here is what my requirements are:

• Must be European.
  • I'm not fussed about the language, I can listen to anything, dirty or clean vocals.
  • I'm not a massive fan of Black Metal.
  • I don't mind it having a symphonic edge.
  • I do like a melodic aspect (guitars), but its not essential. I just as much like an Industrial Edge.

I like Arch Enemy, pre- 'Soundtrack to Your Escape' In Flames, Rammstein, Within Temptation, Blind Guardian, Ayreon, Epica, Opeth (Actually, I love Opeth), Scar Symmetry, Carcass, Eluveitie, Dark Tranquillity, At The Gates, pre-'Hate Crew Death Roll' Children of Bodom etc. So quite a broad range of sounds.

I'm also a big prog fan, so if the band mixes up time signatures and puts out some epic stuff, even better.

It would be handy if you guys, if you do recommend anything, recommend any specific albums that you think would push my buttons.

Cheers!

Dimmu Borgir? Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia is an amazing album.

Flynn

vatstep said:
I don't care, but I do think it's a bit weird; they're definitely the poster child for "hipster black metal" (or whatever people are calling it). It seems like at this point, they're probably the most-hated USBM band going. I think this interview is part of the reason why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA_p2RLfpsk

I'm not a purist, and I think they're pretty good, but Hunter Hunt-Hendrix is definitely up his own ass a bit.

Wow that interview is pretty funny. There's one bit where his two band mates both change the way they're sitting as if to say, "here he goes again."

I guess the double standard here is that if you hear the exact words translated from Norwegian people would take it more seriously.

Orayn

A friend and I saw Symphony X, Blackguard, and Powerglove live in St. Paul last Monday. Fantastic show by everyone, especially Symphony. It's amazing just how good they are live!

Hellcrow

Orayn said:
A friend and I saw Symphony X, Blackguard, and Powerglove live in St. Paul last Monday. Fantastic show by everyone, especially Symphony. It's amazing just how good they are live!

Remember them opening for Dream Theater. They barely filled the stage, the sound was horrible, but they had a killer setlist and a lot of energy. In the end, I had more fun during Symphony X that night!

ianp622

Giant Robot said:
I don't know exactly what you mean, but early Morbid Angel has alwasy been cited as "backwards riffing".

Morbid Angel - Chapel of Ghouls
Obligatory comic everytime Chapel of Ghouls is mentioned.
Z3paZ.png

Toddler said:
From Devin Townsend's upcoming Deconstruction. Ripped from a Finland radio station:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plgAq-523jQ
Paul Masvidal and Joe Duplantier now also confirmed as guest vocalists? Lineup just keeps getting better...

Time to also catch up on the new Septicflesh and Krallice releases

Orayn

Hellcrow said:
Remember them opening for Dream Theater. They barely filled the stage, the sound was horrible, but they had a killer setlist and a lot of energy. In the end, I had more fun during Symphony X that night!
Audio problems can really put a damper on any show. I saw Blind Guardian in 2006 at the same venue, and they were having major audio problems that totally killed the low end of the sound system. Luckily, Blind Guardian show have a HUGE emphasis on fans singing along, so we were able to fill out the sound to some degree.

Hellcrow

Gaspode_T said:
New In Flames single was revealed, sounds a little like a mix of their last 4 albums:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrUYZ5OH6lk

I like it...they are good guys even if some of their fans are raving lunatics about how they have changed

The lack of Jesper Strømblad is really apparent. I've already forgotten the main riff, and I'm currently listening to the song.

I'm not expecting something awesome as this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLPXAcAsLgo

but I would be more than happy if we got something like this again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMUuLuwmmBg

In short, more awesome riffs and soloes. That is what In Flames was good at.

Galvanise_ said:

Here is what my requirements are:

• Must be European.
  • I'm not fussed about the language, I can listen to anything, dirty or clean vocals.
  • I'm not a massive fan of Black Metal.
  • I don't mind it having a symphonic edge.
  • I do like a melodic aspect (guitars), but its not essential. I just as much like an Industrial Edge.

Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Omnium Gatherum

Katatonia
Anathema

Gojira
Sadist

ianp622 said:
No, I meant like regular music, just played backwards. It's usually used to make it sound really creepy, like here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGOJmdxdjeA#t=4m00s

It just seems like it would be an interesting addition to some songs. I know Opeth does it occasionally for the vocals only.

Only thing I can think of is First Prayer, where the chanting is backwards (I think)

Toddler

viewtifulsub said:
Paul Masvidal and Joe Duplantier now also confirmed as guest vocalists? Lineup just keeps getting better...

"Deconstruction" track listing:

01. Praise The Lowered (feat. Paul Kuhr of NOVEMBERS DOOM) (6:02)
02. Stand (Feat. Mikael Åkerfeldt) (9:36)
03. Juular (feat. Ihsahn) (3:46)
04. Planet Of The Apes (feat. Tommy Rogers) (10:59)
05. Sumeria (feat. Joe Duplantier, Paul Masvidal) (6:37)
06. The Mighty Masturbator (feat. Greg Puciato) (16:28)
07. Pandemic (feat. Floor Jansen) (3:29)
08. Deconstruction (feat. Oderus Urungus, Fredrik Thordenal) (9:27)
09. Poltergeist (4:25)

"Deconstruction" guest musicians:

* Mikael Åkerfeldt (OPETH, BLOODBATH)
* Ihsahn (EMPEROR)
* Tommy Rogers (BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME)
* Joe Duplantier (GOJIRA)
* Greg Puciato (THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN)
* Floor Jansen (AFTER FOREVER, REVAMP)
* Oderus Urungus (GWAR)
* Paul Masvidal (CYNIC)
* Fredrik Thordendal (MESHUGGAH)

Allover my face, my body's ready, ect. ect. ect...

Toddler

Toddler said:
"Deconstruction" track listing:

01. Praise The Lowered (feat. Paul Kuhr of NOVEMBERS DOOM) (6:02)
02. Stand (Feat. Mikael Åkerfeldt) (9:36)
03. Juular (feat. Ihsahn) (3:46)
04. Planet Of The Apes (feat. Tommy Rogers) (10:59)
05. Sumeria (feat. Joe Duplantier, Paul Masvidal) (6:37)
06. The Mighty Masturbator (feat. Greg Puciato) (16:28)
07. Pandemic (feat. Floor Jansen) (3:29)
08. Deconstruction (feat. Oderus Urungus, Fredrik Thordenal) (9:27)
09. Poltergeist (4:25)

"Deconstruction" guest musicians:

* Mikael Åkerfeldt (OPETH, BLOODBATH)
* Ihsahn (EMPEROR)
* Tommy Rogers (BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME)
* Joe Duplantier (GOJIRA)
* Greg Puciato (THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN)
* Floor Jansen (AFTER FOREVER, REVAMP)
* Oderus Urungus (GWAR)
* Paul Masvidal (CYNIC)
* Fredrik Thordendal (MESHUGGAH)

Allover my face, my body's ready, ect. ect. ect...
Just leaked BTW

Sobriquet

I've really been digging Kylesa and Torche. Any recommendations? I don't normally listen to this stuff.

I was inspired by a friend who has a stoner metal (I guess) band called ...Of The Horizon. Their demo is available for free here if anyone is interested.

Flynn

Sobriquet said:
I've really been digging Kylesa and Torche. Any recommendations? I don't normally listen to this stuff.

I was inspired by a friend who has a stoner metal (I guess) band called ...Of The Horizon. Their demo is available for free here if anyone is interested.

Baroness is probably right up your alley.

yacobod said:
ya kind of weird that he decided to just quit while on their farewell tour, wonder if there is something else going on behind the scenes

Pisses me off to no end. Priest's management has sucked balls for quite awhile, I'm sure that has something to do with it. I just don't understand how they could not make it work for a "farewell tour". Totally stupid.

Orayn

How do we feel about The Sword? They're kinda sorta officially metal, right? I only ask because I just listened to Warp Riders again, and I love that album. Best of the three they've released, IMO.

Toddler

viewtifulsub said:
Listening to the Deconstruction leak. It is glorious. Cannot wait for preorders to begin.
Definitely lives up to the hype.

POTA is probably my favorite overall track, but TMM is just an epic, crazy, 3 ring circus trip to the moon and back.

Sobriquet said:

you can't mention Torche without Floor. It was the former band which went on to become Torche.

Floor - Scimitar
Floor - Iron Girl
Floor - Loanin'
Floor - Bombs To Abbadon

Cathedral is always fun too. It's so outlandishly goofy, yet awesome at times.
Cathedral - Soul Sacrifice
Cathedral - Autumn Twilight
Cathedral - Ride

theres the ultra groovy instrumental band called Bongripper.

Bongripper - Satan
Bongripper - Hate Ashbury Pt. II

and for more weirder stoner shit. Ufomammut. Satan, UFO's, and psychedelic.
Ufomammut - Satan

Goatsnake is pretty hit or miss. They'll have some super fucking awesome songs, Then the other half songs like a pussified version of Kyuss.

Goatsnake - IV
Goatsnake - Raw Curtains

Hellcrow said:
The lack of Jesper Strømblad is really apparent. I've already forgotten the main riff, and I'm currently listening to the song.

I'm not expecting something awesome as this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLPXAcAsLgo

but I would be more than happy if we got something like this again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMUuLuwmmBg

In short, more awesome riffs and soloes. That is what In Flames was good at.

Jesus fuck that new stuff sounds mediocre. What has Anders done to his voice? I quite liked the sort of whiny clean voice he sang with before going into the guttural screams. Sounds like generic metal singer number 874 now. Yowza. The progression of In Flames has been weird.

I'm really looking forward to the new Opeth album. They never let me down.

viewtifulsub said:
Red Red Red Red Red Red Red. Red.

Listening to the Deconstruction leak. It is glorious. Cannot wait for preorders to begin.
Holy shit this is awesome! I've only listened to Praise The Lowered and Stand, but that is enough for now. I'll hold of with the rest until I got the physical copy in my hand. Can't wait for June!

Ahh, a time when things like that would actually work.

Now its all 'HOW MANY MYSPACE FRIENDS HAVE YOU GOT? ARE YOU POPULAR ON FACEBOOK? DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS FOR A RADIO FRIENDLY SINGLE?'

Orayn

h3nriqu3 said:
Anyone a big fan of prog metal?

I'm really into Between the Buried and Me, Dream Theater, The Human Abstract, Protest the Hero. Any recommendations?
If you haven't already, pick up the first and second Liquid Tension Experiment albums. It's basically an instrumental Dream Theater side project, and it's fantastic. Scale the Summit is also good for instrumental prog.

Orayn said:
If you haven't already, pick up the first and second Liquid Tension Experiment albums. It's basically an instrumental Dream Theater side project, and it's fantastic. Scale the Summit is also good for instrumental prog.

Ah yes Scale the Summit is great too, I will have to check out Liquid Tension thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom