• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

Gaspode_T said:
New In Flames single was revealed, sounds a little like a mix of their last 4 albums:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrUYZ5OH6lk

I like it...they are good guys even if some of their fans are raving lunatics about how they have changed

I like it too, a lot better than I thought I'd like something without Jesper. Then again, I like pretty much everything they've put out. I mean, I actually really like Soundtrack to Your Escape almost as much as I like stuff like The Jester Race (just for obviously different reasons).

gaf, recommend me some 'battle metal', i.e. stuff with lyrics to get you pumped up
amon amarth is the best example of this, their lyrics never fail to push me on

Total war is here
Face it without fear
Age of sword, age of spear
Fight for honor, glory
Death in fire!

amazing...

Gaspode_T

Ohhh, Lionheart recommended most of the bands I was going to mention for prog stuff...I am listening to Spheric Universe Experience now, I like it a lot. I actually thought it was DT guys at first :p

Threshold as well, don't miss them. Underrated band, I e-mailed them and asked why they have never toured the US and they actually replied "We don't have enough popularity outside the UK" :( :( :(

I can say it's sometimes fun to go back and listen to older prog-y stuff like Queensryche Operation Mindcrime, which was truly ahead of its time and still is quite easy to listen to. I want to be reading a William Gibson novel when I'm listening to that one.

Also there are some even older songs that are pretty awesome from a prog-ish perspective, check out Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick (the full version) and listen to it with earphones and just shut your eyes...

For a short song something like Yes's Roundabout is also amazing.

Since they both have new CDs I can't wait for In Flames and Arch Enemy to come to Japan and kick our asses this year! Most of the concerts in Tokyo have been cancelled since the earthquake, sucks bigtime. I was supposed to go to the Iron Maiden concert the day after the earthquake hit.

I'm crossing my fingers that Japan will get a Big 4 concert this fall.

Gaspode_T

Battle metal - My fave is 3 Inches of Blood! More like thrash/battle or something but they are still awesome. Again they are a band that has fans that give them a hard time about not doing death growls anymore, but they are great guys and super fun to see live.

I somehow don't get into Turisas or Amon Amarth as much unless it's a concert, those two seem to be the ruling kings?

Gaspode_T said:
Battle metal - My fave is 3 Inches of Blood! More like thrash/battle or something but they are still awesome. Again they are a band that has fans that give them a hard time about not doing death growls anymore, but they are great guys and super fun to see live.

I somehow don't get into Turisas or Amon Amarth as much unless it's a concert, those two seem to be the ruling kings?
i really like the instrumental part of 3 inches of blood, but i can't stand the singer's voice :/
not sure if they've got any lyrics about going to war, crushing your enemies' skulls and stuff tho?
ensiferum used to be pretty good in that department (into battle, raised by the sword,...) but their latest album is a fucking travesty
seriously, i've never been this disappointed by an album before
i'm used to my fave bands getting progressively worse (in flames, hammerfall,...) but ensiferum took it to a whole new level

i've got tons of melo-death/power metal on my ipod that i love but i really need a dose of those kind of 'motivational lyrics' once in a while to get through my day,lol...keep the suggestions coming, guys

Gaspode_T said:
Ohhh, Lionheart recommended most of the bands I was going to mention for prog stuff...I am listening to Spheric Universe Experience now, I like it a lot. I actually thought it was DT guys at first :p

Threshold as well, don't miss them. Underrated band, I e-mailed them and asked why they have never toured the US and they actually replied "We don't have enough popularity outside the UK" :( :( :(

Yeah thats the problem with a lot of the European bands I posted. They never come here(seventh wonder, spheric universe, threshold, anubis gate, etc) because they either cant afford or they aren't popular enough. They only stop over when they have the ProgPower show in Georgia(I think?) which is disappointing for the rest of the US. I wish the progpower show would become a tour around the US but I doubt that will ever happen. Those bands need to get in on a tour with like Dream Theater or Symphony X to boost their popularity here more.

Aske

scar tissue said:
lyrics about going to war, crushing your enemies' skulls and stuff

I think I can help you out. Here's a pretty diverse selection of music that should fit the bill.

Bloodshed Walhalla - Son of the War (from The Legends of a Viking. Everyone needs to hear this album.)

Falkenbach - ...When Gjallarhorn Will Sound (from Magni Blandinn Ok Megintiri)

Into The Ardent Awaited Land (from ...En Their Medh Riki Fara...)

The Monolith Deathcult - Demigod (from Tiriumvirate)

Bathory - A Fine Day to Die (from Blood Fire Death; also check out Hammerheart)

Asynja - Forward into Battle (from Through the Misty Air)

Graveland - Creator and Destroyer (more for the music than the vocals, but no one does Conanesque, post-Bathory Pagan Battle Metal better than Graveland. This song is from Fire-Chariot of Destruction, but if you'd like more in this vein check out Creed of Iron, The Fire of Awakening, Spears of Heaven, or Cold Winter Blades)

Forefather - The Fighting Man (from The Fighting Man)

Malevolent Creation - Divide and Conquer (from The Will to Kill)

Torture Killer - I Bathe in Their Blood (from Sewers)

DrM

Redmond's Baby
What you guys think about new Primordial album? After 2 days of intensive listening I can say that is another great album from this band.

Aske said:
I think I can help you out. Here's a pretty diverse selection of music that should fit the bill.

Bloodshed Walhalla - Son of the War (from The Legends of a Viking. Everyone needs to hear this album.)

Falkenbach - ...When Gjallarhorn Will Sound (from Magni Blandinn Ok Megintiri)

Into The Ardent Awaited Land (from ...En Their Medh Riki Fara...)

The Monolith Deathcult - Demigod (from Tiriumvirate)

Bathory - A Fine Day to Die (from Blood Fire Death; also check out Hammerheart)

Asynja - Forward into Battle (from Through the Misty Air)

Graveland - Creator and Destroyer (more for the music than the vocals, but no one does Conanesque, post-Bathory Pagan Battle Metal better than Graveland. This song is from Fire-Chariot of Destruction, but if you'd like more in this vein check out Creed of Iron, The Fire of Awakening, Spears of Heaven, or Cold Winter Blades)

Forefather - The Fighting Man (from The Fighting Man)

Malevolent Creation - Divide and Conquer (from The Will to Kill)

Torture Killer - I Bathe in Their Blood (from Sewers)
this is some amazing stuff, not done listening to everything yet but i really like what i'm hearing so far
thanks man, i'll make sure to include you in my prayers to odin ;D

thanks to omega dragon too, especially for reminding me about thronar
i wanted to buy their album(s?) some years ago but didn't find anything online

edit:
Giant Robot said:
first band that should come to mind is BOLT THROWER.
Unleashed Upon Mankind
Celestial Sanctuary
For Victory

Bathory - Blood Fire Death and Hammerheart. Every band owes tribute to this.
A Fine Day To Die

Unleashed. These guys pretty much laid the blueprints for what Amon Amarth does now.
Shadows In The Deep
Onward Into Countless Battles

Manowar, but i hate them so much.
this is good stuff too, and yeah, i can't stand manowar either
their music is already meh, and their stupid style pushes it over the top

Song from Arch Enemies upcoming album - Khaos Legions

Bloodstained Cross

Seems like a nice blend of Pre-Angela AE, Anthems of Rebellion and Wages of Sin to me.

First song from the new album that has stuck in my head. Should be a good live song.

Here's hoping the rest of the album is a bit more intense.

scar tissue said:
ensiferum used to be pretty good in that department (into battle, raised by the sword,...) but their latest album is a fucking travesty
seriously, i've never been this disappointed by an album before
i'm used to my fave bands getting progressively worse (in flames, hammerfall,...) but ensiferum took it to a whole new level

You though From Afar was that bad? I really like it, personally. It's certainly no s/t, but I really like it.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't understand why Wintersun's 2nd album hasn't come out yet. He's been "writing it for 5 years. I never thought Duke Nukem Forever would be coming out before Time. If I have money I want to go to the Children of Bodom show. I'd mainly be going for Devin Townsend and Septic Flesh.

sazabirules said:
I still don't understand why Wintersun's 2nd album hasn't come out yet. He's been "writing it for 5 years. I never thought Duke Nukem Forever would be coming out before Time. If I have money I want to go to the Children of Bodom show. I'd mainly be going for Devin Townsend and Septic Flesh.

Last time I heard anything about Time, it was Jani saying something along the lines of every song having like 250+ tracks and all that.

It's becoming the metal world's very own vaporware.

ShaneB

Galvanise_ said:
Song from Arch Enemies upcoming album - Khaos Legions

Bloodstained Cross

Seems like a nice blend of Pre-Angela AE, Anthems of Rebellion and Wages of Sin to me.

First song from the new album that has stuck in my head. Should be a good live song.

Here's hoping the rest of the album is a bit more intense.

Should be another solid album.

For any fan of Arch Enemy/Carcass, I highly highly suggest checking out Climatic Terra http://www.myspace.com/climaticterrametal, pretty much identical stuff to them, and their first album will definitely be on my top ten list of 2011. Just one of those amazing releases that come from nowhere, and it absolutely slays, very gutteral guitar tone, thrashy, heavy stuff.

ShaneB

Galvanise_ said:
Its not. Its very, very patchy.

I actually think it's pretty good. Nothing to set the metal world on fire, but I'm enjoying it, as expected, another solid album.

bart jr said:
Arsis debuted a new demo track. I've always been a fan of their work, and this song definitely does not disappoint - http://lambgoat.com/news/view.aspx?id=16271

Thanks for this, have loved Arsis since 'A Celebration of Guilt', and while they've changed a bit and gotten a bit more streamlined, I still think they rule, and this new track slays!

Flynn

Just got an order from Flenser:

Necrite - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Seidr - For Winter Fire
Pale Chalice - Afflicting the Dichotomy of Trepid Creation

The liner notes in the Necrite record are priceless

FUCK OFF BLACK METAL HIPPIE CRYBABIES
FUCK OFF BLACK METAL ELITIST SCENESTERS
FUCK YOUR POLITICS AND FUCK YOUR
FASHION-STATEMENT BULLSHIT.

NECRITE PLAYS OPRESSIVE BLACK METAL
FROM THE ABYSS AND DELIVERS THE
ANNIHILATION OF ALL LIFE.

DIE.

MattyH said:
seriously the tracks ive heard really stick out so im looking forward to it

Most of it is filler IMO. The only tracks I remember after listening to it:

- Yesterday is Dead and Done (its still pretty average)
- No Gods, No Masters (its the groove single. Like Revolution Begins, only not as good).
- Bloodstained Cross (chorus Guitar part and solos stick out, everything else is average).
- Secrets (like Anthem from AoR, only with vocals and more classical guitar influence in the solos).

Everything else is instantly forgettable. The Acoustic version of Snow Bound is really nice though.

There is nothing (memorable) with the breakneck pace of Nemesis in there, or the catchyness of Dead Eyes See no Future, nothing that compares to Silverwing etc.

The instrumental tracks are nothing to shout about.

Its quite a bit weaker than Rise of the Tyrant for me. Most of those songs stick out in my mind.

abunai

Sorry if this has already been posted, I checked the last few pages and didn't find anything. Anyone listened to the Gojira song off their upcoming EP?

Of Blood and Salt featuring Devin Townsend and Fredrik Thordendal.

blahness

Fucking amazing night at MDF on Friday. Got to meet and chat with John Baizley of Baroness and Scott Kelly of Neurosis about some old punk/thrash bands.

Alestorm's new album is on youtube... it's certainly got some surprising moments, like when this track (the albums grand finale) goes into a quasi black metal section.

Overall this album is a pretty big leap forward for them in terms of musicianship. I'll have to give it a few more listens, but I'm pretty excited to pick it up when it comes out next week

Phobophile said:
Halfway through the year and there hasn't been shit worthwhile that's come out.
The new Septic Flesh album is great, but it does seem like it's been a slow year for metal so far

Korranator

Phobophile said:

I admit most of the newer stuff that I had been hyped for turned out to be just ok. THe only release that has stood out for me is Septic Flesh

Curious to know what releases you've picked up or listened to so far.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Phobophile said:
Despond by Loss is probably the best metal album I've heard this year. The new Krallice is good (although definitely my least favorite of the three), as is the new Ulcerate.

ShaneB

Phobophile said:

Crazy talk. I've been overwhelmed with how much great metal has released this year, it's been terrific so far.

Blackheim

Phobophile said:

Falkenbach put out an EP and Pentagram released a new album this year that I've really dug. It's not a total loss :p

This is absolutely the most horrible shit I've seen.

Design The Skyline

DesignTheSkyline.jpg

wtf is this shit

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Giant Robot said:
This is absolutely the most horrible shit I've seen.

Design The Skyline

wtf is this shit
Haha, Victory Records! How things have changed... I used to love that shit. Snapcase, Deadguy, Bloodlet — although that was 15 years ago now.

These bands are a fucking dime a dozen, and I don't know who really likes them and I don't care, BUT it has always bugged me when shitty metalcore bands do death growls. It just doesn't sit well with me.

Flynn

Fuck it, I've been thinking about this for a while so I'll give Metal GAF a project.

Long story short, I basically dropped out of metal post high school (which was 1990) and didn't get back into it until four or five years ago.

I've fallen in love with black metal and have learned and heard a lot. But I'm still not very well educated with death metal. Since Maryland Death Fest is happening right now its on my mind.

Here's your project, Metal GAF. Fill in my death metal gaps. Start at the beginning and walk me through the early crowning achievements -- I'm looking to cop like 10 of the best founders of death metal for my foundation. I'll be BBQing tomorrow, but I'll check in to see what you guys put up.

Thanks in advance.

abunai

Witchfinder General said:
Awesome song. When does the EP come out?

It's been posted as "summer", which I guess is soon. They finished writing a while back and it's only a 4 song EP so I wouldn't be surprised if it drops in <4 weeks.

The LP is coming around Christmas, apparently but it wouldn't be surprising if they took more time and it came out in 2012. :(

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Flynn said:
Fuck it, I've been thinking about this for a while so I'll give Metal GAF a project.

Long story short, I basically dropped out of metal post high school (which was 1990) and didn't get back into it until four or five years ago.

I've fallen in love with black metal and have learned and heard a lot. But I'm still not very well educated with death metal. Since Maryland Death Fest is happening right now its on my mind.

Here's your project, Metal GAF. Fill in my death metal gaps. Start at the beginning and walk me through the early crowning achievements -- I'm looking to cop like 10 of the best founders of death metal for my foundation. I'll be BBQing tomorrow, but I'll check in to see what you guys put up.

Thanks in advance.

'Aight. Try these:

Morbid Angel - Domination (track: Eyes to See Ears to Hear)
Death - The Sound of Perseverance (track: Spirit Crusher
Obituary - World Demise (track: Don't Care)
Napalm Death - Diatribes (track: Greed Killings)
Massacre - From Beyond (track: Dawn of Eternity)
Carcass - Heartwork (track Embodiment)
Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of the Mutilated (track: Hammer Smashed Face)
Entombed - Wolverine Blues (track: Eyemaster)
Six Feet Under - Haunted (track: Lycanthropy)
Edge of Sanity - The Spectral Sorrows (track: Jesus Cries)
Depresy - A Grand Magnificence (track: Unpure Romanticism)
Atheist - Piece of Time (track: Room With a View)

There's more but that will do for now.

Flynn

Witchfinder General said:
'Aight. Try these:

Morbid Angel - Domination (track: Eyes to See Ears to Hear)
Death - The Sound of Perseverance (track: Spirit Crusher
Obituary - World Demise (track: Don't Care)
Napalm Death - Diatribes (track: Greed Killings)
Massacre - From Beyond (track: Dawn of Eternity)
Carcass - Heartwork (track Embodiment)
Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of the Mutilated (track: Hammer Smashed Face)
Entombed - Wolverine Blues (track: Eyemaster)
Six Feet Under - Haunted (track: Lycanthropy)

Edge of Sanity - The Spectral Sorrows (track: Jesus Cries)
Depresy - A Grand Magnificence (track: Unpure Romanticism)
Atheist - Piece of Time (track: Room With a View)

There's more but that will do for now.

Thanks! This looks like just what I was looking for. Will report back after some listening.

Flynn said:

Thanks in advance.

Since you were getting out of metal right around 1990, it makes sense that you never got into it because it was right about full swing in late 80's-early 90's

the easiest thing to do is probably look at band lineups from '89-93 from Earache, Roadrunner, Relapse, Nuclear Blast, Century Media, Peaceville. Earache probably spawning the most influential across different styles. Also in the beginning there were about 2 areas of death metal prominence: Florida (Tampa) death metal and Swedish (Stockholm) death metal. With that criteria above you can put together the early death metal days that got it going. The list below is what I would suggest to someone trying to get into death metal. Starting with the early classic stuff and branching out from there.

Master - Self Titled - 1990 - Nuclear Blast Records (Uknown Soldier) : One of the founding frontman of death metal. Even though Master didn't release anything official until 1990, Paul Speckmann's has been tinkering with the death metal style in the EARLY 80's.

Death - Leprosy - 1988 - Combat Records (Pull The Plug) : Obvious choice. One of the defining "Florida death metal sound" One of the first to coin the term "death metal". Even though this was the 2nd album by Death, i felt this had more brutal elements than the first album. Bonus track: Flattening of Emotions

Pestilence - Consvming Impvlse - 1989 - Roadrunner Records(Deify Thy Master) : ultra brutal and ultra simple straightforward death metal from the Netherlands. This is off their second album which made the full transition from thrashy-death metal to straight up death metal.

Obituary - Cause of Death - 1990 - Roadrunner Records (Infected) : Another pioneering "Florida death metal" band. Ultra simplistic and headbangable/moshable. Catchy as fuck. The vocals defined the death metal genre and never replicated.

Autopsy - Severed Survival - 1988 - Peaceville Records (Ridden With Disease) : imo the best American death metal band. It was the drummer on the first Death album's new band. It was almost meant to sound ugly, depressing, and sloppy. Simple, yet effective and one of the first to do really gory lyrics. Bonus track because they are fucking awesome: In The Grip of Winter

Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness - 1989 - Earache Records (Chapel of Ghouls) : another Florida death metal band. Different approach to death metal with satanic themes rather than gore. The riffing had a "backwards" sound to it and the speed of the drumming was unheard of at the time besides Napalm Death.

Entombed - Left Hand Path - 1989 - Earache Records (Left Hand Path) : The band that shook the underground death metal world. Also the band that put Sweden on the map. Nicke Andersson (drummer) was massively involved with the tape trading ring and made contacts around the world to explore the death metal realm. There were a lot of hype surrounding Entombed and the sister bands at the time; Carnage, Dismember, Grave, Tiamat, Unleashed, etc because of one element: the fucking savage buzzsaw riffing. The riffs and sound became the trademark "Swedish Sunlight Studio" sound. Craftsmanship and polish were top notch and all at an early age! This is true raw Swedish death metal. Fuck all the other Gothenburg bands that came after. This was the real lesson in Swedish death metal. Bonus track: Dusk

Carcass - Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious - 1991 - Earache Records (Corporeal Jigsore Quandary): labeled as the "Gods of Grind" and rightfully so. Riffs are chockfull of chunky goodness with a flair of finesse. Dual vocal duties (sometimes 3 vocals). Grindy, yet catchy and melodic somehow. Pushed the envelope of gore, but intelligently lyrically. A band that truly progressed with each album. No 2 albums sound alike, with the exception of the first 2 albums. But you can distinguish the quality and maturity between the 2 albums. My all time favorite death metal band. Bonus tracks: Exhume To Consume and Carnal Forge

Atheist - Piece of Time - 1989 - Active/Metal Blade Records (Piece of Time) : Distinguishably different from all the other Florida death metal bands at the time since they added a lot of odd time signatures and jazzy elements. One of the first truly technical death metal bands. Insane bass player that died too short and eerily similar to Cliff Burton :( Bonus track: Unquestionable Presence

Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes - 1994 - Relapse Records(In The Beginning) : Although slightly after the death metal boom I think this album definitely needs to be in any death metal library. 2nd album from the Finnish band that took elements of Swedish death metal and rock influences from The Doors. Extremely melodic and memorable yet crushing.

other notable mentions:
Deicide - Sacrificial Suicide
Bolt Thrower - IVth Crusade
Monstrosity - Ceremonial Void
Malevolent Creation - Premature Burial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom