• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of good bands listed already, I'll just add...

Opeth Still Life-Not strictly death metal, there's plenty of (legitimately good) clean singing and acoustic guitar parts to break the mold, very progressive.

Necrophagist Onset of Putrification-Crazy technical guitars, brutal vocals, Muhammed Suicmez is a beast! Also amazing song names (Fermented Offal Discharge \m/)

Gorguts From Wisdom to Hate-This album's awesome, good mix of their early straight-up DM mixed with Obscura's experimentation.

Cryptopsy None So Vile-One of the fastest drummers to ever walk the Earth, that mixed with a subtle beauty to the songs makes them very appealing.

Immolation Majesty and Decay-I love the lead singer's voice, very clear and easy to understand the lyrics while retaining all the brutality you'd ever expect in death metal.

Vader De Profundis-Just classic shit right here, very easy listening as far as death metal is concerned.

Dismember The God That Never Was Great band, they had that nasty guitar distortion down pat. Like an Ever Flowing Stream is usually considered their best but The God...stands right there with it.

Suffocation Effigy of the Forgotten-Both grindy and groovy, what's not to love!

At the Gates The Red in the Sky is Ours-Kinda crazy thinking an album this good came from the makers of Slaughter of the Soul; much more ambitious than their later melodeth escapades.

Ulcerate The Destroyers of All-Very cool band, hard to compare to anyone else, there's something about their drum tones that's just incredible.

Giant Robot said:
DesignTheSkyline.jpg

wtf is this shit

.................. thats some weak ass shit right there

Chorazin

Mr. Paer said:
Alestorm's new album is on youtube... it's certainly got some surprising moments, like when this track (the albums grand finale) goes into a quasi black metal section.

Overall this album is a pretty big leap forward for them in terms of musicianship. I'll have to give it a few more listens, but I'm pretty excited to pick it up when it comes out next week

I have a thousand boners for new Alestorm material. The world needs more Scottish Pirate Metal, dammit!

Blackheim

Witchfinder General said:
I can't believe I forgot to mention Autopsy. Either way it seems that all of the awesome Death Metal bands have been covered.

Yeah, I'll add one more that tends to get overlooked because of their change in style:

Sentenced. The first 2 albums + EP were Death Metal and are damned good. Here's a song for you Flynn :D Desert By Night

while we're on the topic of Autopsy, some info regarding their new album:

"Macabre Eternal", the first full-length album from the legendary San Francisco Bay Area gore grind act AUTOPSY since 1995's "Shitfun", will be released in Europe in early June on Peaceville Records. A U.S. release will follow several weeks later.

"Macabre Eternal" was recorded at Fantasy Studios in Berkeley, California and includes AUTOPSY's first 10-plus minute song "Sadistic Gratification". "It's 11 minutes and 33 seconds of pure fucking sickness"

"Macabre Eternal" track listing

01. Hand Of Darkness
02. Dirty Gore Whore
03. Always About To Die
04. Macabre Eternal
05. Deliver Me From Sanity
06. Seeds Of The Doomed
07. Bridge Of Bones
08. Born Undead
09. Sewn Into One
10. Bludgeoned and Brained
11. Sadistic Gratification
12. Spill My Blood

He continued, "The album will contain no repeated EP tracks, no re-recorded old songs, no triggered trickery, and nothing less than the pure death metal brutality that AUTOPSY has always delivered."

"I usually cringe when I hear 'reunion' or 'reformed' or whatever," Reifert told Decibel. "It usually means people are out of ideas. We really have no interest in reliving the past. That's what was cool about the songs just coming to us instead of our trying to force it. We can't tour, and if we could, we still wouldn't want to. But as long as we enjoy recording, we're going to stay at it. It's not a one-off or a two-off or whatever. Right now, there's a lot of energy in the band, and it's not going away anytime soon. We have a few things to take care of, for sure."

autopsy2010.jpg

Autopsy still being Autopsy :)

Aske said:

Damn, I thought they released another track.

Too bad their keyboard player and now one of their guitarists left. I saw them in May, they were playing Kindertodeslied on a festival celebrating freedom and the capitulation of WWII German army. They introduced it by telling that they always wanted to play on such a festival, but never got in and wondered why. A shame that they didn't introduce Demigod yet into their setlist... I love that track.
Looking forward to the new album!

Slappers Only

Quacking said:
Just wondering... someone here listen to Rhapsody of Fire?
And if yes, what's your opinion about this band?
They know how to write a soaring, bombastic chorus as well as any. I enjoy them for their instrumentation, but some of the narrative content makes me cringe. Catchy, silly, occasionally awesome stuff.

Flynn

Still working my way though the suggestions. Thanks for all the work. You guys have great taste.

I can say this already: If I had been exposed to Massacre in 1988 I almost certainly would have gotten into death metal. They seem to bridge thrash to death quite nicely.

Aske

OmegaDragon said:
Damn, I thought they released another track.

Too bad their keyboard player and now one of their guitarists left. I saw them in May, they were playing Kindertodeslied on a festival celebrating freedom and the capitulation of WWII German army. They introduced it by telling that they always wanted to play on such a festival, but never got in and wondered why. A shame that they didn't introduce Demigod yet into their setlist... I love that track.
Looking forward to the new album!

Yeah, I noticed after I posted that it had been up for a couple of months. I didn't think it had been that long since I checked their website. Sorry to get your hopes up! I'm jealous you got to see them live. I hope they make it over to NA someday, but with a bit of luck I'll catch them across the pond next year. Maybe by then they'll have added 1567 - Under the Blood Campaign to the set list too...

Flynn said:
Still working my way though the suggestions. Thanks for all the work. You guys have great taste.

I can say this already: If I had been exposed to Massacre in 1988 I almost certainly would have gotten into death metal. They seem to bridge thrash to death quite nicely.

Kam Lee (Massacre vocalist) was also one of the first to coin the death growl as well.

Morbid Angel's new record has apparently being leaked, and impressions are rather negative. Wasn't impressed with the online samples provided a while back.

Bring on the Autopsy comeback album.

Flynn

I think the biggest crime of not getting into death metal when I had the chance is the fact that I lived in Florida the whole time.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
viewtifulsub said:
Morbid Angel's new record has apparently being leaked, and impressions are rather negative. Wasn't impressed with the online samples provided a while back.

Bring on the Autopsy comeback album.

I've had the album on vinyl on preorder for months so I hope the final product is actually good. The fact that David Vincent is back singing makes a huge difference to me and when I saw 'em live a while back they were pretty good.

frogg609

I am primarily a death and black metal kind of guy. I am looking to get into some thrash.

I just ordered the following:

Death Angel - Act III
Municipal Waste - The Art of Partying.

In a few weeks I was going to pick up Megadeth's Peace Sells But Who's Buying and Testament's Legacy.

Any other albums that come highly recommended (not Metallica, have all that).

Thanks!

Blackheim

frogg609 said:
I am primarily a death and black metal kind of guy. I am looking to get into some thrash.

Death Angel - Act III

In a few weeks I was going to pick up Megadeth's Peace Sells But Who's Buying and Testament's Legacy.

Thanks!

The obvious:

Slayer - Show No Mercy & Reign in Blood [Black Magic, Criminally Insane]
Anthrax - Spreading the Disease & Among the Living [A.I.R., I Am the Law]
Kreator - Pleasure to Kill & Terrible Certainty & Extreme Aggression & Coma of Souls & more! [Terrible Certainty, Command of the Blade, Some Pain Will Last, People of the Lie]
Overkill - Feel the Fire & Under the Influence and The Years of Decay [Second Son, Head First, Who Tends the Fire]

Lesser known:

Outrage - Blind to Reality & The Great Blue [Nowhere to Turn, Rusty Door]
Wrath - Nothing to Fear (Long out of print, unless you want to pay $75+ on eBay. Hard to find but, the music is great. And as screechy as the vocals are on this one, they fit once you get used to them) [Mutants]

There are tons more of course but, that should do for now.

frogg609 said:

Death Angel - Act III

Thanks!

Vio-Lence - Phobophobia
Forbidden - Through Eyes Of Glass
Sabbat - The Clerical Conspiracy
Onslaught - Fight With The Beast
Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal
Hypnosia - Comatose
Kreator - No Reason To Exist
Sodom - Agent Orange
Atrophy - Puppies and Friends

frogg609 said:

Death Angel - Act III

Thanks!

Others have listed some good ones and I just want to add, Sanctuary: Refuge Denied.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
frogg609 said:

Death Angel - Act III

Thanks!

Here's some that others haven't suggested:

Annihilator - Set the World on Fire (track: Knight Jumps Queen)
Allegiance - Destitution (track: Chaos Dies)
Toxik - Think This (track: There Stood the Fence)
Voivod - Nothingface (track: The Unknown Knows)
Mercyful Fate - Melissa (Evil)
Tourniquet - Where Moth and Rust Destroy (track: Where Moth and Rust Destroy)
Anthrax - Persistence Of Time (track: Belly of the Beast)
Anacrusis - Manic Impressions (track:Paint a Picture)

God I love Thrash.

Witchfinder General said:
I've had the album on vinyl on preorder for months so I hope the final product is actually good. The fact that David Vincent is back singing makes a huge difference to me and when I saw 'em live a while back they were pretty good.
I had a blast when Morbid Angel last toured Australia, and no doubt, they're a good band live.

Dont think I'll be able to say the same about this album. Sounds like Dave merged his Genitorturers side project with MA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veKglhYrLTA

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
viewtifulsub said:
I had a blast when Morbid Angel last toured Australia, and no doubt, they're a good band live.

Dont think I'll be able to say the same about this album. Sounds like Dave merged his Genitorturers side project with MA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veKglhYrLTA

Sounds like Morbid Angel meets Ministry.

That was pretty good, actually.

I saw 'em in Sydney at the Metro. Where did you see 'em?

Opeth released some detail about their new ablum Heritage.

Track Listing:

1. "Heritage"
2. "The Devil's Orchard" (will be released as a single)
3. "I Feel the Dark"
4. "Slither"
5. "Nepenthe"
6. "Haxprocess"
7. "Famine"
8. "The Lines in My Hand"
9. "Folklore"
10. "Marrow of the Earth"

Last two seem like an Agalloch reference, that should be interesting.

Some choice words about the album from Mikael Åkerfeldt:

It will be our 10th album/observation. I dig it; we all do. In fact, it feels like I've been building up to write for and participate on an album like this since I was 19.
It's quite intense at times in some 'old' murky way, and quite beautiful and stark at times, if I may say so myself.
It's obvious I'm going to say nice things about it since I wrote, basically, the whole piece, but I guess it will raise a few eyebrows and it certainly is an acquired taste.
I think you'll need a slightly deeper understanding of our music as a whole to be able to appreciate this record.
I've realized my influences for this album are so diverse that I can't really say what it sounds like.
If I can compare it to any other band, it would have to be OPETH, but it's different from the stuff we've done before.
I've listened a lot to ALICE COOPER for the last year, yet I can't say it sounds like No More Mr. Nice Guy.
I hope you'll like it once you hear it.

And finally the cover art:

opethheritage.jpg

Pretty different from their other releases, but cool none the less. The Per doesn't fall far from the tree...

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I really, really like the cover except for the faces in the tree. I'm not too sure whether I should be looking forward to the album, however. On the one hand their last couple of album were very disappointing. On the other hand Steven Wilson is involved again, although not on a producing level.

Flynn

Secks4Food said:
Darn, I knew I should have posted song links in my suggestions :(

Oh well, there's always GrooveShark for streaming full albums.

I'll be researching yours too. Thanks for the suggestions!

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Galvanise_ said:
I'm far too excited about new Opeth stuff. Its probably going to be the highlight of my year musically. They've never let me down.
Backwater Park 2 please!

Aske

scar tissue said:
not bad at all
love trivmvirate, which other album would you guys recommend?
white crematorium or white crematorium 2.0?

Personally, I much prefer the original White Crematorium to the 2.0 recordings. 2.0 is supposed to rework the old songs 'in the style of Triumvirate', but I found that if anything I wanted them to deviate much further from the originals into something incomparable. The sharper edges of the guitars are blunted in favor of a much warmer sound, and to me, they sound like the same songs with much less bite. This doesnt elevate the tracks to Triumvirate levels of greatness. At best the new versions are fine but add nothing significant; at worst some tracks are robbed of what makes them interesting in the first place.

Stand out tracks on the albums are 1567 - Under the Blood Campaign and 7 Months of Suffering. A YouTube search should yield original and 2.0 versions for comparison.

Gaspode_T

Thrash:

Machine Head's The Blackening Special Edition is a must have for any metal fan - IMO

One of the most underrated bands is Annihilator http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annihilator_(album) (this CD in particular I recommend)

Overkill
Nevermore
Exodus (my favorite recently is their recent live CD from Wacken - Shovel Headed Tour Machine)

Lamb of God are not pure thrash but they have a sort of groove that makes them really easy to listen to - I really love them as a 'go to' CD when you're pissed off about something. They took me a while to get into.

Flynn said:
I think Entombed -- Left Hand Path is going to be my first purchase.

fuck yea. Listen to that shit loud. The follow up album Clandestine is a bit more accessible and not as raw as Left Hand Path, but is still a fucking classic.

Might as well pick that up or Dismember - Like An Everflowing Stream. It's pretty much the sister album to Left Hand Path.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom