• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flynn

Witchfinder General said:
So what's your thoughts on the suggestions? Did you like 'em all? Hated some?

They're nearly all amazing. I don't know what was keeping me away from this music all these years.

Now it's just a matter of systematically adding this stuff to my library and becoming more familiar with it.

I think Entombed stuck out for the mellower guitar solo bits at the end of the track.

Death stuck out to me quite a bit. I've been curious about them for a while now and your suggestions really cemented that for me.

I have fond memories of Napalm Death because they appeared on this awesome Alternative Tentacles comp covering the Dead Kennedys. Will have to check out more from them.

"Jesus Cries" by Edge of Sanity feels all kinds of epic -- and kind of emotional too. Really impressed by that.

The bass in Atheist really does stick out. I like that -- the song has an almost proggy, free-jazz feel in parts that reminds me of what I like about Orthrelm and stuff like that.

Gonna need more time to solidify my thoughts about all the songs. But there wasn't a single stinker in any of the suggestions on the YouTube playlist.

I'm super grateful for your suggestions.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Flynn said:
They're nearly all amazing. I don't know what was keeping me away from this music all these years.

Now it's just a matter of systematically adding this stuff to my library and becoming more familiar with it.

I think Entombed stuck out for the mellower guitar solo bits at the end of the track.

Death stuck out to me quite a bit. I've been curious about them for a while now and your suggestions really cemented that for me.

I have fond memories of Napalm Death because they appeared on this awesome Alternative Tentacles comp covering the Dead Kennedys. Will have to check out more from them.

"Jesus Cries" by Edge of Sanity feels all kinds of epic -- and kind of emotional too. Really impressed by that.

The bass in Atheist really does stick out. I like that -- the song has an almost proggy, free-jazz feel in parts that reminds me of what I like about Orthrelm and stuff like that.

Gonna need more time to solidify my thoughts about all the songs. But there wasn't a single stinker in any of the suggestions on the YouTube playlist.

I'm super grateful for your suggestions.

Coo, cool. You're in for a treat when you check out the albums. And what I suggested is only the tip of the iceberg.

Mr. Paer said:
Alestorm's new album is on youtube... it's certainly got some surprising moments, like when this track (the albums grand finale) goes into a quasi black metal section.

Overall this album is a pretty big leap forward for them in terms of musicianship. I'll have to give it a few more listens, but I'm pretty excited to pick it up when it comes out next week

I'm listening right now to the new Alestorm. I've never considered myself a HUGE fan of theirs, but this album is actually quite good. I always liked the idea of the merging of Power and Folk Metal (probably my 2 favorite Metal subgenres) and adding Pirate themes, but aside from a handful of songs I was never super impressed. I'm happy I gave this one a shot.

I love the lyrics to "Scraping the Barrel" in particular. I agree, the musicianship seems a notch above their previous works. And the jigs and jauntiness are as delightful as ever, they just seem to be more competently played and written. I dig.

Seanspeed

Banned
frogg609 said:
I am primarily a death and black metal kind of guy. I am looking to get into some thrash.

I just ordered the following:

Death Angel - Act III
Municipal Waste - The Art of Partying.

In a few weeks I was going to pick up Megadeth's Peace Sells But Who's Buying and Testament's Legacy.

Any other albums that come highly recommended (not Metallica, have all that).

Thanks!
I was gonna say that you're already ahead of the curve, but if you like Megadeth, then you're clearly left wanting.

I'd recommend some old Sepultura or some old Slayer. Megadeth is a terrible, terrible band, born out out of Mustaine's ill-held contempt for his failure at a guitarist for Metallica.

:p

TUROK

Witchfinder General said:
I've had the album on vinyl on preorder for months so I hope the final product is actually good. The fact that David Vincent is back singing makes a huge difference to me and when I saw 'em live a while back they were pretty good.
Just listened to some of the tracks. If you're okay with a band changing its sound and are a fan of Entombed and Ministry, you might like it. There appears to be some solid, straight-forward death metal songs on there too.

Rhapsody Of Fire's new album "From Chaos To Eternity" leaked and I think its really IMPRESSIVE!

rhapsody.of_.fire_.from_.chaos_.to_.eternity.jpg

It has some EPIC choirs! And the last song "Heroes Of The Waterfalls' Kingdom" just fulfills all your Rhapsody's desires.

It also has a really different kind of song, It can be described as an "Epic Metal Musical" its called "I Belong To The Stars", highly recommended.

Here is the title track "From Chaos To Eternity"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2bUSSn1YuI

and here is the magical "I Belong To The Stars"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFXlCWJSC9k&feature=related

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
TUROK said:
Just listened to some of the tracks. If you're okay with a band changing its sound and are a fan of Entombed and Ministry, you might like it. There appears to be some solid, straight-forward death metal songs on there too.

Well, they mixed up their sound with Formulas Fatal to the Flesh and Gateways to Annihilation so I'm not perturbed by a change in style. Hell, I usually like it when a band changes style provided that it's done well like Load (Metallica), Risk (Megadeth), Same Difference (Entombed), One Second (Paradise Lost), A Grand Declaration of War (Mayhem), 34.788%... Complete (My Dying Bride), and so on.

After the awful Heretic, I'd expect anything will be an improvement for Morbid Angel.

Darklord

Banned
Oh god, I heard some preview tracks of Morbid Angel's new album. "kill a cop, kill a cop" LOL. What a fucking joke. It's so bad.

Seanspeed

Banned
Flynn said:
Megadeth came back from sucking. Metallica has yet to climb out of that valley.
I agree with the latter, but not the former.

Megadeth is truly terrible. Mustaine should never be allowed to sing. And the main driving force behind thrash(the guitar riffs) are all kinda weak compared to the good stuff thats been put out.

If you want great thrash, like I said, listen to some old Sepultura or Slayer. "Arise" by Sepultura and "Postmortem" by Slayer are two fantastic examples of thrash at its meager best.

ANYWAYS....I just discovered the band Equilibrium. My god they are awesome. People may like to label it 'Viking Metal' or whatever, but for me, it just sounds like really good early In Flames-style melodic death. And this is coming from a guy who prefers metalcore.

frogg609

All this bad talk about Morbid Angel's new album is not leaving me with much hope. Do you think I could return my copy to Amazon when it gets here and say "It sucks" as the reason? :p

Seanspeed said:
If you want great thrash, like I said, listen to some old Sepultura or Slayer. "Arise" by Sepultura and "Postmortem" by Slayer are two fantastic examples of thrash at its meager best.

Sepultura - Beneath The Remains > All

Megadeth - Rust In Peace > Life

Seanspeed said:
I agree with the latter, but not the former.

Megadeth is truly terrible. Mustaine should never be allowed to sing. And the main driving force behind thrash(the guitar riffs) are all kinda weak compared to the good stuff thats been put out.

ANYWAYS....I just discovered the band Equilibrium. My god they are awesome. People may like to label it 'Viking Metal' or whatever, but for me, it just sounds like really good early In Flames-style melodic death. And this is coming from a guy who prefers metalcore.

Oh come on now, Megadeth is awesome, you can't make an argument against one of the biggest thrash bands to ever exist with something like "weak riffs".

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Giant Robot said:
Sepultura - Beneath The Remains > All

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways.......
arch-enemy-khaos-legions-artwork.jpg

tumblr_ljvyw2yqlv1qdkz03.jpg

I mean it. The only good points for Khaos Legions are amott bros melodic leads/solos but that's it. Its shit and Im not gonna listen to shit with few nice leads/solos from all of their songs. fuck that. Arch Enemy are done. Amott bros should just make their own band with more talented folks in it.

Flynn said:
Amazon doesn't sell mp3s of Spectral Sorrows by Edge of Sanity. What's their second best album?

You can't go wrong with Crimson*, I personally like it more than Spectral Sorrows anyway.

*Unless you hate really, really long songs

NoRéN

Verano said:
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways.......

I mean it. The only good points for Khaos Legions are amott bros melodic leads/solos but that's it. Its shit and Im not gonna listen to shit with few nice leads/solos from all of their songs. fuck that. Arch Enemy are done. Amott bros should just make their own band with more talented folks in it.
Thanks for the warning. I felt like they were reaching the end at Doomsday Machine.

Verano said:
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways.......

Posted my thoughts on the previous page. I agree. There are less than a handful of memorable songs on the album, and even those songs are weak when held up against their back catalogue.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Flynn said:
Amazon doesn't sell mp3s of Spectral Sorrows by Edge of Sanity. What's their second best album?

Actually, Purgatory Afterglow is their best album. I suggested SS mainly because it has a slightly more old-school Death Metal sound. Check out the songs Twilight and Black Tears from Purgatory Afterglow.

DrM said:
He should revive Strapping Young Lad....

No he shouldn't. SYL has been dead to him since City and the other albums done after that purely for contractual obligation. Devin's no longer an angry young man. Besides, his latest stuff is arguably the best material he's put out in his career.

Flynn said:

I like Crimson, but its 1 long 45 minute song.

Purgatory Afterglow is good. Nothing But Death Remains and Unorthodox is good and old school as well, but right before they got extremely melodic with Spectral Sorrows.

For the more weird, but more groovy and bluesy than Edge of Sanity is Pan-Thy-Monium. It's Dan Swano's other band he was doing simultaneously. Pan-Thy-Monium : The Battle of Geeheeb

Verano- you disliked Beneath The Remains? That shit is text book borderline death/thrash. The only thing that comes close in terms of insane triplets is old Iced Earth. It's a pretty fucking relentless album.

El_Victor

Epicus.Furor said:
Rhapsody Of Fire's new album "From Chaos To Eternity" leaked and I think its really IMPRESSIVE!

rhapsody.of_.fire_.from_.chaos_.to_.eternity.jpg

It has some EPIC choirs! And the last song "Heroes Of The Waterfalls' Kingdom" just fulfills all your Rhapsody's desires.

It also has a really different kind of song, It can be described as an "Epic Metal Musical" its called "I Belong To The Stars", highly recommended.

Here is the title track "From Chaos To Eternity"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2bUSSn1YuI

and here is the magical "I Belong To The Stars"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFXlCWJSC9k&feature=related

So far, I'm not impressed. Read various impressions of the album that praised it as being like TFTOA but better; I'd say it's the opposite. It's more progressive which is a good thing since Luca/Alex are really good at making their songs so diverse, but it lacks the craziness that was On the way to Ainor or Reign of Terror from the last album. It has few songs that stand out. I like the Title Track, Tornado and parts of Heroes of the Waterfall Kingdom but the rest is pretty forgettable. And I'm not fond of Fabio going all Hansi (of Blind Guardian fame) with his singing, making multi-layered vocals that's impossible to do live. Then again, it might grow on me.

Still, it's better than than SoeL II and ToA. Now I'm interested in what they will do next, since they will allegedly leave their concept albums. I really can't imagine Fabio singing about anything other than weird, cliché fantasy tropes.

Verano

Giant Robot said:
Verano- you disliked Beneath The Remains? That shit is text book borderline death/thrash. The only thing that comes close in terms of insane triplets is old Iced Earth. It's a pretty fucking relentless album.

In terms of songwriting and fodder, I prefer Arise. BTR has some good songs but it just doesnt make me jizz my pants like Arise does.

Since it's E3 and all, I was learning about some new upcoming games, one of which is a little xbox live arcade game call Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet . Apparently, it's going to feature music by Dimmu Borgir in the cinematics. Here's what they have to say about it on the game's blog:

We're very happy to officially announce that the music of Dimmu Borgir, courtesy of Nuclear Blast and Prophesies Publishings, will be featured in our game's cinematics. The music is beautiful and epic and really adds power to the images.

A bunch of us from the studio went to see them in Seattle the last time they were in town and we loved the show. We’re delighted to have them be a part of our project.

http://michelgagne.blogspot.com/2010/09/dimmu-borgir.html

That blog post was made ages ago, but the game is coming out pretty soon, so I figured I'd post it. Pretty cool, I can't think of a single video game that features black metal, not even a guitar hero game or something.

yacobod

Banned
Verano said:
In terms of songwriting and fodder, I prefer Arise. BTR has some good songs but it just doesnt make me jizz my pants like Arise does.

idk man but i think arise is pretty fucking weak compared to beneath the remains and schizophrenia. schizophrenia is pretty great, but beneath the remains is like schizophrenia distilled and on steroids.

WHO
WHO
WHO
HAS BEEN FUCKED BY RIFFS.

yacobod said:
idk man but i think arise is pretty fucking weak compared to beneath the remains and schizophrenia. schizophrenia is pretty great, but beneath the remains is like schizophrenia distilled and on steroids.

WHO
WHO
WHO

ahaha.

WHO
WHO
WHO
HAS DIED.

Arise is alright every once in a while, i just find it stale after a few listens especially how incompetent Igor got with the drumming on that album. However, I do enjoy Chaos A.D. though for what it is.

Verano

yacobod said:

WHO
WHO
WHO

uh huh..and sarcastic existence is the best fuckin song of the forever.. *jizzes*.

Secks4Food said:
Since it's E3 and all, I was learning about some new upcoming games, one of which is a little xbox live arcade game call Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet . Apparently, it's going to feature music by Dimmu Borgir in the cinematics. Here's what they have to say about it on the game's blog:

http://michelgagne.blogspot.com/2010/09/dimmu-borgir.html

That blog post was made ages ago, but the game is coming out pretty soon, so I figured I'd post it. Pretty cool, I can't think of a single video game that features black metal, not even a guitar hero game or something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brütal_Legend#Soundtrack

It has Emperor, Enslaved, Dimmu, Rotting Christ and some more

I have recently listened to Death's Design for the first time. I'm really liking it. I've heard Nightwork a few times, but wasn''t too impressed.

And speaking of videogames, the first minute or so of Mad Architect from Septic Flesh reminds me of Gears

OmegaDragon said:
I have recently listened to Death's Design for the first time. I'm really liking it. I've heard Nightwork a few times, but wasn''t too impressed.

Diabolical Masquerade is quite comical. I liked Nightwork. Death's Design is quite entertaining and I'm pretty sure the tv show Fear Factor has used samples from the album.

Gaspode_T

You guys are crazy for hating on Khaos Legions...it's a guitar focused CD, showcasing melodic guitar...drums take a back seat, melodies are well written and songs are catchy/obviously made for concerts. Favorite track is City of the Dead

Sounds like mature Arch Enemy/In Flames CD will never please some people...reminds me so much of video game fanboys...all I know is something snapped in me when I saw a bunch of kids half my age at an In Flames concert listening to Dethklok and fist bumping each other before the show...because of that I have given up worrying about old versus new school, just go with the flow and be glad that metal is popular at all...for a while I thought basically 100% of kids would start listening to 50 Cent/Kanye and nothing else. (P.S. some kids at Dethklok concert shouting "you suck" at Converge was definitely NOT cool)

Leunam

Has there been anything else released from the new In Flames album? I heard that one song that they released like two weeks ago and it wasn't very good. :(

Leunam said:
Has there been anything else released from the new In Flames album? I heard that one song that they released like two weeks ago and it wasn't very good. :(

Briefly looked for some new tracks before and didn't see anything. I thought the new song was okay, nothing spectacular by any means. Still hope the upcoming album will be solid.

Azuran

Banned
Just started listening to melodic death metal and I absolutely love it. At The Gates, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Wintersun, and Children of Bodom (they're melodeath right?) are quickly becoming some of my favorite bands.

Any other melodeath bands or songs that I should listen too? I'll pretty much listen to anything as long as it's good.

Thanks in advance guys.

maxxpower

yacobod said:

WHO
WHO
WHO

Beneath the Remains is easily the most riff packed album I have ever listened to, though The Chasm's last two albums might have a thing to say about that.

For the Dream Theater/Prog Metal fans in here (most likely the few of you heh), Dream Theater has revealed the new album with track list and date, with a world tour to follow:

Link

Album Name: A Dramatic Turn of Events Releases September 13th

Track List:

1. On the Backs of Angels

2. Build Me Up, Break Me Down

3. Lost Not Forgotten

4. This is the Life

5. The Shaman’s Trance

6. Outcry

7. Far From Heaven

8. Breaking All Illusions

9. Beneath The Surface

Cant wait for the new album and interested to see if the absence of Portnoy will have a change of sound direction.

Azuran said:
Just started listening to melodic death metal and I absolutely love it. At The Gates, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Wintersun, and Children of Bodom (they're melodeath right?) are quickly becoming some of my favorite bands.

Any other melodeath bands or songs that I should listen too? I'll pretty much listen to anything as long as it's good.

Thanks in advance guys.

Arch Enemy. I'd skip the latest release though.

Azuran said:

Thanks in advance guys.
Mors Principium Est is pretty good. Also, Nightrage (the first and the second album are really good, btw on the first album it was At the Gates' lead singer on vocals!), Arch Enemy until the "Wages of Sin" era. After that it became lame.

It's really a pitty. Arch Enemy recorded one of my favorites albums ever, Stigmata, it is incredible. But after Angela got into the band it got worse and worse. Wages of Sin was a very solid album, but after that... damn :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom