• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackheim

Azuran said:
Just started listening to melodic death metal and I absolutely love it. At The Gates, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Wintersun, and Children of Bodom (they're melodeath right?) are quickly becoming some of my favorite bands.

Any other melodeath bands or songs that I should listen too? I'll pretty much listen to anything as long as it's good.

Thanks in advance guys.

I don't have a whole lot of MeloDeath but, since you like In Flames (I'm assuming early to mid period) then you'd more than likely dig Eucharist:
Eucharist - A Velvet Creation [The Predictable End]

Carcass isn't MeloDeath, AtG seems to have taken a few cues from them though I think so I'll recommend the Album Heartwork [Heartwork] to you just in case you haven't heard them yet.

maxxpower

Azuran said:
Just started listening to melodic death metal and I absolutely love it. At The Gates, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Wintersun, and Children of Bodom (they're melodeath right?) are quickly becoming some of my favorite bands.

Any other melodeath bands or songs that I should listen too? I'll pretty much listen to anything as long as it's good.

Thanks in advance guys.

Dark Lunacy, specially their last album "The Diarist".

Blackheim said:
Carcass isn't MeloDeath, AtG seems to have taken a few cues from them though I think so I'll recommend the Album Heartwork [Heartwork] to you just in case you haven't heard them yet.

I wouldn't call Carcass a melodic death band either. However, Heartwork certainly is melodic death and it's one of the best albums in the genre (and an amazing album). So definitely give Heartwork a listen.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I'm going to get crucified by the rest of Black Metal-GAF for this, but until a couple days ago, I'd never heard Emperor's In The Nightside Eclipse.

Holy fuck, best BM album ever.

Aske

Seraphis Cain said:
So I'm going to get crucified by the rest of Black Metal-GAF for this, but until a couple days ago, I'd never heard Emperor's In The Nightside Eclipse.

Technically Funeral Mist's Salvation is the best BM album ever, but Eclipse is definitely up there. Did you hear the original, or the remaster? The intro track was originally a part of 'Into the Infinity of Thoughts', and was only edited into a separate track when the album was remastered. So weird to hear the song without the minute long build up, but by now it's probably better known than the original cut.

Lard

Banned
For anyone who doesn't know yet - Nightingale (One of Dan Swano's many bands) are going to be playing Progfest 2012 in Ohio.

Secks4Food said:
Since it's E3 and all, I was learning about some new upcoming games, one of which is a little xbox live arcade game call Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet . Apparently, it's going to feature music by Dimmu Borgir in the cinematics. Here's what they have to say about it on the game's blog:

http://michelgagne.blogspot.com/2010/09/dimmu-borgir.html

That blog post was made ages ago, but the game is coming out pretty soon, so I figured I'd post it. Pretty cool, I can't think of a single video game that features black metal, not even a guitar hero game or something.

Brutal Legend had at least one. Frost/Loke by Enslaved. I don't really remember; forgettable game. I hadn't heard that about DB being in ITSP, though. Very cool.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Lard said:
For anyone who doesn't know yet - Nightingale (One of Dan Swano's many bands) are going to be playing Progfest 2012 in Ohio.

I wish Dan would come to Australia. I don't even care which side-project it is as they're all amazing.

Blackheim

Don't know how many fans of Anal Cunt there are here but, Seth Putnam died today. Well, sometime Saturday since it's now Sunday...

ANAL CUNT's publicist, Kim Kelly of Catharsis PR, has confirmed via Twitter that the band's frontman, Seth Putnam, died earlier today (Saturday, June 11) of a suspected heart attack. He was 43 years old.

Article

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Blackheim said:
Don't know how many fans of Anal Cunt there are here but, Seth Putnam died today. Well, sometime Saturday since it's now Sunday...

Article
Goddamn that fucking sucks. He obviously had a "live hard, die fast" lifestyle, but 43 is still too young.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Seraphis Cain said:

Unless you confessed that you love christian metal, we would've crucified you in the name of Burzum.

N4Us

Blackheim said:

Article

Bahhh. May have been the most hateful person ever but now the world seems emptier without his shenanigans.

I always got a crack out of that one Impaled Northern Moonforest track where he coughs violently halfway through.

Aske

N4Us said:
Bahhh. May have been the most hateful person ever but now the world seems emptier without his shenanigans.

I always got a crack out of that one Impaled Northern Moonforest track where he coughs violently halfway through.

Everyone who listens to or hates Black Metal should watch this:

Return of the Necrowizard

Best 'drum' sound ever.

Also not a million miles away from serious bands like Veles.

Seanspeed

Banned
Azuran said:

Thanks in advance guys.
Equilibrium. Seriously, best melodeath band ever. Think In Flames at their very best(Jester Race era), but even better. They have a bit more of a black-metal vibe with the vocals, which I like a lot. Fantastic riffs and a very rhythmic drummer. The new album, Rekreatur, isn't as good, though.

Wurzelbert - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtM9QiCNdLQ

Blut im Auge - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q1ghIds88s

I'll check out Wintersun. Haven't heard them yet.

Hellcrow

Azuran said:

Thanks in advance guys.

Insomnium
Kalmah
Amorphis
Scar Symmetry
Soilwork

All excellent bands from Sweden and Finnland!

Gvaz

Banned
bounchfx said:
check out Paracletus by Deathspell Omega. It's fucking great.
They have a new cd? Nice.

Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice and Kénôse were pretty great last time I checked them out.

ruuk

A new Machine Head song has hit Youtube and iTunes. It's called The Locust. After the band delivered what I'd consider to be the best straight up thrash album of the last decade (The Blackening for those of you who haven't been enlightened) I've been counting the days till their next release (due in September). Here's a taste of what's to come.

As they did with Halo last time around, I'm guessing they're probably putting their most radio-friendly track out there first.

bounchfx

Gvaz said:
They have a new cd? Nice.

Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice and Kénôse were pretty great last time I checked them out.

wait.. how long has it been for you exactly? the one right before paracletus is incredible too, Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum. They have a different feel to each other, but both are great.

Seanspeed said:
Equilibrium. Seriously, best melodeath band ever. Think In Flames at their very best(Jester Race era), but even better. They have a bit more of a black-metal vibe with the vocals, which I like a lot. Fantastic riffs and a very rhythmic drummer. The new album, Rekreatur, isn't as good, though.

Equilibrium are awesome. They have some really off the wall tracks too, such as Unbesiegt off of Sagas, which really reminds me of Donkey Kong Country. Really off the wall cool folky melodic death metal.

Gvaz said:
I love black metal but I've been way out of the loop lately, what big names have released new albums recently?

Paracletus is great

2009-2011:
Nokturnal Mortum - The Voice of Steel! Listen to this, it's great
Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit
Immortal -All Shall Fall
Melechesh - The Epigenesis
Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue With the Stars
Ihsahn - After (prog metal with a touch of black metal)
<code> - Resplendent Grotesque
Shining - VI Klagopsalmer
Deströyer 666- Defiance
Anaal Nathrakh - In the Constellation of the Black Widow
The Ruins of Beverast - Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite

If you've been out of the loop longer, quick list of 2007-2008:
Shining - V - Halmstad. Amazing album, much better than VI or VII
Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters
Lifelover - Konkurs/Erotik
Darkspace - Darkspace II
Rotting Christ - Theogonia
ColdWorld - Melancholie²
Anaal Nathrakh - Hell Is Empty, and All the Devils Are Here

Edit: Forgot Deathspell Omega - Fas – Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum and Veritas Diaboli Manet in Aeternum: Chaining the Katechon (EP)

:O Diabolus Absconditus is being released as an EP, outside of the Crushing the Holy Trinity? Anyone know where to get it?

Seanspeed said:

equilibrium was really awesome on their first two albums, the latest one is pretty meh thanks to the vocalist (i think?) leaving

This quote isn't exactly new, but I haven't seen it posted before. It's about the upcoming Mastodon album, grabbed from Wikipedia:

Speaking to AOL's Noisecreep, drummer Brann Dailor described the new material as not so much proggy as riff-oriented and "a little more stripped down," akin to that of Leviathan (2004) and "like a really super-heavy Led Zeppelin or something."

like a really super-heavy Led Zeppelin or something

super-heavy Led Zeppelin

oh. god. yes.

Gvaz

Banned
bounchfx said:
wait.. how long has it been for you exactly? the one right before paracletus is incredible too, Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum. They have a different feel to each other, but both are great.
Prolly since 2009 or so?

The only albums I've heard in OmegaDragon's list at the moment are the Shining, WITTR, and Darkspace albums.

Will check back on the others though, I enjoy all those other bands. Except for Code, Destroyer, and the ruins of beverast which I've never heard of before.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Mr. Paer said:
This quote isn't exactly new, but I haven't seen it posted before. It's about the upcoming Mastodon album, grabbed from Wikipedia:

oh. god. yes.

What fucking hubris by such a terrible band.

61s5FBRP2OL._SL500_SS130_.jpg

61wgfz9%2BdlL._SL500_SS130_.jpg

These albums/bands are the closest I've gotten to enjoying melodeath. Should I stick with the rest of their discography? What else can I try?

ShaneB

ChoklitReign said:

These albums/bands are the closest I've gotten to enjoying melodeath. Should I stick with the rest of their discography? What else can I try?

I'm no expert on Amon Amarth, so others will have to chime in with their opinions.

As for Children of Bodom, you'll see mixed opinions. I absolutely love most of their stuff, minus the album 'Are You Dead Yet?', that was god awful. The albums 'Hatebreeder' and 'Follow the Reaper' are perfection, so yeah, check those albums out at least.

As for a couple random thrashy melodeath suggestions, I'll mention Allegaeon www.myspace.com/allegaeon

And Sylosis.... www.myspace.com/sylosis

Also, you should like Arsis. www.myspace.com/arsis

ChoklitReign said:

Both are great bands. Bodom's discography is amazing on a technical level and their covers are pretty cool too. People say Blooddrunk is a bad album but it I quite enjoy it.

Amon Amrth's "Vs. the World" album is pretty cool. Death in Fire was what got me to get it.

As for other bands, you might like Norther's "Death Unlimited" album. I can't vouch for their earlier albums. Their singer, Petri Lindroos, has since left to front the viking/folk metal band Ensiferum if you liked his vocals.

RDreamer

ChoklitReign said:

I'm not really a big Amon Amarth listener, but I do like CoB. Honestly, though, Reckless Relentless Forever was kind of blah to me, so you'll probably love some of their other stuff. Follow the Reaper and Hate Crew Deathroll are amazing albums to me. Their older ones are pretty decent, too, and the newer ones are alright also (I kind of like Are You Dead Yet?). But you do HAVE to check out those 2 if you like Reckless.

As for other stuff, check out In Flames, Soilwork, and Dark Tranquility. For In Flames my favorite is Clayman, but others will say go for The Jester Race. For Soilwork you cannot go wrong with Natural Born Chaos, and for Dark Tranquility go with Damage Done. All of these are amazing albums.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
ChoklitReign said:

Listen to Be'lakor. They are the best melodeath band ever.

ChoklitReign said:

In terms of Amon Amarth, most people will tell you that either Once Sent from the Golden Hall or With Oden on Our Side are their best albums. Both are really awesome, with Once Sent being more raw and WOoOS being more polished. My personal faves are WOoOS and Twilight of the Thunder God.

As for CoB, I really only like Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper. If you like both of those and can stand some very interesting female vocals from Kim Goss, I suggest you check out Sinergy, which has some of Alexi Laiho's best guitar work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS7VP4EBAB8

Also, thanks to whoever pointed out Be'lakor, I'm digging 'em!

Seanspeed

Banned
RDreamer said:
For In Flames my favorite is Clayman, but others will say go for The Jester Race.
Clayman is the equivalent of Metallica's Black Album. It was a clear departure from the earlier sound and it was the transition album as they turned towards a much more commerical sound afterwards.

Granted, I like a few of the songs from Clayman from an objective standpoint, but they were NOTHING compared to what they were in their heyday. Old In Flames is classic stuff.

RDreamer

Seanspeed said:
Clayman is the equivalent of Metallica's Black Album. It was a clear departure from the earlier sound and it was the transition album as they turned towards a much more commerical sound afterwards.

Granted, I like a few of the songs from Clayman from an objective standpoint, but they were NOTHING compared to what they were in their heyday. Old In Flames is classic stuff.

That's why I said it was my favorite. I realized people would probably take a stance against that choice, especially in this thread, so I also said The Jester Race. Personally, I love all their albums, from TJR all the way through to A Sense of Purpose.

Seanspeed

Banned
RDreamer said:
That's why I said it was my favorite. I realized people would probably take a stance against that choice, especially in this thread, so I also said The Jester Race. Personally, I love all their albums, from TJR all the way through to A Sense of Purpose.
Hey, I'm a metalcore fan, so my opinions are hardly gonna matter much in a thread like this, but I just wanted to put out there the change that occured with In Flames for anybody reading the thread, especially the person who was looking for good melodic death stuff.

I wasn't trying to put down your opinion, necessarily.

Lard

Banned
Just out of curiosity, is anyone going to Heavy TO or Heavy MTL?

The lineup for Heavy TO is:

* Sat July 23rd
o Megadeth
o Anthrax
o Motörhead
o The Sword
o DevilDriver
o Children Of Bodom
o As I Lay Dying
o Times of GraceTimes of Grace
o UnderoathUnderoath
o Opeth
o Diamond Head
o Endast

*Sunday, Jul 24
o Rob Zombie
o Billy Talent
o Slayer
o Mastodon
o Testament
o Anvil
o Baptized in Blood
o Melissa Auf der Maur
o Volbeat
o Exodus
o Death Angel
o Dead and Divine

Really want to see Slayer, as I've never seen them, but the rest of the Sunday lineup is meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom