• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackheim

Got the 3 Disc version of Death's 'Human' 20th anniversary reissue, #550 of 2000.

hJWmS.jpg

Lack of Comprehension

Together As One

It sounds amazing to me. The mix is a bit different but, reading the liner notes it's because Sony lost the final mix masters heh.

Blackheim said:
Got the 3 Disc version of Death's 'Human' 20th anniversary reissue, #550 of 2000.

hJWmS.jpg

Lack of Comprehension

Together As One

It sounds amazing to me. The mix is a bit different but, reading the liner notes it's because Sony lost the final mix masters heh.

shit, what label? I've got both the original pressings on CD, cassette and vinyl. I'm curious to hear what this re-issue sounds like....if DiGiorgio's bass is even audible.

New In Flames album is patchy.

Very sing songy in places.

The next Opeth album sounds. . .strange. Apparently there are no death growls on it at all and it is more of a Jazz fusion album.

Blackheim

Giant Robot said:
shit, what label? I've got both the original pressings on CD, cassette and vinyl. I'm curious to hear what this re-issue sounds like....if DiGiorgio's bass is even audible.

Relapse

The YT links above are for remastered versions of those songs. You can hear his bass now :p

Blackheim said:
Relapse

The YT links above are for remastered versions of those songs. You can hear his bass now :p

holy shit. Even at the super compressed YT link, the bass lines are damn audible. Vocals sound more separated from the mix too and everything else sounds less muted overall. I'm going to try and find this at my local record store on my lunch break. Thanks for the heads up!

Blackheim

Haha yeah, Jim Morris did a pretty damned good job. Very much a more coherent final mix that still retains the aggression of the music, I'm very pleased with how it turned out :D

As far as I know, the 3 disc version is a Relapse web store exclusive if that matters to you...
The 3rd disc isn't a big deal really, a bunch of really rough demos so unless you're a diehard or completionist, you won't be missing much if you get the 2 disc version instead.

Tracklist said:
Disc 1: (classic remixed and remastered "Human" album)

01. Flattening Of Emotions
02. Suicide Machine
03. Together As One
04. Secret Face
05. Lack Of Comprehension
06. See Through Dreams
07. Cosmic Sea
08. Vacant Planets
09. God Of Thunder (Bonus Track)

Disc 2:

10. Flattening Of Emotions (Basic Instrumental Studio Tracks)
11. Suicide Machine (Basic Instrumental Studio Tracks)
12. Together As One (Basic Instrumental Studio Tracks)
13. Secret Face (Basic Instrumental Studio Tracks)
14. Secret Face - Part 2 (Basic Instrumental Studio Tracks)
15. Lack Of Comprehension (Basic Instrumental Studio Tracks)
16. "Felt Good" - Studio Snippet
17. See Through Dreams (Basic Instrumental Studio Tracks)
18. See Through Dreams - Part 2 (Basic Instrumental Studio Tracks)
19. Vacant Planets (Basic Instrumental Studio Tracks)
20. Cosmic Sea (Basic Instrumental Studio Tracks)
21. Cosmic Sea Part 2 (Basic Instrumental Studio Tracks)
22. God Of Thunder (Basic Instrumental Studio Tracks)
23. Flattening Of Emotions ("Human" Demos)
24. Lack Of Comprehension ("Human" Demos)
25. Suicide Machine ("Human" Demos)
26. Together As One ("Human" Demos)
27. See Through Dreams ("Human" Demos)
28. Secret Face (Instrumental - "Human" Demos)
29. Vacant Planets (Instrumental - "Human" Demos)

Disc 3:

30. See Through Dreams (w/ Paul and Sean) (Rehearsal January, 1991)
31. See Through Dreams (Take 2) (w/ Paul and Sean) (Rehearsal January, 1991)
32. Secret Face (w/o Paul - 1/2 song) (Rehearsal January, 1991)
33. Secret Face (Take 2) (w/o Paul) (Rehearsal January, 1991)
34. Secret Face - Riffs (Rehearsal January, 1991)
35. Flattening Of Emotions (Riffs) (Rehearsal January, 1991)
36. Lack Of Comprehension (Riffs) (Rehearsal January, 1991)
37. Lack Of Comprehension (Take 2) (Riffs) (Rehearsal January, 1991)
38. Cosmic Sea (Riffs w/ Drum Machine) (Rehearsal January, 1991)
39. See Through Dreams (Rehearsal August, 1990)
40. Suicide Machine (Rehearsal August, 1990)
41. Together As One (Rehearsal August, 1990)
42. Suicide Machine (Drum & Bass Tracks)
43. Together As One (Drum & Bass Tracks)
44. Secret Face (Drum & Bass Tracks)
45. Lack Of Comprehension (Drum & Bass Tracks)
46. Vacant Planets (Drum & Bass Tracks)
47. Flattening Of Emotions (Drum & Bass Tracks)
48. See Through Dreams (Drum & Bass Tracks)
49. Cosmic Sea (Drum & Bass Tracks)

Hesemonni

Banned
Whatever happened to that Death tribute album James Murphy was doing few years ago? I though they had a bunch of songs recorded and I think Mikael from Opeth was there doing Pull the Plug.

Flynn

Witchfinder General said:
I'm listening to the stream now. Nice, very nice, although a bit sparse with the vocals. I might just preorder the vinyl.

I dig it too. I don't mind the sparse vocals since we got plenty of that on Adrift.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Flynn said:
I dig it too. I don't mind the sparse vocals since we got plenty of that on Adrift.

I listened to the whole thing and it's damn fine album. I've ordered the album on vinyl and they already provided me with a FLAC copy of the album so I can listen to that in the mean time. That's how you do business.

Blackheim said:
Haha yeah, Jim Morris did a pretty damned good job. Very much a more coherent final mix that still retains the aggression of the music, I'm very pleased with how it turned out :D

As far as I know, the 3 disc version is a Relapse web store exclusive if that matters to you...
The 3rd disc isn't a big deal really, a bunch of really rough demos so unless you're a diehard or completionist, you won't be missing much if you get the 2 disc version instead.

I just picked up the 2 disc version.
I am blown away by the remaster. It literally breathes new life into the already classic album. There's a shit ton of drum fills from Reinert that i never even knew about and makes total sense now that I've recently seen some old Human drum footage. And it's a blessing to hear DiGiorgio's bass lines throughout. Tons of crisp details all around. Album sounds even more brutal without taking anything away. The demos are fucking awesome too. I kind of wish I got the 3 disc version so I can hear how lame the Bill Andrews/Terry Butler takes are.

Reading through the liner notes, some facts of kind of insane. Sean Reinert and Paul Masvidal were 18 when they started recording Human. True virtuoso's. Sean and Steve both recorded their parts in one live take!

This album still crushes and blows most anything recent out of the water. The drumming is fucking frightening fast still. This shit is 20 years old now!

viewtifulsub said:
So i've been on a blackened thrash kick lately. Destroyer 666, Dissection, Aura Noir, Ketzer. I need more riffs. Any suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg-Kva94R7Q

DESASTER!
This is the first thing that comes to mind. Pure catchy thrash riffs
Desaster - Disciples of Darkness
Desaster - Tyrants of the Netherworld
Desaster - In The Ban of Satan's Sorcery
Desaster - Metalized Blood

USURPER
I don't think there's any band out there that does more "Ughhhs", "Yeaaah", "All right", "Uuuuuaaahhhhhh"
Usurper - Incubus Breed

Nifelheim
Nifelheim - Black Curse

Mefisto
Some technical thrashy/black stuff in 1986! Guy is as good as the Coroner guitarist.
Mefisto - Hunting High, Die

A little bit more on the black/death side ala' Dissection

Sacramentum
Sacramentum - Obsolete Tears

Dawn
Dawn - The Knell and the World

Raise Hell
Raise Hell - Raise The Devil

RDreamer

I have to say thanks to anyone in this thread who has mentioned Septicflesh and their newest album, The Great Mass. I checked it out the other day because of that, and I think it's awesome. I also listened to Communion, and that was great, too. I'll definitely be checking out more of the band.

I also started listening to Be'lakor the other day, and they're an awesome find, too. If you're into melodeath, then I recommend them.

Also listened to the new In Flames. It's not bad. I think it's a bit better than I had expected without Jesper. It does seem a bit generic, though, but there are a few decent tunes on there. I might really like it after a few more listens. Who knows.

Flynn

Giant Robot said:
DESASTER!
This is the first thing that comes to mind. Pure catchy thrash riffs
Desaster - Disciples of Darkness
Desaster - Tyrants of the Netherworld
Desaster - In The Ban of Satan's Sorcery
Desaster - Metalized Blood

USURPER
I don't think there's any band out there that does more "Ughhhs", "Yeaaah", "All right", "Uuuuuaaahhhhhh"
Usurper - Incubus Breed

Nifelheim
Nifelheim - Black Curse

Mefisto
Some technical thrashy/black stuff in 1986! Guy is as good as the Coroner guitarist.
Mefisto - Hunting High, Die

A little bit more on the black/death side ala' Dissection

Sacramentum
Sacramentum - Obsolete Tears

Dawn
Dawn - The Knell and the World

Raise Hell
Raise Hell - Raise The Devil

Am I totally off base, or does Skeletonwitch count as blackened thrash?

Melchiah

viewtifulsub said:
So i've been on a blackened thrash kick lately. Destroyer 666, Dissection, Aura Noir, Ketzer. I need more riffs. Any suggestions?

Mentioning Destroyer 666 reminds me of a funny, and true, story I heard a some time ago. The singer of D666 met Black Winds, the vocalist of Blasphemy, at Wacken Open air, and asked him, "Why do you have a n***er in you band?", to which Black Winds replied by hitting the guy with a beer glass/bottle in the head. Served him right.

New Mastodon song tomorrow!

From their facebook page:

"Tomorrow, adultswim.com will have an unreleased Mastodon song “Deathbound” available as a download, and will premiere the amazing video for it as well. Don’t miss it!"

Not sure if it's from the new album or not, but probably since there's going to be a video

Fuck yeah

Gaspode_T

Septic flesh were amazing live but they didn't play any of my favorite songs, they stuck to mostly the br00tul ones

I picked up the special edition of In Flames CD, have only listened to it 3 times but I'm liking it a lot so far. Cry to your whambulance all you want about them changing, but I respect the hell out of them for doing what they want to do when it comes to song writing.

abunai

Mr. Paer said:
New Mastodon song tomorrow!

From their facebook page:

"Tomorrow, adultswim.com will have an unreleased Mastodon song “Deathbound” available as a download, and will premiere the amazing video for it as well. Don’t miss it!"

Not sure if it's from the new album or not, but probably since there's going to be a video

Fuck yeah

Here's the video.
I think it's the best thing I've ever seen.

strafer

Hi there,

I could really need some tips on good Melodic Death Metal.

These are the ones that I know of so far.

Arch Enemy
Both Johan and Angela are great.

Dark Tranquillity
Have listened to all of the albums and all of them are awesome.

Children of Bodom
Hatebreed, Follow the Reaper & Hate Crew Deathroll, three awesome albums. Since then they have lost their touch.

Carcass
Heartwork and Swansong, sweet guitarplaying for my ears.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Strafer said:
Hi there,

Arch Enemy

Dark Tranquillity

Children of Bodom
Hatebreed, Follow the Reaper & Hate Crew Deathroll, three awesome albums. Since then they have lost their touch.

Carcass

How about melodic black/death?

Dissection - A Land Forlorn
Dissection - Thorns of Crimson Death

and the Dawn/Sacramentum links i posted above.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Flynn said:
Am I totally off base, or does Skeletonwitch count as blackened thrash?

Blackened melo-death with some thrash thrown in. They're a fucking mess of a band, trying to do too much with so little. Their music is completely void of substance; a concoction of modern metal trying too hard to be a throwback, resulting in nothing but forgettable, vapid hooks. Nothing better than background or driving metal, which I can appreciate at times.

Gaspode_T

Strafer said:
Hi there,

Arch Enemy

Dark Tranquillity

Children of Bodom

Carcass

I think it's already been discussed in this thread a few pages back but based upon your comments here...I would recommend Soilwork, In Flames, Disarmonia Mundi, Darkane, At The Gates, Arsis, Black Dahlia Murder, Callenish Circle, Old Man's Child.

Flynn

Phobophile said:
Blackened melo-death with some thrash thrown in. They're a fucking mess of a band, trying to do too much with so little. Their music is completely void of substance; a concoction of modern metal trying too hard to be a throwback, resulting in nothing but forgettable, vapid hooks. Nothing better than background or driving metal, which I can appreciate at times.

I have to say they're A BLAST live. But you're right about the substance -- it is kind of telling when Chance starts every live song with "SMOKE WEED, EAT PUSSY, DRINK BEER!"

Azuran

Banned
Strafer said:
Hi there,

Arch Enemy

Dark Tranquillity

Children of Bodom

Carcass

At the Gates. Slaughter of the Soul is a MUST listen.

abunai said:
Here's the video.
I think it's the best thing I've ever seen.
This is fucking awesome

Also turns out it's a track from when they were doing Crack the Skye. Sounds nothing like anything from that album though, but the song is still fucking cool

jmdajr

Strafer said:
Hi there,

Arch Enemy

Dark Tranquillity

Children of Bodom

Carcass

In Flames- Jester Race, Whoracle, Colony, Clayman. Some of the best shit ever.
Back then the band could do no wrong even though I have accepted their new sound.
Actually think Soundtrack to Your Escape is an amazing album/

Strafer said:
Hi there,

Arch Enemy

Dark Tranquillity

Children of Bodom

Carcass

Going in a slightly less extreme direction than some posters, I'll suggest:

Ensiferum
Norther
Suidakra
Amon Amarth

May be a long shot, but I figured I'd throw some names out there.

ShaneB

Strafer said:
Hi there,

Arch Enemy

Dark Tranquillity

Children of Bodom

Carcass

I'll mention a few bands that don't get mentioned much when it comes to recommendations, but I have mentioned them a few times here, love to spread the word.

Climatic Terra. You mention Arch Enemy and Carcass, their album 'Earth Pollution' is basically Arch Enemy saying, fuck it, let's make an album that sounds like Carcass. You'll love it.

Sylosis Thrashy melodeath, terrific stuff. New album 'Edge of the Earth' is a monster of an album.

Arsis Tech melodeath, guitar wizardry and riffs a plenty. Earlier albums are pretty chaotic and off the board, newer albums are a bit more refined. All are awesome. They did get mentioned a few posts ago, but they're too good to not mention again.

Allegaeon Thrashy melodeath, their album 'Fragments of Form and Function' was pretty much my album of the year last year in terms of suprises, so damn good.

Nightrage New album coming out soon that I can't wait for, and all of their albums are solid.

Bah, that's enough for now.

Doomshine

Account finally approved! I've been reading this thread a lot so it's nice to finally be able to participate.

I've been listening to the latest Pagan's Mind album, Heavenly Ecstacy, lately and I like it a lot.

ysljg.jpg

I think it's better than God's Equation which I thought was a bit disappointing, but Enigmatic : Calling was amazing so I may have had unrealistic expectations.

Anyway, I can't get Intermission out of my head, so damn catchy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMS9JZQKSA8

ShaneB

Doomshine said:
Account finally approved! I've been reading this thread a lot so it's nice to finally be able to participate.

I've been listening to the latest Pagan's Mind album, Heavenly Ecstacy, lately and I like it a lot.

ysljg.jpg

I think it's better than God's Equation which I thought was a bit disappointing, but Enigmatic : Calling was amazing so I may have had unrealistic expectations.

Anyway, I can't get Intermission out of my head, so damn catchy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMS9JZQKSA8

Welcome!! I remember how long I had waited, so I know the feeling, nice to finally be able to hit "reply".

Share similar thoughts. Heavenly Ecstasy is awesome, God's Equation had its moments, and Enigmatic: Calling rules for sure.

My favourite track from HE is probably 'Live Your Life Like a Dream', love that chorus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom