• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
jmdajr said:
Actually think Soundtrack to Your Escape is an amazing album/

As do I. Evil in a Closet melted my face the first time I heard it. That album was a great mix of that Gothenburg sound, more synth with a touch more heavy.

Gaspode_T

Dream Theater song sounds pretty much like what I thought it would, Jordan going pretty crazy with keyboards LOL, ~5:10 to 5:20 is pretty awesome

I got to see their last show with Mike?? :( Summer Sonic 2010...but glad to see they are moving forward to I can keep seeing them in concert. Basically my favorite band.

Gaspode_T

Listening to In flames CD several times now and I think it's very good, slightly more like Come Clarity than Sense of Purpose was. Couple very hard songs in the middle surrounded by some softer songs. I think they are getting better at songwriting believe it or not. This is one of the few melo death CDs I want to recommend to my friends who normally hate death metal vocals.

Lard

Banned
Napalm Death is touring Canada in the fall.

Oct. 03 - Kingston, ON - Time TO Laugh
Oct. 04 - Peterborough, ON - Red Dog
Oct. 05 - Windsor, ON - Blind Dog
Oct. 06 - London, ON - Music Hall
Oct. 07 - Toronto, ON - WreckRoom
Oct. 08 - Sudbury, ON - Jubilee Hall
Oct. 09 - Ottawa, ON - Mavericks
Oct. 10 - [to be announced]
Oct. 11 - Moncton, NB - The Manhattan
Oct. 12 - Halifax, NS - The Seahorse
Oct. 13 - Rimouski, QC - Cactus
Oct. 14 - Trois Rivieres, QC - Trois Rivieres Metal Fest - Batissse Industrielle
Oct. 15 - [to be announced]
Oct. 16 - Thunder Bay, ON - Crocks
Oct. 17 - Winnipeg, MB - The Royal Albert

More shows will be added.

jmdajr

Galvanise_ said:
As do I. Evil in a Closet melted my face the first time I heard it. That album was a great mix of that Gothenburg sound, more synth with a touch more heavy.

To me Soundtrack was what they wanted Reroute to Remain to sound like but they weren't there just yet. Come Clarity is trying to mix new with the old, and I liked it overall.

And then Sense Of Purpose is yet a whole new turn. While the vocal melodies and all that are far more perfected, it's not as heavy as before. And that's also ok, because not everything I listen has to be heavy as fuck.... But I will never get that "oh my god what is this!" feeling like when I heard those early albums. Being that Whoracle was my first in flames album, the anticipation for albums like Colony and Clayman were just insane. And time and time again I was floored. Don't quite have that same feeling these days, but I still appreciate the band for trying to be the best at what they do.

Trying to decide how I feel about the new album. There is definitely some great stuff going on...

Gaspode_T said:
Listening to In flames CD several times now and I think it's very good, slightly more like Come Clarity than Sense of Purpose was. Couple very hard songs in the middle surrounded by some softer songs. I think they are getting better at songwriting believe it or not. This is one of the few melo death CDs I want to recommend to my friends who normally hate death metal vocals.

I agree that their song writing has gotten better, but I think their 'metal' song writing has got worse. They've lost that edge. The twin guitar harmonies, that gutteral scream Anders used to have, light use of synth. The contrast between the acoustic stuff and the heavier stuff was also better. Maybe that's down to album planning.

Its definitely a refinement of their sound, but it was the muddyness and strokes of genius that appealed to me.

jmdajr

Galvanise_ said:
I agree that their song writing has gotten better, but I think their 'metal' song writing has got worse. They've lost that edge. The twin guitar harmonies, that gutteral scream Anders used to have, light use of synth. The contrast between the acoustic stuff and the heavier stuff was also better. Maybe that's down to album planning.

Its definitely a refinement of their sound, but it was the muddyness and strokes of genius that appealed to me.

I guess I would use the term soft. Sometimes I think the songs are going to really cool places, and the chorus will just sort of let me down. Which is a shame because that's what In Flames pretty much always excelled at. They have always been a band that write song, songs.. and they would just kick so much ass. And to be fair, pop music can give you that high energy feel too, but I feel sometimes the songs miss the boat. I don't get that omf!

ChoklitReign said:
Hell yeah! Old school sound is back. I can't wait.

(I haven't listened to their last album, but I didn't like Train of Thought or Systematic Chaos)

Black Clouds and Silver Linings was an awesome album, imo.

TheLastCandle said:
Going in a slightly less extreme direction than some posters, I'll suggest:

Ensiferum
Norther
Suidakra
Amon Amarth

May be a long shot, but I figured I'd throw some names out there.
Do we share an almost identical taste in music? I am believing to think so with the exception that you know of far more bands than me. I love Ensiferum and Norther (Petri's vocals) and have been getting into Amon Amarth lately... I must assimilate you! :p

Gaspode_T

It's funny how the DT mix is so obviously different without Mike there, the keyboards are louder and bass is even softer than before

Most people don't care but there are some rumors flying around about who will be playing at the epic Loud Park festival in Tokyo, Japan. I hope that some of you can fly out here and support Japan with your tourism dollars. The date is decided as Oct 15th but no more details than that so far.

Unearth said they are playing in Japan in October on Twitter so people are assuming Unearth will be on the bill. Otherwise In Flames has a hole on their calendar right around the same time. I personally think Arch Enemy will be there too, maybe Megadeth/Big 4 on one of the days if they can swing it.

The guy who kind of controls metal concerts in Japan likes to mix in old with new, so half of Loud Park is always veteran bands like Judas Priest's Halford last year. This year might be Thin Lizzy

http://www.loudpark.com/11/

Blackheim

Giant Robot said:
I just picked up the 2 disc version & stuff...

Yeah, I didn't think you'd be disappointed :p Anyone who is a fan of this album should be able to get even more out of it now. It's really something else being able to hear all of the details that were brought out. Heh, some of those old demos with the other guys really don't have the personality that the album eventually ended up with, even in its original release.

Those liner notes are definitely awesome. And yeah, recording songs/tracks in one take seems to be becoming a lost art :/

yacobod said:
even on yt these sound like nice improvements.

You should get it :p It needs more buyers :D It's damned good and worth every penny!
It only sold something like 1200 copies in the first week of release, what the hell :(

Anyway, in other news, ICS Vortex has some new stuff coming out soon. Love the guy, never cared for his stint in Dimmu or that one Arcturus (the La Masquerade songs with him are awesome though) album but, his Borknagar albums and Lamented Souls are gold. New song from him/his band: The Blackmobile

Hydranockz said:
Do we share an almost identical taste in music? I am believing to think so with the exception that you know of far more bands than me. I love Ensiferum and Norther (Petri's vocals) and have been getting into Amon Amarth lately... I must assimilate you! :p

I do say, it pleases me to hear such things. My tastes tend to swing to the more melodic stuff, not to say I don't like the extreme stuff too. We can start our own club and rock out to Ensiferum, I know I'd be down! As far as assimilation goes, if TNG taught me anything it's that I should be wary of it!

Back on topic, Dream Theater were so much better with Kevin Moore in the band. I know people love to bitch about DT being pretty soulless, but IaW and Awake are anything but. I need to give the new song a listen after work today.

jmdajr

So what's up with Soilwork these days. I remember them really going places when Predators Portrait, Natural Born Chaos came out... It was almost the opposite of when In Flames changed their sound. I recall lots of positive buzz.

jmdajr said:
So what's up with Soilwork these days. I remember them really going places when Predators Portrait, Natural Born Chaos came out... It was almost the opposite of when In Flames changed their sound. I recall lots of positive buzz.

All their hype seemed to implode somewhere between Figure Number Five and Stabbing the Drama.

I really enjoy APP and NBC is even better. I always found them to be better than In Flames during that time in their respective careers.

Slappers Only

TheLastCandle said:
All their hype seemed to implode somewhere between Figure Number Five and Stabbing the Drama.

I really enjoy APP and NBC is even better. I always found them to be better than In Flames during that time in their respective careers.
Nobody needs Soilwork anymore now that we've got Disarmonia Mundi. Holy shit, that is some smart stuff.

Cheech

Galvanise_ said:

I've only listened to about half of the new In Flames, and that was about all I could stomach.

Up until now, I've loved pretty much anything they've done. But WHERE IN THE HELL ARE THE GUITAR HARMONIES???!! They seem to be buried in the mix, and just not very prominent. The solos are basically gone as well.

I could not be more disappointed. Damn it. At least I only spent the $7 at Amazon MP3, instead of the $21 uber deluxe edition I saw at fye.

Gaspode_T

Cheech said:
I've only listened to about half of the new In Flames, and that was about all I could stomach.

Up until now, I've loved pretty much anything they've done. But WHERE IN THE HELL ARE THE GUITAR HARMONIES???!! They seem to be buried in the mix, and just not very prominent. The solos are basically gone as well.

I could not be more disappointed. Damn it. At least I only spent the $7 at Amazon MP3, instead of the $21 uber deluxe edition I saw at fye.

Did you listen to Darker Times? It's pretty much a classic In Flames guitar melody...

vordhosbn

Banned
haveanicelife-deathconsciousness1.gif

This album isn't conventional 'metal' but it has seriously overwhelmed me. I'm not sure whether to classify it as black metal -- I've listened for about a year now and I'm still impressed. If you're at all interested in their sound I would appreciate similar recommendations.

RDreamer

jmdajr said:

I really still absolutely love Soilwork. I think while In Flames may overall have some of the better records, Soilwork's been far more consistent for me. I pretty much love everything they've put out (even FNF and STD). The Panic Broadcast was also really great, too.

Cheech

Gaspode_T said:
Did you listen to Darker Times? It's pretty much a classic In Flames guitar melody...

Yeah, I didn't get that far yet. I probably quit on the song directly before, heh. I will check it out today, thanks.

So I'm listening to the new HELL album, Human Remains.

This album is a pretty bizarre beast, sort of a NWOBHM/Mercyful Fate vibe and actually somewhat theatrical. So it's sort of Sabbat-esque in a way, although not old school thrash.

I really, really like the riffing and the vocals. And the production is absolutely killer, thanks to Andy Sneap, but I feel I should be enjoying this more. A pet peeve of mine has always been when songs are too long. This album is completely run amok with 7+ minute songs, and while that works for a lot of bands, the NWOBHM riff attack doesn't really seem to justify the length of some of these behemoths. The first song (On Earth as it is in Hell) is an absolute scorcher and not overlong, I just wish the majority of the rest of the album would follow suit. Still, it's pretty darn good and worth a listen. I'll give it a few more spins and maybe it will grow on me.

Gvaz

Banned
vordhosbn said:
This album isn't conventional 'metal' but it has seriously overwhelmed me. I'm not sure whether to classify it as black metal -- I've listened for about a year now and I'm still impressed. If you're at all interested in their sound I would appreciate similar recommendations.

Who is it? The cover looks ownage.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
vordhosbn said:
It's definitely not black metal — it's really not any kind of metal at all, but somehow got classified as such. It's hard to really categorize, though. There's not much else that sounds like it, but you might be interested in Giles Corey, the project of Dan Barrett, one-half of HANL. He just released his first full-length last month.

Orayn

Galvanise_ said:
Guh. That new Dream Theater song is pretty underwhelming.
Not as impressive as their best work, not not nearly as offensive as their last two albums. Still, it's nice that they've got a fresh start. To be honest, I was getting really fed up with Portnoy's lyrics, which seemed to get worse and worse.
h3nriqu3 said:
I'm looking forward to Mike Portnoy's new band Adrenaline Mob (kind of a silly name), I'm a DT fan but I like Russell Allen's vocals over James LaBrie's.
Oh shit. I did not know there was an Allen/Portnoy collaboration in the works. As a drooling fanboy of Symphony X, I'm gonna have to check this out. Russel is, in my opinion, one of the best vocalists in metal today.

vatstep said:
It's definitely not black metal — it's really not any kind of metal at all, but somehow got classified as such. It's hard to really categorize, though. There's not much else that sounds like it, but you might be interested in Giles Corey, the project of Dan Barrett, one-half of HANL. He just released his first full-length last month.
It's good music, and that's what matters. I love me some HaNL.

I have been wondering this lately: is there any metal music such as "Spartan metal" or "Gladiator metal" in the same way as there is "Viking metal" bands like Amon Amarth? Mainly is there a band that uses any of these topics? I've been curious.

Gaspode_T

Japan heavy metal industry power monger Masa Itoh continues to screw up Loud Park lineups this year with baffling combination of hard rock and death metal/metalcore. Only in Japan could this possibly work well.

http://www.loudpark.com/11/

Headliner: Whitesnake .............

Others:

Arch Enemy, The Darkness, Trivium, Unisonic, Krokus, Stryper..........

This isn't the full list, but it's still kind of disappointing as I've already seen Arch/Trivium live multiple times.

At least it gives time to take breaks for those not interested in the glam bands.

It's rumored there will be a co-headliner, hoping it's someone like Megadeth.

Aske

h3nriqu3 said:
I have been wondering this lately: is there any metal music such as "Spartan metal" or "Gladiator metal" in the same way as there is "Viking metal" bands like Amon Amarth? Mainly is there a band that uses any of these topics? I've been curious.

Listen to Demigod, by The Monolith Deathcult.

Chorazin

Man, A Pale Horse Named Death's And Hell Will Follow Me is an excellent album. I guess it's to be expected, love that Bloody Kisses era Type O sound mixed with an Alice in Chains vibe.

rObit

Banned
So I've decided to get a Born of Osiris album off of Amazon. For someone who hasn't had any of their albums, which one would be best to start with?

I've heard them here and there and really liked it, just never got around to getting an album.

Chorazin said:
Man, A Pale Horse Named Death's And Hell Will Follow Me is an excellent album. I guess it's to be expected, love that Bloody Kisses era Type O sound mixed with an Alice in Chains vibe.
It's really nice, my favorite songs from the album are "Die Alone" and "When Crows Descend Upon You".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom