• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aske said:
So I've been on a Mercyful Fate/King Diamond kick for the last few days. Love both bands, used to listen to them a ton, gave them a break for a few years, and now their albums feel pleasantly fresh again.

This has led me to contemplate the grim and ancient metal dilemma: which is the better band?

tough question, but I like King Diamond's first 4 albums better than Mercyful Fate's first 2 albums. MF is classic metal and a different pace, where KD had a lot more dynamics and a bit more virtuosic. Mikkey Dee and LaRaoque together is enough reason that i prefer KD over MF

Azuran

Banned
You know, I just realized I need some more thrash in my library. Less than 300 songs is not gonna cut it anymore. I need some recommendations to expand that. More particularly, I'm looking for stuff similar to Kreator, Dark Angel, and Destruction.

Here's what I already have just to make your life easier:

Annihilator, Anthrax, Celtic Frost, Coroner, Dark Angel, Death Angel, Destruction, Exodus, Flotsam and Jetsam, Kreator, Megadeth, Metal Church, Metallica, Overkill, Sepultura, Slayer, Sodom, Testament, Venom, and Voivod.

New or old, I don't care. I'll listen to everything.

Azuran said:
You know, I just realized I need some more thrash in my library. Less than 300 songs is not gonna cut it anymore. I need some recommendations to expand that. More particularly, I'm looking for stuff similar to Kreator, Dark Angel, and Destruction.

Here's what I already have just to make your life easier:

Annihilator, Anthrax, Celtic Frost, Coroner, Dark Angel, Death Angel, Destruction, Exodus, Flotsam and Jetsam, Kreator, Megadeth, Metal Church, Metallica, Overkill, Sepultura, Slayer, Sodom, Testament, Venom, and Voivod.

New or old, I don't care. I'll listen to everything.

Hypnosia - Comatose
Hypnosia - The Last Remains
Hypnosia - The Storms
Unfortunately Hypnosia only made 1 full length and 1 EP :(

Demolition Hammer - Skull Fracturing Nightmare
Demolition Hammer - Human Dissection

Evildead - Annihilation of Civilization
Evildead - Sloe Death

Assassin - Abstract War

Morbid Saint - Assassin

Onslaught - Fight With The Beast

Atrophy - Puppies and Friends
Atrophy - Preacher, Preacher

Razor - Edge of the Razor

Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare
Vio-Lence - Torture Tactics

Sadus - Certain Death
Sadus - Man Infestation

Sabbat - The Clerical Conspiracy

Vektor - Black Future

Dekapitator - Release The Dogs
Dekapitator - One Shot, One Kill
Matt and Col's (from Exhumed) thrash band. Total Exodus ripoff. Fun silly fistbanging stuff.

there's about a thousand riffs to digest in all of this.

Fleet_of_Foot said:
I'd love some recommendations because I've got $30 Amazon credit burning a hole in my virtual pocket.

Bands I love (have all their albums already):
  • Porcupine Tree
  • Opeth
  • Symphony X
  • Agalloch
  • Ghost (they only have one album but I love it)

I like melodic metal. I like good vocals and good production.

I'd really recommend Pain of Salvation (prog metal/rock)
Paradise Lost
Not metal but The Devil's Blood, sounds a bit like Ghost.

Melchiah

wspIj.jpg

COJAk.jpg

q5OqO.jpg

jmdajr

So what are the up and coming metal trends these days? Kind of lost track after metalcore/new wave of american heavy metal/trend

Is folk metal still what's getting hot?

Checked out some Alestorm. Good times!

edit: holy shit they are playing Houston! C O O L

Therion fans.

I used to be into this band but after mutliple CD refreshes and Ipod wipes, I cannot for the life of me remember the good albums. Its been at least 4 years.

I can't even remember my favourite albums.

Which are the sexy ones?

Lets talk about Testament for a while!

They are so amazing but soooooo underrated!! I honestly believe they should be up there with Metallica, Megadeth, and Slayer!!

All of their ballads; The Ballad, The Legacy, Return to Serenity, and Trail of Tears(I think I'm forgetting one?) are so great! Metallica is my favorite band w/ Fade to Black being one of my favorite ballads, but I'll make a bold statement and say Testament's rivals, even surpasses it in various ways.

From The Legacy to The Ritual you can see the natural progression of talent from the band!

Low is still great, but Demonic takes a strange downturn.

But they come back with The Gathering and nearly 10 years later, Formation of Damnation marks an awesome return for the band.

Cant wait for their next album!!

And Alex Skolnick, he is just a talented bastard!!

jmdajr

Galvanise_ said:
Therion fans.

I used to be into this band but after mutliple CD refreshes and Ipod wipes, I cannot for the life of me remember the good albums. Its been at least 4 years.

Which are the sexy ones?

I always figured Theli was the best. It's the album which created the Therion sound.

Chorazin

jmdajr said:
So what are the up and coming metal trends these days? Kind of lost track after metalcore/new wave of american heavy metal/trend

While I hate "trends", Folk Metal is popular these days, but there aren't a ton of new bands stepping into the forefront, it's maily the same bands. I just got Skalmold's newest album, Baldur, but I haven't listened to it yet. Hopefully I'll get into it today if work allows! If you're feeling ballsy, check out Nechochwen's Azimuths to the Otherworld for some Native American folk metal/atmospheric tunes!

Alestorm are great live, I highly recommend you check them out if you can!

EDIT: In non-Folk Metal stuff, I'm listening to Ghost's Opus Eponymous, and damn is this a fine album! Really nail that late 70's stoner/occult metal vibe in a way that feels totally natural.

jmdajr

Chorazin said:
While I hate "trends", Folk Metal is popular these days, but there aren't a ton of new bands stepping into the forefront, it's maily the same bands. I just got Skalmold's newest album, Baldur, but I haven't listened to it yet. Hopefully I'll get into it today if work allows! If you're feeling ballsy, check out Nechochwen's Azimuths to the Otherworld for some Native American folk metal/atmospheric tunes!

Alestorm are great live, I highly recommend you check them out if you can!

EDIT: In non-Folk Metal stuff, I'm listening to Ghost's Opus Eponymous, and damn is this a fine album! Really nail that late 70's stoner/occult metal vibe in a way that feels totally natural.

Yeah I hear ya. You end up having all these starter bands copying that sound and then the originators end up changing up to be unique again. Really, I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything innovative/cool out there that's worth a listen to.

I can definitely say I'm more into the IN YOUR FACE metal genres and bands. Power Metal/Melodic Death/Cock Rock... stuff that really gets you going.

But don't get me wrong, I can also enjoy the more complex and "deep" stuff out there. Maybe a typical example... I like OPETH but it's not the type of thing I would hear going for a run or working out at the gym. Maybe more for like... a long walk... in the woods. Yeah.

HammerOfThor said:

They are so amazing but soooooo underrated!! I honestly believe they should be up there with Metallica, Megadeth, and Slayer!!

All of their ballads; The Ballad, The Legacy, Return to Serenity, and Trail of Tears(I think I'm forgetting one?) are so great! Metallica is my favorite band w/ Fade to Black being one of my favorite ballads, but I'll make a bold statement and say Testament's rivals, even surpasses it in various ways.

From The Legacy to The Ritual you can see the natural progression of talent from the band!

But they come back with The Gathering and nearly 10 years later, Formation of Damnation marks an awesome return for the band.

I agree. Of the bands still going, I've always considered:

Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Testament and Metallica to be my 'Big Four'.

Opeth are in a league of their own above them, but unfortunately nowhere near as popular. I'd say Opeth are God Tier.

Chorazin

Galvanise_ said:
I agree. Of the bands still going, I've always considered:

Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Testament and Metallica to be my 'Big Four'.

Opeth are in a league of their own above them, but unfortunately nowhere near as popular. I'd say Opeth are God Tier.

I could never get into Opeth, and I've tried. This was even when I was really into gothic-esque metal bands like My Dying Bride. I guess I'm just one of those metal fans that can't get into Opeth at all.

Folk metal probably hit it's peak of popularity some time around the last Paganfest tour. The big boys of the genre are still out there and kicking ass, but the genre was flooded with tons of copycats, as tends to happen with whatever is popular at that moment in time. The Power and Melodeath explosions in the 90's suffered a similar fate.

On the folk front, the new Moonsorrow, Tyr, and Korpiklaani have all come out this year and all 3 are very damn good.

jmdajr

TheLastCandle said:
Folk metal probably hit it's peak of popularity some time around the last Paganfest tour. The big boys of the genre are still out there and kicking ass, but the genre was flooded with tons of copycats, as tends to happen with whatever is popular at that moment in time. The Power and Melodeath explosions in the 90's suffered a similar fate.

On the folk front, the new Moonsorrow, Tyr, and Korpiklaani have all come out this year and all 3 are very damn good.

would you say those are like the in flames/dark tranquility/at the gates of their respective genre.

edit: Going back to the post on my previous page. Opeth is like.... chill music you know. And these days I feel more upbeat and happy so the majority of the time I can't really get into that moody type of music as much. I mostly listen to music while working out so I tend to stick to more immediate gratification stuff.

edit edit: still life and my arms, your hearse are my favorite

Chorazin said:
I could never get into Opeth, and I've tried. This was even when I was really into gothic-esque metal bands like My Dying Bride. I guess I'm just one of those metal fans that can't get into Opeth at all.

I didn't like them much to begin with, but once they clicked with me, everything made sense.

I personally like how something seems repetitive, but its actually there to provide a ton of tension before all hell breaks loose. Going from Blues, to thrash, to death metal growling interlaced with some fantastic technical guitar/drum interplay is delicious.

Some of the older stuff is very hard to get into if you are new to them.

Blackwater Park and Watershed are the ones to introduce them, then Still Life and Damnation (entirely acoustic album).

Chorazin

Galvanise_ said:
Some of the older stuff is very hard to get into if you are new to them.

Blackwater Park and Watershed are the ones to introduce them, then Still Life and Damnation (entirely acoustic album).

Hah, I'm talking over a decade ago when I first heard them in college. Those were new albums when I first tried getting into them!

jmdajr said:
would you say those are like the in flames/dark tranquility/at the gates of their respective genre.

I wouldn't, I'm not sure Korpiklaani are all that popular or well known except for fans of the subgenre and people from their country. They basically play metal version of old people drinking songs, as they've said many times in interviews.

Oh, and Skalmold's Baldur is pretty fuckin' epic, I'm listening to it now. Apparently they strictly adhere traditional Norse poetry structure in the lyrics, which is kinda awesome.

jmdajr said:

edit: Going back to the post on my previous page. Opeth is like.... chill music you know. And these days I feel more upbeat and happy so the majority of the time I can't really get into that moody type of music as much. I mostly listen to music while working out so I tend to stick to stick to more immediate gratification stuff.

Ehhhhhhh, it's harder with folk metal because it's more varied than melodeath was back in the day.

Stylisically, Moonsorrow sound really nothing like Korpiklaani aside from both bands getting their jaunty melodies on. Moonsorrow are epic and swooping blackish folk metal and Korpiklaani are basically a party metal band. Both great at what they do, but too different from each other to really be an In Flames/Dark Tranquility kind of thing.

If you wanted the IF/DT/ATG comparison in terms of current popularity of the genre, it would probably be Eluveitie/Korpiklaani/Fintroll or something. The dancier stuff is the stuff that made it to the forefront, much to the annoyance of Thyrfing fans everywhere.

Chorazin said:
Hah, I'm talking over a decade ago when I first heard them in college. Those were new albums when I first tried getting into them!

Oldie! ;)

Nah seriously, give Watershed a go. Thats the latest one. I found it quite refreshing compared to a lot of stuff released these days.

jmdajr

TheLastCandle said:
Ehhhhhhh, it's harder with folk metal because it's more varied than melodeath was back in the day.

Stylisically, Moonsorrow sound really nothing like Korpiklaani aside from both bands getting their jaunty melodies on. Moonsorrow are epic and swooping blackish folk metal and Korpiklaani are basically a party metal band. Both great at what they do, but too different from each other to really be an In Flames/Dark Tranquility kind of thing.

If you wanted the IF/DT/ATG comparison in terms of current popularity of the genre, it would probably be Eluveitie/Korpiklaani/Fintroll or something. The dancier stuff is the stuff that made it to the forefront, much to the annoyance of Thyrfing fans everywhere.

A friend of mine is really into that stuff. He gave me copies of Finntroll and Korpi but I haven't had the time to check em out.(in depth)

e_i

jmdajr said:
A friend of mine is really into that stuff. He gave me copies of Finntroll and Korpi but I haven't had the time to check em out.(in depth)

Finntroll is awesome. They've gone through three vocalists though.

HammerOfThor said:

Testament always rode the coat tails of the Big Four. IMO Testament should have been a part of it instead of Anthrax.

The Legacy and The New Order will forever be my favorite Testament albums. Practice What You Preach is extremely overrated, but its pretty solid still. I actually preferred Souls of Black to Practice What You Preach. From there it just went downhill along with the whole thrash scene. Ironically, they were one of the bands that survived and consistently put out decent albums. Alex Skolnick period is just fucking classic. That man is on a different level. Every solo on The Legacy fucking rips...and he was around 16-17 years old when he recorded those!

Low was not bad, IMO without James Murphy that album would have been shittier.

Right around The Gathering I had Chuck and Eric come into studio and got to interview them as well as being guest DJ's. Really cool fucking dudes that were just music lovers in general.

jmdajr

I' not gonna lie. I never really liked Anthrax except for a few songs and I thought Sound of White Noise was actually very good.

It's like... Metallica>Megadeth>Slayer>(in any other)......................................................................Anthrax.

Even to this day, they can't even get their shit together.

jmdajr said:

Don't know what's the latest trend these days, but the last couple of years has been an onslaught of Sludge and Post-Metal stuff. It seemed like every week some new Sludge/Post-Metal band would release albums, very reminiscent of the early death metal days. Good thing it has died down significantly.

Around the same time I saw the re-emergence of thrash, but on a smaller level. Basically the THIRD wave of thrash. Shitty bands like Toxic Holocaust, Hatchet, Municipal Waste, Hyades, etc.

But basically everything now is being recycled, re-unions, etc.
Huge nods and tributes to old Stockholm Sweden death metal and Repulsion/Autopsy type death metal bands going around too.

jmdajr

Giant Robot said:
Don't know what's the latest trend these days, but the last couple of years has been an onslaught of Sludge and Post-Metal stuff. It seemed like every week some new Sludge/Post-Metal band would release albums, very reminiscent of the early death metal days. Good thing it has died down significantly.

Around the same time I saw the re-emergence of thrash, but on a smaller level. Basically the THIRD wave of thrash. Shitty bands like Toxic Holocaust, Hatchet, Municipal Waste, Hyades, etc.

But basically everything now is being recycled, re-unions, etc.
Huge nods and tributes to old Stockholm Sweden death metal and Repulsion/Autopsy type death metal bands going around too.

I wonder how many of these bands will be around a decade from now. You know bands like In Flames/Dimmu Borgir/Blind Gurdian etc. take your fucking pick or whatever came around during a still prevalent CD era. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, I just can't imagine many of the newer bands sticking around.

Heck 2 decades from now arena rock bands might be all but extinct.

A few thoughts related to the last few posts to add.

In terms of American thrash to me: Megadeth>Anthrax>Overkill>Testament>Slayer>Metallica.

As far as the post-metal and sludge stuff, what exactly is this genre? Is it stuff like Boris? If so, I can't I'm a fan.

And on the topic of the third wave of thrash, I met Joel Grind from Toxic Holocaust at Guitar Center once. I never would have expected a guy named Joel Grind to be so quiet and nice.

jmdajr said:
I wonder how many of these bands will be around a decade from now. You know bands like In Flames/Dimmu Borgir/Blind Gurdian etc. take your fucking pick or whatever came around during a still prevalent CD era. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, I just can't imagine many of the newer bands sticking around.

Heck 2 decades from now arena rock bands might be all but extinct.

I just believe that any trend thats on it's 3rd or 4th cycle will never come back. It's always the original mighty bands that have the lasting music and history that will make a splash somehow, and then you have some shitty bands and labels that try to cash in on it.

That's why I rely on going back and re-discovering a bunch of shit that I've never gotten around to or were hard to find back then. Same era, similar sound, same circle of bands...how could you go wrong?

TheLastCandle said:
As far as the post-metal and sludge stuff, what exactly is this genre? Is it stuff like Boris? If so, I can't I'm a fan.

And on the topic of the third wave of thrash, I met Joel Grind from Toxic Holocaust at Guitar Center once. I never would have expected a guy named Joel Grind to be so quiet and nice.

Neurosis, Acid Bath, Corrosion of Conformity, Eyehategod, Isis, Pelican, Rosetta, Red Sparowes....then also at the same time were the re-emergence of the Stoner metal stuff like Sleep, Electric Wizard, Goatsnake, Bongzilla.

haha yea, i met Joel Grind at a small show he did at a record shop here. Nice guy, but that band fucking sucks. Kinda cool to see a bunch of young kids in denim jackets covered in thrash patches at that show though, haha.

Giant Robot said:
Neurosis, Acid Bath, Corrosion of Conformity, Eyehategod, Isis, Pelican, Rosetta, Red Sparowes....then also at the same time were the re-emergence of the Stoner metal stuff like Sleep, Electric Wizard, Goatsnake, Bongzilla.

haha yea, i met Joel Grind at a small show he did at a record shop here. Nice guy, but that band fucking sucks. Kinda cool to see a bunch of young kids in denim jackets covered in thrash patches at that show though, haha.

Hmmmm yeah, not really a fan of any of those bands aside from a few CoC songs. Not my cup of tea.

And yeah, I'm no fan of TH, either. I just thought it was funny that he was so soft spoken, especially after I got home later after meeting him and watched their music video for "Nuke The Cross".

Azuran

Banned
jmdajr said:
I' not gonna lie. I never really liked Anthrax except for a few songs and I thought Sound of White Noise was actually very good.

It's like... Metallica>Megadeth>Slayer>(in any other)......................................................................Anthrax.

Even to this day, they can't even get their shit together.

No way. Spreading the Disease and Among the Living easily rival all of the stuff the other bands did. State of Euphoria and Persistence of Time are inconsistent, but they have some really top notch song in there.

Early Megadeth was obviously the weakest of the four. Unlike Anthrax however, they manage to set themselves straight so nobody notices that anymore.

Overkill is obviousy the most underrated thrash band. Everything they released in the 80's and early 90's is quality stuff.

jmdajr

Azuran said:
No way. Spreading the Disease and Among the Living easily rival all of the stuff the other bands did. State of Euphoria and Persistence of Time are inconsistent, but they have some really top notch song in there.

Early Megadeth was obviously the weakest of the four. Unlike Anthrax however, they manage to set themselves straight so nobody notices that anymore.

Overkill is obviousy the most underrated thrash band. Everything they released in the 80's and early 90's is quality stuff.

Maybe it's fair to say all the recent Anthrax bullshit makes me think they sucked retroactively.
It's a shame really.
Loved the Married With Children appearance!

Heat Seeking Ghost said:
Would someone who likes post-hardcore be welcome in this thread? ;-;

I mean most of it nowadays contains elements of metalcore.

welcome

It took me a bit of time to get into Anthrax, but I really dig all the Belladonna era stuff now. Spreading the Disease is fucking awesome as are the rest up through Persistence of Time. The John Bush stuff isn't quite as good but SoWN has a few good tracks on it.

The new song they recently posted online actually sounds quite good.

Chorazin

TheLastCandle said:
It took me a bit of time to get into Anthrax, but I really dig all the Belladonna era stuff now. Spreading the Disease is fucking awesome as are the rest up through Persistence of Time. The John Bush stuff isn't quite as good but SoWN has a few good tracks on it.

The new song they recently posted online actually sounds quite good.

Fight 'Em Till You Can't is played on LiquidMetal constantly and it's AWESOME EVERY TIME. I could have given two shits about Anthrax before hearing that, but now I'm interested in checking out their new disc based on that kick ass tune about killin' some zombies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Galvanise_ said:
Therion fans.

Which are the sexy ones?
Theli, Vovin, Deggial, Secrets Of The Runes, Lemuria & Sirius B. I do not like their last albums, minus live The Miskolc Experience. Lori Lewis really shine on this one.

chessnut

Chorazin said:

I don't want to sound like a prick but I feel sorry for you. I am so sorry...shit!!!!!!

Chorazin

b.mak said:
I don't want to sound like a prick but I feel sorry for you. I am so sorry...shit!!!!!!

I don't dislike them, I just don't care either way for them. Good thing there are tons of metal bands I actually do like to listen to!

Azuran

Banned
Chorazin said:
I don't dislike them, I just don't care either way for them. Good thing there are tons of metal bands I actually do like to listen to!

You're not the only one. I can't get into Opeth no matter how much I try. Same deal with Dream Theater and other progressive bands. I just learn to accept that it's not my type of music.

Doomshine

TheLastCandle said:
New Falkenbach also came out this year. I think I need to listen to it some more, but it hasn't really grabbed me so far.

Gaspode_T

jmdajr said:

IMO one trend is sort of 'lab crafted' or hand picked metal bands (think Backstreet Boys)

This one band Mutiny Within is like that, a bunch of unquestionably talented young kids but obviously were kind of hand picked for the roles instead of coming together from a truly metal background...Mutiny Within are nearly being crammed down the throats of the entire concert going population as well, their record label is doing a great job getting them on nearly every major tour lately as opening act.

Another example of this is Amaranthe. They are being pushed very hard in Japan, feature a female singer that looks somewhat like a singing metal Shakira or something...and two other guys who have the same sort of 'I actually am going to church on Sundays and was a straight A student' smell about them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y25snz83ms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom