• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomshine

TheLastCandle said:
New Iced Earth album info
I'm cautiously excited, but I can't for the life of me remember a single song from The Crucible of Man. Actually, I don't think I've enjoyed anything they've done since Horror Show. I also did not know that Barlow left again, but even he couldn't save The Crucible of Man so I guess I'm ok with that.

TheLastCandle said:
I've heard good things of Anubis Gate somewhat recently. I should definitely check them out.

I would recommend getting Andromeda Unchained as it is easily the most listenable, then The Detached, and if you're still interested, A Perfect Forever(different singer). Stay away from Purification(their first).

Doomshine said:
I'm cautiously excited, but I can't for the life of me remember a single song from The Crucible of Man. Actually, I don't think I've enjoyed anything they've done since Horror Show. I also did not know that Barlow left again, but even he couldn't save The Crucible of Man so I guess I'm ok with that.

I thought Glorious Burden was ok, and I actually very much enjoyed Framing Armageddon, but Crucible was just so, SO boring. Good lord. All i want from Iced Earth is to get pummeled over the head with gallops and wailing lead vocals and I hope they deliver with this.

Lionheart1827 said:
I would recommend getting Andromeda Unchained as it is easily the most listenable, then The Detached, and if you're still interested, A Perfect Forever(different singer). Stay away from Purification(their first).

Will do. I'll give the first two a listen when I get the chance.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Giant Robot said:
I know Opeth has been introducing more and more of the prog sound with each album, but I have not listened to any Opeth since Blackwater Park (and that was a half assed listen on my end), skipped Still Life, but like their first 3 albums. Has their albums since then become more and more proggy? This new song is some serious nod to 70's prog here.

Their first three albums (Orchid, Morningrise and Your Arms, My Hearse) were mainly Melodic Death Metal with Prog elements and long songs. The following albums (Still Life, Blackwater Park, Deliverance and Damnation) amped up the Prog, especially the last three of those four albums as they were produced by Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson. The albums following (Ghost Revereies and Watershed) maintained some of the Prog but there was a distinct drop in quality as some members of the band had left and it felt that some of the unique soul of the band was missing.

The new album looks likely it will right the wrongs of thei last two, especially seeing as Steven Wilson is back on board (for mixing duties not producing) and his influence can only be a good thing.

Sleepy

Witchfinder General said:
TThe albums following (Ghost Revereies and Watershed) maintained some of the Prog but there was a distinct drop in quality as some members of the band had left and it felt that some of the unique soul of the band was missing.

I never understood this evaluation. GR is quality all the way through, and W, while breaking in a new drummer (come back to us Lopez!!) and guitarist, has moments of unbelievable brilliance. I know that we are arguing over trifles, as all their albums are great, but stating that both of those albums were a distinct drop in quality just does not compute. And the soul of the band has always been Akerfeldt.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Help Me! said:
I never understood this evaluation. GR is quality all the way through, and W, while breaking in a new drummer (come back to us Lopez!!) and guitarist, has moments of unbelievable brilliance. I know that we are arguing over trifles, as all their albums are great, but stating that both of those albums were a distinct drop in quality just does not compute. And the soul of the band has always been Akerfeldt.

Eh, Opeth have always been spotty when it comes to album quality.

Orchid: Shit
Morningrise: Excellent
My Arms, Your Hearse: Mostly bad except for Demon of the Fall which is only good live.
Still Life: Very good, if a little bloated and uneven
Blackwater Park: Their magnum opus
Deliverence: Very good although it could use a little bit more variety
Damnation: Very good but would have been better had it been released with Deliverance as a double album liked the band wanted
Ghost Reveries: Technically accomplished but ultimately dull and mechanical
Watershed: This album is so dull I have no memory of a single song off it

Sleepy

I don't think I would call any of them "shit," but I like some better than others. Still, most of their stuff is better than 98% of the stuff out there, so I guess I might rate them too highly.

Today I would rate them as: My Arms, Your Hearse>Ghost Reveries>Blackwater Park>Damnation>Still Life>Deliverance>Watershed>Morningrise>Orchid: Tomorrow may be different.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
HammerOfThor said:
Hey metal-gaf, I need your help!!

I need some awesome headphones that are killer for metal!! I list to some rap too, but my main music choice is metal. I have earbuds but I only want to use those for working out. I want some quality earpieces for when I'm just chilling or working.

Any recommendations?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001ARCFA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Bought these after getting a recommendation from a metalhead at work who's been using these for almost 30 years. He's only on his second pair. The first one fell apart. The hardware worked fine; but everything else just fell apart. I read some reviews and snagged them a week ago when they were on sale for $80.

I'm a big fan of trying to listen to an album as accurately as the band or artist would want to present it. And I'd like to think these studio headphones do a good job in that. You can really appreciate an album's production value so much more with these than just bookshelf speakers and a sub.

yacobod

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
I thought Glorious Burden was ok, and I actually very much enjoyed Framing Armageddon, but Crucible was just so, SO boring. Good lord. All i want from Iced Earth is to get pummeled over the head with gallops and wailing lead vocals and I hope they deliver with this.

Will do. I'll give the first two a listen when I get the chance.

iced earth best stuff was all pre burnt offerings, self titled and night of the stormrider have some bad ass riffs. and burnt has the monster dante's inferno. they started getting bad with all the barlowe/paul stanley ballads. i haven't really listened to them since something wicked though.

Korranator

Eh, Opeth have always been spotty when it comes to album quality.

Orchid: Shit
Morningrise: Excellent
My Arms, Your Hearse: Mostly bad except for Demon of the Fall which is only good live.
Still Life: Very good, if a little bloated and uneven
Blackwater Park: Their magnum opus
Deliverence: Very good although it could use a little bit more variety
Damnation: Very good but would have been better had it been released with Deliverance as a double album liked the band wanted
Ghost Reveries: Technically accomplished but ultimately dull and mechanical
Watershed: This album is so dull I have no memory of a single song off it

the fuck? This post is all kinds of backward.

Regarding Orchid:

The twilight is my robe is not shit.

My Arms, Your Hearse is actually better than Morningrise, and Still Life is their Opus.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm the direct opposite; I really didn't care for their last two albums but I don't mind the new songs. It does give off a Symphony X vibe, but that's hardly a bad thing.

Not sure if it's a Symphony X vibe, but I'm digging this way more than their last few albums. Something just never clicked with me on their last few albums. Not sure if it was the new drummer or the they handled the added in keys or what... but I'm digging this... though something about the keys really did annoy me especially on the watershed album...

Giant Robot said:
I know Opeth has been introducing more and more of the prog sound with each album, but I have not listened to any Opeth since Blackwater Park (and that was a half assed listen on my end), skipped Still Life, but like their first 3 albums. Has their albums since then become more and more proggy? This new song is some serious nod to 70's prog here.

That new song really doesn't sound like anything they've done before, but yeah the prog has always been there and getting more prevalent over time.

I respect Witchfinder General's list, I'd say it goes more like:

Orchid: Amateur, unpolished, but ambitious and you can hear a very promising band in the making. Has some very long songs, the prog influence is obvious.
MorningRise: Pretty much what Orchid should have been, still kind of uneven but mostly excellent. Even longer and more progressive songs.
My Arms Your Hearse: Has it's moments but pretty forgettable overall, Demon of the Fall and Credence are great songs though. Sets the pace for future albums of songs songs that are less than ten minutes long, but not much less.
Still Life: This is where all the pieces begin to fall into place, amazing riffs and song structure, drums and bass aren't quite up to snuff yet...still some of the best stuff they've ever done.
Blackwater Park: Mendez and Lopez find their niche in the band alongside the great guitars and vocals, the drums are much more expressive and the bass much more prominent, usually considered their best work along with Still Life.
Deliverance: Sounds rushed, many recycled riffs, sounds heavy just for the sake of heaviness, song lengths increase...it's decent but definitely my least favorite album.
Damnation: Gets rid of the heaviness, no death growls or double bass drumming here, very 70's, very jazzy, very good, easily the most instrumentally balanced album of the bunch.
Ghost Reveries: Excellent album, and the last one to feature the classic lineup; the use of open D-minor 9 tuning is truly inspired, just a really cool guitar tuning that suits them perfectly. Also, they only dabbled in keyboards previously, this is the first album with very prominent hammond/mellotron parts. Probably the album the bests balances the death metal/progressive rock thing.
Watershed: I hated this album at first, but I've grown to really like it...the addition of a new guitarist and drummer along with woodwinds, strings, increased keyboard presence, a lot of dissonance and weird art rock bullshit thrown in makes it an interesting album, to say the least. It's still pretty progressive, but not in your standard 70's kinda of way.

Here's the songs that best represent each album since Blackwater Park imo:
Deliverance-Deliverance (live)
Damnation-Windowpane (live)
Ghost Reveries-Ghost of Perdition
Watershed-The Lotus Eater

Doomshine

Doomshine said:
Horror Show was my favorite IE album for a long while, and it's still up there, duking it out with the Dark Saga depending on my mood.

There are so many awesome riffs melded into each song, Barlow's vocals are at the top of their game, and it's when they really hit their stride from a production standpoint. The form of their tracks was tightened and fine tuned progressively from Burnt Offerings, to Dark Saga, to Something Wicked, to Horror Show, and they've been at that level ever since. It's like that's the album where Jon really got it, if you know what I mean.

If only the riffs and melodies of Framing Armageddon and the Crucible of Man were on the level of their older stuff. They seem to have lost something with the new albums. The form seems the same, but it just doesn't grab my attention like the older stuff did.

Sleepy

corkscrewblow said:
Watershed is their only bad album. And it's really bad.

You've been saying this for years...It's excellent and you know it. It's like you are just acting like a space cadet, or something.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not toooo sure about the new Opeth song. The music is good, but something about Åkerfeldt's vocals seem off. No doubt it just needs to grow on me. I felt similar to Tool - 10,000 Days.

corkscrewblow said:
Watershed is their only bad album. And it's really bad.

Watershed is amazing. Ghost Reveries is the dud.

SOME-MIST

Blotted Science has a preview for their 2nd CD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvZfHcX8s3c&feature=share

Kind of bummed that Charlie Zeleny (behold... the arctopus) isn't drumming on this CD, but Hannes Grossmann (Obscura, Necrophagist) does just fine.

Lineup for this EP will be much like the last with the exception of Grossmann. Ron Jarzombek (Spastic Ink, Watchtower, Gordion Knot) on Guitars, and Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse) on Bass.

SOME-MIST said:
Blotted Science has a preview for their 2nd CD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvZfHcX8s3c&feature=share

Kind of bummed that Charlie Zeleny (behold... the arctopus) isn't drumming on this CD, but Hannes Grossmann (Obscura, Necrophagist) does just fine.

Lineup for this EP will be much like the last with the exception of Grossmann. Ron Jarzombek (Spastic Ink, Watchtower, Gordion Knot) on Guitars, and Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse) on Bass.

Ah man, I had forgotten about this project band.
I'd wish Ron and Bobby would go back and re-record the first Spastic Ink album.

SOME-MIST

Giant Robot said:
Ah man, I had forgotten about this project band.
I'd wish Ron and Bobby would go back and re-record the first Spastic Ink album.
that would be incredible! I'm just sure it would be hard to get all the old members together for even a single session. Watchtower (one of Ron's bands - Bobby isn't in it tho) was going to record their latest album but Ron and the band has been stuck looking for a vocalist :/

bounchfx

EatChildren said:
Not toooo sure about the new Opeth song. The music is good, but something about Åkerfeldt's vocals seem off. No doubt it just needs to grow on me. I felt similar to Tool - 10,000 Days.

Watershed is amazing. Ghost Reveries is the dud.

both are awesome as hell. how can you hate on Harlequin Forest and The Grand Conjuration and Beneath the Mire and and and fuck I'm just gonna listen to it right now

SOME-MIST said:
that would be incredible! I'm just sure it would be hard to get all the old members together for even a single session. Watchtower (one of Ron's bands - Bobby isn't in it tho) was going to record their latest album but Ron and the band has been stuck looking for a vocalist :/

As long as it isn't Jason McMaster on vocals. I actually like Alan Tecchio's vocals. Just the right bizaareness for Watchtower.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
bounchfx said:
both are awesome as hell. how can you hate on Harlequin Forest and The Grand Conjuration and Beneath the Mire and and and fuck I'm just gonna listen to it right now

Ghost Reveries is the most boring album Opeth has released, yet I'm the only person I know who feels this way :(.

Grave are playing near me in august. Has anyone seen them live recently? Are they still worth seeing?
Also Godflesh are playing in helsiniki in september and they're playing mostly material from streetcleaner this tour. Hopefully I'll be able to see them then.

Spectacular Dr Dawg said:
Grave are playing near me in august. Has anyone seen them live recently? Are they still worth seeing?
Also Godflesh are playing in helsiniki in september and they're playing mostly material from streetcleaner this tour. Hopefully I'll be able to see them then.

:bow

expect some technical difficulties at Godflesh :D

What material will Grave play? Either way, they are pretty decent and brutal live.

Giant Robot said:
:bow

expect some technical difficulties at Godflesh :D

What material will Grave play? Either way, they are pretty decent and brutal live.
FUCK! Grave aren't playing near me :( fucking youtube said that they are playing but it' s some band called Dead Elvis & His One Man Grave. Why did they include that function when it clearly doesn't work.
Well atleast Godflesh are still playing with some band called pedigree from estonia supporting.
Here they sound like ministry + later Pitchshifter
Here they sound like Godflesh
Not very exciting :/

Chiave

That new OPETH song is sick as fuck! I probably shouldn't have listened to it so late at night while I'm home alone. Now I'm freaked out haha!

EatChildren said:
I had a similar impression. I was totally into the music from the beginning, but when the vocals started I was put off a little.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
EatChildren said:
Ghost Reveries is the most boring album Opeth has released, yet I'm the only person I know who feels this way :(.
Vu4je.gif

Still Life is the most boring release.

Verano said:
Vu4je.gif

Still Life is the most boring release.

I feel as though I've heard every single opinion regarding Metal over the years and years I've been following it... but this would be the first time I've heard someone call Still Life the most boring Opeth album. I'd probably go with Orchid.

TheLastCandle said:
I feel as though I've heard every single opinion regarding Metal over the years and years I've been following it... but this would be the first time I've heard someone call Still Life the most boring Opeth album. I'd probably go with Orchid.

Same. Still Life is universally proclaimed as a 'feels good man' album.

TheLastCandle said:

I gave Still Life a few listens and could never get into it. Haven't listened to it since release. I'm quite the opposite as most people in here and think Orchid was fucking great. Stiff production and all.

Hesemonni

Banned
Giant Robot said:
I gave Still Life a few listens and could never get into it. Haven't listened to it since release. I'm quite the opposite as most people in here and think Orchid was fucking great. Stiff production and all.
Still Life has Godhead's Lament and Serenity Painted Death so record redeemed!

Anyway, just to state a fact : Morningrise = The best Opeth album.

Mileena

Banned
Help Me! said:
You've been saying this for years...It's excellent and you know it. It's like you are just acting like a space cadet, or something.
Watershed doesn't even exist to me anymore. I still love you though

Hesemonni said:
Anyway, just to state a fact : Morningrise = The best Opeth album.
correct.

Spwn

EatChildren said:

I felt like that for a long time. I was very disappointed with the album when it was released. Now I think it's the best Opeth album.

Preordered Heritage CD+DVD today. The new song is one of the best Opeth songs I've heard. Can't wait!

Sleepy

corkscrewblow said:
Watershed doesn't even exist to me anymore. I still love you though

I just finished listening to it while I did some work around the house. Amazing...miss Lopez, though.

I really like the 2 newest Opeth albums, but that could be because I am a god damned sucker for some tasty organ.

Morningrise is really awesome though, especially the bass playing. It bounces all over the frigging place. The only Opeth albums I find myself never listening to are Orchid and MAYH, aside from the obligatory Demon of the Fall.

And all this Opeth talk has me recalling my favorite Opeth memory; watching them play at Gigantour and listening to a lawn full of ancy Lamb of God fans heckle them and call them every name in the book. It was the best thing ever watching Akerfeldt troll them by announcing Windowpane and then proceeding to torture their shirtless, camo shorts wearing asses with 8 minutes of acoustic deliciousness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom