• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Are there any great alternative metal bands in vein with Faith No More and System of a Down nowadays?

For the people who care, Dream Theater tour NA dates (Trivium opening):

Sat Sep 24, 2011 San Francisco, CA The Warfield (with Trivium)
Sun Sep 25, 2011 Los Angeles, CA Nokia Theater (with Trivium)
Tue Sep 27, 2011 Seattle, WA Showbox SODO (with Trivium)
Wed Sep 28, 2011 Vancouver, BC Queen Elizabeth Theatre (with Trivium)
Mon Oct 03, 2011 Royal Oak, MI Royal Oak Music Theatre
Tue Oct 04, 2011 Pittsburgh, PA Trib Total Media Amphitheatre (with Trivium)
Thu Oct 06, 2011 Toronto, ON Massey Hall (with Trivium)
Fri Oct 07, 2011 Montreal, QC Place des Arts (with Trivium)
Sat Oct 08, 2011 Quebec City, QC Pavilion de la Jeunesse (with Trivium)
Mon Oct 10, 2011 Boston, MA Orpheum Theatre (with Trivium)
Tue Oct 11, 2011 Morristown, NJ Mayo Performing Arts Center (flat) (with Trivium)
Wed Oct 12, 2011 New York, NY Beacon Theatre (with Trivium)
Sat Oct 22, 2011 Cleawater, FL Ruth Eckerd Hall
Tue Oct 25, 2011 Houston, TX Verizon Wireless Theater (with Trivium)
Wed Oct 26, 2011 Austin, TX Bass Concert Hall (with Trivium)

Most definitely going to the Beacon Theatre show.

Mileena

Banned
Sat Oct 22, 2011 Cleawater, FL Ruth Eckerd Hall

I think I just lucked out and won't have to see Trivium. I might actually go to this now. Trivium are fuckin awful.

TheLastCandle said:
As usual, nowhere near me. DT always seem to pass by my area. Glad I got to see them open for Maiden last year.

Well, on the official site, it says that more dates are going to be announced. So maybe you'll get lucky!

Sleepy

b.mak said:
Ugh, why is everyone so wrong today. This is order of opeth's top 5 albums:
1. Still Life
2. Blackwater Park
3. Damnation
4. Ghost Reveries
5. Morningrise

No My Arms, Your Hearse? Fail.

b.mak said:
Ugh, why is everyone so wrong today. This is order of opeth's top 5 albums:
1. Still Life
2. Blackwater Park
3. Damnation
4. Ghost Reveries
5. Morningrise

That's pretty close to mine honestly, although I'd probably give Damnation the boot even though I like it quite a bit.

Ah, fuck it. I like lists.

1. Still Life
2. Blackwater Park
3. Morningrise
4. Watershed
5. Deliverance

Gvaz said:
I think you mean Damnnation

Damnation got me through studying for my Uni exams. It'll forever be awesome to me. Mellow, thoughtful, amazing, and not all ARRRGGHGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (Which isn't handy when you are trying to remember the mechanisms of how 29 different drugs work in extreme detail).

chessnut

Galvanise_ said:
Damnation got me through studying for my Uni exams. It'll forever be awesome to me. Mellow, thoughtful, amazing, and not all ARRRGGHGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (Which isn't handy when you are trying to remember the mechanisms of how 29 different drugs work in extreme detail).

you're a pharmacist?

Also, since we're on the subject of Damnation, I have to post this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgNYv0bHqqQ&feature=related so goooooooooooood!!!!!!!

Carcetti

I listened to metal last time in the 90s. Do you people think that if I listed some albums I remember liking, you could give me something new to listen to?

RDreamer

Opeth hasn't released a bad record. Actually, to me they haven't released a "not good" record. They're all pretty much awesome.

My list:

1. My Arms Your Hearse
2. Blackwater Park
3. Ghost Reveries
4. Still Life
5. Watershed
6. Deliverance
7. Damnation
8. Orchid
9. Morningrise

And that'd definitely not to say Morningrise or Orchid are bad. They both kick ass, just slightly less and in a different way than the others. I have to put MAYH at number 1 though because the lyrics and concept just push it beyond the rest.

Carcetti said:
I listened to metal last time in the 90s. Do you people think that if I listed some albums I remember liking, you could give me something new to listen to?

For the love of god man, BRING IT. I'm sure regardless of what it was someone in this thread will have some good stuff to offer.

Edit:

So yeah, I'm having a bit of scotch after work, browsing some metal vids on youtube and I come across this. Might be old news to some, but I was floored that they were playing this on tour this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cEgR-HlHMo

There are few bands out there that have fallen further to me than these guys. The worst offenders would be Queensryche, who are just fucking abysmal now. That said, I'll still always remember the good times we had back in high school.

\m/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLPXAcAsLgo

Yeah, I'm a tad tipsy.

chessnut

Galvanise_ said:
I studied Pharmacology. We had to learn the drug mechanics in much more detail than the Pharmacists did. Mainly because that degree fed into the design and testing of the drugs.

I'm a teacher now.

Damnation is ace. All the way.

Oh cool! I asked because I'm in pharmacy school btw.

chessnut

TheLastCandle said:
There are few bands out there that have fallen further to me than these guys. The worst offenders would be Queensryche, who are just fucking abysmal now. That said, I'll still always remember the good times we had back in high school.

\m/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLPXAcAsLgo

Yeah, I'm a tad tipsy.

I went on a road trip this past week and I had a lot of stuff from the jester race, whoracle, colony, and clayman in my mp3 player...man it's been a while since i've listened to stuff like behind space '99, episode 666, bullet ride, graveland. UGH!!!!! what a shame, oh well...

this is the only song that stood out to me from their latest album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-dEOQX9IkM

Sleepy

Carcetti said:

50264_284822539731_4120296_n.jpg

RDreamer said:
My list:

1. My Arms Your Hearse
I have to put MAYH at number 1 though because the lyrics and concept just push it beyond the rest.

Can we be best-ies?

Ravager61

Ghost Reveries is easily my favorite Opeth album with Watershed being my least favorite. A weird opinion maybe but Watershed just never clicked for me. I actually rate Orchid as being one of their best albums too, so I'm kind of all over the place when it comes to Opeth.

magicstop

I see this is now an Opeth thread . . . Excellent :D

My favorite is Blackwater Park, closely followed by MAYH. Not a fan of Deliverance, Ghost Reveries, or even Watershed. We'll see how I like the new one. The new song is definitely good, but it's not quite the Opeth I miss.

Man Opeth is one of my favorite bands of all time but fuck we've been talking about them for like two weeks now...oh well LIST TIME.

God Tier:
Morningrise
Still Life
Blackwater Park
Ghost Reveries

Great Tier:
Damnation
Watershed

Good Tier:
Orchid
My Arms Your Hearse

Decent Tier:
Deliverance

It changes though...they've all been on constant rotation at one time or another and I like them all quite a bit.

Flynn said:
I keep trying to appreciate Opeth but I can't. They seem kinda dorky.

Lol they kinda are but hey I'm posting in a metal thread on a videogame forum so I'm not above dorkyness ;P

Flynn

Phobophile said:
Yeah that's kinda the point of prog.

Yeah, I get it. I can handle King Crimson and a little bit of Rush, but almost everybody else leaves me cold. I guess I can handle Tool alright -- but that's mostly because Maynard has something going on.

Flynn said:
Yeah, I get it. I can handle King Crimson and a little bit of Rush, but almost everybody else leaves me cold. I guess I can handle Tool alright -- but that's mostly because Maynard has something going on.

Tool...now that's a band I could never get into. I can see the appeal and I end up listening to them a lot because my friends love 'em, but yeah, the phrase "leave me cold" is about as accurate as it gets. Danny Carey is an excellent drummer though.

Flynn

Secks4Food said:
Tool...now that's a band I could never get into. I can see the appeal and I end up listening to them a lot because my friends love 'em, but yeah, the phrase "leave me cold" is about as accurate as it gets. Danny Carey is an excellent drummer though.

There was a kind of rawness to their older work that lets me forgive their more sterile stuff.

Seanspeed

Banned
Secks4Food said:
Danny is a god.

ShaneB

The first Opeth song I heard years ago was To Bid You Farewell. It essentially spoiled me on the band. I think it's incredible, and listening to it again for the first time in a while, it's still fantastic.

But I haven't loved anything else of theirs as much as that. I dig the clean stuff, Credence, Face of Melinda, etc, and Damnation is a great album, but I've always been bored to death of their death metal stuff.

When I saw them at Gigantour in... 06.. I was pumped when they played Windowpane, and bored for everything else.

ah well. :)

Flynn

So:

Coming off all of your death metal suggestions I picked up Atheist "Unquestionable Presence" at my local record store (only 9.99 for a brand new disc!).

The more I realize that I was close to ground zero for death metal the more I'm bummed out. I blame Rip magazine for turning me on to Jane's Addiction in 1989.

TheLastCandle said:
Just figured I'd toss this in here.

In the new NeoGAF t-shirt shop, there is a shirt dedicated to MetalGAF! Since black t-shirts are part of the metal uniform, it shouldn't be too hard to sell enough to make it one of the top 5.

http://neogaf.spreadshirt.com/nightmaretrigger-01-aa-A7898100/customize/color/2
You're hockin' my shit? You beat me to it. Thanks!

Just submitted an alternate design w/ text. METALGAF underneath the horns. "GET YOUR SHITTY DEATHCORE OUTTA HERE" on the back.
Should look something like this:

Sr99X.png

TPahY.png

NightmareTrigger said:
You're hockin' my shit? You beat me to it. Thanks!

Just submitted an alternate design w/ text. METALGAF underneath the horns. "GET YOUR SHITTY DEATHCORE OUTTA HERE" on the back.
Should look something like this:

Sr99X.png

TPahY.png

Yeah, I'll be waiting for this one then.

Also, you are most welcome! MetalGAF needs to stand united and proud.

Blackheim

So yeah, I posted about ICS Vortex/Simen Hestnæs releasing a new album some time ago. I don't think anyone cares except me about it since there was no reply/reaction to the post :p
Anyway, another reminder just in case!

ICS Vortex - The Storm Seeker comes out on August 23rd (a day earlier more than likely in Euro-land) and is available to pre-order for $10 or $18/$20 w/T-shirt. I decided to get the CD + shirt bundle :D

Here's a song from it for you guys to listen to :D
The Blackmobile

I always found Vortex to be the best part of later Dimmu and I definitely enjoyed his time with Borknagar, so I'll keep a close eye on his new stuff. I'll give that song a listen when I get home.

Blackheim

TheLastCandle said:
I always found Vortex to be the best part of later Dimmu and I definitely enjoyed his time with Borknagar, so I'll keep a close eye on his new stuff. I'll give that song a listen when I get home.

I never got into Dimmu but yes, the only listenable parts of that band were those sung by Vortex for me :p His Borknagar albums are also fantastic, as is Lamented Souls + The Chaos Path song from Arcturus' La Masquerade Infernale album although I didn't care for Sideshow Symphonies at all :/. I love his voice, he's a cool cat.

The Blackmobile song reminds me a lot of his Borknagar days, though I imagine having Jens Ryland + Asgeir Mickelson from Borknagar in the band may have something to do with that, heh.

Prodigal

Banned
Do any of you guys subscribe to Decibel magazine? If any of y'all are in possession of the previous month's issue (the one with Scott Ian), could you do me a huge favor and tell me what they said about my band in the Throw Me a Frickin' Bone demo section? We're called Raised by Sharks.

I will be forever in your debt!

Flynn

Prodigal said:
Do any of you guys subscribe to Decibel magazine? If any of y'all are in possession of the previous month's issue (the one with Scott Ian), could you do me a huge favor and tell me what they said about my band in the Throw Me a Frickin' Bone demo section? We're called Raised by Sharks.

I will be forever in your debt!

That's Cosmo Lee's column, right? Grats on the mention.

Flynn

Prodigal said:
Yeah that's his column, thanks for the grats...that is, if we're not on his "bad" list!

Well, the guy isn't really into negativity. So if he's mentioning you I'd say that's a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom