• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudder

Damn, Amon Amarth is gonna be here in Toronto next week, but I'm gonna miss it. Kinda sucks too because they're playing their entire new album along with a few songs they rarely play live. Sall good though, I've seen them at least 5 times before. :)

Oh, and The Black Dahlia Murder are gonna be here too for Summer Slaughter! I've always wanted to see them but I just dropped 167$ for Watch The Throne tics and don't think I can muster up any more money for concerts lol.

BOO.

Seanspeed

Banned
Cudder said:
Damn, Amon Amarth is gonna be here in Toronto next week, but I'm gonna miss it. Kinda sucks too because they're playing their entire new album along with a few songs they rarely play live. Sall good though, I've seen them at least 5 times before. :)

Oh, and The Black Dahlia Murder are gonna be here too for Summer Slaughter! I've always wanted to see them but I just dropped 167$ for Watch The Throne tics and don't think I can muster up any more money for concerts lol.

BOO.
You've gotta see Black Dahlia Murder. New album is rippin.

Cudder

Seanspeed said:
You've gotta see Black Dahlia Murder. New album is rippin.
I'm listening to the album preview on iTunes, so bought lol. I wasn't really a fan of Deflorate, but I also think I didn't give it a fair chance compared to the other albums. Their first 2 albums are amazing imo. Can't wait to listen to Ritual.

Azuran

Banned
Children of Bodom is always awesome live and Angels Don't Kill is still their best song. That was a great way to pass an hour.

Maddog

Azuran said:
Children of Bodom is always awesome live and Angels Don't Kill is still their best song. That was a great way to pass an hour.

Definitely. I saw them live at Heavy T.O. this year (along with many other awesome bands) and they totally killed it. The crowd was insane.

Azuran

Banned
Maddog said:
Definitely. I saw them live at Heavy T.O. this year (along with many other awesome bands) and they totally killed it. The crowd was insane.

I know, I was there too. Awesome show.

Seanspeed

Banned
Cudder said:
I wasn't really a fan of Deflorate, but I also think I didn't give it a fair chance compared to the other albums.
Definitely give it a chance. I think "I Will Return" is their absolute best song.

Mileena

Banned
Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper are their only albums worth checking out. Something Wild is decent too I guess. I really miss good Bodom.

strafer

I'm just going to say it; this album is insane.

I listened to it earlier today after some Heavy Metal hiatus.

Nearly broke my neck from all the headbanging.

Seriously, I couldn't lay still in bed.

I'm not ashamed of admitting it, when I listen to something I like I go crazy and airdrum/airguitar like a madman. ^^

SLAYER-REIGN-IN-BLOOD.jpg

yacobod

Banned
Azuran said:
Reign in Blood is the best album in music history. If you disagree, you're wrong.

well it's not even the best slayer album, but still for 1986, things don't get much heavier. the 1986 unholy trinity = slayer RIB, kreator - pleasure to kill, and dark angel - darkness descends. essential thrash.

RDreamer

I love Reign in Blood, but am I the only one that feels the mix is a bit off. I wish the vocals were a bit lower. I had a personal cd player with some settings where I could change it to "live" or something and for some reason that made the CD sound really badass compared to normal.

Azuran said:
Reign in Blood is the best album in music history. If you disagree, you're wrong.

Although it is a great album, I still find it highly overrated. It's mostly filler material.
I prefer Hell Awaits and Haunting The Chapel ep which are listenable on repeat. I get tired listening to Reign In Blood after a few times.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Giant Robot said:
Although it is a great album, I still find it highly overrated. It's mostly filler material.
I prefer Hell Awaits and Haunting The Chapel ep which are listenable on repeat. I get tired listening to Reign In Blood after a few times.

pretty much this and anything after reign blood is absolutely overrated crap.

Gaspode_T

Lists and world rankings out of tens and thousands of great CDs is pretty silly...but on the other hand (and speaking as a Megadeth fanboy) Rust in Peace won the best metal album of all time at BNRMetal in 2010:

http://www.bnrmetal.com/v3/tourney/status/2010

It seems pretty widely agreed that Master of Puppets, Reign of Blood and Rust in Peace are in the top 10 in most lists that have "mainstream" metal...(not all death metal)

This year's BNRMetal tournament is Death Metal, Death's Leprosy will probably win:

http://www.bnrmetal.com/v3/tourney/status/2011DM

Don't know what the heck Focus by Cynic is doing in the top 5 there, he should have left that out for a prog metal tournament.

^^ Haha, funny to see a list like that.

I'd place Entombed's "Left Hand Path" up there at like 95% and the rest going to Carcass' "Necroticism.

btw, I went and saw Thrones/Big Business/Torche last night. Thrones seen plenty of times and friend's house/studio. Big Business is always fun to watch, especially the drummer (Coady Willis). Their new material is pretty weak though. Torche completely lost it and is trying to become the new Foo Fighters. Their new shit is complete shit and lost all the quality of what Torche was awesome for. Although it was well worth waiting around for the last 15 minutes when they down tune for the "bomb string" and old material from the s/t and In Return ep.

Verano

corkscrewblow said:
Metallica Master Of Puppets (1) def. Metallica Kill 'Em All (2), 70% to 30%

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

thats what im saying. 8+ min. of repeating the same goddamn riff/chorus gets fuckin boring quick. Kill Em All will forever Metallica's magnum opus..I rate that album way fuckin higher than anything metallica has released since then.

Flynn

Giant Robot said:
btw, I went and saw Thrones/Big Business/Torche last night. Thrones seen plenty of times and friend's house/studio. Big Business is always fun to watch, especially the drummer (Coady Willis). Their new material is pretty weak though. Torche completely lost it and is trying to become the new Foo Fighters. Their new shit is complete shit and lost all the quality of what Torche was awesome for. Although it was well worth waiting around for the last 15 minutes when they down tune for the "bomb string" and old material from the s/t and In Return ep.

Sounds like a great show. I don't fault Torche for giving pop ago. I'd like to live in a world where stuff like Meanderthal plays on rock radio. Then, maybe, Doomriders could get some love too.

I really need to see Big Business.

Giant Robot said:
I'd place Entombed's "Left Hand Path" up there at like 95% and the rest going to Carcass' "Necroticism.
I agree with this, though I'd also add Autopsy - Mental Funeral. And I have a hard time deciding between Necroticism and Symphonies of Sickness.

Did you check out the Skin Chamber tracks? They should be right up your alley if you like early Godflesh.

BNR Metal said:
Morbid Angel Altars Of Madness def. Fleshcrawl Descend Into The Absurd, 95% to 5%

Carcass Necroticsm - Descanting The Insalubrious def. Necrophagia Season Of The Dead, 89% to 11%

Wow talk about un-winnable matchups.

Also, Necroticism deserves the win by a nose.

Human is ten times the album Leprosy is.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Perhaps this isn't l33t enough for some, but Trivium's new record "In Waves" dropped today officially. I ordered my copy on Amazon already and listening to it now. Gotta support these guys. Seeing them with Dream Theater in NYC too. Life doesn't get better than a concert like that.

My body hasn't been more ready.

\m/>_<\m/

Spectacular Dr Dawg said:
I agree with this, though I'd also add Autopsy - Mental Funeral. And I have a hard time deciding between Necroticism and Symphonies of Sickness.

Did you check out the Skin Chamber tracks? They should be right up your alley if you like early Godflesh.

arrgghh, i totally forgot about Mental Funeral. One of my top death metal albums of all time.
I'll have to check out Skin Chamber. I mistaken your post for Skinlab so I just dismissed yet, haha.

AlphaSnake said:
Perhaps this isn't l33t enough for some, but Trivium's new record "In Waves" dropped today officially. I ordered my copy on Amazon already and listening to it now. Gotta support these guys. Seeing them with Dream Theater in NYC too. Life doesn't get better than a concert like that.

\m/>_<\m/

I sat next to Matt Heafy's mother on my flight to Japan last year.

\m/

AlphaSnake said:

\m/>_<\m/

Despite not being a fan of Trivium, somehow I've seen them three times (Download and in support of Maiden and another band). I've never quite understood the hype.

They've always struck me as average. Technically they are okay, but it feels like they are trying too hard.

SOME-MIST

MrHicks said:
i need power metal/melodic/symphonic suggestions
list some
I don't think this is what you're looking for, but mike lerner (behold... the arctopus) has a solo project "direwolf"
I doubt it's worth checking out but I just wanted to contribute :[

Verano

Spwn said:
Blind Guardian

I think that's all you need.

nah, Blind Guardian is a hit or a miss.

Try Persuader. Skip the debut album and go on to the 2nd, Evolution Purgatory.

MrHicks said:
already know those
was hoping to discover new ones hehe as i haven't discovered a new good one in forever

These ones on top are more prog metal, but they have some of those elements. Very melodic:
Anubis Gate(Andromeda Unchained)
Seventh Wonder(Mercy Falls, Waiting in the Wings)
Circus Maximus(both albums)
Serenity(fallen sanctuary, death and legacy)

These are probably more geared to what you want however:
Symphony X(pretty much all of them, especially the ones before Paradise Lost)
Pyramaze - Legend of the Bone Carver
Shadow Gallery(Tyranny)

Why isn't Sadistik Exekution on that list!? Who could forget something like this?
I would change In Flames, Dark Tranquility and Cynic for Sadistik Exekution - Fukk, Acidental Suicide - Deceased and Convulse - World without god
Giant Robot said:
I'll have to check out Skin Chamber. I mistaken your post for Skinlab so I just dismissed yet, haha.
Haha, I was afraid that someone would misstaken them for Skinlab or Choal Chamber.
If you want some more good industrial metal (since the good stuff is pretty rare) I'd also recommend Dead World.
Warhammer
Dead World
Incorporeal Nemesis

CassSept

Gaspode_T said:
Lists and world rankings out of tens and thousands of great CDs is pretty silly...but on the other hand (and speaking as a Megadeth fanboy) Rust in Peace won the best metal album of all time at BNRMetal in 2010:

http://www.bnrmetal.com/v3/tourney/status/2010

It seems pretty widely agreed that Master of Puppets, Reign of Blood and Rust in Peace are in the top 10 in most lists that have "mainstream" metal...(not all death metal)
This tournament is weird all around
Sepultura Arise (4) def. Led Zeppelin 4 (13), 51% to 49%
Putting aside LZ being in The Best >Metal< Album of All Time, seriously?

Verano said:
nah, Blind Guardian is a hit or a miss.
Depends on your taste, I'd say that besides ANatO and ATitM they are fantastic all-around

MrHicks

Banned
Lionheart1827 said:
These ones on top are more prog metal, but they have some of those elements. Very melodic:
Anubis Gate(Andromeda Unchained)
Seventh Wonder(Mercy Falls, Waiting in the Wings)
Circus Maximus(both albums)
Serenity(fallen sanctuary, death and legacy)

These are probably more geared to what you want however:
Symphony X(pretty much all of them, especially the ones before Paradise Lost)
Pyramaze - Legend of the Bone Carver
Shadow Gallery(Tyranny)

i like what i'm hearing from pyramaze/shadow gallery an circus maximus
thx

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Valkyr Junkie said:
I sat next to Matt Heafy's mother on my flight to Japan last year.

\m/

Haha nice! I met the whole band on 9/11/09 in Long Island after the Crazy Donkey show.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I finally got around to checking out Septic Flesh after reading the impressions in here months ago. I love their newest album. Should I listen to Communion next?

Verano

sazabirules said:
I finally got around to checking out Septic Flesh after reading the impressions in here months ago. I love their newest album. Should I listen toCommunion next?

yes nad go for it also check out "Sumerian Demons" from them..extremely dark album...a bit thrashy, industrial, orchestral and blastbeats!

Cudder

FUUUUUUCK i had no idea Opeth had a new album out next month, let alone a single out. been so out of the metal loop :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom