• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmdajr

Gonna see Amon Amarth in a few......seconds!
IMAG0461.jpg

jmdajr said:
Gonna see Amon Amarth in a few......seconds!

JEALOUSY.

I was going to go to their show in Baltimore a few weeks back but there was just too much shit going on at home. Such a shame, they were playing at one of my favorite venues too.

Lionheart1827 said:
Dont forge Anubis Gate's new album which is out the same day as DT's. I know I recommended them once before(if you like progmetal).

Also, you should go into the relationship-age thread if you havent already. I'm sure some of them would like to know how you're doin.
Hell yeah! I've been spinning the new track from their upcoming album, and I really like it, especially the chorus. Metalsucks had a little writeup on the new album, saying it's close in sound to the golden-era of Queensryche. And I only know about Anubis Gate because of you, although I only have two of their albums. Andromeda Unchained is glorious, but I couldn't really get into The Detached. Anyway, for anyone interested here's the new song:
http://www.noisecreep.com/2011/08/25/anubis-gate-golden-days-song

Also on the prog front, Dream Theater released a sample from an upcoming track. Some badass riffage going on in it
http://www.youtube.com/user/RoadrunnerRecords

And yeah I posted in girl-age a few days ago, but damn does that thread move fast. I have a bunch of replies to (hopefully) catch up on.
eudaemonic said:
I love this post.
\m/ \m/

TheLastCandle said:
First thing's first!

The Devil You Know destroys faces! It was probably my favorite album of the year of it's release. Just absolutely crushingly heavy and rifftastic. A bunch of 60 year old men showing the metal world how it's done. Amazing.

Moonsorrow are so awesome, I'm glad to hear you are getting into them. Most people would probably agree that all of their albums are great, but to me their best album is definitely Kivenkantaja. The entire album actually gives off the Huuto vibe, so I think you'll really dig it. Right behind that one would be Voimasta Ja Kunniasta and then Verisakeet.

As for your post as a whole, well it was awesome! While it was especially awesome to be called out by name, this place really can be a treasure trove of new band info. As someone who has been listening to underground metal for a damn long time, this thread still tosses me new things that I've really liked and enjoyed. I've always admired how one of the threads with some of the most civilized discussions on GAF is about Metal.

Also, nothing goes along with Metal quite like some booze! Bro-fist, my good man, bro-fist.

Long live Metal-GAF indeed!
I'll promptly get on checking out all of Moonsorrow's discography then. I've been making a conscious effort lately to explore bands I know I'll like yet have been putting off for a while. Time to expand that metal knowledge! I'd love to get to a point where I'm as informed and experienced with the genre as some people in this thread, yourself included.

And yes, the only thing that goes better with booze than metal is a pretty lady

Mr. Paer said:
Hell yeah! I've been spinning the new track from their upcoming album, and I really like it, especially the chorus. Metalsucks had a little writeup on the new album, saying it's close in sound to the golden-era of Queensryche. And I only know about Anubis Gate because of you, although I only have two of their albums. Andromeda Unchained is glorious, but I couldn't really get into The Detached. Anyway, for anyone interested here's the new song:
http://www.noisecreep.com/2011/08/25/anubis-gate-golden-days-song

Also on the prog front, Dream Theater released a sample from an upcoming track. Some badass riffage going on in it
http://www.youtube.com/user/RoadrunnerRecords

Yeah there is also another site that has clips of each Anubis Gate song here:

http://myglobalmind.com/7551/anubis-gate-–-anubis-gate/

And there are a bunch of snippets from the new DT album:

Lost Not Forgotten
Breaking All Illusions
Beneath the Surface
This is the Life

Just finished listening to Atriarch's Forever the End (members from Graves at Sea and Trees). Wow, what a great album. One of the best releases of the year. Doom metal with lots of death rock influences and some black metal.
You can listen to the whole album for free and buy it here. It's available in name your price download(320k mp3, FLAC etc..) CD and vinyl(comes with download of the album).

Azuran said:
YES! I absolutely love Chuck's vocal style in that album. It's a shame we never got another one like it.

I'm not really into death metal, but the vocal style on that album is so so fantastic that I adore the record, and I love the band as a result. Just... Amazing.

Chorazin

Spectacular Dr Dawg said:
Just finished listening to Atriarch's Forever the End (members from Graves at Sea and Trees). Wow, what a great album. One of the best releases of the year. Doom metal with lots of death rock influences and some black metal.
You can listen to the whole album for free and buy it here. It's available in name your price download(320k mp3, FLAC etc..) CD and vinyl(comes with download of the album).

Ugh, not to be a stereotype but having one of the tags be Christian turned me right off. :(

lopaz

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
Doubt anyone cares...but I just chilled with the guys from Black Tide for the past 3-4 hours. Made friends and shit. Those guys are mad cool.

Badass :D. Tell them their new stuff sucks :mad:

Chorazin

Haha! That's Christian Death! One of the best known deathrock bands and a big influence on them. Their music isn't christian at all!
Hah, we'll I stand corrected. That tag plus the crosses in their logo made me think I was gonna get a sermon about Jebus.

I'll check it out when I get home from work, promise. :)

OT: Is there a list of MetalGAF members that are on Google+? I need more cool people!

Mordeccai

Don't know how you guys feel about The Devil Wears Prada but their new album is up for streaming. I think its pretty awesome, with Born to Lose being my favorite on the album.

http://www.deadthrone.com/

Also, has anyone heard of this band called Enter Shikari? I listened to them today and had to shake my head in disappointment.

Aske

Flynn said:
I'm not sure where I stand in this debate. Tossing Melissa into the mix to keep things interesting.

Abigail trumps Conspiracy for my money, but I agree - both are great albums. And Melissa is straight up flawless. If you're in the mood for some Fate, give Dead Again a spin. It doesn't get enough love. Amazing album.

I have a difficult time choosing between "Abigail" and "Them", myself. I really like the drums (and everything else) on "Welcome Home", though. I think I'll go with "Them".

Listening to Anubis Gate's "The Detatched" for the first time right now. I like.

Edit: Just finished listening to the entire album. It's a monster. Really, really awesome. Reminds me of a more off the wall Pagan's Mind. The production is fucking outrageous. So much shit going on at once, and yet everything is crystal clear. That guitar tone... ::drool::

Ok, so now onto the new Edguy.

I've given it a listen or two already, and I think it's pretty good. One of these days I'm going to just have to give up expecting an album like Hellfire Club from Tobias again, but lo and behold I cling to hope. That said, I really enjoy the more melodic, rocking Edguy we have these days. This album goes even farther in that direction, and I'd say this album is more power metal infused hard rock than hard rock infused power metal, which is what I would have classified their last few albums as. Has a very new-Avantasia vibe to a lot of it, which makes me wonder if Tobias' so-called "side project" may be his new baby. Still, I dig it for the most part.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
rexor0717 said:
I know I'm late on this, but I've just started to listen to Agalloch, and holy shit are they awesome.

Good man. Be sure to listen to all of their albums. They're all amazing. Also The White EP.

<--- Agalloch avatar. :D :D

TheLastCandle said:
Listening to Anubis Gate's "The Detatched" for the first time right now. I like.

Edit: Just finished listening to the entire album. It's a monster. Really, really awesome. Reminds me of a more off the wall Pagan's Mind. The production is fucking outrageous. So much shit going on at once, and yet everything is crystal clear. That guitar tone... ::drool::

Yeah that's a great album, but Andromeda Unchained is better imo. I forgot if you listened to that one yet. :p

"Options ~ Going Nowhere" is a great song and it immediately stood out through my first listen. "Pyramids" is also awesome as well as "Dodacahedron." The instrumental section in "Bloodoath" is so awesome which starts around 3:28. Also the reprise of the main lyric in "Lost In Myself" in "Ammonia Snow" is an awesome touch. The album is a concept album with a story(so does Andromeda Unchained) so all of the songs are connected.

The new Anubis Gate is out the same day as Dream Theater's this month. A great month for progmetal. :)

Demon Ice

Banned
Hey MetalGAF! This is my drum kit:

255615_10150663957710323_713065322_18838581_6782712_n.jpg

I do drum covers of songs from bands like Lamb of God, Dimmu Borgir, DevilDriver, A7x, etc and put them on Youtube at my channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/SpartanCarver?feature=mhee

I'm working on a few by bands like The Black Dahlia Murder and All Shall Perish, and a few lighter ones like Machine Head and Slipknot. So if you're into a pretty good mix of metal, check em out! I am also in the process of auditioning for Forbidden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig-LdKqlOn0 (This is one of the audition tunes we have to play)

Really great thrash metal.

wow, auditioning for Forbidden. Pretty big shoes to fill. good luck on it!
Can you do a cover of Mikkey Dee's stuff with King Diamond? Those are always fun to watch.

I've been listening to Sadistik Exekution today and decided to search GAF for fun and to my horror I only got 3 results. 1 was from a heavy metal cooking book and the other 2 were from me. So I declare today Sadistik Exekution day!
Sadistik Exekution are one of the most famous (and infamous) Australian death metal bands and one of my favorite death metal bands.
Insane vocals and awesome/dumb lyrics depending on who you ask, great guitarwork even though it's not very technical, awesome bass solos and blazing fast drumming.

pPL0n.jpg

The Magus
Their first album. It was recorded in 1986 but wasn't released until 1991. Would have been one of the first death metal albums if it was released after it was recorded. This is good old school death metal with some black metal mixed in. It's not as fast or chaotic as their later albums which makes it more approachable for newcomers.
The Magus
Cautness Darling Blood
yVfNq.jpg

We Are Death...Fukk You!
Their second album. Similiar sounding to their first album but with some of the later trademark Sadistik Exekution stuff like bass solos and screaming FUKK!! starting to appear on this album.
Elektrokution
Internal Klok
N0ZSe.jpg

K.A.O.S
Their third album. This is where they really found their sound. Blazing fast, more chaotic than their previous albums and lyrics consisting FUKK, shit, cunt and AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRGH!
Fukked up and Buried
Dejekta Infinituts

fnBLP.jpg

Dejekta Infinitus
Fukk
Their fourth album and probably my favorite. This has all the SadEx trademarks but with more variety and some slower songs too to break up the pace. The album is still blazing fast and faster than any of their previous albums.
Fukking Death
Spiritual Dynamix
VR7pN.jpg

Fukk II
Their fifth album. Even faster and more chaotic than their last album. Unlike Fukk which had a couple of slower metal songs the only slower tracks on this album are the non metal tracks like the intro/outro and one "noise" track.
Bleeding Insanity
Shit

Melchiah

yVfNq.jpg

We Are Death...Fukk You!
Their second album. Similiar sounding to their first album but with some of the later trademark Sadistik Exekution stuff like bass solos and screaming FUKK!! starting to appear on this album.
Internal Klok

My favorite song from the band.

Some bands I've listened to recently...

Aeternus: There's no Wine like the Blood's Crimson

Jotunspor: Gleipnirs Smeder

EDIT: Just heard from a friend of mine, that Sadistik Exekution's We Are Death... Fukk You! wasn't supposed to be titled as it was. Apparently one of the band members just sent a CD-R of the album to the label with that title. Must've been quite a surprise when they got the final product to their hands. =D

Melchiah said:
EDIT: Just heard from a friend of mine, that Sadistik Exekution's We Are Death... Fukk You! wasn't supposed to be titled as it was. Apparently one of the band members just sent a CD-R of the album to the label with that title. Must've been quite a surprise when they got the final product to their hands. =D
Haha, yeah it was because they were being called a black metal band because they were a big inspiration on the norwegian black metal scene.

Melchiah

Haha, yeah it was because they were being called a black metal band because they were a big inspiration on the norwegian black metal scene.

Or to Euronymous more precisely. =) I don't remember what SE album it was, but I liked one the band pics, where the guy had dozens of safety pins inserted to his arm.

blahness

Final lineup additions for Maryland Deathfest X have been announced:
BRUJERIA (Mexico)
AGALLOCH
ARCHGOAT (Finland)
YOB
DYING FETUS
BLACK WITCHERY
UNANIMATED (Sweden)
RORSCHACH
MORGION
NEEDFUL THINGS (Czech Republic)
DIE PIGEON DIE (Australia)
EXTERMINATION ANGEL

Full festival lineup:
MDF X
May 24-27, 2012

MORBID ANGEL
GODFLESH (UK)
ELECTRIC WIZARD (UK)
AUTOPSY
NAPALM DEATH (UK)
SAINT VITUS
ANVIL (Canada)
BRUJERIA (Mexico)
SUFFOCATION
EYEHATEGOD
ARTILLERY (Denmark)
CONFESSOR
WINTER
MORGOTH (Germany)
TSJUDER (Norway)
DYING FETUS
AGALLOCH
YOB
CHURCH OF MISERY (Japan)
UNSANE
DØDHEIMSGARD (Norway)
ARCHGOAT (Finland)
HORNA (Finland)
SARGEIST (Finland)
BLACK WITCHERY
BETHLEHEM (Germany)
DEMIGOD (Finland)
DESASTER (Germany)
NEGURA BUNGET (Romania)
MACABRE
UNANIMATED (Sweden)
RORSCHACH
MORGION
INTERMENT (Sweden)
HELLBASTARD (UK)
NOOTHGRUSH
GHOUL
DEMONICAL (Sweden)
THE DEVIL'S BLOOD (Netherlands)
RWAKE
HAEMORRHAGE (Spain)
DEVIATED INSTINCT (UK)
TODAY IS THE DAY
DISMA
ULCERATE (New Zealand)
OCTOBER 31
THE DAY EVERYTHING BECAME NOTHING (Australia)
LOOKING FOR AN ANSWER (Spain)
DRAGGED INTO SUNLIGHT (UK)
COKE BUST
AGENTS OF ABHORRENCE (Australia)
NASHGUL (Spain)
NAUSEA (California)
COUGH
NEEDFUL THINGS (Czech Republic)
BLOODY PHOENIX
INFERNAL STRONGHOLD
CASTEVET
DIE PIGEON DIE (Australia)
EXTERMINATION ANGEL
BACKSLIDER

MDF looks awesome this yea.
Godflesh
Demigod
Hellbastard
fucking MORGION!
Unanimated
Autopsy
Confessor
Winter

fucking hell.

and fuck yes to Sadistik Execution. Big fan of We Are Death...Fukk You!

Blackheim

Sheeeeeeeit...

New band called Vallenfyre:

Gregor Mackintosh (PARADISE LOST) - Vocals and Lead Guitar
Hamish Glencross (MY DYING BRIDE) - Rhythm and Lead Guitar
Mully - Rhythm Guitar
Scoot (DOOM, EXTINCTION OF MANKIND) - Bass
Adrian Erlandsson (AT THE GATES, PARADISE LOST) - Drums

Song sample here.

Just figured I would chime in with a few fun facts.

- I've had a few adult beverages
- I'm watching the Big Four DVD
- I just took a piss while headbanging to Wake Up Dead with the door wide open.

Happy Weekend, MetalGAF! \m/

Opeth's new album its out on the internets.
Just listen to it, ITS FUCKING GLORIOUS. But metalheads will not like it, its more jazz-fusion/blues

Goddamn I love this band so much

I just back from watching heavy metal parking lot on the big screen and a very drunk Chris Needham which was part of the Home of Metal exhibition. It was a very enjoyable evening indeed celebrating 25 years of heavy metal parking lot, with free rum. Nice!

The "home of metal" is a celebration of exhibitions and events celebrating Birmingham and the Black Country, UK as the birthplace of heavy metal btw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom