• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
DrM said:
Iced Earth are giving away free Dante's Inferno with Stu Block as free download on their FB profile

Listening right now, and Stu sounds GREAT. Hot damn, hype building for the new album.

Flynn said:
My mother-in-law and sister-in-law are both opera fans -- they're really into the vocalists, they go to tons of operas and personally know their favorite singers (I guess it is pretty easy to get access to these guys).

Anyway, they've just gotten into Rammstein which seems weird at first, but it's a bit about crushing on Till Lindemann and being into his singing. But they're going all out. In the spring they're gonna fly to the UK and see three shows (my wife

So, I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions for other bands they might dig. These bands don't have to sound like Rammstein, in fact I was thinking some power metal or symphonic or whatever might be up their alley. I guess the key here is that the vocals have to be superb. I think cookie monster stuff will be a hard sell.

Kamelot would be what I would suggest, and maybe some of the newer Avantasia stuff. Very easy to get into, most songs have simple enough structures, but wonderful vocal work and great songwriting.

Orayn said:
Woo! Seeing Kamelot (with Fabio!) and Alestorm on Friday at Station 4 in St. Paul!

Jealoussssssss. : /

DrM

Redmond's Baby
TheLastCandle said:
Listening right now, and Stu sounds GREAT. Hot damn, hype building for the new album.
I was quite surprised with his performance. Quality wise, of course ;)

Ravager61

Phobophile said:
If it's not as good as their last LP, then it's not that good. They'll never top Diadem of 12 Stars.

Two Hunters is a better album imo. I've listened to the new one and thought it was pretty good. I didn't care for their last one at all.

Megadeth's Public Enemy No. 1 is streaming here:

http://www.megadeth.com/

No bad, typical Megadeth.

Megadeth's 13 Track list:

CD VERSION
1. Sudden Death
2. Public Enemy No. 1
3. Whose Life (Is It Anyways?)
4. We the People
5. Guns, Drugs & Money
6. Never Dead
7. New World Order
8. Fast Lane
9. Black Swan
10. Wrecker
11. Millennium of the Blind
12. Deadly Nightshade
13. 13

WTF??? two of the tracks, Black Swan and Millennium I instantly recognize from previous albums!! Kinda strange...

EDIT: NWO too wtf....

Maddog

HammerOfThor said:

WTF??? two of the tracks, Black Swan and Millennium I instantly recognize from previous albums!! Kinda strange...

Well to be fair they were really only on previous albums as bonus tracks / demos so I guess these are the "official" versions. Still somewhat lame.

Gritesh

Not sure how respected In this moment are in the metal scene as I am not THAT involved in the scene, but.

Holy hell at the singer!

That is all.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Gritesh said:
Not sure how respected In this moment are in the metal scene as I am not THAT involved in the scene, but.

Holy hell at the singer!

That is all.

Well your first sentence makes absolutely no sense, but I'm assuming you're talking about the vox on the Megadeth track. Sounds like typical shitty Mustaine to me. I really like Rust in Peace but I sure as hell ain't listening to it for Dave's crooning.

Gritesh

Phobophile said:
Well your first sentence makes absolutely no sense, but I'm assuming you're talking about the vox on the Megadeth track. Sounds like typical shitty Mustaine to me. I really like Rust in Peace but I sure as hell ain't listening to it for Dave's crooning.

Huh?

The band: In This Moment, the singer is super hot?

HammerOfThor said:

I really like it. But then again I'm a bitch for Megadeth.
I'm kinda glad I haven't heard the demos of any of those songs, it'll all feel fresh to me. I'm excited.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
8540.Venera_2D00_Trial-_2600_-Tribulation.jpg

Been listening to Dekadent's "Venera: Trial & Tribulation" and holy fuck is it amazingly epic.

Imagine if Emperor made an album with Devin Townsend.

Yes, they're that fucking good.

Also, I just heard a track from the new Primordial album. Woah. Anywhere I can buy a FLAC or WAV version of the album legally?

Witchfinder General said:
8540.Venera_2D00_Trial-_2600_-Tribulation.jpg

Been listening to Dekadent's "Venera: Trial & Tribulation" and holy fuck is it amazingly epic.

Imagine if Emperor made an album with Devin Townsend.

Yes, they're that fucking good.

Also, I just heard a track from the new Primordial album. Woah. Anywhere I can buy a FLAC or WAV version of the album legally?

Then I'd imagine the track "Juular" from Deconstruction ;)

But yeah this is pretty frickin' good, we need to start doing this more in the thread...just name drop a good album some people might not know about, add a song link and let the good music flow.

Here's what I've been jamming lately:

40%2BWatt%2BSun%2B-%2BThe%2BInside%2BRoom.jpg

It's basically like Warning except less bleak and more beautiful than Watching From A Distance, one of my favorite albums of the year for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgJcsDbj-qI

Fuck, Heritage. I really don't know what to think of this album, it's so divisive to my ears. Which makes a change to be honest, as I was totally indifferent towards Watershed & Ghost Reveries. I feel the album gets a hell of a lot stronger in it's second half and it's only really The Devil's Orchid and I Feel the Dark that really let the album down, and it's a shame that those two tracks are right after the intro. I love Nepenthe and Folklore and Marrow of the Earth is beautiful, but a lot of the lyrics and vocal melodies throughout don't instantly grab me in the way I expect an Opeth album to. I hope that changes with repeated listens. So far I'd say it's their best since Damnation/Deliverance, but fuck, I really do not like those early tracks.

Unrelated, but check out Ice Dragon - a friend just sent me to their bandcamp and they play a blend of awesome spacey, Sabbathy doom. Their 2010 release is free (if you chose);

http://icedragon.bandcamp.com/album/the-burl-the-earth-the-aether

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Secks4Food said:
Then I'd imagine the track "Juular" from Deconstruction ;)

But yeah this is pretty frickin' good, we need to start doing this more in the thread...just name drop a good album some people might not know about, add a song link and let the good music flow.

Here's what I've been jamming lately:

40%2BWatt%2BSun%2B-%2BThe%2BInside%2BRoom.jpg

It's basically like Warning except less bleak and more beautiful than Watching From A Distance, one of my favorite albums of the year for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgJcsDbj-qI

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26323379&postcount=4758

Old.

They're on tour now. Gonna hit up the Chicago show in a couple weeks.

It's more atmospheric but lacks the stark emotion of Watching from a Distance.

Kaladin

If you like doom or sludge, check out Hank III's new band Attention Deficit Domination. On the album he does all the instruments and writing. I saw them live Monday night and it was just him on vocals/guitar with a drummer. It was an awesome live show and it was before the album came out so most hadn't heard any of it except for shitty youtube videos. He played most of the album and a Sleep cover. Everyone there seemed to enjoy it. It's probably the first time I've ever seen a metal band live before hearing the record and was able to understand the lyrics live.

I Feel Sacrificed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw5-a5c_th4

Phobophile said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26323379&postcount=4758

Old.

They're on tour now. Gonna hit up the Chicago show in a couple weeks.

It's more atmospheric but lacks the stark emotion of Watching from a Distance.

Well damn, apparently they're too cool for Denver...and I agree with your criticism, though Watching From A Distance is damn tough act to follow.

Here's a post of mine from on of the 'what are you listening to' threads... it kinda reminds me of Warning, except much more melancholy:

Secks4Food said:
303251.jpg

Loss-Despond

Damn this is good. Unrelentingly sloooooow, crushing funeral death/doom occasionally spiced with other genres for flavor. It's deceptively melodic, beneath the ghost-like growling there are beautiful guitar harmonies, meandering basslines, and very tasteful, effective drumming. It's also very cathartic, there's a certain burden you take on while listening to this album. The whole piece is a concept album about the thought process behind suicide, and it unapologetically drags you through the lowest lows a person can feel. When the otherworldly choir rings out its final note in the album closer "The Irreparable Act", you feel a beautiful warmth wash across your body like everything's going to be okay. If you like doom metal at all you need Despond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk78mkiMD78

Secks4Food said:
Well damn, apparently they're too cool for Denver...and I agree with your criticism, though Watching From A Distance is damn tough act to follow.

Here's a post of mine from on of the 'what are you listening to' threads... it kinda reminds me of Warning, except much more melancholy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk78mkiMD78
Great album! You should check out Pallbearer. The vocalist did some vocals on one of the tracks on that Loss album. They only have a demo out currently but there's a full lenght coming out soon. They were also nice enough to release their demo for free on their bandcamp page.

Spectacular Dr Dawg said:
Great album! You should check out Pallbearer. The vocalist did some vocals on one of the tracks on that Loss album. They only have a demo out currently but there's a full lenght coming out soon. They were also nice enough to release their demo for free on their bandcamp page.

Thanks for that, I'm kinda new to the funeral doom scene, other than Loss I've only checked out Worship and Skepticism...I've heard mention of Pallbearer before but never actually checked them out 'til now, they sound great. Too bad Worship took the whole funeral thing a little too seriously :(

Aske

Spectacular Dr Dawg said:
Haha that's a different Loss. It seems like their music is available for free from their website. That's pretty nice of them.

There's a Loss for everyone!

...As long as everyone likes groovy old school death metal or meandering funeral death-doom.

Doomshine

Secks4Food said:
Thanks for that, I'm kinda new to the funeral doom scene
I never thought Funeral Doom was for me, but I ended up really liking Ahab's The Call of the Wretched Sea.

I should probably check out more from the genre when I have the opportunity.

ShaneB

Little late, but the new Dante's Inferno mix puts to rest any issue I had with Stu being in Iced Earth (besides the fact that I wish Ripper was still in the band). I hated Into Eternity, but he slays on this.

Now it's up to Jon to actually write some good music.

lopaz

Banned
ShaneB said:
Little late, but the new Dante's Inferno mix puts to rest any issue I had with Stu being in Iced Earth (besides the fact that I wish Ripper was still in the band). I hated Into Eternity, but he slays on this.

Now it's up to Jon to actually write some good music.

I like Stu's voice a lot, but I thought the new DI recording was a complete phone-in from him. Hopefully he puts in some more passion on the album.

Isocr4cy

Sybreed just posted a 20 second song teaser on their facebook page...
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150312514337248

Sounds really promising; like a mix between Antares and The Pulse of Awakening. This, along with the song they released a few months ago, Challenger, have me really excited for the new album.

Also, for those who haven't heard it yet, another song off of Insomnium's One For Sorrow hit youtube last week. Quality isn't the best but it's very listenable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Da_uvSpL0

Edit: Forgot to mention that Disarmonia Mundi's new project with Elliot Sloan seems to be nearing completion. On Elliot's website it says that 'The Stranded's' new EP is almost finished.

600px-DTOE_DT.jpg

This album. THIS FUCKING ALBUM! It is glorious.

Dream Theater needed a fresh start, but with Portnoy leaving nobody really knew if the band would be better off. I am happy to say that yes, they most definitely are. This album is exactly the "revival" that Dream Theater needed. It still retains that classic DT sound, but it also feels very new for the band.

Mangini's drumming is phenomenal, which is to be expected. Portnoy is a drumming god, but Mangini displays just as much talent here as Portnoy ever has. The percussion is tight, interesting, and fits perfectly with the songs.

Which brings me to my next point... all of the tracks actually work as good pieces of music. Some DT songs in the past have suffered from an over-reliance on technical wankery, to the point where the music itself was compromised. Not so here. Restraint is shown when need be, and the sections that are mind-blowingly complex and fast always fit within the context of the song.

The album has such range to it... one minute Petrucci will be melting your face off with a blazingly fast and crushing riff, and the next minute Rudess will seamlessly come in with a soaring piano melody. There is a big spectrum of emotion on this album, to the point where no one musical style overstays its welcome. There is no doubt, this is one of the most progressive albums Dream Theater has ever created

Sure, some people will still say Labrie is the weak link in the band, or that some of the lyrics aren't poetic enough, but since I already expected that I wasn't surprised by it.

And that's not to say those aspects are bad... Labrie has some really interesting melody lines during some of the choruses, and none of the lyrics are as goofy as those in The Count of Tuscany (which is my favorite song from BCaSL).

This is one of those few "all killer, no filler" albums. Some songs are better than others (like Breaking All Illusions... holy FUCK is that song incredible), but every track is worth listening to.

Bottom line is this: when my biggest problem with an album is the cover art, I know it's something I'll be continually going back and listening to for years to come

Bootaaay said:
Fuck, Heritage. I really don't know what to think of this album, it's so divisive to my ears. Which makes a change to be honest, as I was totally indifferent towards Watershed & Ghost Reveries. I feel the album gets a hell of a lot stronger in it's second half and it's only really The Devil's Orchid and I Feel the Dark that really let the album down, and it's a shame that those two tracks are right after the intro. I love Nepenthe and Folklore and Marrow of the Earth is beautiful, but a lot of the lyrics and vocal melodies throughout don't instantly grab me in the way I expect an Opeth album to. I hope that changes with repeated listens. So far I'd say it's their best since Damnation/Deliverance, but fuck, I really do not like those early tracks.

Yeah I'm a huge Opeth fan and I've listened to it about 5 times all the way through now.

I was prepared for the no-growling thing and I'm fine with that. But I don't know, this album just doesn't seem to be doing a lot for me. Of course I'll listen to it 100 more times at least and maybe it will fit right in eventually.

The first half of Folklore is so good, though, that it's almost enough to satisfy me even without anything else.

Mr. Paer said:
600px-DTOE_DT.jpg

This album. THIS FUCKING ALBUM! It is glorious.

Yup, this album is awesome. Cant stop listening to it. I was worried at first with Portnoy out last year, but it seems it refreshed their sound and it sounds amazing.

Kind of odd that Dream Theater made a pretty heavy album while Opeth is going the opposite direction. And I only mention those two particular bands because they've both got albums coming out.

After listening to the new Dream Theater, I like it. But it seems really different from Black Clouds and Silver Linings. It's hard to describe why. I think Petrucci's guitar tone sounds really different for whatever reason, especially during some solos. And like I say, with a few exceptions the whole album is pretty heavy, which is fine.

But going back to listen to The Count of Tuscany after listening to the new album, it's strikingly different in both feeling and sonically.

ShaneB

New Nightrage album is available. Have really enjoyed every album these guys have put out, and have been waiting for this release for a while, going to be my music at the gym tonight, excellent!

This amazing year of metal keeps on giving.

Chorazin

I've been listening to Moonsorrow's discography over the past few days, holy fuck these guys are incredible! Anyone who's not listening to them is really missing out.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Flynn said:
The second record by Bosse-de-Nage (SF USBM) is easily one of my favorite records this year. My CD finally arrived and I've been listening to it non-stop.

3xEuG.jpg

Full album stream here if you're curious.

Okay, the drums on this album are absolutely blowing me away. Holy shit. Fantastic album.

Oh, also, the Drudkh/Neige collaboration Old Silver Key will be releasing their debut album "Burnt Letters" today. Pretty excited for it, myself.

Chorazin said:
I've been listening to Moonsorrow's discography over the past few days, holy fuck these guys are incredible! Anyone who's not listening to them is really missing out.

INDEED. They may be my favorite discovery of the past 5 years or so. Love 'em. Epic as FUCK.

Mr. Paer said:
I want to hear what other people think of the new Dream Theater album! Come on people!

I shall hopefully be able to get back to you on this very shortly, my good man.

I've been absent in this thread for a bit now, and I must throw in my few cents about the new Iced Earth rerecording of Dante's Inferno. I think it's quite good, and I think Stu does a great job. The only thing I'm not super keen on are the solos, which don't seem to have the super twisted/warped thing going on anymore. Come on, Troy... you aren't a bad guitar player but after seeing videos of you botch a bunch of stuff live and now injecting fucking BLUES into Dante's Inferno, you need to unleash the beast on the new record.

Speaking of the new record, I hope and pray to the metal gods that it doesn't suck. Just give me another Something Wicked, I don't need another Burnt Offerings or Stormrider in terms of quality. Just give me something with a bazillion gallops and awesome soaring vocals.

Kaladin

This is the month I have been waiting on all year. Anthrax, Dream Theater, Opeth, Mastodon, Wolves In The Throne Room, Steven Wilson solo album....fuck. Plus I get to see Wolves In The Throne Room on 9/24 and Opeth on 9/30! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom