• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kad5

I'm looking for some good metal albums. I want to expand my musical taste. Please suggest any must have albums.

Blackheim

Kad5 said:
I'm looking for some good metal albums. I want to expand my musical taste. Please suggest any must have albums.

Well, what metal do you like already, if any? What elements of music do you find yourself attracted to? Metal is a super huge genre and I'm sure there's something within it for you :)

Cudder

SpartanForce said:
Opeth's new album its out on the internets.
Just listen to it, ITS FUCKING GLORIOUS. But metalheads will not like it, its more jazz-fusion/blues

Goddamn I love this band so much
oh fuck.

Kad5

Blackheim said:
Well, what metal do you like already, if any? What elements of music do you find yourself attracted to? Metal is a super huge genre and I'm sure there's something within it for you :)

I'm liking Metallica and really enjoying uneXpect's album In a flesh aquarium.

I'm very open minded when it comes to music so don't be afraid to suggest anything that may be different as long as it's good.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Blackheim said:
Sheeeeeeeit...

New band called Vallenfyre:

Gregor Mackintosh (PARADISE LOST) - Vocals and Lead Guitar
Hamish Glencross (MY DYING BRIDE) - Rhythm and Lead Guitar
Mully - Rhythm Guitar
Scoot (DOOM, EXTINCTION OF MANKIND) - Bass
Adrian Erlandsson (AT THE GATES, PARADISE LOST) - Drums

Song sample here.

Members of Paradise Lost and MDB together on an album... this would have been unthinkable 20 years ago. I'll definitely grab their album when it's out.

Blackheim said:
Sheeeeeeeit...

New band called Vallenfyre:

Gregor Mackintosh (PARADISE LOST) - Vocals and Lead Guitar
Hamish Glencross (MY DYING BRIDE) - Rhythm and Lead Guitar
Mully - Rhythm Guitar
Scoot (DOOM, EXTINCTION OF MANKIND) - Bass
Adrian Erlandsson (AT THE GATES, PARADISE LOST) - Drums

Song sample here.
Sounds pretty good. Even though I'm really only a fan of the bands the bassist has been in haha.

Gaspode_T

Kad5 said:
I'm liking Metallica and really enjoying uneXpect's album In a flesh aquarium.

I'm very open minded when it comes to music so don't be afraid to suggest anything that may be different as long as it's good.

Hmmm, I would use something like Pandora

A lot of Metal veterans tend especially of the ADD variety like songs with extremely high BPM (super fast death metal/thrash metal) but the slower stuff is cool too.

Just throwing out some random names for you to plugin to Pandora/Youtube:

Opeth,
Soilwork,
Testament,
Evile,
Nevermore,
Lamb of God,
God Forbid

sHyt5.jpg

fuck my ass this Today is the Day album is incredible

Polk

Samael started it's European Tour last friday.
I went to their first concert in small club in Poland (maybe 300-400 people).
Apart from some unnanounced support bands (one sounded like Guano Apes, the other like No Doubt), it was fucking great.
Both official support bands (Melechesh and Keep of Kalessin) were also great.
Overall 5.5h of music (or 4 of great music and 1.5 of filler) for only $20.

IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0081.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg

Blackheim

Kad5 said:
Any good melodic/symphonic metal bands or stoner metal bands worth mentioning? How is Electric Wizard?

I'm liking this song by uneXpect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piaIjkxNjaY

Hmm, I'll recommend Arcturus. The albums La Masquerade Infernale and The Sham Mirrors.

The Chaos Path

Alone

Kinetic

Radical Cut

As for Stoner ummm, I like Sheavy a lot:

Synchronized

Pictures of You

There are others I like a lot too, I'm just drawing a blank because I'm about to head out the door :/ Maybe later...

Kad5 said:
Any good melodic/symphonic metal bands or stoner metal bands worth mentioning? How is Electric Wizard?

I'm not really into the symphonic stuff at all so I'm not the best person to answer this.
Maybe try Nazxul's Iconoclast or Black Seed EP. Personally I prefer their first album Totem but It's not symphonic at all.
World Oblivion
Oath (Fides Resurrectio)
Vow of Vengeance

As for stoner-ish stuff.
Sleep - Dragonaut
Indian - Unquiet Sky
Ufomammut - Smoke
Church of Misery - Masters of Brutality

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Kad5 said:

Septicflesh- Communion and the Great Mass albums should sate your thirst.

Kad5 said:

Try out the following, bit similar to Unexpect

Sigh (I'd recommend Imaginary Sonicscape for you)
http://youtu.be/z4qYCqBNs6Y
http://youtu.be/sLbN99MiW3E

Diablo Swing Orchestra
http://youtu.be/osTu38yuuHo
http://youtu.be/gsmAF9cVPm4

Ram-Zet
http://youtu.be/KRFOoMFiNGk

Electric Wizard is amazing. Just listen to this http://youtu.be/sO7VP34n2Ps

I've been listening to Ygg lately. I quite like it, Ukranian black metal
http://youtu.be/6R0M5hRynpA

Flynn

I have an interesting problem for you guys.

My mother-in-law and sister-in-law are both opera fans -- they're really into the vocalists, they go to tons of operas and personally know their favorite singers (I guess it is pretty easy to get access to these guys).

Anyway, they've just gotten into Rammstein which seems weird at first, but it's a bit about crushing on Till Lindemann and being into his singing. But they're going all out. In the spring they're gonna fly to the UK and see three shows (my wife

So, I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions for other bands they might dig. These bands don't have to sound like Rammstein, in fact I was thinking some power metal or symphonic or whatever might be up their alley. I guess the key here is that the vocals have to be superb. I think cookie monster stuff will be a hard sell.

I think part of the appeal of Rammstein's metal for them is the cleanliness of the riffs. Does that make sense?

We love Priest but haven't tried selling them on the glory that is Halford. Maybe we're saving that for later. Any ideas?

Gaspode_T

Flynn said:

My mother-in-law and sister-in-law are both opera fans -- they're really into the vocalists, they go to tons of operas and personally know their favorite singers (I guess it is pretty easy to get access to these guys).

Anyway, they've just gotten into Rammstein which seems weird at first, but it's a bit about crushing on Till Lindemann and being into his singing. But they're going all out. In the spring they're gonna fly to the UK and see three shows (my wife

So, I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions for other bands they might dig. These bands don't have to sound like Rammstein, in fact I was thinking some power metal or symphonic or whatever might be up their alley. I guess the key here is that the vocals have to be superb. I think cookie monster stuff will be a hard sell.

I think part of the appeal of Rammstein's metal for them is the cleanliness of the riffs. Does that make sense?

We love Priest but haven't tried selling them on the glory that is Halford. Maybe we're saving that for later. Any ideas?

Nightwish,
In This Moment,
Amberian Dawn,
Symphony X,
Gamma Ray,
Holy Grail

Flynn

Interesting. I hadn't thought of Dio. Will see if I can find a good entry point to them.

Thanks for those suggestions, Gaspode_T. I don't really listen to those bands so they wouldn't have come to mind. Will investigate.

faridmon

Flynn said:

Eoica would be perfect for them. A very symphonic with lot of emotion induced into the songs and the mezzo-soprano vocals from Simone simons is very opera like.

Especially thier Album, Consign to Oblivion, which is more focused towards orchestration than other Epica releases and features heavy use of a chorus.

Tombad

Neo Member
Flynn said:

I'm deviating from the power/symphonic metal suggestion here but Turmion Kätilöt could be something they could enjoy. It has been compared with Rammstein from their first album onwards. Note that the lyrics are somewhat vulgar (in Finnish anyway) and the whole band is regarded as a comedy act in some circles. Not something I enjoy listening all the time, but rather every once in a while.

Blackheim

Flynn said:

Virgin Black maybe: Renaissance & Our Wings Are Burning

Flynn said:

In addition to the others listed, Blind Guardian albums such as Night at the Opera, Nightfall in Middle Earth, Imaginations From the Other Side, etc.

Also check out Seventh Wonder's "Mercy Falls", "Waiting in the Wings" and "The Great Escape." The singer has a pretty soulful voice, not sure if its down your alley though, but its good.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Just wanted to thank whoever it was that posted a video from Pagan's Mind. They are now one of my favorite bands! I only have Heavenly Ecstasy and God's Equation but am looking forward to checking out the rest of the stuff. The raw energy on these two albums is so amazing that every time I listen to them I can't help but head bang!

Who has heard Unexpect's latest, Fables Of The Sleepless Empire? This kind of stuff is usually a bit too crazy for me, but holy shit, are there some awesome passages.

http://youtu.be/2k0f-ZxRJ_A
http://youtu.be/7W2BXH5j-k4

'Mechanical Phoenix' has one of the coolest fucking leads I've heard in a long time (second half of the song) and the chorus in 'The Quantum Symphony' is just all kinds of catchy awesome. I guarantee you've not heard a lot of metal like this.

Doomshine said:
Lost Horizon? I'm mainly going on the "good singer" criteria.

King Diamond if you're feeling adventurous.

Both Daniel Heiman and King Diamond are amazing vocalists. And you simple cannot broach this topic without mentioning Pain of Salvation's Daniel Gildenlow.

For the latter, check out The Perfect Element, One Hour By The Concret Lake and Remedy Lane; easily the best PoS has to offer.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Cynic releasing a new EP this November. Fuck yes!

http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/09/06/cynic-will-release-a-new-ep-in-november/

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Anyone hear the new Wolves in the Throne Room yet?

It's pretty good. I don't like it as much as their last album yet, but then I've only listened to it once.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Seraphis Cain said:
Anyone hear the new Wolves in the Throne Room yet?

It's pretty good. I don't like it as much as their last album yet, but then I've only listened to it once.

If it's not as good as their last LP, then it's not that good. They'll never top Diadem of 12 Stars.

Drinkel

Flynn said:
Kamelot might work. Their vocalist is amazing, but has a tendency to become boring after awhile.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Phobophile said:
If it's not as good as their last LP, then it's not that good. They'll never top Diadem of 12 Stars.

Diadem is a great album, but I personally don't think they'll ever top Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog. That's just the best goddamn song.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Iced Earth are giving away free Dante's Inferno with Stu Block as free download on their FB profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom