• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fleet_of_Foot said:
Kind of odd that Dream Theater made a pretty heavy album while Opeth is going the opposite direction. And I only mention those two particular bands because they've both got albums coming out.

After listening to the new Dream Theater, I like it. But it seems really different from Black Clouds and Silver Linings. It's hard to describe why. I think Petrucci's guitar tone sounds really different for whatever reason, especially during some solos. And like I say, with a few exceptions the whole album is pretty heavy, which is fine.

But going back to listen to The Count of Tuscany after listening to the new album, it's strikingly different in both feeling and sonically.

He is using the new Mesa Boogie Mark V on the whole album if I read correctly, so that might be where slight differences come from.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Secks4Food said:
Well damn, apparently they're too cool for Denver...and I agree with your criticism, though Watching From A Distance is damn tough act to follow.

Here's a post of mine from on of the 'what are you listening to' threads... it kinda reminds me of Warning, except much more melancholy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk78mkiMD78

Yeah I thought I was going to be able to make the 40 Watt Sun show in Chicago but I realized I've been booked on that date for months. It's the same day as my homebrew club's Oktoberfest. Fuck. Oh well.

Flynn

Seraphis Cain said:
Oh, also, the Drudkh/Neige collaboration Old Silver Key will be releasing their debut album "Burnt Letters" today. Pretty excited for it, myself.

Thanks for the reminder on Old Silver Key. Need to grab that.

GdUHb.jpg

I've been listening to the new Corrupted album Garten der unbewusstheit and I like it a lot. It's more atmospheric than their earlier records and more melancholic than crushing which is why it's gotten some mixed reactions.
Gekkou no daichi (I have no idea why that guy added 20 minutes of silence)

oaJ1g.jpg

Pyramido - Salt
Awesome doom metal band from Sweden. Their sound is like a mix of Electric Wizard and Iron Monkey with a hint of Grief and Skitsystem. This is their second album and I prefer it over their debut Sand.
Walking blind
Left to rot
aNM34.jpg

Gloomy Sunday - Beyond good and evil
Great crusty doom/sludge band from Sweden. I hope they make more albums cause this one is great!
Beyond the light
Not many tracks on youtube unfortunately. Their myspace page has more tracks.

Doomshine

Chorazin said:
I've been listening to Moonsorrow's discography over the past few days, holy fuck these guys are incredible! Anyone who's not listening to them is really missing out.
I know, there's something about their music that comes across as really genuine and honest. I hate when it feels like a band is forcing it or intentionally pandering to a certain crowd.

shamanick

I haven't really kept up with the scene, but I'm interested in finding new bands. I was really into the 80's thrash bands back in the day, now the only metal bands I really listen to are Opeth and Mastodon. Can anyone recommend some good proggy but heavy stuff?

shamanick

Bootaaay said:
While Heaven Wept - proggy, doom-tinged metal, really liked their latest album; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DpvCaDwjfw

Protest the Hero - technical prog metal stuff, pretty awesome; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA6LfeYwadA

The Ocean - progressive post-metal band from Germany; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCGIFoP-Io

Thanks for the replies! I actually forgot about PtH, that's the third metal band I listen to (and love). Gonna check out the other two.

Edit: Holy shit The Ocean is amazing. Thanks!

shamanick said:
I haven't really kept up with the scene, but I'm interested in finding new bands. I was really into the 80's thrash bands back in the day, now the only metal bands I really listen to are Opeth and Mastodon. Can anyone recommend some good proggy but heavy stuff?
Not really into prog but you might like Edge of Sanity's Crimson. The vocalist from Opeth does some vocals on it.
Or maybe Ved Buens Ende's Written In Waters
Carrier of wounds
Den saakaldte
I sang for the swans

Fugu

I'm always looking for new bands to listen to and I figure this might be a decent place to get a recommendation. I'm looking mostly for experimental/avant-garde stuff, the more dissonant the better. Any ideas?

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Flynn said:
The second record by Bosse-de-Nage (SF USBM) is easily one of my favorite records this year. My CD finally arrived and I've been listening to it non-stop.

3xEuG.jpg

Full album stream here if you're curious.

Thanks for the rec. There's usually a 50-50 chance I'll like modern black metal but this first track is already promising. There's plenty of orthodox black metal aesthetic intertwined with the modern BM nuances.

Ceres

Banned
Fugu said:
I'm always looking for new bands to listen to and I figure this might be a decent place to get a recommendation. I'm looking mostly for experimental/avant-garde stuff, the more dissonant the better. Any ideas?

Unexpect
Arcturus
Leprous (Ihsahn's current backing band - lead singer of Emperor)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Phobophile said:
Thanks for the rec. There's usually a 50-50 chance I'll like modern black metal but this first track is already promising. There's plenty of orthodox black metal aesthetic intertwined with the modern BM nuances.

The drums, man. THE GODDAMN DRUMS.

I'm STILL in awe.

Damn it, I want to listen to that Bosse De Nage album, but I keep getting interrupted during the first song...from what little I heard, it sounded really good.

NGAMER9

Flynn said:
The second record by Bosse-de-Nage (SF USBM) is easily one of my favorite records this year. My CD finally arrived and I've been listening to it non-stop.

3xEuG.jpg

Full album stream here if you're curious.
Late to the party here, but I listened to the stream and it blew me away. For 4.50 on Amazon MP3 it's a steal. Thanks for posting.

The last few weeks I’ve been listening to Nokturnal Mortum – The Voice of Steel. I didn’t know about this album (though I had listened to some NM before) until winter 2010, which is a shame since it’s amazing. It’s a great brand of folk/(pagan) black metal, with lengthy songs. I’ve seen a couple of posters professing their love for Moonsorrow on the previous page, I think if you like them you should really listen to this album.

Some tracks
Valkyrie (if you don’t like the first three minutes because it’s too much BM, still give the rest a try.)
Ukraine
White Tower Amazing final track

NokturnalMortum-TheVoiceofSteel.jpg

The new Wolves in the Throne Room sounds really good. I wasn’t a fan of Black Cascade, I listened to it a couple of times but it didn’t click.

As for new releases, apart from Opeth, I’m looking forward to a new Sólstafir. Hard to characterise this, I’d say post-metal/sludge with some black metal . Here’s some tracks
http://youtu.be/qTj4z4-Cq-I
http://youtu.be/24UjuVlcRJo

Fugu said:

Sigh
Ephel Duath
Kekal
The Meads of Asphodel

I'm also liking Bosse de Nage

Fugu said:
Experimental/avant-garde is kind of vague but maybe you might enjoy the Ved Buens Ende album in the post above you.

Birushanah
Ikei
Karai part 1 and part 2

The Axis of Perdition
Entangled In Mannequin Limbs
Where The World Becomes Flesh

Old Lady Drivers
Citient Null
Vein Water

Yoga
Encante
Black Obelisk

Gnaw Their Tongues
Teeth That Leer Like Open Graves
Sawn Asunder And Left For The Beasts

The Human Quena Orchestra
Progress
Mores part 2

Halo
A Soft Place
Man Whore

Abruptum
Obscuritatem Advoco Amplectére Me part 1
In Umbra Malitiae Ambulabo, In Aeternum In Triumpho Tenebraum

Monarch
Dead Men Tell No Tales
Sabbat Noir II

These might not be metal but they might somewhat fit your description.
Skullflower - Can you feel it
Skullflower - Annihilating angel
Swans - A long hard screw (live video)
Swans - Blackout

I hope you find something you like!

Seraphis Cain said:
Holy fuck, someone besides me who likes Skullflower's Annihilating Angel.
Haha, yeah Skullflower are awesome. Have you checked out their latest album Fucked on a pile of corpses? It's got some black metal influences on it. Sounds very cool, as long as you like power electronics that is haha. Doesn't seem to be many tracks from it on youtube though.
Hanged man's seed

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Spectacular Dr Dawg said:
Haha, yeah Skullflower are awesome. Have you checked out their latest album Fucked on a pile of corpses? It's got some black metal influences on it. Sounds very cool, as long as you like power electronics that is haha. Doesn't seem to be many tracks from it on youtube though.
Hanged man's seed

Yep, that sounds like Skullflower, alright. :lol Good shit, didn't know he had a new album out.

Seanspeed

Banned
Mr. Paer said:
Mangini's drumming is phenomenal, which is to be expected. Portnoy is a drumming god, but Mangini displays just as much talent here as Portnoy ever has. The percussion is tight, interesting, and fits perfectly with the songs.
I've only heard "On the Backs of Angels", but the drums, while proficient and structurally sound, dont work for me at all. Portnoy had such a uniquely contrasting snare and bass drum sound and Mangini not only doesn't capture either element of DT's signature drum sound, but also manages to sound weak overall. I dont like it at all.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Strafer said:
The new record is great.

(Anthrax album cover)]

I heard a couple tracks from that recently. Now, I'm not really a big thrash fan, but what I heard...didn't really sound very thrash-y at all. Is this like the least thrash album Anthrax has done or something?

Flynn

Seraphis Cain said:
I heard a couple tracks from that recently. Now, I'm not really a big thrash fan, but what I heard...didn't really sound very thrash-y at all. Is this like the least thrash album Anthrax has done or something?

Their first record sounds like Priest!

Fugu

It is, indeed, kind of vague. However, such is the nature of experimentation.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'm working through the list now.

Fugu said:
It is, indeed, kind of vague. However, such is the nature of experimentation.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'm working through the list now.
True. If you want experimental music you should look into some old-school industrial.

Doomrider

djsandman said:
Anybody got any new sludge lately? I'm looking forward to the new Mastodon and Rwake in a couple of weeks.

I don't know if this has been pointed out yet or if you're even interested, but Amazon UK has 30 second samples of all the tracks from The Hunter. I'm not sure I like "Creature Lives" but everything else sounds pretty fucking awesome.

Kaladin

Doomrider said:
I don't know if this has been pointed out yet or if you're even interested, but Amazon UK has 30 second samples of all the tracks from The Hunter. I'm not sure I like "Creature Lives" but everything else sounds pretty fucking awesome.

My ears thank you.

ianp622

Fugu said:
If you want experimental, I don't know of anyone better than Kayo Dot/maudlin of the Well. They have a few dissonant songs (__on Limpid Form), but I'm not sure if they're metal enough for you.

Also, ISIS.

Azuran

Banned
Strafer said:
The new record is great.

61fyxTx3arL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

YES! Nice to see they still haven't lost it. I kinda lost faith in them so this was a nice surprise.

Seraphis Cain said:

Anthrax hasn't played thrash since Persistence of Time. They change their sound when Joey left, and John Bush joined the band.

zedge

Azuran said:
YES! Nice to see they still haven't lost it. I kinda lost faith in them so this was a nice surprise.

Anthrax hasn't played thrash since Persistence of Time. They change their sound when Joey left, and John Bush joined the band.

Even then I would hesitate to call Anthrax thrash.. I really like them, new album is great but they are not what I would consider thrash metal. Even State of Euphoria was not really thrashy, Antisocial was like a rock anthem for petes sake. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom