• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
djsandman said:
Anybody got any new sludge lately? I'm looking forward to the new Mastodon and Rwake in a couple of weeks.
I hope you don't mind me quoting myself.
Spectacular Dr Dawg said:
oaJ1g.jpg

Pyramido - Salt
Awesome doom metal band from Sweden. Their sound is like a mix of Electric Wizard and Iron Monkey with a hint of Grief and Skitsystem. This is their second album and I prefer it over their debut Sand.
Walking blind
Left to rot
aNM34.jpg

Gloomy Sunday - Beyond good and evil
Great crusty doom/sludge band from Sweden. I hope they make more albums cause this one is great!
Beyond the light
Not many tracks on youtube unfortunately. Their myspace page has more tracks.
Turns out that the old Corrupted vocalist Hevi will still be doing the vocals on the new album since it was recorded before he left. He's supposedly into cosplay now :/
For those that don't know Corrupted they are one of the heaviest sludge bands ever. Here are some older tracks:
Rato Tristre
Reñir A Existencia
Empty
You probably know of these already but I'm posting them anyway:

Eyehategod
My Name is God (i Hate You)
Take As Needed For Pain

Iron Monkey
Sleep To Win
Supagorgonizer

Grief
Depression
Polluted

Noothgrush
Starvation
Oil Removed

Dystopia
Stress Builds Character
Population Birth Control

Some more bands, some are older some are newish :

Graves at Sea
Pariah
Red Monarch

Cough
Mind Collapse
288 Years of Sin

Toadliquor
(Second Continuing Sections Of) Inter-Stellar Space: Love
Nails

Moloch
Thy Grief
Invertebrate

Plaguebearer
They only have a demo out right now. You can listen to it (but not buy it unfortunately) on their bandcamp page

Buried at Sea
Track 2
She Lived For Others But Died For Us

Greenmachine
Couldn't find links to individual tracks from their debut so I'll just link to the whole damned thing.
Part 1, Part2, Part3

Abandon
Pitch Black Hole
Somnambulistic

Clagg
Buried
Devour the Sun

Stasis
They have 3 free instrumental Ep:s on their website. You can listen to some tracks on their myspace. Their debut album should be coming out later this year.

Leechmilk
Whiskey Nipple
Imbalance

Mugwart
Razor
40-90

The Misanthrope Project
Cigarette Burn
Jesus Crossed His Arms As If To Fight Me

Goatsblood
Drull
Itchy Hate Trigger

Fistula
A Chosen Path
So Far Sowell So What

You better find something you like there! haha.

Kaladin

I hope you don't mind me quoting myself.
You better find something you like there! haha.

Thanks, I've got some listening to do. I know a few of those bands but not all of them.

CassSept

SpartanForce said:
Mastodon The Hunter its out.
SO FUCKING GOOD.

edit: beated
This album is... weird. Very uneven. The styles are completely over the place, jumping from song to song. Though I had a couple of "Huh, this sounds weird, I don't kno... OH MY GOD THE SOLO" reactions. I have to listen to the whole album few more times to let it sink in. It's too early to make an objective opinion.

SpartanForce said:
Mastodon The Hunter its out.
SO FUCKING GOOD.

edit: beated
Cannot wait to give this a listen tonight. Easily my most anticipated album of the year, and I've heard wonderful things about it

I've just been listening to Spectrelight on repeat the past week to pass the time

faridmon

So I went back to some listen to my back cataloge and I found Projector, and I was listening to it the other day. I know this was the one that casued a lot of backlash back in the days, but I love it. I even love it more this time around than before as I kind of got used to the cleaner vocals of Stanne after Fiction and Damage done. I also love Therein which one of my favourite if not my favourite Dark tranquility song ever.

What do you guys think? anyone went back to it?

Flynn

djsandman said:
I get to see them Saturday!

Nice. I'm curious to hear what kind of turn out they get and how their stage show has changed. I saw them play a fairly small stage at the now-defunct Hollywood Knitting Factory. They were pretty cramped, but rocked hard enough.

The Hunter is absolutely phenomenal. It's like Mastodon just took a bunch of shrooms and tried to play the heaviest shit they could think of. It's crushing, wildly creative, packed with density, and just a trip to listen to.

Album of the Year for me too, and I'm only on my third spin. So fucking good

hie said:
I'm sure this has been posted, but this shit is blowing my mind:

Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats

Jb3XK.jpg

Highly recommended for fans of melodic stoner-ish doom rocking. I think they sound like an even better version of Witch, whom I dig...

going on my lunch break to buy this. Fucking awesome.

EDIT: found out that their vinyl sold out quick via Rise Above website. And there's no CD pressing! :(

hie

Giant Robot said:
going on my lunch break to buy this. Fucking awesome.

EDIT: found out that their vinyl sold out quick via Rise Above website. And there's no CD pressing! :(

Yeah...this dude is playing up the obscurity like crazy. Only 30 copies or some shit like that of the first record were pressed, and this one is something like 300-500 I think. He said in a recent interview CD's were coming soon. This is probably my AOTY at this point. Can't stop playing it. To me the songwriting, vocals, classic guitar ripping and whole package seem a step above a lot of shit I hear like this lately.

RDreamer

Yeah, that was pretty good. I'd probably buy a CD if I could, especially since I still kick myself for not buying Wolves in the Throne Room's Diadem of 12 Stars this many years later. I don't want that to happen again.

Azuran

Banned
faridmon said:
So I went back to some listen to my back cataloge and I found Projector, and I was listening to it the other day. I know this was the one that casued a lot of backlash back in the days, but I love it. I even love it more this time around than before as I kind of got used to the cleaner vocals of Stanne after Fiction and Damage done. I also love Therein which one of my favourite if not my favourite Dark tranquility song ever.

What do you guys think? anyone went back to it?

I never went back to it considering I never stopped listening to that masterpiece. Auctioned is my favorite song from that album. The album ranks third in my list behind The Gallery and Damage Done.

Kaladin

I totally forgot about this album coming up:

310191.jpg

Oh, and the Rwake album is streaming: http://rwake.bandcamp.com/ and it is awesome.

Edit: I'd also like to further praise for Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats. It has been a good year for releases like that with stuff like Ghost and Electric Wizard.

New Anubis Gate leaked

Christ, between this and Dream Theater and Mastodon this has to be the best month for prog-metal ever (assuming this album rules as much as I'm expecting it to)

Kaladin

Mr. Paer said:
New Anubis Gate leaked

Christ, between this and Dream Theater and Mastodon this has to be the best month for prog-metal ever (assuming this album rules as much as I'm expecting it to)

You forgot the Steven Wilson solo album.

Mr. Paer said:
New Anubis Gate leaked

Anubis gate has been out for a week :)

But yeah this month is awesome for progmetal. Haven't heard Mastodons yet, but I intend to wait for its release. I never feel right about taking advantage of leaks.

Doomshine

I've been on a mission lately to listen to classic or essential bands I've for one reason or another missed.

I'm going through Candlemass' discography right now and damn the singer on the first album is awesome, I know Messiah is the one everyone praises (for good reason too), but Johan is pretty fucking great.

What the hell is he doing nowadays? I read something about a pop band, but the most recent thing I can find is him performing the first album live with Candlemass. I really wish he would sing more, he's got a great voice.

Kaladin

The long awaited collaboration between Mikael Akerfeldt and Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) is finally being completed. The project goes under the name of 'Storm Corrosion' and will have a self-titled record out in April 2012 through a yet unnamed label. This album could be seen as the final part in the odd trilogy of records completed by "Heritage" and Steven Wilson's brand new solo album "Grace for drowning" Read more on Steve Wilson's latest venture at gracefordrowning.com

http://www.opeth.com/home/news/item...steven-wilson-collaboration-finally-completed

Fuck. yes.

RDreamer

djsandman said:
The long awaited collaboration between Mikael Akerfeldt and Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) is finally being completed. The project goes under the name of 'Storm Corrosion' and will have a self-titled record out in April 2012 through a yet unnamed label. This album could be seen as the final part in the odd trilogy of records completed by "Heritage" and Steven Wilson's brand new solo album "Grace for drowning" Read more on Steve Wilson's latest venture at gracefordrowning.com

http://www.opeth.com/home/news/item...steven-wilson-collaboration-finally-completed

Fuck. yes.

Interesting that that says the label is unnamed. Steven Wilson posted that Roadrunner would be releasing it.

Chorazin

Listening to the new Arkona album, Slovo. I didn't even know they had a new full length out until I saw it on AmazonMP3 as a new release. AWESOME Russian folk metal!

Chorazin said:
Listening to the new Arkona album, Slovo. I didn't even know they had a new full length out until I saw it on AmazonMP3 as a new release. AWESOME Russian folk metal!

I need to start checking these guys out. I need to get on the ball with a few bands lately. These guys are opening for Korpiklaani on their NA tour coming up, so I need to do it fast.

Also, while on the topic of tours coming up, Dave Mustaine has announced that Gigantour will be coming back in January. The bands are Megadeth, Motorhead, Lacunal Coil, and Volbeat. A pretty diverse line-up, should be a fun show. LC and Volbeat wouldn't be my first choice, but I'm sure they will be fun. It's hard to turn down looking at Cristina Scabbia for a bit.

ShaneB

Listened to the new Anubis Gate album last night, will need more time to sink in obviously, but it sounded pretty damn terrific.

Just found out about this awesome doom metal band called CortisoL. S12 and Meat are both great. They remind me a bit of Khanate.
You can get their music for free (Except Peace for Meat since the link is wrong and their newest album since it isn't out yet.) on their website. You can also get some stuff from their trash metal / hardcore side project Dentïst.
Here are some tracks if you want to listen before downloading anything:
Infinite Supply Of Nothing
Protocol Of The Lost Bodies

Chorazin

TheLastCandle said:
I need to start checking these guys out. I need to get on the ball with a few bands lately. These guys are opening for Korpiklaani on their NA tour coming up, so I need to do it fast.

Also, while on the topic of tours coming up, Dave Mustaine has announced that Gigantour will be coming back in January. The bands are Megadeth, Motorhead, Lacunal Coil, and Volbeat. A pretty diverse line-up, should be a fun show. LC and Volbeat wouldn't be my first choice, but I'm sure they will be fun. It's hard to turn down looking at Cristina Scabbia for a bit.
Thanks for the heads up about their tour, looks like they are playing close to me in December. Prolly gonna have to go to that show!

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
just heard the new mastodon. Not bad....and I kinda like that dreamy overdub of "ahhhhhhhhh" on thickening...so deftones-like...

Definitely a top 10 album of 2011 but not the 2011's AOTY whatsoever for me. Septicflesh's "The Great Mass" blows everything released so far this year.

Fusebox

Banned
The Hunter took a few extra days but it finally landed on Spotify.

So thats the new Opeth, Mastodon, Dream Theatre and Anthrax albums all up on Spotify recently - worth the price of entry alone for me!

Verano said:
j

. Septicflesh's "The Great Mass" blows everything released so far this year.

Never heard of it, but that's on Spotify too so I've just grabbed it - thx for the tip.

Verano

Fusebox said:
Never heard of it, but that's on Spotify too so I've just grabbed it - thx for the tip.

wut....well I suggest you start from Sumerian Demons til the great mass just to get yourself acquainted..but hell if you want to throw yourself at it now, go for it. Enjoy!
:D

Kaladin

I saw Wolves In The Throne Room in Tallahassee, FL last weekend, awesome show.....that is until the building's wiring decided it couldn't handle their PA system and a fan blew up and fell from the ceiling. They got through maybe half of their set though and I didn't feel too ripped off because the ticket was only $8.

Tomorrow I'm going up to Atlanta to see Opeth and I'm really looking forward to this one. I also just bought tickets to see Black Tusk in Atlanta at the end of October for a record release show. That should be fun.

Fusebox

Banned
Verano said:
wut....well I suggest you start from Sumerian Demons til the great mass just to get yourself acquainted..but hell if you want to throw yourself at it now, go for it. Enjoy!

Why should I need to get myself acquainted to listen to the album of the year that blows everything released so far? The album of the year shouldn't need qualifiers...

Verano

Fusebox said:
Why should I need to get myself acquainted to listen to the album of the year that blows everything released so far? The album of the year shouldn't need qualifiers...

for more epicness!!!!!!!!!!!

\m/

kottila

Fusebox said:
The Hunter took a few extra days but it finally landed on Spotify.

So thats the new Opeth, Mastodon, Dream Theatre and Anthrax albums all up on Spotify recently - worth the price of entry alone for me!

I really like the new Machine Head album as well, and I've never been a big fan before.

If you're in to Black Metal, Taake has just released a new one and it sounds great.

(both available on spotify)

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
kottila said:
I really like the new Machine Head album as well, and I've never been a big fan before.

If you're in to Black Metal, Taake has just released a new one and it sounds great.

(both available on spotify)

The new Machine Head is indeed a great album (the best album they've released since the Burning Red) and I really need to get the new Taake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom