• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kottila

Witchfinder General said:
The new Machine Head is indeed a great album (the best album they've released since the Burning Red) and I really need to get the new Taake.

It even contains banjo! Edit: Have you heard the bonus tracks on Unto the Locust? I really like their Priest cover

some spansish speaker on twitter said:
The banjo, the instrument base of Cajun music, the rednecks of the southern states of USA. Despicable. Fuck Taake

Kaladin

I saw Opeth and Katatonia this past Friday. Opeth was awesome as usual. Katatonia was just kind of there. I had never seen them before. The singer reminded me of cousin it. Opeth broke out Credence for this show and that was awesome live. I was also surprised at how much I liked Throat Of Winter live. That's the God of War song. Mikael's classical guitar solo during that one was fucking awesome. I think other highlights included: I Feel The Dark, Closure, Hex Omega and Porcelain Heart w/ drum solo.

Kaladin

HammerOfThor said:
So what is coming out this month?

Just New Megadeth and Iced Earth?

New Megadeth is November I think.

There is a new Black Tusk album. I'm going to see them October 29th for the release show.

Oh, and a new Skeletonwitch album on October 11th.

chessnut

djsandman said:
I saw Opeth and Katatonia this past Friday. Opeth was awesome as usual. Katatonia was just kind of there. I had never seen them before. The singer reminded me of cousin it. Opeth broke out Credence for this show and that was awesome live. I was also surprised at how much I liked Throat Of Winter live. That's the God of War song. Mikael's classical guitar solo during that one was fucking awesome. I think other highlights included: I Feel The Dark, Closure, Hex Omega and Porcelain Heart w/ drum solo.

Hey! i saw them last night....they played all that stuff, including the drum solo. I wish they had played some songs that involved him growling, specifically stuff from bw park/still life, but it was an awesome, awesome show nonetheless. The highlight for me was when he teased playing harvest since he had the acoustic guitar on. The audience was like fuck yeah!! and he said it's not on the set list, but he said he'd play it if we sing the lyrics. It went on for about a minute, but I was amazed at how many people knew the lyrics to that song... :)

strafer

So I have been listening to King Diamond and Mercyful Fate lately, pretty damn awesome I must say, didn't really like his voice at first.

MercyfulFate-Melissa.jpg
46031.jpg

king-diamond-abigail-front-cover-29702.jpg

Genius.

Kaladin

b.mak said:
Hey! i saw them last night....they played all that stuff, including the drum solo. I wish they had played some songs that involved him growling, specifically stuff from bw park/still life, but it was an awesome, awesome show nonetheless. The highlight for me was when he teased playing harvest since he had the acoustic guitar on. The audience was like fuck yeah!! and he said it's not on the set list, but he said he'd play it if we sing the lyrics. It went on for about a minute, but I was amazed at how many people knew the lyrics to that song... :)

He did that with Deliverance at our show. Some guy kept screaming for it after every song, even when they broke out the acoustic guitars and he said "Clearly, we are not playing Deliverance...although I guess we could" and played about a minute or so of the riff.

I love the diversity in Opeth. They can now do a whole tour without growling vocals and not rely on one album. They can even have variety in the set list like Credence. They could probably come back for another round and do a whole tour of nothing but heavy stuff.

Gaspode_T

I'm going to see Vader / Watain / Witchery in a tiny Tokyo club on Friday and I have some sort of bad cold/ flu, not the smartest thing I have ever done in my life? Or the smartest?? We will see!

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Gaspode_T said:
I'm going to see Vader / Watain / Witchery in a tiny Tokyo club on Friday and I have some sort of bad cold/ flu, not the smartest thing I have ever done in my life? Or the smartest?? We will see!
Just go, if it will be packed you will sweat out that cold. Some alcohol before the concert will also do the trick.

Seanspeed

Banned
DrM said:
Just go, if it will be packed you will sweat out that cold. Some alcohol before the concert will also do the trick.
Is your name really Dr.M? Sweating out colds? Drink alcohol before going?

Holy crap. lol

Azuran

Banned
Strafer said:
So I have been listening to King Diamond and Mercyful Fate lately, pretty damn awesome I must say, didn't really like his voice at first.

MercyfulFate-Melissa.jpg
46031.jpg

king-diamond-abigail-front-cover-29702.jpg

Genius.

Hell yeah. Don't Break the Oath will always be my favorite album by the King. My life completely changed when I listened to that masterpiece for that first time. Without it, I'll probably wouldn't be listening to more extreme metal right now.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
hie said:
I'm sure this has been posted, but this shit is blowing my mind:

Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats

Jb3XK.jpg

Highly recommended for fans of melodic stoner-ish doom rocking. I think they sound like an even better version of Witch, whom I dig...

This album is badass. Just the right mix of doom metal and 70s psych rock.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Seanspeed said:
Is your name really Dr.M? Sweating out colds? Drink alcohol before going?
Right amount of alcohol will make you sweat more and this is cure that i use for minor cold. 3 dcl of red wine + physical activity = instant cure :)

Phobophile

Blackheim said:
Vallenfyre song, Desecration, available streaming. Going to pre-order this, just don't know if I want to get the CD ($10) or do the CD/T-Shirt ($18) deal.

1evob.jpg

I fucking love this trend of brutal, doomy old-school death metal. I'm looking forward to hearing this rest of this album. Still probably won't be better than Disma - Toward the Megalith.

Blackheim

Phobophile said:
Disma - Toward the Megalith.

The music is awesome on that one, not a fan of the vocals (the more gutteral type of growls, phrasing & delivery) though :/

But yeah, I'm hoping for great things from Vallenfyre. It won't be out for another 3 weeks and I've already seen some very positive reviews/impressions of A Fragile King.

Phobophile

Blackheim said:
The music is awesome on that one, not a fan of the vocals (the more gutteral type of growls, phrasing & delivery) though :/

But yeah, I'm hoping for great things from Vallenfyre. It won't be out for another 3 weeks and I've already seen some very positive reviews/impressions of A Fragile King.

I'm usually pretty indifferent when it comes to vocals. Bad vocals won't ruin an album for me (unless they're horrendous clean vox). Vocals only bump an album up for me. Rarely do they bring it down.

Doomshine

HammerOfThor said:
HOLY SHIT YOU CAN PREVIEW THE ENTIRE ICED EARTH ALBUM ON ITUNES!!!

Am I LTTP or has this not been known???
Any plodding "epic" bullshit songs like on The Crucible of Man or more awesome shit like Dystopia?

Phobophile

viewtifulsub said:
Absu are coming my way (with some pretty good supports Portal+Ruins). Anyone seen them live? Worth the expense?

I've only seen Absu once 2 years ago. First time they ever played in Illinois. Small crowd (it was a shitty venue out in the far SW burbs of Chicago) but goddamn it Proscriptor didn't pound the fuck out of those drums.

Photo%2033.jpg

Proscriptor's autograph has no less than TWO inverted crosses. Kvlt.

Kaladin

My Top 10 metal albums of the year so far (in alphabetical order by artist):

Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising
Ghost - Opus Eponymous
Hank Williams III - Attention Deficit Domination
Mastodon - The Hunter
Opeth - Heritage
Red Fang - Murder The Mountains
Revocation - Chaos Of Forms
Skeletonwitch - Forever Abomination
Toxic Holocaust - Conjure and Command
Trap Them - Darker Handcraft

The only album that I can see which might creep onto this list is Megadeth, otherwise it's a pretty solid top 10.

Doomshine

I don't think I'm ready to make a top 10 just yet, but early favorites are, in no particular order:

Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy
Týr - Lay of Thrym
Omnium Gatherum - New World Shadows
Stratovarius - Elysium
Moonsorrow - Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa
Doomsword - The Eternal Battle

Undecided, need to listen to some more:

Gernotshagen - Weltenbrand
Primordial - Redemption at the Puritan's Hand
Hibria - Blind Ride
Kromlek - Finis Terræ
Vintersorg - Jordpuls
Powerwolf - Blood of the Saints

Definitely won't make it:

Stormwarrior - Heathen Warrior
Falkenbach - Tiurida

I love all the Iced Earth love on this page.

Man, finally hearing Dystopia has me pumped. I've been playing Iced Earth all week in anticipation of the new album, and if the rest of the album is as good as that track, it'll probably re-cement Iced Earth as my favorite band.

Strafer said:
New single from Lacuna Coil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Pnuxe3QhI

Wonderful.

I heard this the other day, definitely a step in the right direction.

On a completely diferrent level sonically, I've been really impressed by Dalriada, a folk metal band from Hungary lately. Full of all the jaunty melodic stuff you would expect but with some masterfully written choruses and some really entertaining vocals. If you like Korpiklaani, Falconer, and such I'd suggest you give them a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roxSxbsqotA

djsandman said:
My Top 10 metal albums of the year so far (in alphabetical order by artist):

Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising
Ghost - Opus Eponymous
Hank Williams III - Attention Deficit Domination
Mastodon - The Hunter
Opeth - Heritage
Red Fang - Murder The Mountains
Revocation - Chaos Of Forms
Skeletonwitch - Forever Abomination
Toxic Holocaust - Conjure and Command
Trap Them - Darker Handcraft

The only album that I can see which might creep onto this list is Megadeth, otherwise it's a pretty solid top 10.

If positive that that Ghost album is from 2010. Lovely album though. If you like Ghost, you might want to check out The Devil's Blood http://youtu.be/jBiPoh6An7A They release a new album in November

My favourites so far:
1 Septic Flesh - The Great Mass (symphonic death)
2 Ulcerate - The Destroyers of All (sludge/death) & Primordial - Redemption at the Puritan's Hand (folk)

Others favourites are:
Demonaz - March of the Norse (Bathory-style)
Devin Townsend - Deconstruction
Tombs - Path of Totality (sludge with black metal elements)

I also like Wolves in the Throne Room and Ygg (atmospheric BM) releases, but I need become a bit more familiar with them. I've been neglecting 2011 releases a bit lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom