• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneB

Hellcrow said:

Sweet! thanks, will listen to this later.

As for a top 10 for this year, damn that's going to be tough. I usually just pick a favourite album, and let the rest battle over just being damn good albums.

Also, in terms of tours, I have to see the 'Frets of Fury' tour, but I'm not seeing a Toronto date :( Firewind, Arsis, White Wizzard, Nightrage :( Damn!

edit: looks like Dystopia has now leaked. Time to listen to the whole thing!

Phobophile said:
I've only seen Absu once 2 years ago. First time they ever played in Illinois. Small crowd (it was a shitty venue out in the far SW burbs of Chicago) but goddamn it Proscriptor didn't pound the fuck out of those drums.

Photo%2033.jpg

Proscriptor's autograph has no less than TWO inverted crosses. Kvlt.
Sounds good. I also missed Portal last time when they were touring with Ulcerate, so this is a good a chance as any.
And yess, that signature is badass.

Gaspode_T

Vader = super underrated! Their drummer is a young phenom if I've ever seen one.

Watain was okay, they kind of pissed me off by dragging out the outro song for a full 4 or 5 minutes and then turning on the lights to skip their encore. Yeah, the crowd was out of energy at that point and sick of chanting after the first 1 or 2 minutes, that's Japan for you, they are quiet and reserved crowds...they must have misunderstood that for not digging them. Thankfully Vader did 2 encores.

Witchery is also super underrated, they did an awesome job, I think I liked them more than Watain. Although Watain's guitar player is a total badass and looks like Darth Maul.

Mileena

Banned
oh shiiiiiii the new Insomnium album leaked. Gonna give this a listen in a bit.

edit: Iced Earth did too I guess? Oh fuck me

Doomshine

New Insomnium sounds fucking great so far, grabbing me immediately unlike Across the Dark.

I can't wait to hear "Lay the Ghost to Rest" based on this comment:

Ville Friman: Probably the most epic song on the album. Pays homage to our second album “Since the Day it All Came Down” in its progressiveness. Lyrically about leaving the past in the past and moving on. One of my favourites.

Consider me excited.

razielim

Been listening to that new Insomnium all day at work. Definitely made my day much better. I really liked Across the Dark and had no idea there was a new album coming out til today!

Hellcrow is gaffer of the day!

Therion

Blackheim said:
You can now download the whole song of Carbon-Based Anatomy from here.
Good stuff. I'm always up for some Sean Malone, and if it's got Reinert as well, then all the better. Though what I'd really like to get is a new Gordian Knot album. Maybe someday...

I generally dislike NCIS, but NCIS: LA just made a pretty good joke. The guy was reading off license plate characters, and he was like:

S as in Slayer
M as in Metallica
A as in Anthrax
P as in... parsnip?

I was like WTF. Pantera?!

Then the guy on the other end of the phone basically said the same thing.

Giving the new Iced Earth it's first full run through right now.

So far it's pretty darn solid, although I can't say I'm a fan of Anguish of Youth. Something about it makes me cringe a bit.

I must comment about Dark City and Equilibrium, which are both really frigging good. They actually remind me of when Iced Earth used to sound like turbo charged Iron Maiden.

Edit: Why the hell isn't Iron Will on the album proper instead of being a bonus track? It's fucking AWESOME.

TheLastCandle said:
Giving the new Iced Earth it's first full run through right now.

So far it's pretty darn solid, although I can't say I'm a fan of Anguish of Youth. Something about it makes me cringe a bit.

I must comment about Dark City and Equilibrium, which are both really frigging good. They actually remind me of when Iced Earth used to sound like turbo charged Iron Maiden.

Edit: Why the hell isn't Iron Will on the album proper instead of being a bonus track? It's fucking AWESOME.

Wait its out? I thought next week????? I gotta get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HammerOfThor said:
Wait its out? I thought next week????? I gotta get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, it IS out next week. :D I'll be picking it up as well.

On my second listen right now. The first listen overall was a bit meh for me, but Im willing to chock that up to being at work and feeling dead to the world, and also still getting used to Stu's voice. The second listen is a much, much better experence.

I'd say so far it's definitely better than either of the Something Wicked discs. Riffs are back, the fast tempos are back, and there are some delightfully catchy choruses to be found here. A gripe I have with the production is that there is no god damned bass to be heard hardly anywhere aside from the groovier/slower numbers. Jon's guitar tone is ballsy as fuck as always, so it's not a terrible loss.

Stu sounds really, really good. It's clear Jon wanted him to pull a bit of a Barlow in quite a few songs, but then again it really was Jon directing Matt with the melody lines and all of that anyways. I keep hearing people say that Stu sort of sounds like a cross between Matt and Tim, which I can hear at times, but I'd say he sounds more like a really aggressive Halford on most tracks. On tracks like "End of Innocence" he clearly has his own distinct voice, though.

Awesome songs:
Dystopia
Boiling Point
Dark City
Equilibrium
Iron Will (Shouldn't be a bonus track)
Triumph and Tragedy

ShaneB

TheLastCandle said:

On my second listen right now. The first listen overall was a bit meh for me, but Im willing to chock that up to being at work and feeling dead to the world, and also still getting used to Stu's voice. The second listen is a much, much better experence.

I'd say so far it's definitely better than either of the Something Wicked discs. Riffs are back, the fast tempos are back, and there are some delightfully catchy choruses to be found here. A gripe I have with the production is that there is no god damned bass to be heard hardly anywhere aside from the groovier/slower numbers. Jon's guitar tone is ballsy as fuck as always, so it's not a terrible loss.

Stu sounds really, really good. It's clear Jon wanted him to pull a bit of a Barlow in quite a few songs, but then again it really was Jon directing Matt with the melody lines and all of that anyways. I keep hearing people say that Stu sort of sounds like a cross between Matt and Tim, which I can hear at times, but I'd say he sounds more like a really aggressive Halford on most tracks. On tracks like "End of Innocence" he clearly has his own distinct voice, though.

Awesome songs:
Dystopia
Boiling Point
Dark City
Equilibrium
Triumph and Tragedy

I am in love with the album, and agree with most parts of what you've said. Surprised you've left V off your awesome songs list, I think that track is amazing. Love that chorus! Same with Anthem, and well, a bunch of other songs too.

Agree about Stu as well, and I share the same mindset, he takes what I loved about Matt to get into Iced Earth so many years ago, and what I loved about Ripper and his vocal range. However, when he gets into ballad mode, I think it sounds a little odd, it's why I have a hard time listening to End of Innocence. Those verses are so bad, but the rest of the song is pretty good.

ShaneB said:
I am in love with the album, and agree with most parts of what you've said. Surprised you've left V off your awesome songs list, I think that track is amazing. Love that chorus! Same with Anthem, and well, a bunch of other songs too.

Agree about Stu as well, and I share the same mindset, he takes what I loved about Matt to get into Iced Earth so many years ago, and what I loved about Ripper and his vocal range. However, when he gets into ballad mode, I think it sounds a little odd, it's why I have a hard time listening to End of Innocence. Those verses are so bad, but the rest of the song is pretty good.

V is good stuff, as is Anthem (which really grew on me, btw). I just wanted to point out the songs I found to be particularly interesting or great.

Ballad mode in general has always been pretty iffy for Iced Earth aside from Question of Heaven, and the ballads on SWTWC, which are great.

TheLastCandle said:

Awesome songs:
Dystopia
Boiling Point
Dark City
Equilibrium
Triumph and Tragedy
The three words I wanted to hear!

:'D

Fusebox

Banned
Five Finger Death Punch's new album American Capitalist is up on Spotify, straight away I'm digging it way more than War is the Answer.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I know I'm late, but damn the new Leprous album is amazing. I've been listening to Thorn over and over again for a while now.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
TheLastCandle said:

y

Well for me the only jizz-tastic songs like Boiling Point, Dark City and Triumph & Tragedy has all that catchy/riffy goodness however every song other than what I stated is pure fodder at best except Iron Will (haven't listened to it so I cant judge). I love IE but so far, I haven't been pleased with they've released so far. For almost a decade there's about 3-4 songs from 2002-2011 that sound fuckin awesome while the rest is meh. (excluding Horror Show...HS is my fave along with Burnt Offerings).

OmegaDragon said:
My favourites so far:
1 Septic Flesh - The Great Mass (symphonic death)

FUCK YES!!! SF is my top metal album for 2011.

Anyways, I've heard few trax of Insomnium, not bad. Gonna youtube the rest.
:D

Possible surprise album of the year for me. Also clearly wins MOST METAL album cover of the year.

Igeretcover.jpeg

Awesome, awesome quirky folk metal with a epic power/melodic metal core. Sung completely in Hungarian with some of the most endearing vocal melodies I've ever heard. Female and male intertwining vocals, tons of folk instrumentation and outrageously infectious choruses. It's a somewhat different breed from the booze-happy antics of Korpiklaani and Finntroll, and definitely isn't as brooding or somber as Moonsorrow or especially Primordial, but it finds a really nice middle ground. Awesome. This album really hits my brain's pleasure zones like a damn jackhammer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roxSxbsqotA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU2uRRGWIYM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqikauYQTVg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=147qI3UeyXI

DrM

Redmond's Baby
TheLastCandle said:
Possible surprise album of the year for me. Also clearly wins MOST METAL album cover of the year.
Female singer is HOT (like most of the Hungarian chicks)
309929_10150775379545438_132648655437_20419518_633776_n.jpg

mr stroke

Fusebox said:
Five Finger Death Punch's new album American Capitalist is up on Spotify, straight away I'm digging it way more than War is the Answer.

+1

Just picked this up today. Fantastic stuff. Better than War is the Answer. Quite possibly their best album ever.

RDreamer

I was actually pretty surprised at how much I was digging the new Iced Earth. I haven't paid attention to them since The Glorious Burden. Listened to one of the Something Wicked albums, but that didn't do much for me. Dystopia was pretty good, though.

Doomshine

TheLastCandle said:
It's a somewhat different breed from the booze-happy antics of Korpiklaani and Finntroll, and definitely isn't as brooding or somber as Moonsorrow or especially Primordial, but it finds a really nice middle ground.
A few years ago while trying to listen to a few Korpiklaani albums I came to the realization that I'm in the somber, moody and atmospheric folk camp with Moonsorrow, Falkenbach, Primordial and even Finntroll I feel can be when they want to.

The former is definitely more popular so I feel it can be hard to find good bands from the latter category, I can only think of a few I've found in recent years:

Mael Mórdha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twR3VkuRWBk

and Gernotshagen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVacZGeOgyU

I'm surprised I liked this band because there seems to be a lot of these black/folk/pagan metal bands from Germany and they all tend to sound the same, but there was something about the atmosphere that I really enjoyed.

If anyone knows some more bands like these I'd love to hear them. I should point out that I have listened to and enjoyed bits and pieces of Summoning and Agalloch as well.

Doomshine said:
If anyone knows some more bands like these I'd love to hear them. I should point out that I have listened to and enjoyed bits and pieces of Summoning and Agalloch as well.

Arkona, maybe? They can get a little bit jaunty, but they are certainly on the gloomier side of the genre.

Doomshine

TheLastCandle said:
Arkona, maybe? They can get a little bit jaunty, but they are certainly on the gloomier side of the genre.
Oops, forgot about Arkona, I do listen to them. They are straddling that line just right so I guess I didn't think to mention them.

...but thanks for reminding me, I need to listen their latest some more.

TheLastCandle said:

Igeretcover.jpeg

Awesome, awesome quirky folk metal with a epic power/melodic metal core. Sung completely in Hungarian with some of the most endearing vocal melodies I've ever heard. Female and male intertwining vocals, tons of folk instrumentation and outrageously infectious choruses. It's a somewhat different breed from the booze-happy antics of Korpiklaani and Finntroll, and definitely isn't as brooding or somber as Moonsorrow or especially Primordial, but it finds a really nice middle ground. Awesome. This album really hits my brain's pleasure zones like a damn jackhammer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roxSxbsqotA

The clean vocals to this song remind me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9MTGNaEXGM

Fucking cracks me up.

Doomshine said:
A few years ago while trying to listen to a few Korpiklaani albums I came to the realization that I'm in the somber, moody and atmospheric folk camp with Moonsorrow, Falkenbach, Primordial and even Finntroll I feel can be when they want to.

The former is definitely more popular so I feel it can be hard to find good bands from the latter category, I can only think of a few I've found in recent years:

Mael Mórdha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twR3VkuRWBk

and Gernotshagen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVacZGeOgyU

I'm surprised I liked this band because there seems to be a lot of these black/folk/pagan metal bands from Germany and they all tend to sound the same, but there was something about the atmosphere that I really enjoyed.

I´d really recommend Nokturnal Mortum – The Voice of Steel. It´s a mix of black and folk metal, but what really impresses me are the atmospheric elements. I talked about the album in a previous post, it contains a few links to tracks.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31048935&postcount=6404

Doomshine

OmegaDragon said:
I´d really recommend Nokturnal Mortum – The Voice of Steel. It´s a mix of black and folk metal, but what really impresses me are the atmospheric elements. I talked about the album in a previous post, it contains a few links to tracks.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31048935&postcount=6404
I think I must have overlooked this because of the black metal imagery, but it sounds pretty good actually. I'll make sure to check the rest of their stuff. Thanks!

Doomshine

Man, how awesome is it when you can say that a new Stratovarius or Iced Earth album is among the best albums of the year?

Insomnium, Omnium Gatherum, Týr, Pagan's Mind, Doomsword and Moonsorrow continuing to be awesome is just a nice bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom