• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
TheLastCandle said:
Possible surprise album of the year for me. Also clearly wins MOST METAL album cover of the year.

Igeretcover.jpeg

Awesome, awesome quirky folk metal with a epic power/melodic metal core. Sung completely in Hungarian with some of the most endearing vocal melodies I've ever heard. Female and male intertwining vocals, tons of folk instrumentation and outrageously infectious choruses. It's a somewhat different breed from the booze-happy antics of Korpiklaani and Finntroll, and definitely isn't as brooding or somber as Moonsorrow or especially Primordial, but it finds a really nice middle ground. Awesome. This album really hits my brain's pleasure zones like a damn jackhammer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roxSxbsqotA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU2uRRGWIYM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqikauYQTVg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=147qI3UeyXI

Hope this is as good as Kikelet. Their follow-ups have totally sucked compared to their debut.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Doomshine said:
Man, how awesome is it when you can say that a new Stratovarius or Iced Earth album is among the best albums of the year?

Insomnium, Omnium Gatherum, Týr, Pagan's Mind, Doomsword and Moonsorrow continuing to be awesome is just a nice bonus.

Power metal album(s) of the year but not the one of the metal album of the year.
; )

Just messin with ya.

Phobophile

Saw Anthrax and Testament last night at the Congress Theater. Was in the pit half the night. My entire left side is sore.

Blackheim

Phobophile said:
Saw Anthrax and Testament last night at the Congress Theater. Was in the pit half the night. My entire left side is sore.

Aren't Death Angel supposed to be touring with those guys too? How were they? I'm trying to decide whether or not to go see them next month, they'll be headlining since Testament and Anthrax aren't playing on the date.

Phobophile

Blackheim said:
Aren't Death Angel supposed to be touring with those guys too? How were they? I'm trying to decide whether or not to go see them next month, they'll be headlining since Testament and Anthrax aren't playing on the date.

I've seen em twice within the past yearish, last night and the last time Soilwork was in town. They were fun the first time but the energy wasn't the same last night but still enjoyable. I'd say check it out if you got nothing else better to do and the show costs no more than $20.

Flynn

I'm super bummed to have missed the Alcest / Enslaved show tried to get tix but they were long since sold out. Anybody catch them?

Verano said:
Power metal album(s) of the year but not the one of the metal album of the year.
; )

::unsheathes broadsword of steel::

Verano said:
Just messin with ya.

::sheathes broadsword of steel::

;)

In all seriousness though this has been a dynamite year so far. I'd put the new Strato, Moonsorrow, Dalriada, Alestorm, Symphony X, and Iced Earth as my best of the year so far, but that's just me. Alestorm would be the surprise of the lot, because I didn't think they had an actual really good album in them.

Edit: New Korpiklaani is awesome too.

I wonder if I'm alone here, but I have a been feeling about this new Megadeth album. Loved Endgame, but I'm not getting a great vibe from what I've heard thus far and the interviews are making it sound like it's gonna try and be a jack-of-all-trades kind of thing like Cryptic Writings was. I liked CW, but I'd prefer they keep going full steam ahead.

Also, fun fact; my first concert ever was Megadeth on the Cryptic Writings tour in '98. Coal Chamber opened, and even though I was only 13 I could still tell they blew.

ShaneB

2011 has been an insane year for metal releases for me as well. Stuff I was expecting, and a lot of new stuff that blew me away.

I generally don't make lists, since I could never settle on an order, just album of the year that I was looking forward too, and a release that I had no idea about and was a brand new discovery.

I generally think Symphony X's album will keep the top spot in the releases I was expecting and waiting for, but no idea what to think in terms of surprise releases, so much good stuff.

Doomshine

I thought something was up with the some of Nokturnal Mortum's song names... turns out these guys are not so fond of the Jewish.

I'm fine with national pride, anti-religious opinions and generally don't care about this sort of stuff when it comes to music, but this aryan white power thing rubs me the wrong way.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Doomshine said:
I thought something was up with the some of Nokturnal Mortum's song names... turns out these guys are not so fond of the Jewish.

I'm fine with national pride, anti-religious opinions and generally don't care about this sort of stuff when it comes to music, but this aryan white power thing rubs me the wrong way.
They used to be quite into Slavic superiority (yeah, more like Slavic-Aryan mix of stuff and we all know that this 2 things do not go together well, and if we look from nazi perspective, Slavs were second to get rid of after Jews), but not on their last album.

Doomshine said:

As far as I know, only NeChrist has nazi/racist content

ShaneB

I'll probably give my album of the year to Jag Panzer. It's an album I waited 7 years for, and it's an awesome album, and they were one of my favourite bands, and then they broke up :( It's the least I could do.

Doomshine

DrM said:
They used to be quite into Slavic superiority (yeah, more like Slavic-Aryan mix of stuff and we all know that this 2 things do not go together well, and if we look from nazi perspective, Slavs were second to get rid of after Jews), but not on their last album.
Yeah, I thought that was a bit weird.
OmegaDragon said:
As far as I know, only NeChrist has nazi/racist content
I think it's still there on other albums, just not as direct , like this:

"It's price was Shekel and their scourge upon our trampled backs
Oh world beware new master this desert breed won't die on their own
If they weren't burnt those 60 years ago they should be burnt today"

I'll keep listening because they are obviously capable of making good music, but it has hindered my enjoyment of it a bit.

Flynn

In anticipation of the Judas Priest show this weekend I made a Spotify playlist based on the Epitaph Tour set lists.

Battle Hymn
Rapid Fire
Metal Gods
Heading Out to the Highway
Judas Rising
Starbreaker
Victim of Changes
Never Satisfied
Diamonds & Rust
(Joan Baez cover)
Dawn Of Creation
Prophecy
Night Crawler
Turbo Lover
Beyond the Realms of Death
The Sentinel
Blood Red Skies
The Green Manalishi (With the Two Pronged Crown)
(Fleetwood Mac cover)
Breaking the Law
Painkiller
Encore:
The Hellion
Electric Eye
Hell Bent for Leather
You've Got Another Thing Comin'
Living After Midnight

Here's the band playing "You've Got Another Thing Comin'" on Fallon.

It's a bummer about K.K. Downing. But the new kid, Richie Faulkner, is pretty awesome.

Blackheim

Phobophile said:
I've seen em twice within the past yearish, last night and the last time Soilwork was in town. They were fun the first time but the energy wasn't the same last night but still enjoyable. I'd say check it out if you got nothing else better to do and the show costs no more than $20.

They are touring the hell out of Relentless Retribution, I guess it's paying the bills. I missed them back in Jan. and still don't know ticket prices yet for the upcoming show nor the openers. I'm guessing local bands out the ass. Upside, it's basically a small bar they are playing and the atmosphere might lend itself to them being more energetic, hopefully. The tour cycle has been so long I'm not surprised they're slowing down a bit. I'll definitely go if work allows. Remember what the setlist was?

Korranator

Flynn said:
In anticipation of the Judas Priest show this weekend...........

No "Sinner", or "Exciter"? :(

Two of their best songs IMO.

Chorazin said:
No one mentioning the newest November's Doom as one of the best albums of the year? I think it's fucking fantastic!

Agreed. Easily one of the best releases this year.

DrM said:
15th November - As I lay dying, Septic Flesh, Amon Amarth

Still undecided....

I don't see the crowd being terribly receptive of these guys. Just a hunch.

So I'm listening to The Scourge of the Light, Jag Panzer's release from early in the year that I somehow managed to completely avoid listening to until now. It's pretty god damned cool so far, with "Setting of the Sun" being one of the best songs I've ever heard them write. Great stuff.

Kaladin

So I'm kinda torn on this Lou Reed & Metallica album. On one hand, Metallica does some of their best sounding music in several albums, I wish they could have saved most of this for a real Metallica album. On the other hand, Lou Reed shits all over this record. His poetry is mostly unlistenable crap...hell, who am I kidding it IS unlistenable crap. Why does Metallica crap on their name with an album like this?

djsandman said:
So I'm kinda torn on this Lou Reed & Metallica album. On one hand, Metallica does some of their best sounding music in several albums, I wish they could have saved most of this for a real Metallica album. On the other hand, Lou Reed shits all over this record. His poetry is mostly unlistenable crap...hell, who am I kidding it IS unlistenable crap. Why does Metallica crap on their name with an album like this?

That full song that debuted a few weeks ago may be the worst thing EVER. Complete shit, and I usually try to not sip the haterade when it comes to heavy music. I will agree that Lou Reed is far and away the worst part of the whole shitfeast, though.

So, so bad.

djsandman said:

Samples of every song:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=164824

I think Metallica sounds good. Lou sounds horrid.

HammerOfThor said:
Samples of every song:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=164824

I think Metallica sounds good. Lou sounds horrid.
What the fuck. These sound worst than I imagined even after hearing The View. Oh my god. How sad will it be when this abomination makes St. Anger look like a masterpiece?

Particular lolz was the sample of "Pumping Blood". Everything just sounds like some shitty garage band recording by people who have never composed a song before

Kaladin

TheLastCandle said:
That full song that debuted a few weeks ago may be the worst thing EVER. Complete shit, and I usually try to not sip the haterade when it comes to heavy music. I will agree that Lou Reed is far and away the worst part of the whole shitfeast, though.

So, so bad.

Same here, especially when it comes to Metallica but damn they're making it hard to be a fan of their music.

Spectacular Dr Dawg said:
NNOO! Dismember have called it quits.
They were one of the best Swedish death metal bands ever and more consistent than the other big OSDM bands. Like An Everflowing Stream is up there with Left Hand Path as one of the best death metal albums of all time.
Some of my favorite tracks:
Override the Overture
Deathevocation
Dismembered
Sickening Art
In Death's Sleep
Dreaming In Red

This saddens me very much. They were one of the original lasting "Sunlight" Stockholm bands that never gave up. Basically helped write the book of Swedish death metal riffs.

:(

It's crazy. Never really been a big metal fan. A bit of 80s hair bands, a Metallica cd or two, but never really been my wheelhouse.

But I'll tell you something. That Metal Show is my new obsession. I'm horribly addicted, and starting to want to hear more and more of the music they love.

Not really metal but I love both Chickenfoot releases. And I've had the new Mastadon on repeat for days.

Maybe it's because I've started learning guitar? Maybe because it's basically the only music talk show left on tv.

Blackheim

krypt0nian said:
It's crazy. Never really been a big metal fan. A bit of 80s hair bands, a Metallica cd or two, but never really been my wheelhouse.

But I'll tell you something. That Metal Show is my new obsession. I'm horribly addicted, and starting to want to hear more and more of the music they love.

Not really metal but I love both Chickenfoot releases. And I've had the new Mastadon on repeat for days.

Maybe it's because I've started learning guitar? Maybe because it's basically the only music talk show left on tv.

If I had cable TV, I'd probably watch it too heh. Eddie Trunk is a pretty knowledgeable guy, though he can sometimes be a bit annoying to listen to. I used to watch Behind the Music all of the time years ago, no matter who was on it, even saw the one about Bette Midler >_>

If you'd like some recommendations, I'm sure we could give you a thing or 1000 to try out :p

Blackheim said:
If I had cable TV, I'd probably watch it too heh. Eddie Trunk is a pretty knowledgeable guy, though he can sometimes be a bit annoying to listen to. I used to watch Behind the Music all of the time years ago, no matter who was on it, even saw the one about Bette Midler >_>

If you'd like some recommendations, I'm sure we could give you a thing or 1000 to try out :p

Does he have any podcast/radio presence online?

Recommends are hard but always appreciated. I follow this thread and try shit out on Spotify. Not a big fan of the growler/shouters though, so far.

Edit: Found some podcasts on eddietrunk.com but he's charging for them! Ahahaha no.

krypt0nian said:

I actually DVR That Metal Show and It's a reasonably fun watch with a few brews.

They tend to concentrate on very mainstream stuff with a focus on 70's and 80's arena rock, hair metal, and a hint of thrash. Nothing wrong with that, but it would be cool if they dug deeper into the underground.

I actually like Eddie Trunk for the most part, but the co-hosts can get annoying. I hate that Stump the Trunk segment, too.

This topic also makes me wonder what VH1 Classic are gonna do for their "NATIONAL METAL DAY" on Nov 11.

Blackheim

krypt0nian said:
Does he have any podcast/radio presence online?

Recommends are hard but always appreciated. I follow this thread and try shit out on Spotify. Not a big fan of the growler/shouters though, so far.

Edit: Found some podcasts on eddietrunk.com but he's charging for them! Ahahaha no.

Yeah, podcast isn't free though and he has an XM station I think and is on a local rock station in NYC or you MIGHT be able to listen on www.knac.com which is a syndication of the NYC shows.

Ok, I'll throw a few softballs :D

To/Die/For: albums to check out Epilogue and Jaded:genre Gothic Metal
Katatonia: album Last Fair Deal Gone Down: Probably their most accessible album.
Slough Feg: album Hardworlder: Kinda stonery but more NWOBHM akin to early Iron Maiden.

RDreamer

Blackheim said:
Katatonia: album Last Fair Deal Gone Down: Probably their most accessible album.

As much as I love LFDGD, I'd say anything after that is more "accessible." Viva Emptiness for me is where their great songwriting meets accessibility and also variety. It's my favorite of theirs.

Blackheim

RDreamer said:
As much as I love LFDGD, I'd say anything after that is more "accessible." Viva Emptiness for me is where their great songwriting meets accessibility and also variety. It's my favorite of theirs.

I dunno, I only like a few of the songs from that one. It never clicked with me, nor TGCD or the latest. They all have some good songs, just as albums they don't do anything for me :( Which is s shame since they used to be my absolute favorite band.

I suppose it could be more accessible in some ways, for a person not accustomed to metal I'd still say LFDGD though :p

RDreamer

Blackheim said:
I dunno, I only like a few of the songs from that one. It never clicked with me, nor TGCD or the latest. They all have some good songs, just as albums they don't do anything for me :( Which is s shame since they used to be my absolute favorite band.

I suppose it could be more accessible in some ways, for a person not accustomed to metal I'd still say LFDGD though :p

Eh, for someone not accustomed to metal I'd say Viva Emptiness every single time. It's almost more of a rock album than metal, to me. To those accustomed to metal I'd probably say LFDGD, though.

Blackheim

RDreamer said:
Eh, for someone not accustomed to metal I'd say Viva Emptiness every single time. It's almost more of a rock album than metal, to me. To those accustomed to metal I'd probably say LFDGD, though.

Haha *shrug* he can check 'em both out if he wants, either way maybe he'll like what he hears.

Speaking of those guys, let me bring up October Tide. I love Rain Without End, love it. Grey Dawn greeted me with a resounding 'meh', didn't do much for me. If any of you have heard A Thin Shell, how likely is it that I would like it?

Chorazin

I know it's not "real" metal, but the new Steel Panther album leaked, and it's fucking hilarious. I grew up with the terrible 80's hair metal so these guys always hit me right in the funny bone.

Kaladin

dream_theater_-_metropolis_pt-_2-_scenes_from_a_memory.jpg

It has been too long since I've listened to this album. Though, it really is meant to be listened to completely in one sitting. Well, it's available on vinyl for the first time now and that format is meant for sitting down and listening to an album like this.

Flynn said:
I used to live in that neighborhood. Can confirm the motherfucking bricks. There are trees growing through the side of his house.

I once saw a thread where someone confirmed the motherfucking bricks via Google Maps. Damn I love the interwebs.

jambo

MetalGAF I require your help.

I've always loved Tool, for years now, but other than when I hang out with some of my mates who listen to metal, I don't really venture outside of them in the genre. I'd love to find some other prog metal stuff, so any suggestions for bands and albums would be greatly appreciated.

The only thing I don't really like is screaming vocals and I'm not a huge fan of power or speed metal

jambo: everyone here will recommend you Opeth and Mastadon by default no matter what you like.

I can add:
Cynic - Focus
Cynic - Traced In Air
Pan.Thy.Monium - Khaooohs & Kon-Fus-Ion
Dysrhythmia - Pretest

you also might like some of the later Porcupine Tree stuff which have gone in a more metal way. The Incident and probably Fear of a Blank Planet would be closer to something like Tool in terms of proggy-ness and production.

coldvein

Banned
i know i'm about as welcome in here as i am in the gafhop thread, that said...

i've been checking maiden's "hallowed be thy name" live. shit is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom