• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

choodi

Banned
RDreamer said:
Eh, for someone not accustomed to metal I'd say Viva Emptiness every single time. It's almost more of a rock album than metal, to me. To those accustomed to metal I'd probably say LFDGD, though.

It is amazing how Katatonia have evolved over the years. Every album has managed to stay ahead of the curve of what similar bands were doing.

I remember picking up their first album back in the day (I was a big fan of Doom/Gothic Metal) and listening to it endlessly. I must say though that Viva Emptiness is definitely my favourite.

Katatonia are what Paradise Lost could have and should have been.

choodi

Banned
jambo said:
MetalGAF I require your help.

I've always loved Tool, for years now, but other than when I hang out with some of my mates who listen to metal, I don't really venture outside of them in the genre. I'd love to find some other prog metal stuff, so any suggestions for bands and albums would be greatly appreciated.

The only thing I don't really like is screaming vocals and I'm not a huge fan of power or speed metal

The early Mudvayne albums have something of a Tool vibe. I think they usd the same producer for one of them.

Flynn

Giant Robot said:
jambo: everyone here will recommend you Opeth and Mastadon by default no matter what you like.

I can add:
Cynic - Focus
Cynic - Traced In Air
Pan.Thy.Monium - Khaooohs & Kon-Fus-Ion
Dysrhythmia - Pretest

you also might like some of the later Porcupine Tree stuff which have gone in a more metal way. The Incident and probably Fear of a Blank Planet would be closer to something like Tool in terms of proggy-ness and production.

Cynic seems like a really good suggestion.

Also try: Animals as Leaders

jambo said:
MetalGAF I require your help.

I've always loved Tool, for years now, but other than when I hang out with some of my mates who listen to metal, I don't really venture outside of them in the genre. I'd love to find some other prog metal stuff, so any suggestions for bands and albums would be greatly appreciated.

The only thing I don't really like is screaming vocals and I'm not a huge fan of power or speed metal

Check this post, some may not be what you're looking for, but its a bunch of good progmetal.

http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=26939069&postcount=5007

Dream Theater should be on there as well, but its a given. Also, if you like Tool or A Perfect circle, check out Porcupine Tree and Riverside.

Mordeccai

I would just like to say I fucking love Lamb of God. First metal band I ever listened to, and still my favorite. I've only seen them live once! :[

CloudWolf

Flynn said:
Cynic seems like a really good suggestion.
I don't know, he did say he didn't like screaming vocals and that's one of Cynic's trademarks. Although I'd say you have to at least check out The Space for This, because that song contains minimal grunting/screaming and is maximum awesome.

Also, Ayreon is really good if you're looking for prog metal (although it's not very Tool-like).

Giant Robot said:
I wonder, why do people keep spelling the band name wrong? Is it some sort of inside joke or what?

frogg609

So last night I got to see Black Dahlia Murder, All Shall Perish, and Cannabis Corpse. Really good show. Bands just killed.

I also did an interview with Brian and Ryan from BDM. It'll be up on my radio show next Tuesday night. The station is KSJD.org out of CO, but we have a web stream on our site. My show is Metal in the Mountains and is every Tuesday from 10pm - Midnight. /endplug.

If you can go out and see this tour it's totally worth it.

Derrick01

Banned
Just thought I'd let you guys know that pretty much all of Megadeth's new album is on youtube...for now at least. I've only listened to a couple of the songs that haven't been released yet and it's not bad. Not Endgame quality, but I like it.

Catch it while it's still up.

Derrick01 said:
Just thought I'd let you guys know that pretty much all of Megadeth's new album is on youtube...for now at least. I've only listened to a couple of the songs that haven't been released yet and it's not bad. Not Endgame quality, but I like it.

I dig it! definitely gonna buy it next week!

I love the lyrics for Wrecker :)

Maddog

Derrick01 said:

I've listened to the album three times so far and it's definitely a Megadeth album. My favorite song is 13.

Blackheim said:
Yeah, but that live disc + cover of The Exorcist would be worth buying it all over again :p
$25 for a digital copy? No thanks. Wait, why is that so much but the listed cd price on Relapse is $12?

Blackheim

parrotbeak said:
$25 for a digital copy? No thanks. Wait, why is that so much but the listed cd price on Relapse is $12?

Oh, I wouldn't think of buying a digital copy when a physical one exists. Definitely a ripoff @ $25, $12 is more than reasonable for a 2 disc album though.

yacobod said:
pretty awesome, but ITP sounded pretty good to begin with imo.

Even though im not a huge fan of ITP these remasters sound awesome. The separation is very apparent. Not as "meshed" sounding, drumming sounds fucking awesome. But now I can't hear Digiorgio as much, heh. I'll probably end up getting this for the extra tracks alone.

Flynn

Blackheim said:
Oh, I wouldn't think of buying a digital copy when a physical one exists. Definitely a ripoff @ $25, $12 is more than reasonable for a 2 disc album though.

I was thinking the same thing. It is ALOT of music though. More like three albums when you think about the remaster + live + demos. They're probably feeling out Bandcamp to see what kind of success they find. At the very least they're cool for offering a full album stream.

Blackheim

Flynn said:
I was thinking the same thing. It is ALOT of music though. More like three albums when you think about the remaster + live + demos. They're probably feeling out Bandcamp to see what kind of success they find. At the very least they're cool for offering a full album stream.

Yeah, when I say ripoff, I'm saying that in reference to the digital version. It's the same price for the CDs with a fold out digipak + extensive liner notes. The physical version of the 3 disc album I'd have no issue with buying for $25 if I wanted it. I don't because well ... I don't listen to the 3rd disc of the Human remaster anymore, once was basically enough to hear the demos and riff tracks for me. It'll make my collection (CD spines) a little uneven, but I can't let myself get OCD over that >_>

And yes, absolutely awesome of Relapse to put it up streaming :D

Flynn

Blackheim said:
Yeah, when I say ripoff, I'm saying that in reference to the digital version. It's the same price for the CDs with a fold out digipak + extensive liner notes. The physical version of the 3 disc album I'd have no issue with buying for $25 if I wanted it. I don't because well ... I don't listen to the 3rd disc of the Human remaster anymore, once was basically enough to hear the demos and riff tracks for me. It'll make my collection (CD spines) a little uneven, but I can't let myself get OCD over that >_>

And yes, absolutely awesome of Relapse to put it up streaming :D

I've bought some indie band camp records that included something physical -- like a patch, cassette, etc. A little something like that would go a long way to making that digital download worth 24. A t-shirt maybe?

Blackheim

Flynn said:
I've bought some indie band camp records that included something physical -- like a patch, cassette, etc. A little something like that would go a long way to making that digital download worth 24. A t-shirt maybe?

A t-shirt I can see making up that extra value, even one with just the logo on it and nothing else. Or hell, a nice metal keychain/zipper pulls/enamel pins ... something. I'm the wrong audience for digital sales anyway heh. I won't buy it unless I have no other option and even then ... I hate that I have no choice, sometimes I just go without and don't buy out of spite :p

jmdajr

Downloaded Dante Inferno from Iced Earths site with Stu on vocals.
Pleasantly surprised.

also...

anybody like Steel Panther? Their live show is awesome! I guess you have to have a love for cock rock... but I dig it.

NEW ALBUM!
steelpantherballs.jpg

Flynn

Blackheim said:
A t-shirt I can see making up that extra value, even one with just the logo on it and nothing else. Or hell, a nice metal keychain/zipper pulls/enamel pins ... something. I'm the wrong audience for digital sales anyway heh. I won't buy it unless I have no other option and even then ... I hate that I have no choice, sometimes I just go without and don't buy out of spite :p

I spend the majority of my money on digital -- mostly because Amazon sells cheaper than iTunes. The only CDs I buy any more are from small labels like Flenser and Profound Lore.

Chorazin

jmdajr said:
Downloaded Dante Inferno from Iced Earths site with Stu on vocals.
Pleasantly surprised.

also...

anybody like Steel Panther? Their live show is awesome! I guess you have to have a love for cock rock... but I dig it.

NEW ALBUM!

I mentioned it last page, no one seemed to care. These guys are hilarious and they really can play that cock rock really well.

Blackheim

Flynn said:
I spend the majority of my money on digital -- mostly because Amazon sells cheaper than iTunes. The only CDs I buy any more are from small labels like Flenser and Profound Lore.

Yeah but ... even on Amazon the physical CD can be close to the same price as digital or sometimes less. I dunno, without the physical product to go along with music, it's not worth purchasing digital only media unless there is simply no other choice. I'm just too entrenched in physical media I guess :/ I've been collecting CDs (cassettes to begin with) since I was 11 and I'm 35(36 in Dec) now. It seems inevitable that music will be mostly, if not completely, a digital format in the coming years. I don't want to contribute to that trend, so I maintain my physical purchases. Yes, this is me kicking and screaming against this particular form of change :p

I have 6 CDs in the mail which hopefully will arrive any day now >_>

2 Enochian Crescent
2 Laaz Rockit
1 Gorefest
1 Candlemass

Chorazin said:
I mentioned it last page, no one seemed to care. These guys are hilarious and they really can play that cock rock really well.

Haha, I had meant to say something. I can appreciate what they are doing and the nostalgia. I was there too, and the guys are hilarious. I just haven't heard anything by them that I'd actually want to sit down and listen to. Still, fun band hah.

Flynn

Blackheim said:
Yeah but ... even on Amazon the physical CD can be close to the same price as digital or sometimes less. I dunno, without the physical product to go along with music, it's not worth purchasing digital only media unless there is simply no other choice. I'm just too entrenched in physical media I guess :/ I've been collecting CDs (cassettes to begin with) since I was 11 and I'm 35(36 in Dec) now. It seems inevitable that music will be mostly, if not completely, a digital format in the coming years. I don't want to contribute to that trend, so I maintain my physical purchases. Yes, this is me kicking and screaming against this particular form of change :p

I have 6 CDs in the mail which hopefully will arrive any day now >_>

2 Enochian Crescent
2 Laaz Rockit
1 Gorefest
1 Candlemass

I got pushed kicking and screaming into digital. I made a big move five or six years ago. Sold a huge vinyl collection and a huge DVD collection. I hung onto my CDs, ripped them all and haven't looked back. I am bummed about it. And I still go to Amoeba and Rhino and buy something when I can. But those places just aren't keeping up. The used CDs at Amoeba cost more than a download from Amazon. I want to support retailers, but jeez. It's not gonna be that way.

Blackheim

Flynn said:
I got pushed kicking and screaming into digital. I made a big move five or six years ago. Sold a huge vinyl collection and a huge DVD collection. I hung onto my CDs, ripped them all and haven't looked back. I am bummed about it. And I still go to Amoeba and Rhino and buy something when I can. But those places just aren't keeping up. The used CDs at Amoeba cost more than a download from Amazon. I want to support retailers, but jeez. It's not gonna be that way.

Heh, I know how that is. I had to leave on super short notice around '96/'97. I separated my collection into stuff that was rare/limited/absolute favorites from the stuff that was easy to find and therefore replace. I ended up leaving with 2 suitcases and about 100 or so CDs stashed inside of them amongst clothes/hygiene crap. >_> And have since managed to be reunited with my old CDs in 2001 or so haha. Though during my move and living out of suitcases some of my CDs ended up missing/stolen, like my European Shimmy Disc pressing of GWAR's Hell-o, that still pisses me off when I think of it.

That sucks your collection is gone, more or less, ugh. Some things are beyond our control though unfortunately :( Wow, that sucks too about the jacked up used prices at Amoeba. My local store has pretty decent prices for used stuff, so I lucked out there. You should check out CMDistro or The Omega Order every once in a while, they have some great deals now and then.

I actually think there are a handfull of genuinely GOOD songs on the last Steel Panther album. I'm not a fan of toilet humor, so the lyrics generally don't appeal to me all that much, but sometimes they can be funny depending on the delivery. It usually helps when the singer wails out something like "Let's fuck some HOOOOOOKKEEEERRRRRRS!" at the end of "Asian Hooker".

Anyways, some really great melodies and guitar work on some of those tunes. I'll give the new one a listen.

TheExodu5

Banned
Why does everyone seem so down on the new Opeth album? Granted, I'm only a few songs in but it's incredible so far. People are describing it as a 70's prog rip-off, but I'm just not seeing it. This definitely sounds like Opeth.

The new drummer is really showing some serious talent. I think he's better than Lopez, personally. I know many would disagree with me.

The composition is deliciously inventive. I love it.

I Feel the Dark is an awesome song.

Kaladin

TheExodu5 said:
Why does everyone seem so down on the new Opeth album? Granted, I'm only a few songs in but it's incredible so far. People are describing it as a 70's prog rip-off, but I'm just not seeing it. This definitely sounds like Opeth.

The new drummer is really showing some serious talent. I think he's better than Lopez, personally. I know many would disagree with me.

The composition is deliciously inventive. I love it.

I Feel the Dark is an awesome song.

People just don't like proggy Opeth as much as they do growly Opeth. I for one love this album, but I think think it's time to return to the heavy side for their next set.

TheExodu5

Banned
djsandman said:
People just don't like proggy Opeth as much as they do growly Opeth. I for one love this album, but I think think it's time to return to the heavy side for their next set.

I love proggy Opeth.

I'd like to see them incorporate prog into the heavier music for the next album. Not in a disconnected way like Watershed, but throughout the music. Give us some interesting and original heavy compositions, not the usual blastbeat or riff + breakdown combo.

Kaladin

TheExodu5 said:
I love proggy Opeth.

I'd like to see them incorporate prog into the heavier music for the next album. Not in a disconnected way like Watershed, but throughout the music. Give us some interesting and original heavy compositions, not the usual blastbeat or riff + breakdown combo.

Sounds like you want another Ghost Reveries, which is one of my favorite Opeth albums.

yacobod

Banned
Azuran said:
My least favorite Death album. I never got into it for some reason.

really. i'd rank it above spiritual healing, which i think is a pretty dull and uninspired affair. and sound of perseverance is un-listenable to me, the only decent song on there is the judas priest cover. i really like human, leprosy, symbolic, and scream tho.

Gaspode_T

You may not be a big fan of them but you have to admit that Slipknot is like the Cirque Du Soleil of metal bands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCqoBjpHV8&hd=1

I watched through this whole concert and it's a pretty great performance from them. I've seen Stone Sour live but never Slipknot, hope they stay together.

Slipknot drummer is underrated from what I can tell as well.

I can't believe most of the Rock in Rio shows are up on YouTube. Companies, you can charge for this stuff you know? YouTube is like the Napster of this generation, but the record companies can't stop it this time. I just want the smaller to medium sized bands like Chimaira to make more money somehow. Chimaira was tweeting about how hard it is these days.

Korranator

TheExodu5 said:
I love proggy Opeth.

I went into the album with a open mind. I really like a few songs, and they still have a very unique Opeth sound, but in general I feel the whole album is average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom