• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flynn

Digging "The Book of Kings" by Mournful Congregation (funeral doom)

2701625761-1.jpg

Full Album Stream via Bandcamp

TheExodu5

Banned
I know there isn't much love for metalcore here...but has anyone heard All That Remains last album? I love the sound, but damn, the composition is sloppy as hell. The solos are the worst I've heard from them...I'll take the derivative solos from The Fall of Ideals over this.

This Darkened Heart has still been their best album to date. They've gone back to a similar sound with this latest album, but the composition just isn't there at all.

Ecrofirt

I'm woefully out of the loop when it comes to metal over the last few years.

This is especially troublesome for me, because I've been hosting a metal radio show for the past five or so years.

As it stands, I don't really have any music newer than 2009 or so across any genres and every week I feel like I'm playing the same things over and over again.

So, what can people recommend across all the major genres from the past few years? I've got to start getting in touch with record companies and getting promo discs again.

Ecrofirt said:

This is especially troublesome for me, because I've been hosting a metal radio show for the past five or so years.

As it stands, I don't really have any music newer than 2009 or so across any genres and every week I feel like I'm playing the same things over and over again.

So, what can people recommend across all the major genres from the past few years? I've got to start getting in touch with record companies and getting promo discs again.

Moonsorrow
Korpiklaani
agalloch
Arkona

Fusebox

Banned
Insane Metal said:
Steel-Panther-Balls-Out-2011-330x330.jpg

It's out!!!

And it's fucking awesome! Hahah Steel Panther is the shit!
This is up on Spotify now so I decided to check it out and holy shit I'm glad I did, I defy anyone to listen to these lyrics without grinning! Turns out I'm still into glam after all. Mad fun album.

Ecrofirt said:

Septic Flesh – symphonic death http://youtu.be/-BJqlcNX9dE
Primordial - powerful folk metal http://youtu.be/DcMCbOW7u1k
Ghost – hard rock/heavy metal with an occult vibe http://youtu.be/CaAb421KUhk
Melechesh – middle eastern melodic black http://youtu.be/jpFkPYVmIKk
Immortal - masters of bloody awesome black metal are back http://youtu.be/5f6qaqmCz58
Demonaz – heavy/melodic black http://youtu.be/QCv5LnWylHE
Electric Wizard – stoner/doom http://youtu.be/Taip_Md0zjc
Deströyer 666 – black/thrash http://youtu.be/UQs-9tRtpb0
Funebrarum – death metal http://youtu.be/LCBzy-U4_oo
Kvelertak - not really metal http://youtu.be/CmhVKq-vUMs

Some more current releases:
Agalloch
Watain
High on Fire
Mastodon
Ensiferum
Amon Amarth
Devin Townsend
Opeth

I've got more, mostly black metal, if you are interested.

Fusebox said:
This is up on Spotify now so I decided to check it out and holy shit I'm glad I did, I defy anyone to listen to these lyrics without grinning! Turns out I'm still into glam after all. Mad fun album.
Apart from the lyrics, the guys actually REALLY rock, their songs are crazy good! Sounds like 80's hard rock or something. Really good shit.

Kaladin

Giant Robot said:
the Uncle Acids and the Deadbeats album "Blood Lust" on cd is now up for pre-order. It was an awesome suggestion in this thread a few pages back and was sold out as soon as it was announced.
http://www.svartrecords.com/shoppe/725-uncle-acid-and-the-deadbeats-blood-lust-cd.html

Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats - I'll Cut You Down

I hope this sticks around to the end of the week.

I love that Sabbath inspired doom is having an awesome year: Uncle Acid, Electric Wizard and Ghost have made me happy. Has there been anything like those 3 I might have missed?

I just noticed even Sudden Death is altered on the new Megadeth album. Kinda neat, keeps things fresh!

Overall, I dig the hell out of it! Its hard for me to choose if I like Endgame or Thirteen better.

jmdajr

Megadeth album 9.99 at best buy. Think i might go get it.

How are you guys enjoying it?

/

Steel Panther album is 5.99 for download at amazon.
Too good a deal to resist.

Balls Out

Blackheim

Guess I'll post this here too. Gonna pimp a GAFers band, Enochian Crescent. Just got in, well a couple days ago, the Limited Edition of Black Church CD. Ordered it from their label, Woodcut Records and they sent me 2 other CDs + some promo material.

Some songs!

Enochian Crescent - Tatan
Enochian Crescent - Chalk Face

The other 2 CDs they sent, one from Alghazanth and the other from Vorum. Alghazanth don't tickle my funny bone. Pretty toothless Symphonic Black Metal, there's bark and no bite. Not my cup 'o tea. The Vorum isn't bad in places, they describe themselves as Old School Finnish Death Metal. As far as I'm concerned, early Sentenced wrote the book on that and this doesn't stand up to those first couple of albums. Overall, not a bad album, just not something I forsee myself listening to a whole lot.

Vorum - Through the Throats of Liars
Vorum - Ritual Desecration

Alghazanth - Meh...

Blackheim

Hesemonni said:
Enochian Crecent - Crescentian

That song lured me into Enochian Crescent's world and damn, if it still doesn't kick ass.

I've got Telocvovim on order too, it should HOPEFULLY be here any day now.

Flynn said:
Vallenfyre "A Fragile King" (members of Paradise Lost, At The Gates)

http://i.imgur.com/4w90b.jpg

Hails and Horns has the full album stream.

I have this on order too! Ordered from Amazon.uk to get the limited edition w/bonus track :D
Must .... resist ... listening...

Ecrofirt said:

My taste in metal lies firmly in the Trad/Power/Folk/Prog/Thrash areas, so that should explain my suggestions. Anyways, here's a list of my fave albums of last year. Maybe you will like a few.

Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony
Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time
Angra - Aqua
Heljareyga - Heljareyga
Finntroll - Nifelvind
Seven Kingdoms - Seven Kingdoms
Elvenking - Red Silent Tides
Rhapsody of Fire -The Frozen Tears of Angels
Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier
Helloween - 7 Sinners
Metsatoll - Ao
Overkill - Ironbound
Grand Magus - Hammer of the North
Avantasia - Angel of Babylon

If you want a link to a song from each you can click the links here: http://nroablm.blogspot.com/2011/04/better-late-than-never-best-metal.html

It's my silly little blog for fun, so don't mind my ramblings, just click the links.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Giant Robot said:
the Uncle Acids and the Deadbeats album "Blood Lust" on cd is now up for pre-order. It was an awesome suggestion in this thread a few pages back and was sold out as soon as it was announced.
http://www.svartrecords.com/shoppe/725-uncle-acid-and-the-deadbeats-blood-lust-cd.html

uncle-acid-and-the-deadbeats-blood-lust-cd.jpg

Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats - I'll Cut You Down

This album will easily be in my top 10 for this year. Holy fuck it's so good.

Edit: anywhere to buy this domestically? I don't wanna get fucked with Euro shipping.

Azuran

Banned
HammerOfThor said:
Is it that bad?

I thought it sounded good. I never really listened to Flames tho.

Listen to The Jester's Race, Whoracle, or Colony and you'll see. It's bad by In Flames standards.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Thirteen is kinda meh imo

There's nothing like "This Day We Fight" or "Head Crusher" on there.

But who knows, maybe it'll grow on me.

Phobophile said:
This album will easily be in my top 10 for this year. Holy fuck it's so good.

Edit: anywhere to buy this domestically? I don't wanna get fucked with Euro shipping.

I paid $14.88 shipped to CA. It was "free shipping worldwide" or something like that.

Ecrofirt

animlboogy said:
What kinds of things have you played in the past? Is it really a broad metal show, where you can play some of the crazy 10 minute blackened power prog epics and baby eating deathgrind you're probably going to get as suggestions, or do you have some kind of basic boundaries?

Metal's a pretty wide genre. I'd love to help, just not by giving you a wall of random recommendations.

We play tons of genres. Thrash, black, death, power, doom, classic heavy, etc. It's a two hour show and we cover pretty much everything. It's also always a good thing to have stuff available for when people make requests.

What are a few of your favorite albums of the last few years?

I finally got Anthrax's Worship Music.....soooo goood! I'm stupid for waiting so long!

I also just found out Helloween released a new album last year! How is it? I thought their last album was that weird re-recorded albums song.

Ecrofirt

I just wanted to thank those of you who posted in response to my ask for help.

I've got some feelers out to record companies now, and I've found a few things that I've missed over the last few years at the used music store.

Thanks again.

HammerOfThor said:
I finally got Anthrax's Worship Music.....soooo goood! I'm stupid for waiting so long!

I also just found out Helloween released a new album last year! How is it? I thought their last album was that weird re-recorded albums song.

Worship Music is pretty decent. It putters out for me about half way through.

The new Helloween album (7 Sinners) is very good, and definitely their heaviest record. It's not quite as good as Gambling with the Devil, but it's worth getting for sure. The weird re-recorded album was just a little thing they did for fun and to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the band. A lot of people (idiots) actually thought that was their new studio album and acted like they were taking the band in some sort of Jazz/folk direction or something. That was interesting to follow.

Blackheim

One of the guitarists, Cory Smoot (Flattus Maximus), in GWAR died earlier :( No word on the cause yet, but they were in the middle of a Fall tour and I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of it were called off. There's been no word about that yet, so if you were planning on going to see them, I wouldn't hold my breath...

N4V1d.jpg
E1RJ3.jpg

blahness

Saw them last year and they were so much better than they used to be musically. Sucks to hear and I hope they will carry on. :(

e_i

Blackheim said:
One of the guitarists, Cory Smoot (Flattus Maximus), in GWAR died earlier :( No word on the cause yet, but they were in the middle of a Fall tour and I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of it were called off. There's been no word about that yet, so if you were planning on going to see them, I wouldn't hold my breath...

N4V1d.jpg

Is that Dimebag in the background?

Derrick01

Banned
jmdajr said:
Megadeth album 9.99 at best buy. Think i might go get it.

How are you guys enjoying it?

/

It's ok, not nearly as good as Endgame. In fact I can't think of 1 song that really stands out on the album, nothing that blew me away like This Day We Fight. It's just a collection of a mostly decent group of songs and a couple that aren't very good because again no one told Dave that he can't sing slow type songs.

e_i said:
Is that Dimebag in the background?

Holy shit! He's almost like our version of Tupac.

Flynn said:
Digging "The Book of Kings" by Mournful Congregation (funeral doom)

2701625761-1.jpg

Full Album Stream via Bandcamp
That's some depressing music. Wow.

What are you guys thinking about the vocals in the live version of the songs from Mastodon's The Hunter? Like I dunno but I think that could be better but is not bad at all... judge yourselfs:

Spectrelight

All The Heavy Lifting

Dry Bone Valley (I think was supposed to Brann to sing here, not Brent. Sounds weird.) Edit: It is Brann on the vocals indeed, its that Brent gave me the wrong impression because he is very close to the mic.

Blasteroid (short clip)

jmdajr

heh

Dave Mustaine mentions my home town in his new 13 album.

Drinking cold cerveza in a boiling hot saloon
Chasing shots of tequila, just about high noon
Outside Nuevo Laredo, deep in no man’s land
Become a killer or be killed; face down in the Rio Grande

Guns, Drugs & Money

I gave the new Megadeth a couple of spins yesterday.

I'm a huge Megadeth fan, and I loved Endgame. I've had my reservations about this album though, especially after hearing almost half of this album is old material and that the producer was the guy that collaborated with Disturbed or whatever.

The album is good, not great. It's very reminiscent of their mid 90's material, which makes sense since a ton of the stuff was in fact written in the mid 90's. I always really liked the song New World Order, I remember listening to that on Megadeth's website wayyyy back when.

Here's the songs I would consider to be good: Public Enemy No. 1, Guns, Drugs and Money, Never Dead, New World Order, Black Swan... ehh that's honestly about it. Everything else is basically average to slightly above.

I'm honestly not sure how Dave could follow up an album like Endgame with all that momentum behind him to release an album almost made entirely of mid-paced rockers. Yeah, I know they followed RIP with Coutdown and Youth but I figured he would like to continue building momentum.

jmdajr

TheLastCandle said:
I gave the new Megadeth a couple of spins yesterday.

I'm a huge Megadeth fan, and I loved Endgame. I've had my reservations about this album though, especially after hearing almost half of this album is old material and that the producer was the guy that collaborated with Disturbed or whatever.

The album is good, not great. It's very reminiscent of their mid 90's material, which makes sense since a ton of the stuff was in fact written in the mid 90's. I always really liked the song New World Order, I remember listening to that on Megadeth's website wayyyy back when.

Here's the songs I would consider to be good: Public Enemy No. 1, Guns, Drugs and Money, Never Dead, New World Order, Black Swan... ehh that's honestly about it. Everything else is basically average to slightly above.

I'm honestly not sure how Dave could follow up an album like Endgame with all that momentum behind him to release an album almost made entirely of mid-paced rockers. Yeah, I know they followed RIP with Coutdown and Youth but I figured he would like to continue building momentum.

My biggest surprise was having a new album out so soon. I guess the fact that it was old songs laying around sped things up.

Personally I don't have an issue with mid-paced Megadeth. I liked Cryptic Writtings, Youthanasia, and Countdown. Risk however is fucking AWFUL, although some say the remaster sounds better. Don't know, I doubt it.

Went back and listened to world Needs a Hero and I liked it more than I remember.

I really think he wanted to just get out of his contract, so pushed this album out to end it.

Maybe a Metallica & Megadeth collaboration now....

HammerOfThor said:
I really think he wanted to just get out of his contract, so pushed this album out to end it.

As much as I don't want to believe that, when you release an album this soon after your last release in today's music climate AND half of that album is songs that have already been released, it really does seem like an effort to get out of a record deal.

I wonder if he's bitter about being stuck on that tour with Godsmack and Disturbed. From what I've heard he was enraged about that tour.

TheLastCandle said:
As much as I don't want to believe that, when you release an album this soon after your last release in today's music climate AND half of that album is songs that have already been released, it really does seem like an effort to get out of a record deal.

I wonder if he's bitter about being stuck on that tour with Godsmack and Disturbed. From what I've heard he was enraged about that tour.

Wait he was forced to do that thru the label? HAHA, I remember seeing that and I giggled when it seemed like he was opening for those bands.

Well, at least that makes sense WHY he did it. Probably why he had the Disturbed producer too, maybe?

jmdajr

It was pretty cool when Megadeth toured with Children of Bodom/In Flames.

I also remember back in the day they were going to tour with Iced Earth! I was fucking hyped! Then 9/11 happened and the tour got cancelled. Not only that, but Matt Barlow wanted to become a cop and everyone thought Jon became too patriotic.

9/11 REALLY hurt Iced Earth. I mean..just think about it.. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom