• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this
PKG000957.jpg
PKG000955.jpg

:D more: http://www.cmdistro.com/Genre/Holiday

TheLastCandle said:
I totally get that. I really like both Unia and Days, but they certainly aren't as good as what came prior. They both have some great tunes, but the band clearly doesn't want to play a bunch of hyperspeed melodic stuff anymore. They do the new proggier stuff well, but god what wouldn't I give for another Silence.

That said, this new song off of Days is one of my favorites they have ever done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ekHbncidYE

Yeah another Silence would be awesome but I dont think they'll ever go back to that. :/

And yeah, thats the other song I like on the album as well. Fortunately, there are a number of other proggy bands that do it better than SA does so I'm not as bitter anymore. Got more to listen to now than I ever did. :)

Mordeccai

How does everyone feel about Heritage a little bit after release?

I've had time to listen to it, and by Neptune, it has become one of my favorite albums. There's really only one weak song in my opinion (Famine), and while I'm a rabid fan of old Opeth from Morningrise up to BWP, I still feel like this shit is great. Different mindset I suppose when I put Heritage on, but I've loved every second of it.

Also, I really like Amon Amarth, but want a more grand, I guess symphonic sound to it? MetalGAF have any suggestions for me there?

Mr. Paer said:
Does anybody here listen to Bolt Thrower? My friend just got me into them lately, and I can't stop listening to The Killchain. Song is metal as fuck

fucking of course!

Killchain is part of the "World Eater," "Ember," "Cenotaph," set of songs.

awesome band. Catchy and simple as fuck. Consistent and easily recognizable. Very accessible metal for anyone who wants to get into the heavier stuff. Love the earlier stuff with Andy Whale on drums!

Bolt Thrower - Destructive Infinity
Bolt Thrower - Celestial Sanctuary

Doomshine

Siyou said:
i just watched this concert on youtube of Dimmu Borgir.... Amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7ddXgOFV74&feature=related

Why the hell have they let that clear vocalist leave? And omfg at those keyboards...

Suggest me more symphonic metal bands like this.
Not quite as influenced by black metal as Dimmu Borgir, but definitely very symphonic (and even some folk here and there):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czXTT2av9uw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbSEGlm6jkg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl9P_t6t7R0

Witchfinder General said:
I think I'll put up the Christmas tree this year...

Also, I just discovered a couple of really cool albums that I've bought:

MoRkObOt - MoRbO

morbo.jpg

Two bass players and a drummer. Think of a robotic version of Lightning Bolt but more focused.

Absu - Abzu

3393935091-1.jpg

Experimental Black Metal with a sense of fun? Damn right.

I gotta listen to that new Absu. Edit: Listened to it a few times, I like it!

Gvaz said:
Anyone here like Madder Mortem? I don't usually like melodic metal stuff like this, but it's pretty cool.

I saw them live once, they sounded pretty nice. I've never listened to them after that though, anything you can recommend?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Oh f*** it, ordered ticket for Amon Amarth next Tuesday. They moved concert to 7 pm, so it should be over around 11 pm, so i still can go to home and get several hours of sleep before the morning shift

Blackheim

So yeah, finally got the Vallenfyre CD in the mail from Amazon.co.uk and the debut Enochian Crescent CD, great stuff!

The guitar tone is ridiculous, definitely channeling the old UK/Euro Death Metal scene, but that's to be expected from some of the guys who helped establish that sound.
Vallenfyre - Desecration
Vallenfyre - Cathedrals of Dread

More Enochian Crescent! I've never been much of a fan of Black Metal (especially the no production whatsoever early-mid '90s stuff and the bands that take that approach), but this is some great stuff.

Enochian Crescent - When Tears Run Dry
Enochian Crescent - Black Flame of Satan Burning

Two awesome albums that more hopefully give a listen to.

El_Victor said:
http://www.mediafire.com/?vku6m4ykoqzbbu8

New Nightwish single (ripped from a radio stream, so the quality is awful). Sounds like... Nightwish. Rehashed riffs galore (not too mention the inclusion of Crimson Tide/Deep Blue Sea again). I hope the whole album is more inspired than this particular song.

The video is up on youtube. I actually enjoy it a lot but I'm a complete sucker for catchy choruses and stuff like this. This song is basically Heavy Abba, which I'm fine with haha.

It's not that stylistcally different from Amaranth, which was the lead off single from DPP. I expect the other songs to be a bit different.

Blackheim said:
More Enochian Crescent! I've never been much of a fan of Black Metal (especially the no production whatsoever early-mid '90s stuff and the bands that take that approach), but this is some great stuff.

Enochian Crescent - When Tears Run Dry
Enochian Crescent - Black Flame of Satan Burning
Paging Melchiah/Wrath! Any news on the next album? :)

I love Enochian Crescent, they have a very unique style for sure. Finland has produced some great-sounding, unique black metal over the years (and continues to, take Oranssi Pazuzu for example).

Blackheim

The Spacepope said:

I love Enochian Crescent, they have a very unique style for sure. Finland has produced some great-sounding, unique black metal over the years (and continues to, take Oranssi Pazuzu for example).

I told him I was going to post those songs here and spread the love :p Haha, you're more likely to find him in the funny pics thread than here!

Melchiah

The Spacepope said:

Most of the songs are composed, but some still lack lyrics and vocal compositions. All of the lyrics will be in Finnish. If everything goes well, we'll start the recordings during the first half of next year.

Here's one new song, Tuhkaa (=Ashes), which we've played live few times.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE5MMqOf7pY

On december 2nd we're going to play an acoustic gig. If I manage to get some video material about it, I'll post it here.

EDIT: You might also want to check out Behexen, if you already haven't done so. Here's their song, Mouth of Leviathan

Blackheim said:
I told him I was going to post those songs here and spread the love :p Haha, you're more likely to find him in the funny pics thread than here!

Heh. I visit here every now and then, but not that often, as I find my taste in metal (which I don't listen to that much nowadays) differing quite a bit from what's usually been posted here.

Melchiah said:
Most of the songs are composed, but some still lack lyrics and vocal compositions. All of the lyrics will be in Finnish. If everything goes well, we'll start the recordings during the first half of next year.

Here's one new song, Tuhkaa (=Ashes), which we've played live few times.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE5MMqOf7pY

On december 2nd we're going to play an acoustic gig. If I manage to get some video material about it, I'll post it here.

EDIT: You might also want to check out Behexen, if you already haven't done so. Here's their song, Mouth of Leviathan
I appreciate the update, can't wait for the new album! I'd love to see some footage of the acoustic EC gig.

Behexen's cool, their split with SW was pretty damn good too.

Melchiah

The Spacepope said:
I appreciate the update, can't wait for the new album! I'd love to see some footage of the acoustic EC gig.

Behexen's cool, their split with SW was pretty damn good too.

Well, we did one acoustic gig last year.
Two clips from the gig:
Grey Skin
Muisto Sorkasta - Ghost of Saturn medley
(neither of the clips feature a full song)

This time we'll have percussions as well, and possibly something else as well. We'll see how it'll turn out in rehearsals. The last time we didn't have the time to implement them.

Yeah, Behexen is my personal favorite Finnish BM band, and always a pleasure to see live;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S88v8LqsVnw

Melchiah said:
Well, we did one acoustic gig last year.
Two clips from the gig:
Grey Skin
Muisto Sorkasta - Ghost of Saturn medley
(neither of the clips feature a full song)

This time we'll have percussions as well, and possibly something else as well. We'll see how it'll turn out in rehearsals. The last time we didn't have the time to implement them.

Yeah, Behexen is my personal favorite Finnish BM band, and always a pleasure to see live;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S88v8LqsVnw
Shit, I totally missed that. Sounded cool though, thanks for the links.

Haven't had the chance to see Behexen live unfortunately. Definitely on my to-do list.

yea man, Demolition Hammer is the shit. Aggressive fucking shit during a time when thrash/death was dying....and they were all in their late 30's if i remember!

Melchiah

The Spacepope said:
Shit, I totally missed that. Sounded cool though, thanks for the links.

Haven't had the chance to see Behexen live unfortunately. Definitely on my to-do list.

You're from finland? If that's the case I definitely recommend to do so. They perform outside Finland every now and then as well.

BTW, the robe I'm wearing at the last year's acoustic gig belongs to the vocalist of Behexen. It smelled like hell, as it had gathered blood and sweat from dozens of gigs, and had never been washed. =) They've also loaned my crosses for their performance in the past.

Melchiah said:
You're from finland? If that's the case I definitely recommend to do so. They perform outside Finland every now and then as well.

BTW, the robe I'm wearing at the last year's acoustic gig belongs to the vocalist of Behexen. It smelled like hell, as it had gathered blood and sweat from dozens of gigs, and had never been washed. =) They've also loaned my crosses for their performance in the past.
Yeah I'm from Finland, but studying in Sweden at the moment. I will definitely try to catch Behexen when I can. I'd really like to attend the EC gig in Turku on December 2nd as well. We'll see...

Was the robe even bloodier after you returned it? :)

Melchiah

The Spacepope said:
Yeah I'm from Finland, but studying in Sweden at the moment. I will definitely try to catch Behexen when I can. I'd really like to attend the EC gig in Turku on December 2nd as well. We'll see...

Was the robe even bloodier after you returned it? :)

There's also Impaled Nazarene, Satanic Warmaster, Sacrilegious Impalement and Grunt (the latter is a power electronics/noise project of a guy who also plays in Clandestine Blaze and Deathspell Omega) playing at the venue, and the Finnish BM documentary Loputon Gehennan Liekki will be shown at Puutarhakadun Auditorio the day after.

Actually no, as there was no blood spilled during the acoustic set, which can't be said about the more traditional gig we performed later on in the evening at the same place. ;)

Melchiah said:
There's also Impaled Nazarene, Satanic Warmaster, Sacrilegious Impalement and Grunt (the latter is a power electronics/noise project of a guy who also plays in Clandestine Blaze and Deathspell Omega) playing at the venue, and the Finnish BM documentary Loputon Gehennan Liekki will be shown at Puutarhakadun Auditorio the day after.

Actually no, as there was no blood spilled during the acoustic set, which can't be said about the more traditional gig we performed later on in the evening at the same place. ;)
Great lineup for sure.

I've been dying to see that documentary, since it's directed by Sami Kettunen, and not someone from the outside looking in so to speak, it's probably pretty fucking fascinating.

Heh, I hear ya. :)

Melchiah

The Spacepope said:
I've been dying to see that documentary, since it's directed by Sami Kettunen, and not someone from the outside looking in so to speak, it's probably pretty fucking fascinating.

I saw it myself two weeks ago at the Halloween premiere, and apart from the Azazel parts (the guy was also making an ass of himself at the premiere) it left a positive impression. It was somewhat weird, and at times funny, to watch it though, as most of the people that are featured are friends of mine.

Melchiah said:
I saw it myself two weeks ago at the Halloween premiere, and apart from the Azazel parts (the guy was also making an ass of himself at the premiere)
I don't doubt it.
Melchiah said:
it left a positive impression. It was somewhat weird, and at times funny, to watch it though, as most of the people that are featured are friends of mine.
Cool. Yeah, I can see how that could be a little weird. :)

Chorazin

Put on the new Moonsorrow after not listening to it for a while, goddamn is this amazing. It always strikes me as being fuckawesome every single time.

Melchiah

animlboogy said:
You should just post whatever you're into. I'm kind of in the same boat, but I do find interest when I happen to talk about something I like.

Man, I think there was a noise thread on here years ago... I don't think I've broached the topic of noise/power electronics/etc. on this forum in some time! But even the punk thread seems to be struggling now.

Well, I might just as well post about this, what we've been talking about among friends occasionally... namely Funeral Mists's Devilry MCD (1998). For me it was the long awaited spark that shed some new light to black metal genre, that seemed to follow its own tail, and there hasn't been any other record that would have made a similar impact on me in all these 13 years.

Here's a song from the MCD, Bringer of Terror, which still gives me the same feeling as it did all those years ago.

As for power electronics/noise/dark ambient... there was a period in my life when I mostly listened to such material, and horror movie/game soundtracks. Nowadays I listen to more energetic music, like horror themed rock/metal, as I've grown somewhat tired of music in which "nothing happens". It seems to go in cycles for me; half a decade of this, and half a decade of that. =)

If someone's interested in horror themed rock/metal, I recommend to check out Rue Morgue Radio. There's lot of uninteresting stuff there as well, especially as they seem to have gone more mainstream direction during the last couple of years, but some gems can still be found there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom