• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackheim

HammerOfThor said:
Probably why he had the Disturbed producer too, maybe?

That was Ellefson's suggestion I believe after Andy Sneap had a scheduling conflict and wasn't able to have time to produce 13.

And yeah, it's no secret Mustaine was NOT happy with Roadrunner for a while there. Ever since the big 4 thing, I'm thinking RR has been trying to cozy up with him because Mustaine has had less bad things to say about them lately :p

Blackheim said:
That was Ellefson's suggestion I believe after Andy Sneap had a scheduling conflict and wasn't able to have time to produce 13.

And yeah, it's no secret Mustaine was NOT happy with Roadrunner for a while there. Ever since the big 4 thing, I'm thinking RR has been trying to cozy up with him because Mustaine has had less bad things to say about them lately :p

Wait, did he not want to do that either? Haha I'm so lost. I mean it makes sense why he wouldnt, but I didnt know it was the label forcing him.

My brother got the latest Megadeth cd. Really nice to hear the newer versions of the old demo tracks. Never Dead, even though it was primarily recorded for a game, is a damn catchy tune. The album and booklet art is really cool too. Some lyrics are good, others not as much. I really like the drums on this album and the rhythm guitars are really great. Some of the lead stuff is only alright.

I personally prefer it to Endgame by a longshot.

In other news, I am so tempted to try find Sonata Arctica's latest live DVD. They've been promoting it quite a bit lately and holy shit does it look amazing.

jmdajr said:
9/11 REALLY hurt Iced Earth. I mean..just think about it.. :(

Yeah, that was right around when all of Iced Earth's momentum just took a nose dive into the shitter.

I saw IE on the Horror Show tour and the intensity surrounding them at that moment in time was outrageous. And then Barlow leaves and they release TGB. They seem to be on the upswing now, thank god.

Also, 9/11 brought us "When the Eagle Cries", which sucks so bad it makes me angry. Song SUCKS.

Edit:

Hydranockz said:
In other news, I am so tempted to try find Sonata Arctica's latest live DVD. They've been promoting it quite a bit lately and holy shit does it look amazing.

Yeah, I need to pick that up eventually. I absolutely adore Sonata Arctica. Their melodies are like delicious cookies and candies blowing in an icy wind towards my mouth.

Blackheim

HammerOfThor said:
Wait, did he not want to do that either? Haha I'm so lost. I mean it makes sense why he wouldnt, but I didnt know it was the label forcing him.

No no no, he did want to do it. I meant that, because of those shows Megadeth's profile had risen considerably and so Roadrunner started being more amiable towards Dave and the band rather than just telling them to do a record of what the label wanted and then shoving it out to market with little promotion.

Cptkrush

Went to BTBAM/Animals As Leaders/Tesseract show in Ybor City last night. God that show was so intense, AAL tore it up. Anyone else see them recently?

TheLastCandle said:
Yeah, I need to pick that up eventually. I absolutely adore Sonata Arctica. Their melodies are like delicious cookies and candies blowing in an icy wind towards my mouth.
The teaser trailers were really good. The whole DVD looks really well made. The pyro used are crazy! I always thought the latest album wouldn't play well live but Tony really knows how to drive the crowd for some of the less action packed moments.

fallout

HammerOfThor said:
Mustaine generally seems pissed off about most things that have happened to him in the music industry. I think it's what keeps him pumping out good music.

Blackheim

Cptkrush said:
Went to BTBAM/Animals As Leaders/Tesseract show in Ybor City last night. God that show was so intense, AAL tore it up. Anyone else see them recently?

HAH, you must be in my neighborhood somewhere *checks your profile* Yep, next door neighbors :p I was going to go to the Death Angel show at the Brass Mug, unfortunately I wasn't able to make it D: If they played, there seemed to be conflicting information...

jmdajr

I think I must have listened to the 1000 times Goodbye song by Megadeth a lot. I think at the time I was having a tough time dealing with some chick.

blahness

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! Nasum was just confirmed for Maryland Deathfest 2012! Already got tickets and this makes the wait so much harder.

Greg

Cptkrush said:
How does Tesseract's new vocalist sound live? I was disappointed to hear Dan left because his range was incredible.

blahness said:
HOLY FUCKING SHIT! Nasum was just confirmed for Maryland Deathfest 2012! Already got tickets and this makes the wait so much harder.

Lucky bastard.

I just checked if any more shows were announced, but a quick look didnt yield any useful information. Instead, I found that Relapse is having a birthday sale: 50% off all Relapse titles from 4 November to 2 December and each (week)day a classic Relapse title for only 21 cents. You think a Nasum title will be among them?
http://www.relapse.com//store.html

Blackheim

www.gwar.net

Dave Brockie aka Oderus Urungus said:
After a restless night spent hurtling through the desolate Canadian wilderness, I crawled from my bunk on the tour bus to face reality, grudgingly aware that the the dark dream that gripped us would not fade with the day. We have lost a brother, a husband, a son, and one of the most talented musicians that ever slung an ax. Cory Smoot, longtime lead guitar player for the band GWAR, has passed at the age of 34.

As the singer of GWAR and one of his best friends, I feel it is my duty to try and answer some of the questions that surround his tragic and untimely death. I know the sense of loss and pain is far greater in scope than in the insulated environment of a band on tour, and I will do my best to provide what clarity and comfort I can.

The most glaring question is how? And unfortunately that is the hardest question to answer. The truth will not be known until the medical officials have finished their work. All I can do is relate what we saw with our own eyes.

The last time I saw Cory was after our show in Minneapolis on Weds. night. It was a great show at First Avenue in Minneapolis, one of our favorite places to play. Cory was happy. He was excited about the band and especially the new studio he was building in the Slave Pit back in Richmond. He was deeply in love with his wife, Jamie, and was busily planning their family and future in the beautiful home they had. As usual, after some autographs and banter, I was probably the first person in their bunk as we got ready for a big drive into Canada, and Cory and the rest of the guys were not far behind. As I fell into the slumber that only playing GWAR shows can induce, everything seemed right in the world.

We found Cory the next morning as we collected passports for a border crossing. He was in his bunk, unresponsive, and it quickly was clear that he was dead. It was without a doubt the most horrible moment of my life. That’s all I can say about it.

Within moments everybody was off the bus, standing in a wind-swept parking lot in the middle of nowhere, trying to come to grips with the shock of it. First the ambulance arrived, and then the police, but there was nothing that could be done other than fully investigate the scene and remove Cory with care and respect.

We are completely devastated and shocked beyond belief. One night we had our friend and colleague, happy and healthy in the middle of our best tour in years- and the next morning, so suddenly, he was gone. Never have I seen starker proof of the fragility of life.

Cory will be transported home to Richmond over the next few days, and an announcement regarding services will be made soon. We ask everyone to respect the families wish for privacy, and especially to keep his wife, Jamie, in your thoughts and prayers.

As we work our way through these difficult days the question is — what will GWAR do? After a lot of consideration, we have decided to carry on with the tour. Although the great temptation would be to return home, curl into a fetal position, and mourn, we can’t do that. First off, Cory wouldn’t want that. He would want us to go on and would be pissed if we didn’t. Plus we know the fans don’t want us to quit. They are going to want a chance to come to grips with their loss, and there is no better place to do that than at a GWAR show. Though it’s hard to believe, I think we all would feel a lot worse if we stopped. For better or worse we have to see this through.

That doesn’t mean that Cory will make his final journey without us. When the arrangements have been finalized, Cory’s best friend and GWAR’s music tech Dave “Gibby” Gibson, and myself will return home to attend the services and pay the proper respects to our comrade.

Out of respect to Cory, we have officially retired the character of Flattus Maximus. Flattus has decided to return to his beloved “Planet Home”, and will never return to this mudball planet again. And this is a sadder place for that.

Just the other day I heard Cory tell a story about how some 20 years ago he was fourteen years old, at his first GWAR show, grabbing at the rubber feet of our then- current Flattus, and how blown away he was at the fact that now HE was the one getting his feet pulled by the same kid that he used to be. Cory was always in awe of the patterns of life and went through it with a wide-eyed amazement that translated through his playing. I’ve never known anyone who could pick up literally any instrument and rock it the first time he touched it, and more than that make it look easy. Behind that rubber monster outfit, and sometimes even obscured by it, was one of the most talented and beautiful people I have ever known. I know everyone who’s life was touched by Cory truly loved him, as do we, his bandmates and brothers.

There should be some kind of announcement soon regarding services, etc. It would be great to have a memorial show at some point soon, where some of the bands that Cory worked with could come together and show their love for this truly amazing man who left us all too soon and will be sorely missed by many, many people.

Dave Brockie, Nov. 4, 2011

Man, that's rough and they are going to try to keep the tour going. I hope they can keep it together and make it through this. Love them or hate them, they are awesome entertainers.

Flynn said:
There have been rumors of a classic Big Four tour with Priest and others (Maiden, though improbable, was mentioned).

fucking hell. That would be pretty fucking amazing.
However it would take some sort of miracle for Maiden and Ozzy to share the same stage again after that egging incident a few years ago. Fuck Ozzy and Sharon.

Flynn said:
There have been rumors of a classic Big Four tour with Priest and others (Maiden, though improbable, was mentioned).

Jesus fucking CHRIST.

Metal-GAF, it's safe to say we would ALL go to a show if it were Sabbath, Priest, and Maiden... correct?

But yeah, fuck Sharon. Best case scenario is they somehow manage to make Dio rise from his grave for this show. I hope Geezer is a Necromancer. :(

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
TheLastCandle said:
Jesus fucking CHRIST.

Metal-GAF, it's safe to say we would ALL go to a show if it were Sabbath, Priest, and Maiden... correct?

But yeah, fuck Sharon. Best case scenario is they somehow manage to make Dio rise from his grave for this show. I hope Geezer is a Necromancer. :(

I'd go just for Sabbath and Priest alone.

Flynn

Phobophile said:
I'd go just for Sabbath and Priest alone.

And this seems like a sure thing. Did you guys know that Rob Halford subbed for Ozzy when he got sick during that last Sabbath tour? I would love to hear a whole set of Halford singing Sabbath.

Derrick01

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
As much as I don't want to believe that, when you release an album this soon after your last release in today's music climate AND half of that album is songs that have already been released, it really does seem like an effort to get out of a record deal.

I wonder if he's bitter about being stuck on that tour with Godsmack and Disturbed. From what I've heard he was enraged about that tour.

I would be bitter about it too. Hell the ad I heard on the radio about it here in Florida even mentioned one of those two as the headliner over Megadeth which I thought was hugely disrespectful. He wasn't even happy when Slayer was ahead of them in one of the big 4 concerts, no doubt he'd be really pissed if those 2 shit bands were.

edit: Also I had to lol at the rumored other big 4 tour. Trying to ride the coat-tails of the real big 4 :p

Derrick01 said:
edit: Also I had to lol at the rumored other big 4 tour. Trying to ride the coat-tails of the real big 4 :p

My question about this other big 4 is... who is the 4th member?

If we are talking Traditional/Pioneers of Metal, everyone includes Sabbath, Priest, and Maiden. Motorhead maybe?

Derrick01

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
My question about this other big 4 is... who is the 4th member?

If we are talking Traditional/Pioneers of Metal Everyone includes Sabbath, Priest, and Maiden. Motorhead maybe?

That would be my best guess for the 4th. Those were the 4 biggest before thrash took off.

yacobod

Banned
instead of Motorhead in that aforementioned fantasy 4, i'd sub in van halen with david lee roth.

Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, Van Halen. That would be a killer bill.

Korranator

yacobod said:
instead of Motorhead in that aforementioned fantasy 4, i'd sub in van halen with david lee roth.

Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, Van Halen. That would be a killer bill.

Not sure if serious.

Has to be joke post.

Korranator said:
Not sure if serious.

Has to be joke post.

Personally, I'd prefer VH over Motorhead. Nothing against Motorhead, but I fucking love Van Halen to a sickening degree.

However, Motorhead seem like the obvious fit.

Cptkrush

Greg said:
How does Tesseract's new vocalist sound live? I was disappointed to hear Dan left because his range was incredible.
They sounded pretty good, but to be honest I had never listened to them before last night.

Maddog

Greg said:

He left? Damn. I saw him with them when they opened for Protest and he was pretty awesome.

Flynn said:
In a perfect world it would have been Dio. Though Deep Purple might have been the better argument.

Yeah, I'd definitely prefer either of those over Motorhead or Van Halen. I just think as a package deal Motorhead makes more sense.

My dream package for the Big 4 of Metal Legends?

Black Sabbath with Dio
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Deep Purple

... and now it can never happen. A Rainbow reuinion as well. Never happening.

... I've had too much rum and I'm listening to Rising.

Edit: Join me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6W7jMURpGU&feature=related

Flynn

TheLastCandle said:
Yeah, I'd definitely prefer either of those over Motorhead or Van Halen. I just think as a package deal Motorhead makes more sense.

My dream package for the Big 4 of Metal Legends?

Black Sabbath with Dio
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Deep Purple

... and now it can never happen. A Rainbow reuinion as well. Never happening.

... I've had too much rum and I'm listening to Rising.

Edit: Join me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6W7jMURpGU&feature=related

Yeah, and Motorhead has come up in the rumors -- though I wonder long they'll be supporting Megadeth.

yacobod

Banned
why would van halen be a joke? i'd rather see them live again with DLR than motorhead again. i've seen lemmy and company like 4 or 5 times live before, don't really care to see them again really.

Flynn

yacobod said:
why would van halen be a joke? i'd rather see them live again with DLR than motorhead again. i've seen lemmy and company like 4 or 5 times live before, don't really care to see them again really.

Sadly, I've never seen Motorhead so I lean in that direction.

Never saw original Van Halen, but saw Roth solo and enough of Van Hagar to be over them.

Korranator

yacobod said:
Well that makes a bit more sense now.

Nothing wrong with Van Halen, but they aren't Metal.

Edit - Nor is Deep Purple, or Rainbow. Granted the influence of the 3 bands is major..... However, Motorhead was one of the originators of the entire extreme Metal genre.

TheLastCandle said:

I used to really love these guys. One of my top bands a few years ago but IMO Unia was the beginning of the end. It wasn't a terrible album, but the first 4 albums they released were so damn good. They tried to do something different with Unia and the album was OK, but largely meh. Then The Days of Grays came out and I was sorely disappointed. The Last Amazing Grays is a classic awesome SA song, and Flag in the Ground is also awesome, but all the other songs are just boring to me. :/ I've tried to get into that album so much, but I'm losing faith in them.

Lionheart1827 said:
I used to really love these guys. One of my top bands a few years ago but IMO Unia was the beginning of the end. It wasn't a terrible album, but the first 4 albums they released were so damn good. They tried to do something different with Unia and the album was OK, but largely meh. Then The Days of Grays came out and I was sorely disappointed. The Last Amazing Grays is a classic awesome SA song, and Flag in the Ground is also awesome, but all the other songs are just boring to me. :/ I've tried to get into that album so much, but I'm losing faith in them.

I totally get that. I really like both Unia and Days, but they certainly aren't as good as what came prior. They both have some great tunes, but the band clearly doesn't want to play a bunch of hyperspeed melodic stuff anymore. They do the new proggier stuff well, but god what wouldn't I give for another Silence.

That said, this new song off of Days is one of my favorites they have ever done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ekHbncidYE

TheLastCandle said:
I totally get that. I really like both Unia and Days, but they certainly aren't as good as what came prior. They both have some great tunes, but the band clearly doesn't want to play a bunch of hyperspeed melodic stuff anymore. They do the new proggier stuff well, but god what wouldn't I give for another Silence.

That said, this new song off of Days is one of my favorites they have ever done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ekHbncidYE

I miss the days of great Sonata stuff like Wolf & Raven and 8th Commandment. I didn't like Unia at all, but Days grew on me. The big standouts for me are the song you posted and this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djCQt3NEi1Q

DimmuBurgerKing said:
I miss the days of great Sonata stuff like Wolf & Raven and 8th Commandment. I didn't like Unia at all, but Days grew on me. The big standouts for me are the song you posted and this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djCQt3NEi1Q

Great song! Not sure why it was a bonus track when BREATHING made it onto the album proper. Good god.

As far as Unia goes, yeah it's definitely the Black Sheep of the Sonata catalog. That said, this song is another personal favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1zkXdqcajk

They are just so melodically sound. I just wish they would put a little oomph back into their music.

Doomshine

This is one of my favorite Sonata Arctica songs:

http://youtu.be/685br8I_SpU

I haven't actually listened to The Days of Grays yet.

I decided to listen to some more Moonspell. Memorial was really boring to me, but I heard good things about Under Satanæ and it sounds pretty good so far. I'll probably listen to Night Eternal too while I'm at it, looks like it's got some mixed reactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom