• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a message from Svart that my copy of the Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats Blood Lust CD has shipped. Thanks to hie for the recommendation and Giant Robot for the heads up on the reissue. Now, how the hell do I get a legit copy of Vol. I?

Been playing the grooves off of a vinyl copy of Saint Vitus -- Heavier than Thou. I think my wife and kid are going to hide it. It's a really good collection and, as far as I can tell from reviews and such, the most efficient way to get into their material. Been on a vinyl kick lately (Misfits, Alice Donut, Lard, Black Flag, Priest, etc. etc.), but Vitus is probably of the most interest to this crowd.

Thinking next I'll go with another old doom collection (Pentagram-Turn to Stone, alas CD) but more recommendations -- especially if they hit the target like Uncle Acid -- are always welcome.

jmdajr

Finally got around to playing Brutal Legend...man there is a lot of great music on there, especially a lot of stuff I have never really heard (just sort of knew by name).

I gotta get the angel witch cd.

Saw Anthrax, Testament and Death Angel Friday night here in Cleveland. Man, I had a real good time. I havent seen Anthrax since the original Clash of the Titans tour, hah

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Woo got my Uncle Acid CD in the mail today. That was fucking fast--4 days from Finland to Chicago.

Saw Manowar on Saturday.

Dear. GOD.

This is my second time seeing them this year, and 3rd time overall. Loud as FUCK, my left ear is still ringing. Amazing show, amazing atmosphere, what else can you ask for?

Fuck yes, Nasum is confirmed for Graspop. I was thinking about going to Graspop, so this is great! Some more gigs: Maryland Deathfest X (May) and in July: Extremefest, in Austria, Germany and Switzerland, and Obscene Extreme Festival in the Czech Republic.

blahness

Fuck yes, Nasum is confirmed for Graspop. I was thinking about going to Graspop, so this is great! Some more gigs: Maryland Deathfest X (May) and in July: Extremefest, in Austria, Germany and Switzerland, and Obscene Extreme Festival in the Czech Republic.

Yes they confirmed Maryland Deathfest a few weeks ago and I am so stoked. They are one band I thought I had lost the chance of ever seeing.

That band fucking kicks ass. I saw them with Skeletonwitch in a warehouse a couple years ago. Really, really solid live, which is surprising given some of the guitar theatrics they get into.

I can't wait to hear the rest of this album.

Yeah, it's one thing to do stuff like Dragonforce and then completely botch it live, and it's another to actually nail every single note like Vektor do. I'm a pretty high-end guitarist myself and the stuff they do still blows my mind. I somewhat dislike some of their riffs, but when they get things right, it's among the best stuff out there.

Saw Manowar on Saturday.

Dear. GOD.

This is my second time seeing them this year, and 3rd time overall. Loud as FUCK, my left ear is still ringing. Amazing show, amazing atmosphere, what else can you ask for?

Happy for you! I want to see them so bad but they are never in a reasonable distance(or in) Chicago!

Zozobra

I'm thinking about seeing Mayhem on Sunday. Anybody seen them recently?

I saw them last Monday in Vancouver. Despite the awful sound guy at the Rickshaw, Mayhem's set was fucking awesome - lots of 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas' material. Seeing Hellhammer play live was worth the price of admission alone for me.

Although when I say "seeing Hellhammer" it was more like hearing. The fog machine was cranked to 11 that night lol.

Flynn

I saw them last Monday in Vancouver. Despite the awful sound guy at the Rickshaw, Mayhem's set was fucking awesome - lots of 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas' material. Seeing Hellhammer play live was worth the price of admission alone for me.

Although when I say "seeing Hellhammer" it was more like hearing. The fog machine was cranked to 11 that night lol.

That's the kind of encouragement I was hoping for.

Just got my tickets for the Roadburn 2012! :)
Any gaffers going?

Agalloch
Ancient VVisdom
Ancestors
Chelsea Wolfe
Christian Mistress
d.USK/diSEMBOWELMENT – (playing an exclusive set of diSEMBOWELMENT’s legendary funeral doom opus, Transcendence into the Peripheral)
Michael Gira – (acoustic solo performance)
Hammers of Misfortune
Horisont
Killing Joke
La Otracina
Lord Vicar
OM
Orchid
Priestess
Red Fang
Saturnalia Temple
Sigiriya
Spiders
Ulver
Virus
Voivod
White Static Demon vs JK Flesh – (Justin K Broadrick Residency)
Year of the Goat
Anekdoten
Aun
Black Breath
Celeste
Conan
Danava
Doom
Dopethrone
End of Level Boss
Farflung
Kong
Nachtmystium (playing Instict: Decay in its entirety)
Valient Thorr
Voivod (playing Dimension Hatröss in its entirety for the first time ever)
Witch
Yob (playing The Unreal Never Lived in full)
Barn Owl
Final - (Justin K Broadrick Residency)
Gnod
Hexvessel
Sólstafir
40 Watt Sun
Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell
Bongripper
Celestial Season (performing Solar Lovers in its entirety for the first time ever)
Church of Misery
Dark Buddha Rising
Devil
Heavy Jam (J Mascis, Mario Rubalcaba, Mike Eginton, Graham Clise)
Jesu – (Justin K Broadrick Residency)
Jucifer
Leaf Hound – playing their seminal Growers of Mushroom LP in its entirety
Necro Deathmort
Necros Christos
The Obsessed
Pelican
Purson
Saviours
Sleep
Tombs
Bob Wayne and the Outlaw Carnies
Atlantis
Black Cobra
Bong
Bongripper – Satan Worshipping Doom: entire album performance
Dragged Into Sunlight
Coroner
Fleshpress
Internal Void
The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation
Urfaust
Yob (playing Catharsis in its entirety)

:D

The festival is expensive, but I tell you, it is so well organized that you can really make the most out of it so I think it's worth the price. I have been in cheaper fests but so badly organized that you end up missing half of the stuff you want to see. I would really recommend everyone to go to Roadburn at least once.

hadar

Been on a Turisas kick lately and oh coincidence they have a show near me tomorrow.
Thinking about going, should I ecpect an obvious good time? :D

Are there any decent metal releases for the rest of the year? I don't see anything, but I might be missing something.

I don't know of anything that releases this year that I'm looking forward to. Nightwish releases an album on the 5th of December though.

Does anyone here listen to The Devil's Blood? They're not a metal band, they play Satanic 70s inspired psychedelic/hard rock. The album they recently released is pretty amazing, I really recommend it (the other material is top notch too). My favourite tracks so far are She and Fire Burning, but the last three tracks back to back are also a required listen.

o3500357.jpg

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/speler/luisterpaal/45269872#luisterpaal.45269872

Well holy fuck. I went to what may be one of the best metal shows I've ever been to in my life last night, and I hadn't heard of a single fucking band

It was a Chicago death metal show, and all four acts are apparently native to the city. The lineup was:

Bones
Cardiac Arrest
Johnny Vomit
Cianide

One of my friends who has exquisite taste in metal invited me to the show. Normally I say "fuck this" to anybody who tells me about some obscure "local" metal band (in this case, as in loca-ish to chicago) because usually they suck. But this guy is the most knowledgable person I know when it comes to metal. He actually has a Lord of the Rings themed doom metal band (or as he calls it, true kazahd-doom, after the bridge of kazadwhatever, i'm drunk so i can't remember but you get the idea). Anyway, every single act was awesome. Bones is apparently new, with only one album that dropped this year.

Bones! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mybiY3KNVHg

Cardiac Arrest was also surprisingly talented.

Unfortunately, since I'm an old man (I'm 21), I sat out most of Johnny Vomit's set (because I wanted to save energy for what my friend assured me would be an awesome show in Cianide), but I saw the last three or so songs of theirs. They were gimmicky, but hilarious. One song was about spilling beer and the most prevalent lyric was "what the fuck", and it was awesome. Also slices of white bread were being thrown around during the set. Weird.

But jesus fucking christ, Cianide was phenomenal. I can't believe how unknown they are. Amazing stage presence, all the guys struck the perfect balance for me of seeming super cool and fun but also metal as fuck, and just some of the best death metal I've ever heard. Which is crazy, because I never feel confident about making that statement in regards to a band I've only heard for the first time. I was talking to a couple people in attendance though, and one person just kept going on and on about how Cianide was "the best death metal band in America" and how their performances were "absolutely legendary". This dude was wasted as fuck, so I didn't pay him much heed, but after their set I totally understand his position. Obviously I haven't heard enough of them to decide weather or not they are the best death metal band in america, but they immediately became one of my top death metal bands. So. Fucking. Good.

Here are two songs from their newest album that I'm currently jamming on. Hopefully some of you in this thread will enjoy them as much as I have (for the whole two days I've known about them)

Forsaken Doom
Terrorstrike

Seanspeed

Banned
But jesus fucking christ, Cianide was phenomenal. I can't believe how unknown they are. Amazing stage presence, all the guys struck the perfect balance for me of seeming super cool and fun but also metal as fuck, and just some of the best death metal I've ever heard. Which is crazy, because I never feel confident about making that statement in regards to a band I've only heard for the first time. I was talking to a couple people in attendance though, and one person just kept going on and on about how Cianide was "the best death metal band in America" and how their performances were "absolutely legendary". This dude was wasted as fuck, so I didn't pay him much heed, but after their set I totally understand his position. Obviously I haven't heard enough of them to decide weather or not they are the best death metal band in america, but they immediately became one of my top death metal bands. So. Fucking. Good.

Here are two songs from their newest album that I'm currently jamming on. Hopefully some of you in this thread will enjoy them as much as I have (for the whole two days I've known about them)

Forsaken Doom
Terrorstrike

Sounds like old Machine Head with death metal vocals.

Well holy fuck. I went to what may be one of the best metal shows I've ever been to in my life last night, and I hadn't heard of a single fucking band

It was a Chicago death metal show, and all four acts are apparently native to the city. The lineup was:

Bones
Cardiac Arrest
Johnny Vomit
Cianide

One of my friends who has exquisite taste in metal invited me to the show. Normally I say "fuck this" to anybody who tells me about some obscure "local" metal band (in this case, as in loca-ish to chicago) because usually they suck. But this guy is the most knowledgable person I know when it comes to metal. He actually has a Lord of the Rings themed doom metal band (or as he calls it, true kazahd-doom, after the bridge of kazadwhatever, i'm drunk so i can't remember but you get the idea). Anyway, every single act was awesome. Bones is apparently new, with only one album that dropped this year.

Bones! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mybiY3KNVHg

Cardiac Arrest was also surprisingly talented.

Unfortunately, since I'm an old man (I'm 21), I sat out most of Johnny Vomit's set (because I wanted to save energy for what my friend assured me would be an awesome show in Cianide), but I saw the last three or so songs of theirs. They were gimmicky, but hilarious. One song was about spilling beer and the most prevalent lyric was "what the fuck", and it was awesome. Also slices of white bread were being thrown around during the set. Weird.

Forsaken Doom
Terrorstrike
Cianide are awesome! First two albums are essential for anyone into doomy death metal.
Gods of Death was one of the better death metal albums from this year. I think I made a post about it earlier in the thread.

They're good, but they're no Moonsorrow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtAbSU_AoeI

I prefer Moonsorrow too, but they are different beasts. Moonsorrow is brooding and dark, Turisas are more light hearted and theatrical.

ChoklitReign said:
What are Helloween's essential albums? I only own 7 Sinners.

I know it sounds a bit fanboyish, but almost all of their albums are at least good, most are great to amazing.

My faves are:

Walls of Jericho
Keepers part 1 & 2
Master of the Rings
Time of the Oath
Better than Raw
The Dark Ride
Keepers: The Legacy
Gambling with the Devil

Bah. No way for me to talk about Helloween and not gush. Albums I would avoid would be Chameleon and Rabbit Don't Come Easy. Pink Bubbles is actually pretty good.

Just got my tickets for the Roadburn 2012! :)
Any gaffers going?

]Agalloch
Ancient VVisdom
Ancestors
Chelsea Wolfe
Christian Mistress
d.USK/diSEMBOWELMENT – (playing an exclusive set of diSEMBOWELMENT’s legendary funeral doom opus, Transcendence into the Peripheral)
Michael Gira – (acoustic solo performance)
Hammers of Misfortune
Horisont
Killing Joke
La Otracina
Lord Vicar
OM
Orchid
Priestess
Red Fang
Saturnalia Temple
Sigiriya
Spiders
Ulver
Virus
Voivod
White Static Demon vs JK Flesh – (Justin K Broadrick Residency)
Year of the Goat
Anekdoten
Aun
Black Breath
Celeste
Conan
Danava
Doom
Dopethrone
End of Level Boss
Farflung
Kong
Nachtmystium (playing Instict: Decay in its entirety)
Valient Thorr
Voivod (playing Dimension Hatröss in its entirety for the first time ever)
Witch
Yob (playing The Unreal Never Lived in full)
Barn Owl
Final - (Justin K Broadrick Residency)
Gnod
Hexvessel
Sólstafir
40 Watt Sun
Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell
Bongripper
Celestial Season (performing Solar Lovers in its entirety for the first time ever)
Church of Misery
Dark Buddha Rising
Devil
Heavy Jam (J Mascis, Mario Rubalcaba, Mike Eginton, Graham Clise)
Jesu – (Justin K Broadrick Residency)
Jucifer
Leaf Hound – playing their seminal Growers of Mushroom LP in its entirety
Necro Deathmort
Necros Christos
The Obsessed
Pelican
Purson
Saviours
Sleep
Tombs
Bob Wayne and the Outlaw Carnies
Atlantis
Black Cobra
Bong
Bongripper – Satan Worshipping Doom: entire album performance
Dragged Into Sunlight
Coroner
Fleshpress
Internal Void
The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation
Urfaust
Yob (playing Catharsis in its entirety)

:D
why dosnt the US get awesome fest like this....? *wishes he can go to holland to this awesome fest*

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
My grindcore band Creative Waste was just confirmed for Obscene Extreme 2012. :) First MDF, now Obscene. Gonna destroy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom