• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ilúvatar;33108316 said:
No love for The Black Dahlia Murder :( but I'm glad to see that Obscura got some recognition in Decibel's list

How is their new one? I've heard good things but I haven't checked it out. I really enjoyed Nocturnal, would you say it's comparable?

Greg

How is their new one? I've heard good things but I haven't checked it out. I really enjoyed Nocturnal, would you say it's comparable?
The new one isn't my favorite CD as a whole from them, but there are some incredible tracks on it (Moonlight Equilibrium, Carbonized In Cruciform, and The Grave Robber's Work to name a few).

People that have dismissed them in the past might want to give it a go because they do some new things, but if you enjoyed their other stuff it's similar enough that I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's closer to Nocturnal than it is to Deflorate, but it's definitely their most unique release.

This song has an awesome black metal feel to it that's pretty different for them - especially once the chorus bit kicks in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2vPguLx4cs

New Eluveitie album coming on Feb 10th.

eluveitie2011cd.jpg

I thought their last one was actually very good, so we'll see how this one turns out.

Imaginaerum is creeping up my best albums list for the year. It's really awesome provided you like absurd amounts of pomp.

Flynn

I just saw an episode of Metal Evolution on VH1. I find That Metal Show kind of boring (and narrow), but this thing is by Sam Dunn, that Canadian dude who did A Head Banger's Journey.

Now, the show isn't about Carcass or anything that extreme, but he takes the time to get good stories from the bands -- real specific stuff about how they put together their hits. For example: The episode I saw was about hard music in the '70s -- and there was more than a little time spent on Kiss' disco song "I Was Made For Loving You."

I'll be DVRing more.

I just saw an episode of Metal Evolution on VH1. I find That Metal Show kind of boring (and narrow), but this thing is by Sam Dunn, that Canadian dude who did A Head Banger's Journey.

Now, the show isn't about Carcass or anything that extreme, but he takes the time to get good stories from the bands -- real specific stuff about how they put together their hits. For example: The episode I saw was about hard music in the '70s -- and there was more than a little time spent on Kiss' disco song "I Was Made For Loving You."

I'll be DVRing more.

thanks for the heads up. I find most history metal documentaries boring and there will always be something that will throw something off for me, but Sam Dunn delivers well.

I'll be DVRing more.

I've been DVRing it, and it's a fun watch!

People that get a bit too serious about the sub-genres of Metal will probably hate it like they hated Metal: AHJ because he uses the same "Metal Family Tree" thing he used then for this. I remember that chart getting a ton of shit online when it came out. I really like Sam Dunn though, it's clear he's passionate and intelligent.

Mordeccai

I woke up today and I'm feeling in the mood to listen to thrash... then I realize I have very little of it to listen to. My go to is usually Megadeth and Slayer, and they're pretty much it. A few Pantera songs can scratch my itch, but I don't really consider them more southern/groove.

Can anybody help a dude out?

Gaspode_T

I woke up today and I'm feeling in the mood to listen to thrash... then I realize I have very little of it to listen to. My go to is usually Megadeth and Slayer, and they're pretty much it. A few Pantera songs can scratch my itch, but I don't really consider them more southern/groove.

Exodus, Kreator, Testament, Lamb of God, Vader

I'll be DVRing more.

WHAT THE FUCK? I find out about the new Eluveitie AND this on the same day? I can't remember when the metal gods have given me two gifts at the same time. I fucking love Sam Dunn, and when I first saw Metal: A Headbanger's Journey I thought to myself that this guy should do a very in depth look at the evolution of the genre. I cannot believe I hadn't heard about this before. I watched the first two episodes, and it's exactly what I was hoping it would be. Dunn is very intelligent, has good taste in metal, is balanced in how he presents the information, and he gets a lot of excellent interviews with people who are very knowledgable on the different aspects of the genre.

Can't wait for the next episode to see him delve into Sabbath and Zeppelin. Horns up motherfuckers, this is going to be one hell of an excellent series \m/

blahness

Try Coroner as well as the other suggestions

Early Metallica, Venom and Celtic Frost
Sodom
some Death songs and Mastodon songs
Anthrax

Some decent modern thrash:

Skeletonwitch
Vektor
Havok
Warbringer
Evile

I've been DVRing it, and it's a fun watch!

People that get a bit too serious about the sub-genres of Metal will probably hate it like they hated Metal: AHJ because he uses the same "Metal Family Tree" thing he used then for this. I remember that chart getting a ton of shit online when it came out. I really like Sam Dunn though, it's clear he's passionate and intelligent.
Wait a minute, what's this about? Why were people up in arms about that? Were certain bands categorized wrong or something? Is there a link anywhere to the chart?

Flynn

Wait a minute, what's this about? Why were people up in arms about that? Were certain bands categorized wrong or something? Is there a link anywhere to the chart?

Some people: Band A) is in the wrong category. They're not even metal!

Other people: Music can't be categorized, man. This is a bummer.

Doomshine

If I remember correctly it had Cradle of Filth under Norwegian Black Metal or something like that, some people didn't like that I guess.

Here's two clips from my band's, Enochian Crescent's, acoustic gig that was on friday.

Tango Absinto (piano version), Muisto Sorkasta/Ghost of Saturn medley:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNBD805qQA4
Grey Skin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSqj6qMTBAk
Nice, I was just about to ask you about the gig. Loving the piano!

I couldn't make it unfortunately, had an exam the same day. Sucks, but maybe I'll get another chance to see some acoustic EC goodness some day.

Melchiah

Nice, I was just about to ask you about the gig. Loving the piano!

I couldn't make it unfortunately, had an exam the same day. Sucks, but maybe I'll get another chance to see some acoustic EC goodness some day.

There were some relatively minor blunders, which is no wonder as we managed to rehearse the piano version only a couple of times and the whole set a handful of times, but otherwise the performance went as planned. The incense somewhat sweetened the smell of decay, that came from the vial where I've been collecting my blood the past three-four months. It remains to be seen whether we'll do another acoustic gig in the future. Personally, I want to keep it as a rare treat.

The gig was also a farewell to WCH, a group who have organized countless gigs in Finland during the last decade. The end of an era.

EDIT: Pics from the gig: http://www.metalscope.net/gallery/index.php?view=pictures&category=events&event_id=749&band_id=60

EDIT.2: Here's two more clips.
Black Church: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd3-InJ3Vws
Tuhkaa: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umdcleg6Mug

Deadstar

Hey guys, metalsucks.net has got the new Lamb of God track up for streaming!

Click here.

Sounds good! I think this album is going to be awesome! I like the production more here than the last album. It sounds to me like there is more bass and crunch. What do you guys think? THERE'S NO ONE LEFT TO SAVE!

Paganfest III North America bands and dates revealed.

374685_275323999185909_204520189599624_887144_1642355110_n.jpg

Thu 3/29 - Baltimore, MD @ Sonar
Fri 3/30 - Worcester, MA @ Palladium
Sat 3/31 - New York, NY @ Gramercy Theatre
Sun 4/01 - Montreal, QC @ Club Soda
Mon 4/02 - Toronto, ON @ The Opera House
Tue 4/03 - Cleveland, OH @ Peabody's
Wed 4/04 - Detroit, MI @ Blondie's
Thu 4/05 - Chicago, IL @ Reggie's Rock Club
Fri 4/06 - Saint Paul, MN @ Station 4
Sat 4/07 - Louisville, KY @ Vernon Club
Sun 4/08 - Charlotte, NC @ Tremont Music Hall
Fri 4/13 - Denver, CO @ Summit Music Hall
Sun 4/15 - Seattle, WA @ Studio Seven
Mon 4/16 - Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theatre
Tue 4/17 - San Francisco, CA DNA Lounge
Wed 4/18 - West Hollywood, CA @ Key Club

I'm most likely going to the show in Baltimore. That venue kinda sucks and is in the middle of nowhere, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Chorazin

New Eluveitie album coming on Feb 10th.

eluveitie2011cd.jpg

I thought their last one was actually very good, so we'll see how this one turns out.

Imaginaerum is creeping up my best albums list for the year. It's really awesome provided you like absurd amounts of pomp.

Ahhh, so that's why they're touring the states. I might go see them on Jan 29th in Reading, PA, but they aren't the headlining band and I'm not the biggest Children of Bodom fan. They were amazing when I saw them on the Heathenfest tour a while back.

Leunam

This fucking album.

tT3AR.jpg

God damn.

Anyone have any recommendations for where I should go from here (more Amon Amarth or something similar)?

This fucking album.

tT3AR.jpg

God damn.

Anyone have any recommendations for where I should go from here (more Amon Amarth or something similar)?

yea, go backwards from there. Too much love for their recent overproduced stuff and not enough love for their older stuff.

Legend of a Banished Man
The Dragon's Flight Across The Waves
Bastards of a Lying Breed

Might as well throw in Unleashed in there as well:
Shadows In The Deep
Onward Into Countless Battles
To Asgaard We Fly
Victims Of War

and copied from the Metallica thread:

Metallica fans and thrash metal bands in general, there's a new book coming out put out by Bazillion Points called "Murder In The Front Row." It's a photo book of the prominent thrash bands including tons of Metallica ones. The Legacy/Testament, Exodus, Megadeth, Slayer, Forbidden, Vio-Lence, etc.

Murder-front.jpg

murd1.jpg

proofs2.jpg

murder-back.jpg

sfmurder-dustjacket-0909112.jpg

Paganfest III North America bands and dates revealed.

374685_275323999185909_204520189599624_887144_1642355110_n.jpg

Thu 3/29 - Baltimore, MD @ Sonar
Fri 3/30 - Worcester, MA @ Palladium
Sat 3/31 - New York, NY @ Gramercy Theatre
Sun 4/01 - Montreal, QC @ Club Soda
Mon 4/02 - Toronto, ON @ The Opera House
Tue 4/03 - Cleveland, OH @ Peabody's
Wed 4/04 - Detroit, MI @ Blondie's
Thu 4/05 - Chicago, IL @ Reggie's Rock Club
Fri 4/06 - Saint Paul, MN @ Station 4
Sat 4/07 - Louisville, KY @ Vernon Club
Sun 4/08 - Charlotte, NC @ Tremont Music Hall
Fri 4/13 - Denver, CO @ Summit Music Hall
Sun 4/15 - Seattle, WA @ Studio Seven
Mon 4/16 - Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theatre
Tue 4/17 - San Francisco, CA DNA Lounge
Wed 4/18 - West Hollywood, CA @ Key Club

I'm most likely going to the show in Baltimore. That venue kinda sucks and is in the middle of nowhere, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

going to seattle , if i can Turisas KILLED last time. Still wish Primordial was on the tour.

Leunam

This is awesome, thanks.

I don't mind the "over-produced" sound. If I had a choice of either on the same album, I'd probably take it every time. It used to really bug me listening to music that sounds like it's going through a fuzz pedal but I've gotten over that little by little. The lower production values don't add anything to the experience for me.

Korranator

This fucking album.

tT3AR.jpg

God damn.

Yes, Here:

Be'lakor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWcH2swVId4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK_AIC97dMM

In Mourning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XiSQHchLg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP9Ena-a4ug&feature=related

In Vain http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm6W3W5pvZw&feature=related

That will keep you busy for awhile.

Blackheim

Metallica fans and thrash metal bands in general, there's a new book coming out put out by Bazillion Points called "Murder In The Front Row." It's a photo book of the prominent thrash bands including tons of Metallica ones. The Legacy/Testament, Exodus, Megadeth, Slayer, Forbidden, Vio-Lence, etc.

mmmm yes, WANT! Don't know if I will though >_> $35 and xmas shopping damaged the wallet a bit + still not done with it. Blah...

want...

This fucking album.

tT3AR.jpg

God damn.

I fucking love this album. It's actually probably my favorite AA album. Go back one album for my second favorite, With Oden on Our Side.

Gaspode_T

Get to see Judas Priest at the legendary Budokan in Tokyo in Feb! I got pretty killer seats too, 2nd row on the right side of the arena (would have preferred 2nd row of the floor but in Japan concert seats are literally randomly assigned)

I believe them when they say it's the final tour - I saw Halford last year and he looked pretty much barely in touring shape, not as bad as Ozzy but still kind of worrisome.

Flynn

Get to see Judas Priest at the legendary Budokan in Tokyo in Feb! I got pretty killer seats too, 2nd row on the right side of the arena (would have preferred 2nd row of the floor but in Japan concert seats are literally randomly assigned)

I believe them when they say it's the final tour - I saw Halford last year and he looked pretty much barely in touring shape, not as bad as Ozzy but still kind of worrisome.

Yeah, I wonder what is going on with him.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
I fucking love this album. It's actually probably my favorite AA album. Go back one album for my second favorite, With Oden on Our Side.
I like With Oden On Our Side more than Twilight of the Thunder God because of slower tempo
oh and my metal album of the year is still Iconoclast

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I think we may have an album of the year contender here, folks:

The Devil's Blood - The Thousandfold Epicentre

TheDevilsBlood_ThousandFold.jpg

Pinned as an "Occult Rock album", The Thousandfold Epicentre is what happens when you mix Jefferson Airplane with Witchcraft and Saint Vitus.

yeah... you heard me. Enchanting female vocals mixed with Doom and 70s psychedelia. I received the ultra-deluxe limited vinyl release in the mail this morning and having just listened to it I'm blown away. Terrorizer were right to give it album of the month.

Check 'em out.

Got around to listening to Vallenfyre tonight.

Om nom nom! For some reason, it hits the spot... like a good meal you didn't know you were in the mood for but it makes you happy.

Blackheim

Got around to listening to Vallenfyre tonight.

Om nom nom! For some reason, it hits the spot... like a good meal you didn't know you were in the mood for but it makes you happy.

Yep :D I had not listened to that kind of Doom in a long time and then I heard the first samples of the album. I was like ... oh ... OH! ... MMMM! Good stuff :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom