• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

On what could be their last black metal album before they go full-on folk, the atmospheric "eco-spiritual" Olympia duo Wolves in the Throne Room created what felt like American black metal's idiosyncratic defining record of 2011, a mix of ethereal female vocals, woodsy atmospherics, and blistering extended post-Weakling black metal riffage. In some ways Celestial Lineage feels like a throwback when compared to the claustrophobic experimentation of Leviathan's headier pieces or the genre-shifting hyper-speed "occult metal" of contemporary Absu. Unlike a lot of that other stuff, though, it also feels like a classic.

WHAT?

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Another great first-listen from NPR

Cormorant "Dwellings"

DWyf3.jpg

Streaming this album and it's pretty fucking sweet. I'll have to check out their first LP.

Haven't been to Pitchfork in years but it's finally good to see they have someone who actually knows metal writing for them.

blahness

Good to see, that two of my friends' bands got a honorable mention.

The new Rotten Sound album is awesome. Glad that Keijo will be on vocals for Nasum when they do the farewell shows. He is a perfect fit.

Streaming this album and it's pretty fucking sweet. I'll have to check out their first LP.

Haven't been to Pitchfork in years but it's finally good to see they have someone who actually knows metal writing for them.

WOW nice. I am loving this so far.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This new Cormorant album sounds pretty good so far. Someone posted about their first album in here when it came out a few years ago and I really liked it.

The Pitchfork list is pretty good — I'll have to check out the stuff on there that I missed. I really can't stand The Atlas Moth, though. I'm glad that Brandon Stosuy is back writing for Pitchfork. It's pretty much just him and Greyson Currin doing the metal stuff, but I like both of them, so that's alright with me.

Melchiah

The new Rotten Sound album is awesome. Glad that Keijo will be on vocals for Nasum when they do the farewell shows. He is a perfect fit.

I have to confess, that I haven't listened to it. =) Not really my kind of music, but it's always good when friends get recognition for their work. Desolate Shrine is more to my taste, and their upcoming material is even better.

I love listening to Dio when I'm down!

Whats some other metal to listen to when I'm down?

Preferably uplifting and nothing that will just fuel the fire lol.

e_i

Mmmm...the My Dying Bride album Barghest O'Whitby is .99 on Google Music, or 8.99 on Amazon MP3. Easy choice. I guess Google sees is as one track, while Amazon sees at one album (it's both).

Any fans of Zero Hour here? Such a fucking GREAT band.

I've met Jason and Troy at a local music store and somehow started talking about Atheist and Cynic. Eventually got them to come on my show quite a few times during the S/T and Towers of Avarice era. I see them at shows and keep in touch from time to time, but not so much anymore. Great guys and I was really into their first 2 albums.

The new Nightiwsh is. . .very patchy.

Its just a massive attempt at a film soundtrack with a single thrown in. Its exciting at first and is like being at a West End musical that has been influenced by a freaky carnival but then it gets incredibly samey and boring.

The new Nightiwsh is. . .very patchy.

Its just a massive attempt at a film soundtrack with a single thrown in. Its exciting at first and is like being at a West End musical that has been influenced by a freaky carnival but then it gets incredibly samey and boring.

It is a film soundtrack :p

ShaneB

Awakening the World is such a damn good album. It's always my go-to album in the car if I don't want to peruse my iPod for something since the CD is always in.

As for uplifting metal, I guess lots of prog/power metal would be great suggestions, or some traditional heavy metal.

White Whizzard - Over the Top
Holy Grail - Call of Valhalla

Tis the season as well for some TSO TSO - Wizards in Winter

And not exactly metal, but if you don't smile while listening to this, you're cold hearted.
Anamanaguchi - Another Winter
Also, listen to some Queen :)

Awakening the World appreciation always makes me smile! Well played, good sir!

Another uplifting band of a similar style would be Hibria. The album Defying the Rules will do the deed very nicely.

Also, just gave Imaginaerum a full listen earlier, I was VERY impressed. Lots of great songs, lots of variety, and some ridiculously awesome melodies.

ShaneB

Awakening the World appreciation always makes me smile! Well played, good sir!

Another uplifting band of a similar style would be Hibria. The album Defying the Rules will do the deed very nicely.

Also, just gave Imaginaerum a full listen earlier, I was VERY impressed. Lots of great songs, lots of variety, and some ridiculously awesome melodies.

A Flame to the Ground Beneath has its moments, but it just feels too epic and it just doesn't have the same oomph as AtW. Some great tracks, but it's nowhere near as consistently awesome as AtW.

Nigel Gotrich's Top 25 metal albums at NPR.

Sorry, kids. Still no Mastodon.

Now I have to add even more bands to my to listen list. Cormorant (didnt know that bird was called like that in English) sounds interesting.
Is it me, or are all bands on that list from English speaking countries?

Just listened to Woods of Desolation. I'm think I'm getting a bit tired of atmospheric BM + shoegaze :(

I've barely heard of any of these bands. I'm not sure if that reflects my metal tastes or his.

It doesn't reflect on either. Either you haven't been exposed to them or your personal taste doesn't mesh with their style.

The good taste/bad taste thing is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

If anyone likes Running Wild I must suggest to you these guys, who sound like them reincarnated in France:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLkTZWZTHQM

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Nigel Gotrich's Top 25 metal albums at NPR.

Sorry, kids. Still no Mastodon.
I don't get the Trap Them love (I've seen the album on some other lists as well). I liked their first two albums well enough, but the latest one has so many riffs lifted from Converge that it's shameless.

I don't get the Trap Them love (I've seen the album on some other lists as well). I liked their first two albums well enough, but the latest one has so many riffs lifted from Converge that it's shameless.
Check out All Pigs Must Die's God Is War if you want some pissed off metallic hardcore. It didn't make it to any Top xx lists but it did get an honorable mention in the pitchfork list.
The Blessed Void
Extinction Is Ours

ShaneB

Two amazing technical death metal CDs to check out (I don't recall already posting about them, and google search didn't turn up anything):

First Fragment - The Afterthought Ecstasy
Beyond Creation - The Aura

I may or may not have posted about Beyond Creation before. That album is definitely awesome, some incredible work on there. Plus they're Canadian, so that's a bonus.

It doesn't reflect on either. Either you haven't been exposed to them or your personal taste doesn't mesh with their style.

If anyone likes Running Wild I must suggest to you these guys, who sound like them reincarnated in France:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLkTZWZTHQM

Yeah, I went through a few of the bands, it's generally a personal taste issue as with anything music related, but it just made me wonder if I've missed some great stuff this year. But ah well. That Lonewolf track is pretty damn cool.

fallout

As someone who doesn't listen to enough metal, I find that these lists help me discover bands and albums that I probably wouldn't have been aware of, otherwise. To that end, it's a disappointment to me when I see lists that mesh with my own tastes.

As someone who doesn't listen to enough metal, I find that these lists help me discover bands and albums that I probably wouldn't have been aware of, otherwise. To that end, it's a disappointment to me when I see lists that mesh with my own tastes.

Oh no doubt, you can pull some good stuff from lists that can expand your horizons. I was moreso just complaining about a pet peeve of mine when it probably wasn't applicable.

Speaking of best of lists, I was worried about this year a bit when it started, but I definitely found some gems this year. Moonsorrow and Dalriada appear to be battling it out at the top for me right now... that could change.

Ronabo

I've fallen in love with the band Ghost Brigade. I'd probably never would've heard of them if it wasn't for one of their songs (Into the Blacklight) being on the Rock Band Network for the Rock Band game.

I've like to know of more bands that have that sound. As much as I love Into the Blacklight I also love their heavier sounding songs too.

Can anyone recommend similar bands?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Man Of Kin who are touring with devil driver next year, i met there lead singer in orpington the other other day, he works with battersea dogs and cats charity, was a cool guy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom