• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaspode_T

Opeth's Heritage is like Opeth and Jethro Tull had a baby, a beautiful beautiful baby. This CD's musical quality is beyond the comprehension of the common masses.

Gaspode_T

Would anyone want me to post review scores from Burrrn! the classic Japanese metal magazine equivalent of Famitsu? I collect the classic editions of these, it's fascinating to see them talk about and review all the bands I grew up with as they were coming out.

2175011201.jpg

They seem to really like the new Royal Hunt CD...

Would anyone want me to post review scores from Burrrn! the classic Japanese metal magazine equivalent of Famitsu? I collect the classic editions of these, it's fascinating to see them talk about and review all the bands I grew up with as they were coming out.

Dude, send them this way! Sounds fun to me.

2175011201.jpg

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we may have an album of the year contender here, folks:

The Devil's Blood - The Thousandfold Epicentre

TheDevilsBlood_ThousandFold.jpg

Pinned as an "Occult Rock album", The Thousandfold Epicentre is what happens when you mix Jefferson Airplane with Witchcraft and Saint Vitus.

yeah... you heard me. Enchanting female vocals mixed with Doom and 70s psychedelia. I received the ultra-deluxe limited vinyl release in the mail this morning and having just listened to it I'm blown away. Terrorizer were right to give it album of the month.

Check 'em out.

I love it, it's my album of the year. I'm relatively new to tDB, starting listening to them about a year ago. Have you heard the previous material? If you haven't, I really recommend The Time Of No Time Evermore and Come Reap, and the I'll Be Your Ghost single for the live version of Voodoo Dust
http://youtu.be/Xjd_ZMA5gYQ

Leunam

So while I was in the middle of listening to the suggestions posted for me earlier, I was reminded about this album:

Xk5r0l.jpg

Never heard of Cormorant before that NPR review was posted in here, and I'm glad it was. Really enjoying it so far. I think it just came out or something because I remember looking for it a few days ago and I couldn't find it online. Bought it today off of Amazon.

Gaspode_T

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have three sections - Cross Review, New Albums and Import Albums...New Albums has mix of foreign and Japanese CDs, Import Albums are mix of European and US releases.

Scoring...I don't know, I have seen them give 70-75 to CDs I really love, and now they are giving 92 to a Nickelback CD, so take with grain of salt (Famitsu level grain of salt almost)...might be a decent way to find out about nearly unknown bands though from a US metal perspective.

Cross Review:

Royal Hunt - Show Me How to Live - 84/88/94/92

Other Reviews:

Ancient Bards - Soulless Child - 88
Anthem - Heraldic Divice - 88
Black Tusk - Set the Dial - 79
Die Apocalyptischen Reiter - The Greatest of the Best - 84
Dragon Guardian - Valkyrius Spirit Sword?? ("RPG Metal" genre) - 81
Dragonland - Under the Gray Banner - 86
Fastkill - Bestial Thrashing Bulldozer - 79
Iron Savior - The Landing - 83
Korn - The Path of Totality - 78
Lance King - A Moment in Chiros - 87
Last Autumn's Dreams - Nine Lives - 86
Lechery - In Fire - 80
Lightning - Justice Strike - 76
The Magnificent - The Magnificent - 91
Mortal Sin - Psychology of Death - 72
Myrath - Tales of the Sands - 84
Mystic Prophecy - Ravenlord - 82
Nickelback - There and Now - 92
Niobeth - Silvery Moonbeams - 63
Praying Mantis - Metalmorphosis - 85
Rampant - Greedy Monster Wants All - 80
Rush - Time Machine 2011: Live in Cleveland - 83
Sick of it All - Nonstop - 77
Stephan Forte - The Shadow Compendium - 83
Threat Signal - Threat Signal - 83
To/Die/For - Samsara - 86
Van Canto - Metal A Capella - 78
Yes - In the Present Live from Lyon - 80

Import:

Across the Sun - Before the Night Takes Us - 83
A Life Divided - Passenger - 66
Assaulter - Boundless - 68
Benighted - Asylum Cave - 80
Bonfire - Branded - 83
Brian Robertson - Diamonds and Dirt - 81
Bucket and Co - Guitars, Beers and Tears - 80
Darkest Era - The Last Caress of Light - 81
Demon's Eye - The Stranger Within - 80
Driving Dead Girl - Don't Give a Damn About Bad Reputation - 77
Elevener - Symmetry in Motion - 87
Fireforce - March On - 62
Halestorm - Live in Philly 2010 - 90
Hour of 13 - The Ritualist - 83
Magnum - The Visitation - 82
Malison Rogue - Malison Rogue - 82
Omnium Gatherum - New World Shadows - 85
Robin Beck - The Great Escape - 85

Saw Hell and Sabaton at their special show in London today. Audience chose the setlist! Was utterly amazing, Sabaton are a fantastic band and Joakim is an amazing frontman who comes off as a great guy.

But bloody hell, David Bower from Hell is a performer. This man needs to be seen. He puts on this brilliant drama and he just owns the stage. Also FANTASTIC.

XShagrath

I saw Sabaton open for Accept back in May of this year, and thought they put on one of the best performances I've seen in years! Joakim really is a great frontman, and the whole band was very energetic. Can't wait to see them on their first US headlining tour. I'll be at their first show in Tampa.

Gaspode_T

Sounds like how I felt when I saw Accept, they totally exceeded my expectations.

New Megadeth CD is not as thrashy as I like but you have to admit Mustaine's song writing (lyrics) put most others to shame...

I heard most of Chimaira left the band but I am seeing live performances on YouTube, wonder what's up with that band. I don't know why but I like to root for them and sort of middle tier bands...God Forbid is another band I love that no one else seems to dig as much

I saw Sabaton open for Accept back in May of this year, and thought they put on one of the best performances I've seen in years! Joakim really is a great frontman, and the whole band was very energetic. Can't wait to see them on their first US headlining tour. I'll be at their first show in Tampa.

Sounds like how I felt when I saw Accept, they totally exceeded my expectations.

New Megadeth CD is not as thrashy as I like but you have to admit Mustaine's song writing (lyrics) put most others to shame...

A few comments!

I would like to see Sabaton live on their upcoming tour, and you just managed to hype me up! Any word on opening acts?

Accept are another band I'd love to see live, especially now with Mark Tornillo on vocals. I actually prefer his voice to Udo's. Yeah, I know... heresy and all that.

And the new Megadeth is good, not great to these ears. Definitely a fun listen, but Endgame stomps it to pieces.

Also, I saw Korpiklaani and Arkona last night in Reading, PA. I'm sore all over, and I'm pretty sure I got punched in the face in the most fun pit ever, but it was soooo worth it. What a fucking fantastic show.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I love it, it's my album of the year. I'm relatively new to tDB, starting listening to them about a year ago. Have you heard the previous material? If you haven't, I really recommend The Time Of No Time Evermore and Come Reap, and the I'll Be Your Ghost single for the live version of Voodoo Dust
http://youtu.be/Xjd_ZMA5gYQ

I just discovered the band about two weeks ago. I might check out their previous album.

2175011201.jpg

I used to read Burrrn! religiously. Japan's "Music Life" used to be one of the better metal mags then they made Burrrn! as an offshoot. The glossy print and killer photos easily made Burrn! the best quality metal mag ever to walk this planet. (sorry, Kerrang! was pretty horrible).

Gaspode_T

Young Guitar and Young Player are pretty good too these days, it's interesting to see the Japanese cover metal scene with a pretty balanced mix of 50% old school and 50% new school. I have some scans from really old Burrrns up on my FB I will try to find a way to post them publically.

Accept was awesome at Loud Park 2010:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPSwHR9LtAQ (you can barely see...but lots of people were into them)

By the way I noticed this vid in the Related Video sections, the talk of the show between male metal fans of Loud Park 2010 was like this: "Duuuuude, you have to get a Tuna Rice Bowl, just trust me on this one bro" - "What? Why? I don't even like tu..." - "No dude! Just trust me! Go get one! you will thank me later" I swear to god I heard this conversation happen many times

Observe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH2fDj8UJEI

Concept albums.

What are peoples favourites?

I'd have to go for:

Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth
Ayreon - The Human Equation (I fucking LOVE this album).

Concept albums.

I'd have to go for:

I'll add these two:

Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls
Anubis Gate - Andromeda Unchained

Doomshine

King Diamond - Abigail
Manticora - 8 Deadly Sins
Virgin Steele - The House of Atreus: Act I
Ahab - The Call of the Wretched Sea
Edge of Sanity - Crimson II

My favorite concept albums:

Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
Moonsorrow - Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa
Opeth - Still Life
King Diamond - Them
WASP - The Crimson Idol

All of Rhapsody albums are concept albums, so the good ones (first 4, last 2) are great.

Damn it, I know I'm missing a ton. :/

Edit: Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory

It's tough because metal albums are generally conceptual and thematic in some fashion, which is one of the main reasons why I love the genre - it sticks to the concept of an album as an art-form.

Young Guitar and Young Player are pretty good too these days, it's interesting to see the Japanese cover metal scene with a pretty balanced mix of 50% old school and 50% new school. I have some scans from really old Burrrns up on my FB I will try to find a way to post them publically.

Oh man, Young Guitar was the shit - I was stoked every time a new issue came out. They basically revolutionized the idea of highly detailed guitar tabs.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Concept albums.

I'd have to go for:

There can be only one:

Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness

GreenCarnationLightOfDayDayOfDarkness.jpg

If you haven't heard this album then go listen to it now! This is Tchort's magnum opus.

Wait so is a concept album an album about another piece of art, like a book or movie or something? Or an album that tells a story as a whole?

It can be based on a work of art, like Blind Guardian's 'Nightfall in Middle Earth' which is based upon J.R.R Tolkien's 'The Silmarillion' or it could be an album with a story to tell throughout. Iron Maiden's 'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son' is an example of that. My favourite original story concept album is by Ayreon and is called 'The Human Equation'.

Basically it is an album with a narrative that runs throughout its duration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom