• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneB

Christmas gift from Blind Guardian - Bard song orchestral version (preview from compilation album Memories of a Time to Come)

First I've heard of this compilation, and it's cool to hear stuff is being remixed and re-recorded for it. Very cool.

And I was starting to wonder when we'd start to mention Christmas stuff, we're not heartless metal heads!

This has been my playlist mostly...

61vdgdlCTAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The Merry Axemas albums are pretty cool too, but this Gary Hoey album is just fantastic.

http://youtu.be/5QqmpLzZ5_A

ShaneB

For my albums of the year, I generally just limit to 2. An album I knew about and was expecting, and a newcomer album of the year. Basically an album I had no idea about until I went on a music search and found some new stuff.

This is very high on that list... I've actually had it around for a while, just listened to it sparingly, but lately it's getting so much playtime.

MEGAHERA__Ita____4ec00650b4f5a.jpg

Megahera - Welcome Back (Heavy Metal)

Just balls to the wall speed/trash metal that harkens back to the early 80's brand of in your face metal, it's aggressive, but still has that fun as hell feeling.

A new Cathedral mini EP:

cc4e72f52b.jpg

Only on vinyl, featuring two cool songs: "Open Mind Surgery" and "Sabbadaius Sabbatum" What can you say, it's the Cathedral we know...Very heavy, dark but somehow still uplifting :D
I loved their last album, The Guessing Game..I think it's one of their best...I'm glad they are recording a last one (the last spire) next year before they split.

edit: Might as well post a new interview with some australian site:
On what the next CD will sound like:

Dorrian: "Musically, I would say 'The Guessing Game' was more of a summarisation of everything we had done. 'The Last Spire' is more like our final stamp, really. I think it'll be a lot heavier and more doom-influenced than anything else we've done in recent years. But there will also be keyboards, and hopefully it'll be a really progressive doom record. I don't want to give away too much, but it'll probably be a little heavier. We'll be much more hands-on with the production. This is our last one, so we want to go out with a bang and pretty much do it ourselves because we can.
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=167690&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blabbermouth+%28Blabbermouth.net%27s+Daily+Headlines%29

Dystopia has to be my AOTY. I know I'm probably alone in thinking this, but it's Iced fucking Earth!

Dystopia isn't my fave album of the year, but I would definitely make it my relief of the year. I'm so glad IE have decided to release a good, solid abum with some genuinely exciting songs on it. I've been a fan since their most successful period (SWTWC and AiA), and it's been really shitty watching them slowly dive into mediocreville. This album is easily their best since Horror Show, and It's definitely making my top 10 this year just because of that alone.

That, and as you said, It's Iced FUCKING Earth.

ShaneB

Dystopia isn't my fave album of the year, but I would definitely make it my relief of the year. I'm so glad IE have decided to release a good, solid abum with some genuinely exciting songs on it. I've been a fan since their most successful period (SWTWC and AiA), and it's been really shitty watching them slowly dive into mediocreville. This album is easily their best since Horror Show, and It's definitely making my top 10 this year just because of that alone.

That, and as you said, It's Iced FUCKING Earth.

This pretty much sums up why I gave Dystopia my album of the year. I was fearing the worst, and was all ready to listen to it once and be done with it, but it really is a fantastic album. It's not perfect, and I do think there are better albums this year, but just that feeling of how little I was expecting and how it surpassed those expectations is what made me appreciate it so much.

Special recoginition will be going to Jag Panzer as well, an album I waited so long for, only to see the band break up shortly after :( A shame.

lopaz

Banned
Dystopia has to be my AOTY. I know I'm probably alone in thinking this, but it's Iced fucking Earth!

Naw, I'll second you on that! well... toss up between that and white wizzard's flying tigers, only white wizzard bailed on the show I bought tickets for so fuck em :D

ShaneB

Naw, I'll second you on that! well... toss up between that and white wizzard's flying tigers, only white wizzard bailed on the show I bought tickets for so fuck em :D

Really? Flying Tigers was a big let down after how awesome Over the Top is :( It has some great tracks in the first half of the album, but the second half falls apart.

Special recoginition will be going to Jag Panzer as well, an album I waited so long for, only to see the band break up shortly after :( A shame.

Fucking YES. What a great album, especially Setting of the Sun, which may be my favorite song they have ever done. That song gives me goosebumps.

big_22558207_0_400-224.jpg

Remember the old 1980s Keeper of the Seven Keys albums by Helloween with Michael Kiske and Kai Hansen?

They were a god damn great duo, wouldn't it be great if they joined together again and made some more metal other than appearances in certain Gamma Ray and solo album songs?

Presenting Unisonic, pretty much 80s Helloween with Pink Cream 69 and Mandy Meyer from Gotthard instead.

Band Lineup:

Kai Hansen (Gamma Ray, ex Helloween)
Michael Kiske (ex Helloween)
Mandy Meyer (ex Gotthard, ex Krokus)
Dennis Ward (Pink Cream 69)
Kosta Zafiriou (Pink Cream 69)

Current songs:
Unisonic
Souls Alive (2010 track before Kai Hansen joined)
I Want Out (Live in Japan 2011)

Video:
Future World (Live in Japan October 15th 2011) (pretty good quality for a recording by a fan, actually)

Releases: Ignition EP in Late January and the album in March!

lopaz

Banned
Really? Flying Tigers was a big let down after how awesome Over the Top is :( It has some great tracks in the first half of the album, but the second half falls apart.

Can't agree. I thought the first two songs were better than any indidual song on OTT (save maybe the title track?), and I think the latter half is great! Maybe some songs drag a bit with repeating riffs, but that's nothing Iced Earth aren't guilty of too :)

I'm going to have to have a better look into this. As any Power Metal fan should, I love Kai and Michael and what they have produced in the past (and recently in Kai's case). I was worried at first because Michael's stuff as of the last decade or more has been... not what I want from him. : / Well, aside from him guesting on Avantasia's stuff, which he sounds great on.

Now that I know Kai is involved, my interest is definitely rising.

Just spun this for the first time in a long time...

File:POS-PerfectElement.jpg

Musical perfection. For me, metal honestly does not get any more appealing in terms of style, execution and song-writing. Also, I challenge you to find a better voice ANYWHERE.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
A new Cathedral mini EP:

cc4e72f52b.jpg

Only on vinyl, featuring two cool songs: "Open Mind Surgery" and "Sabbadaius Sabbatum" What can you say, it's the Cathedral we know...Very heavy, dark but somehow still uplifting :D
I loved their last album, The Guessing Game..I think it's one of their best...I'm glad they are recording a last one (the last spire) next year before they split.

edit: Might as well post a new interview with some australian site:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=167690&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blabbermouth+%28Blabbermouth.net%27s+Daily+Headlines%29

Awesome, thanks for posting this. Just ordered the record along with the LP version of Electric Wizard's Witchcult Today from Rise Above Records.

I just discovered Iron Savior, their pretty cool!

Yes, yes they are!

Just spun this for the first time in a long time...

File:POS-PerfectElement.jpg

Musical perfection. For me, metal honestly does not get any more appealing in terms of style, execution and song-writing. Also, I challenge you to find a better voice ANYWHERE.

It's a bit out there to be one of my favorite albums ever, but I can not deny that Gildenlow sounds fucking out of this world on this album.

Yes, yes they are!

It's a bit out there to be one of my favorite albums ever, but I can not deny that Gildenlow sounds fucking out of this world on this album.

Ha. Man, I hope you haven't heard their new stuff. In terms of being "out there", it makes The Perfect Element sound like Manowar. De. Plorable. PoS and In Flames: probably the two most disappointing falls from grace, personally.

Gaspode_T

big_22558207_0_400-224.jpg

Remember the old 1980s Keeper of the Seven Keys albums by Helloween with Michael Kiske and Kai Hansen?

They were a god damn great duo, wouldn't it be great if they joined together again and made some more metal other than appearances in certain Gamma Ray and solo album songs?

Presenting Unisonic, pretty much 80s Helloween with Pink Cream 69 and Mandy Meyer from Gotthard instead.

Band Lineup:

Kai Hansen (Gamma Ray, ex Helloween)
Michael Kiske (ex Helloween)
Mandy Meyer (ex Gotthard, ex Krokus)
Dennis Ward (Pink Cream 69)
Kosta Zafiriou (Pink Cream 69)

Current songs:
Unisonic
Souls Alive (2010 track before Kai Hansen joined)
I Want Out (Live in Japan 2011)

Video:
Future World (Live in Japan October 15th 2011) (pretty good quality for a recording by a fan, actually)

Releases: Ignition EP in Late January and the album in March!

I was at the Loud Park show, people were crying when he was singing I Want Out...he was always super popular in Japan (Helloween still are too)...incredible voice, it gave me shivers, you have to get in the right mood for power metal but it can be pretty fun to listen to

ShaneB

Gonna have to check out the rest of the album!

Forgot to respond to this, but please do! It's fantastic!!

Fucking YES. What a great album, especially Setting of the Sun, which may be my favorite song they have ever done. That song gives me goosebumps.

I dig the song, but feels odd giving it that much praise compared to the rest of their work. It's certainly not my favourite track on the album. Just sad they've broken up is all.

And it feels weird to leave Symphony X out of the AOTY chatter, just because it's so damn good as well.

Can't agree. I thought the first two songs were better than any indidual song on OTT (save maybe the title track?), and I think the latter half is great! Maybe some songs drag a bit with repeating riffs, but that's nothing Iced Earth aren't guilty of too :)

Agree to disagree I guess. Over the Top just feels like a classic NWOBHM for the current age, and is pretty much flawless. Flying Tigers while starting strong, just turns into a progressive mess that lacks so much direction. Ah well, they are having a hell of a time keeping a line up together, so I worry about the future of the band.

Doomshine

I'm having trouble deciding between these for my AOTY:

Týr - The Lay of Thrym
Omnium Gatherum - New World Shadows
Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy
Stratovarius - Elysium
Insomnium - One for Sorrow

I liked Dystopia, but it was more because it was surprisingly good and I don't think it's the best album of the year. I guess best surprise of the year?

Most disappointing album is between the latest Falkenbach and Almah.

I'm having trouble deciding between these for my AOTY:

Týr - The Lay of Thrym
Omnium Gatherum - New World Shadows
Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy
Stratovarius - Elysium
Insomnium - One for Sorrow

I liked Dystopia, but it was more because it was surprisingly good and I don't think it's the best album of the year. I guess best surprise of the year?

Most disappointing album is between the latest Falkenbach and Almah.

Love these two in particular, with Elysium being a personal favorite.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
There is nothing better than being drunk as a brick and listening to old Rhapsody (in Fire) albums. Magnificent stuff.

FOR THE KING FOR THE LAND FOR THE MOUNTAINS
FOR THE GREEN VALLEYS WHERE DRAGONS FLY

There is nothing better than being drunk as a brick and listening to old Rhapsody (in Fire) albums. Magnificent stuff.

FOR THE KING FOR THE LAND FOR THE MOUNTAINS
FOR THE GREEN VALLEYS WHERE DRAGONS FLY

FOR THE GLORY, THE POWER, TO WIN THE BLACK LORD
I WILL SEARCH FOR THE EMERALD SWOOOOOOOOOOOOORD

I think a dragon just flew past my window as I typed that out.

Seriously though, I don't think I have a better time in the world than when I get drunk and sing anthemic power metal with friends.

rObit

Banned
Amazon's 5$ Metal Albums

Highlights:

Dio - Holy Diver
40 Watt Sun - The Inside Room EP
Kylesa - Static Tensions
Hull - Beyond the Lightless Sky
Trash Talk - Eyes and Nines

Any other suggestions?

Oh awesome.

The sale seems to go beyond that list. (I'm not sure if that's normal or not.) Just doing a quick check, all of Insomnium's albums are on sale as well, so that's my recommendation.

Doomshine

After listening some more I am down to two albums for AOTY: Stratovarius - Elysium and Omnium Gatherum - New World Shadows.

...and I think OG takes it. Elysium is a really solid album with really no bad tracks, but the highs are just higher on New World Shadows and I keep coming back to it the most.

The first three tracks (Everfields, Ego and New World Shadows) are so fucking good they almost overshadow the rest of the album, but like Elysium I don't think there are any bad tracks.

Flynn

Google Music has some metal on sale -- 4.99 for some seriously good, new music.

List here.

Great way to grab the latest Earth, Tombs, Trap Them, Blut Aus Nord, etc. etc.

fallout

Google Music has some metal on sale -- 4.99 for some seriously good, new music.

List here.

Great way to grab the latest Earth, Tombs, Trap Them, Blut Aus Nord, etc. etc.
"Not available in your country." ... why do I always click these things. I really need a good alternative for buying digital music in Canada.

jmdajr

Got Iced Earth - Dystopia from amazon mp3 store for 5 bux.

link

Pretty good! Too bad it doesn't include the bonus tracks :(

Also got Steel Panthers - Balls Out for the same price.
my wife wasn't amused at all!

link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom