• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone here been keeping up on Sam Dunn's Metal Evolution show? The most recent episode was on Thrash, and it was excellent. Even when Lars Ulprick was talking I was learning shit. It's incredibly fascinating to see just how all the dots connect in our favorite genre. The episode before last was on Glam Metal, a subgenre I'm sure most of us here hate, but even that was incredibly engaging all the way through because it painted a picture of the musical climate and how that gave rise to some of the other metal styles. It was also cool seeing some of the glam rockers admit that a lot of their music was manufactured solely at the discretion of the labels in order to sell, and how the market became so over-saturated with the same type of music because of that that the glam movement died out a lot faster than other musical movements.

Sam Dunn is fucking awesome and is doing a huge service to metal fans with his dedication to examining the music through a sociological lens. The next episode is going to be on grunge metal which should be great, but I must say that episode I'm most looking forward to is the one on power metal because I want to see him talk about my favorite band (Blind Guardian), dammit.

Speaking of Blind Guardian, I cannot wait to hear the full orchestral version of The Bard's Song. I've made it very clear to two very important people in my life that The Bard's Song is to be played at my funeral, so I'm psyched that I will now have this glorious version to send my soul off to Valhalla with.

Speaking of Blind Guardian, I cannot wait to hear the full orchestral version of The Bard's Song. I've made it very clear to two very important people in my life that The Bard's Song is to be played at my funeral, so I'm psyched that I will now have this glorious version to send my soul off to Valhalla with.

Pretty sure I'm going to steal that idea. Orchestral version is fucking awesome.
Somewhere, I read a theory that The Bard's Song is about someone who is dead or dying, so that makes it even more fitting.

Fusebox

Banned
Has anyone here been keeping up on Sam Dunn's Metal Evolution show?

Hadn't heard of it until now, thanks for the heads-up. And I grew up with glam as well as thrash so I've still got a soft-spot for Poison, Motley Crue, WASP etc, really looking forward to seeing that episode.

Has anyone here been keeping up on Sam Dunn's Metal Evolution show? The most recent episode was on Thrash, and it was excellent. Even when Lars Ulprick was talking I was learning shit. It's incredibly fascinating to see just how all the dots connect in our favorite genre. The episode before last was on Glam Metal, a subgenre I'm sure most of us here hate, but even that was incredibly engaging all the way through because it painted a picture of the musical climate and how that gave rise to some of the other metal styles. It was also cool seeing some of the glam rockers admit that a lot of their music was manufactured solely at the discretion of the labels in order to sell, and how the market became so over-saturated with the same type of music because of that that the glam movement died out a lot faster than other musical movements.

Sam Dunn is fucking awesome and is doing a huge service to metal fans with his dedication to examining the music through a sociological lens. The next episode is going to be on grunge metal which should be great, but I must say that episode I'm most looking forward to is the one on power metal because I want to see him talk about my favorite band (Blind Guardian), dammit.

I've been watching Metal Evolution closely. I enjoy it a lot, as a tv series based on Metal's various subgenres has been a wet dream of mine for a good while. Glad to see it come true. Unsurprisingly, a lot of metal sites I visit absolutely hate it, because the show is largely based off of Dunn's "Metal family tree", which has been ripped to shreds by the underground metal community since Metal: A Headbanger's Journey debuted. Anyone that has the balls to make a line in the sand (correct or otherwise) on a contested issue like metal subgenres is a cool dude in my book, and he largely knows his stuff and is passionate, so I'm a fan.

As far as The Bard's Song being played at your funeral, my wife and I had it played over the PA when we entered our wedding reception. Good times.

I DVR'd the series, and say it was pretty underwhelming. For any fan of the genre, I don't think they will get anything out of this doc series.

I'm not expecting something mindblowingly new. Just always fun to see thrash stuff getting revived and recycled.

also, what happened to Bennet? :(

I dvr'd the Thrash episode. That has been my most anticipated one.
Hell yeah. It was my second most anticipated one (behind Power Metal) and I loved it

Pretty sure I'm going to steal that idea. Orchestral version is fucking awesome.
Somewhere, I read a theory that The Bard's Song is about someone who is dead or dying, so that makes it even more fitting.
I would absolutely LOVE to have The Bard's Song preceded by Spectrelight at my funeral, because the lyrics between the two songs are oh so fitting for the death of a metal fan. But alas, I feel like I'll only do The Bard's Song because I don't think the majority of the attendees would appreciate something so secular and heavy.

Hadn't heard of it until now, thanks for the heads-up. And I grew up with glam as well as thrash so I've still got a soft-spot for Poison, Motley Crue, WASP etc, really looking forward to seeing that episode.
I hadn't heard about it until this thread either! It was an excellent surprise. It's on VH1 Classic and every episode released thus far is also available for purchase on amazon and iTunes.

I DVR'd the series, and say it was pretty underwhelming. For any fan of the genre, I don't think they will get anything out of this doc series.
I couldn't disagree more. Sure, there is a sense with every single episode that a huge quantity of content has been cut, but Dunn does the best he can with 44 minutes. Each episode could easily be made into a several hour documentary which I would love, but I know it will never happen so I'm thankful for what we got. And even though I have close to 100 metal bands in my music library and don't listen to any other genre, I still only got into the music around four years ago. So for someone like me, I'm learning a hell of a lot.

I've been watching Metal Evolution closely. I enjoy it a lot, as a tv series based on Metal's various subgenres has been a wet dream of mine for a good while. Glad to see it come true. Unsurprisingly, a lot of metal sites I visit absolutely hate it, because the show is largely based off of Dunn's "Metal family tree", which has been ripped to shreds by the underground metal community since Metal: A Headbanger's Journey debuted. Anyone that has the balls to make a line in the sand (correct or otherwise) on a contested issue like metal subgenres is a cool dude in my book, and he largely knows his stuff and is passionate, so I'm a fan.

As far as The Bard's Song being played at your funeral, my wife and I had it played over the PA when we entered our wedding reception. Good times.
People hating on the metal tree are losing sight of the forest for the trees. It's impossible to make a metal chart that every single metalhead would agree on in regards to classifications of bands and everything that came before that was an influence. It would also be close to impossible to do a show like metal evolution without any sort of classification system in place, so even though a couple band placements are odd it really doesn't have any adverse impact on the information being provided throughout the series.

And that is fucking awesome that your wife agreed to have The Bard's Song played at your reception. My girlfriend (with whom I've seriously talked about marriage with several times) is incredibly easy going and likes doing things that make me happy. I'm sure I can convince her to have at least a few crushingly heavy songs at our reception.

Relatively newer fan of metal popping in... if I like bands like Trivium and Iced Earth (especially their slower songs like Dracula, Watching Over Me, A Question of Heaven), what bands should I be checking out?

I already love the female symphonic metal bands like Within Temptation, Krypteria, etc.

Orange Goblin - Hot Knives and Open Sores

Listening to Orange Goblin's last album right now. Man, it's really cool! :O I had their first album which was pure and somewhat flat stoner but they have changed quite a bit it seems. Healing Through Fire sounds much more self confident. Thick and heavy stuff that makes you feel like a beer drinking tank while listening to it! I'm actually looking forward to their new album now. :D

Fusebox

Banned
Relatively newer fan of metal popping in... if I like bands like Trivium and Iced Earth (especially their slower songs like Dracula, Watching Over Me, A Question of Heaven), what bands should I be checking out?

I reckon you'd love Amon Amarth and Insomnium for a start.

Ravager61

I already love the female symphonic metal bands like Within Temptation, Krypteria, etc.

Blind Guardian

Gaspode_T

I used two methods with a lot of success:

1) Use Pandora.com (maybe Last.fm and Spotify are good too I don't know)

2) Go to bnrmetal.com, plug in band names from there into YouTube, watch videos. bnrmetal has lists of metal band by genre. Trivium is metalcore, Iced Earth is thrashy a little power metal-ish and little traditional.

i've noticed a lot of metal fans dislike death metal and prog death metal at first but go through some sort of 'evolution' where they start to prefer things with higher beat per minute or crazier and more complicated music, either progressive or death metal fit the bill. You can check out bands like Gojira, Meshuggah, Between the Buried and Me, Cynic, Opeth, these are some of my favorite bands. Straight up death metal...maybe start with Vader, Slayer, Swedish Death Metal like In Flames/Arch Enemy/Carcass/Soilwork and add in some more br00tal stuff later like Behemoth or Cannibal Corpse.

Flynn

I used two methods with a lot of success:

1) Use Pandora.com (maybe Last.fm and Spotify are good too I don't know)

2) Go to bnrmetal.com, plug in band names from there into YouTube, watch videos. bnrmetal has lists of metal band by genre. Trivium is metalcore, Iced Earth is thrashy a little power metal-ish and little traditional.

i've noticed a lot of metal fans dislike death metal and prog death metal at first but go through some sort of 'evolution' where they start to prefer things with higher beat per minute or crazier and more complicated music, either progressive or death metal fit the bill. You can check out bands like Gojira, Meshuggah, Between the Buried and Me, Cynic, Opeth, these are some of my favorite bands. Straight up death metal...maybe start with Vader, Slayer, Swedish Death Metal like In Flames/Arch Enemy/Carcass/Soilwork and add in some more br00tal stuff later like Behemoth or Cannibal Corpse.

Another method that sounds so obvious but totally works -- go look up the band you dig on Wikipedia. Check out their primary genre and the bands cited as examples.

Advanced: Click on band members and check out other associated acts.

Finally got around to watching the Thrash episode of Metal Evolution. meh. You guys were right. I understand they only had an hour to put stuff in or interviews with certain people, but holy shit, totally dismissed anything from Germany. Not enough credit or mention of early Exodus, Overkill, etc.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Controversial opinion: Never cared for Wintersun

Seriously. I bought the S/T shortly after it came out at a local metal record shop (RIP Metal Haven) and didn't get the big deal. On paper, it's something I should have liked: epic power metal/melo-death but it kinda wore out fast and lacked the charm of early Ensiferum.

Also, for being subscribed to Hell's Headbangers Records' newsletter, I feel like an idiot for not checking out Inquisition's new album, Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm, until today:

http://www.hellsheadbangers.com/inq...+...&utm_source=YMLP&utm_term=listenicon2.jpg

Ravager61

Yes, that Inquisition album is awesome. Love it.

Also, when did Metal Haven close? I assume you are talking about the shop in Chicago. I made a special trip there one time and loaded up on a bunch of stuff. Sucks that it closed.

Phobophile

Yes, that Inquisition album is awesome. Love it.

Also, when did Metal Haven close? I assume you are talking about the shop in Chicago. I made a special trip there one time and loaded up on a bunch of stuff. Sucks that it closed.

They moved from the Lakeview location on Belmont & Broadway like 3 years ago (I think) to Ravenswood on Montrose & Damen. Then they just closed down for good last year. Managed to go on a spree one last time before he shut down. The owner said he had a good run and was surprised he lasted as long as he did. He just couldn't compete with online distributors. I'll miss it. I always knew buying online was a good $2-5 cheaper for some CDs but you just don't get the satisfaction of just spending an hour in there rummaging through CDs and finding cool shit you never expected to find or picking up impulse buys or CDs you'd never buy if you saw it online.

Ravager61

They moved from the Lakeview location on Belmont & Broadway like 3 years ago (I think) to Ravenswood on Montrose & Damen. Then they just closed down for good last year. Managed to go on a spree one last time before he shut down. The owner said he had a good run and was surprised he lasted as long as he did. He just couldn't compete with online distributors. I'll miss it. I always knew buying online was a good $2-5 cheaper for some CDs but you just don't get the satisfaction of just spending an hour in there rummaging through CDs and finding cool shit you never expected to find or picking up impulse buys or CDs you'd never buy if you saw it online.

Yeah, the place really was incredible. So much obscure stuff. I'm in the process of moving to Chicago right now and if it was still around, I would have sunk a lot of money there. My desire for obscure black metal vinyls tends to hurt my wallet quite frequently.

I'm hoping to make the move before Feb too because Inquisition is playing a show at Reggie's Rock Club that month and I'd really like to go.

Phobophile

Yeah, the place really was incredible. So much obscure stuff. I'm in the process of moving to Chicago right now and if it was still around, I would have sunk a lot of money there. My desire for obscure black metal vinyls tends to hurt my wallet quite frequently.

I'm hoping to make the move before Feb too because Inquisition is playing a show at Reggie's Rock Club that month and I'd really like to go.

Sweet, I might have to go to that one. I initially didn't notice it because Abigail Williams and Dark Funeral are playing so I immediately skipped over that show once I saw those two names.

It seems every year begins with a temporary Cathedral obession. Best metal there is!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtqktjjTVu8
cathedral.jpg

Uuuuoooaaargh! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LjLTNTgVG0

That's all.

Samples of all the tracks from Blind Guardian's Memories of a Time to Come are up on amazon!

The new recording of And Then There Was Silence is going to be fucking glorious

Is it sad that this is my most anticipated metal release of 2012? I've heard all of these songs hundreds of times yet the thought of remixed and remastered versions has me so incredibly giddy

Spwn

Bought tickets to Arcturus' gig in Helsinki. Exciting to see them live. Really loving their albums from La Masquerade Infernale to Sideshow Symphonies.

Bought tickets to Arcturus' gig in Helsinki. Exciting to see them live. Really loving their albums from La Masquerade Infernale to Sideshow Symphonies.

Had the opportunity to see them at their second last show before the splitup, but skipped it. I still hate myself to this day.

Absu/Portal/Ruins + Toxic Holocaust. This shall be a good weekend of live metal.

Chorazin

Holy fucking shit guys, the new Steelwing album Zone of Alienation is so good. These dudes are amazing and if you like Maiden-style metal you are doing yourself a disservice by not checking this out.

Doomshine

Metal Evolution is pretty good, even if it feels like it's a lot that's already known or that was covered in Headbanger's Journey.

Can't say I'm looking forward to entire episodes about shock rock and nu-metal, but I really want to see the ones about progressive and power metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom