• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metal Evolution is pretty good, even if it feels like it's a lot that's already known or that was covered in Headbanger's Journey.

Can't say I'm looking forward to entire episodes about shock rock and nu-metal, but I really want to see the ones about progressive and power metal.

Watching the grunge episode right now, and some of these interviewees are pretentious as fuck.

Metal Evolution is pretty good, even if it feels like it's a lot that's already known or that was covered in Headbanger's Journey.

Can't say I'm looking forward to entire episodes about shock rock and nu-metal, but I really want to see the ones about progressive and power metal.

I thought Headbanger's Journey was pretty craptacular. The fans and kids were annoying and the need to define Heavy Metal in simple terms was moronic - i.e. Classical Music + Devil + Blues = Metal

I thought Headbanger's Journey was pretty craptacular. The fans and kids were annoying and the need to define Heavy Metal in simple terms was moronic - i.e. Classical Music + Devil + Blues = Metal
The guy who made the film was a total poser.

He seems pretty honest to me. In all honesty anyone trying to do the stuff that he does is gonna get a lot of flack and he has to make his current show accessible enough to sell it to a tv network.

He seems pretty honest to me. In all honesty anyone trying to do the stuff that he does is gonna get a lot of flack and he has to make his current show accessible enough to sell it to a tv network.

Oh for sure (edited the last part after I thought about it). I guess Decline of Western Civ was too confusing for most people.

Flynn

Watching the grunge episode right now, and some of these interviewees are pretentious as fuck.

I really dug that episode because nobody in grunge wants to admit that they may have one foot in metal. And at the same time Dunn spends the entire episode pushing the point and not coming up with many good arguments that they're anything but cousins.

As far as pretension I expect no less from Steve Albini, but I thought Tad and Mark Arm came off okay.

Watched the Nu Metal episode of Metal Evolution last night. That was a rough one to get through, but I still found it more enjoyable than the Grunge episode. Not in terms of the actual music, because Nu Metal is completely awful and the stuff of nightmares, but because of Sam Dunn's clear disdain for the stuff while still making an episode about it.

Watched the Nu Metal episode of Metal Evolution last night. That was a rough one to get through, but I still found it more enjoyable than the Grunge episode. Not in terms of the actual music, because Nu Metal is completely awful and the stuff of nightmares, but because of Sam Dunn's clear disdain for the stuff while still making an episode about it.
Yep. I love how Dunn doesn't pretend that all metal genres are created equal. He expressed his dislike for glam metal too. And it's awesome that he can still present the necessary information in an unbiased way while still essentially saying that the shit isn't actual metal. It was hilarious when he was asking Linkin Park fans why they liked the band. Although I'm not quite sure why they lumped Faith No More into the episode, I'm pretty certain they are widely regarded as alternative metal. Probably the only place they could think to put them in

I am disappointed that there are only three episodes left though. Shock Rock, Power Metal, and Prog Metal. The last two episodes will surely be killer, but it still pisses me off that black and death metal are excluded. Hell they could have just had an "extreme metal" episode and lumped death, black, doom, etc. all together. It would be better than nothing. Also I wanted a folk metal episode, dammit

Speaking of folk, new Eluveitie is killer. I was pretty disappointed in it my first couple of listens, but now after giving it a good five or six spins it has finally clicked with me and it is now one of my favorites of theirs. Definitely warrants a purchase

Also WHAT THE FUCK THE BLIND GUARDIAN BEST OF ALBUM HASN'T LEAKED YET. It comes out tomorrow for fucks sake! Don't people know I need to hear the rerecording of Valhalla as soon as humanly possible? Grumble grumble grumble. At least I have my iTunes gift card at the ready for the second it officially releases

Doomshine

I am disappointed that there are only three episodes left though. Shock Rock, Power Metal, and Prog Metal. The last two episodes will surely be killer
Hopefully the Shock Rock episode has some King Diamond, I think I saw it in the tree.

Going to watch the Nu Metal episode today, sounds like it won't be as awful as I thought.

I am disappointed that there are only three episodes left though. Shock Rock, Power Metal, and Prog Metal. The last two episodes will surely be killer, but it still pisses me off that black and death metal are excluded. Hell they could have just had an "extreme metal" episode and lumped death, black, doom, etc. all together. It would be better than nothing. Also I wanted a folk metal episode, dammit

Speaking of folk, new Eluveitie is killer. I was pretty disappointed in it my first couple of listens, but now after giving it a good five or six spins it has finally clicked with me and it is now one of my favorites of theirs. Definitely warrants a purchase

I forgot where I read it, but apparently getting VH1 Classic to even sign on for Power and Prog was hard enough. While I can't knock the channel for actually being one of the few to feature any sort of Metal (dispite it mainly being traditional stalwarts and hair bands) programming, it's bizarre that they decided to omit extreme metal in it's entirety. Maybe if the show is deemed a success they can have another season. I'm thrilled as fuck about Power Metal getting an episode, though. I expect it to cover the genre very broadly, though. Lots and lots of Dio I would expect. Never a bad thing, but I'd be lying if I expected them to cover Hibria and Lost Horizon.

I want a Folk Metal episode too, btw. Also, definitely gonna look into new Eluveitie. Listened to the new track (Epona something or other), and it was... not amazing. I'll give the album a spin though eventually.

Lets celebrate my new avatar image with this Luca Turilli's masterpiece from his 1st solo album:

The Ancient Forest of Elves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WGzr9s4mGM

I raise a jewel encrusted chalice of steel to this recommendation.

I forgot where I read it, but apparently getting VH1 Classic to even sign on for Power and Prog was hard enough. While I can't knock the channel for actually being one of the few to feature any sort of Metal (dispite it mainly being traditional stalwarts and hair bands) programming, it's bizarre that they decided to omit extreme metal in it's entirety. Maybe if the show is deemed a success they can have another season. I'm thrilled as fuck about Power Metal getting an episode, though. I expect it to cover the genre very broadly, though. Lots and lots of Dio I would expect. Never a bad thing, but I'd be lying if I expected them to cover Hibria and Lost Horizon.

I want a Folk Metal episode too, btw. Also, definitely gonna look into new Eluveitie. Listened to the new track (Epona something or other), and it was... not amazing. I'll give the album a spin though eventually.

Another season would be awesome. I don't understand why the execs would be so hesitant on an extreme metal episode though, because if a metal fan is going to watch the whole season anyway there is a much bigger chance that they are a fan of death metal than nu metal or shock rock.

Rose for Epona is a decent song, but definitely an odd choice for the single. The album is a lot better than that song would lead you to believe

and OH MY GOD VALHALLA TEASER SO GLORIOUS

Flynn

I am also disappointed that there's no black and death metal episodes. Hopefully he gets another season. Or maybe he was thinking that Headbanger's Journey already covered a lot of that ground.

Flynn

Can we also talk about how LAME That Metal Show is. It makes me cringe every time I see the commercial. They had the guy from Buckcherry on for Christ's sake!

CassSept

For those interested, Blind Guardian released a teaser of their compilation album - Valhalla 2011 re-recording. They even got Kai Hansen back for it!

Guitars are good, so is Hansi. There is something off with drums but I can't put my finger on it. And Kai's voice is faaar from what it was 20 years ago. Makes Hansi's presentation that more impressive. But overall, I like it quite much, can't wait for the whole album.

Edit: bah, beaten

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Iron Reagan - 2012 demo for free (or whatever you wanna pay). Fun, short thrash by guys from Municipal Waste and ex-Darkest Hour.

Can we also talk about how LAME That Metal Show is. It makes me cringe every time I see the commercial. They had the guy from Buckcherry on for Christ's sake!

Yeah it's pretty fucking awful, although I don't mind Eddie Trunk all that much as he's a big Dio and 70's metal fan. I'd say the 3 hosts pretty much fit the bill for who watches that show and channel, which are 40-somthing fans of hair metal, hard rock, and the popular traditional metal of the day. They ballwash all the bands you would expect them to and completely ignore the underground stuff. Eddie has said on air that he both dislikes death metal and that VH1 doesn't think talking about the more obscure stuff will bring in viewers.

The best thing I ever saw on that show was one of the co-hosts wearing a Manowar Battle Hymns shirt. Also, I think they mentioned Iced Earth once in passing. And fuck that Buckcherry guy and his silly hair.

The new Blind Guardian recordings are amazing, as expected. The Bard's Song is beautiful, Valhalla is infinitely better than the original studio version, and Silence is pure eargasm start to finish. A lot of the other songs pop in ways they never have before. Color me one happy camper

ShaneB

The new Blind Guardian recordings are amazing, as expected. The Bard's Song is beautiful, Valhalla is infinitely better than the original studio version, and Silence is pure eargasm start to finish. A lot of the other songs pop in ways they never have before. Color me one happy camper

Can't wait to check it out, I had no idea it was going to be out so soon. Or at least I'm glad I had no idea about it really.

I'll also have to marathon the 'Metal Evolution' stuff one of these days. I really dig everything Sam Dunn has put out, and it's nice to have these perspectives to check out. Have met Sam a couple times as well, was standing right next to him and rockin out during the 'At The Gates' show here in Toronto a few years ago.

I'm also double sad I doubt I'll get to go to the Iced Earth/Symphony X show here in a couple weeks :(

The new version of And Then There Was Silence is now up on youtube!

When you compare this to the other orchestrated Guardian songs (Sacred Worlds, Wheel of Time, and now The Bard's Song as well), it stands out as the best of the four by a pretty substantial margin for me (and I fucking love Sacred Worlds and WoT). And right beneath ATTWS? The Bard's Song! The Bard's Song is one of my all time favorites, and this is now the definitive version. Beautiful.

EDIT: For TheLastCandle

I hate what they did with drums on these re-recordings...
Really? I think the drums have more of a drive to them on the new recordings. Granted, it still has that classic Blind Guardian infinitely over-produced sound to it, but they are one of the few bands that I enjoy that style from. I understand though that type of sound (and on the drums in particular in some of these) isn't for everyone

Just when I thought Blind Guardian couldn't suck harder...
Blasphemy! I'm not sure how remixing and redoing some of their most classic songs would make someone who already isn't a fan think less of them. They did a hell of a lot more with this release than most bands do with best-of compilations

NGAMER9

So I can't be the only one psyched for this Ghost/Opeth/Mastodon tour? I've seen Opeth and Mastodon both on their respective last tours, so I'll definitely getting tickets to multiple shows for this one. Hopefully Mikael brings back the growls by then.

So I can't be the only one psyched for this Ghost/Opeth/Mastodon tour? I've seen Opeth and Mastodon both on their respective last tours, so I'll definitely getting tickets to multiple shows for this one. Hopefully Mikael brings back the growls by then.

nope, im psyched as well Mastodon + Opeth = awesome and Ghost should be entertaining.

Flynn

I'm going to try nabbing tickets for the 13-date Ghost club tour.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Really? I think the drums have more of a drive to them on the new recordings. Granted, it still has that classic Blind Guardian infinitely over-produced sound to it, but they are one of the few bands that I enjoy that style from. I understand though that type of sound (and on the drums in particular in some of these) isn't for everyone
They just sound dull on ATTWS and The Last Candle. Lost behind guitars and vocals...

I'm also double sad I doubt I'll get to go to the Iced Earth/Symphony X show here in a couple weeks :(

:( I'm going to the show in Philly in 2 weeks or so. It's gonna be pretty damn delicious. Not to rub it in or anything, it's a shame you can't go.

When you compare this to the other orchestrated Guardian songs (Sacred Worlds, Wheel of Time, and now The Bard's Song as well), it stands out as the best of the four by a pretty substantial margin for me (and I fucking love Sacred Worlds and WoT). And right beneath ATTWS? The Bard's Song! The Bard's Song is one of my all time favorites, and this is now the definitive version. Beautiful.

Love what I'm hearing from these. Thanks for the namesake song, btw. The guitars sound fucking great. I doubt that these will overtake the older versions for me really, but they sound really nice to me.

Just when I thought Blind Guardian couldn't suck harder...

Leave the hall. If I have to hold in my thoughts on the bands I don't like in this thread so do you. Well, you don't have to I guess, but everyone else in this thread does a good job of ignoring what they don't like.

I hate what they did with drums on these re-recordings...

I agree that the drums sound low in the mix, I'm hoping it's just a low quality version on youtube that is giving me that impression.

Edit: If you are a fan of melodic metal at all, I suggest you give the new Pharaoh song a listen. The singer is Tim Aymar, formerly of Control Denied, and they play a riffy style of US Power Metal. Really great stuff.
Pharaoh - Castles in the Sky

CassSept

Wow I'm listening through ATTWS right now and it's glorious. Apart from drums which are very off I'm loving this so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom