• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Melbourne is getting awesome shows again this year. Have seen Absu so far, and will be seeing Cathedral and Paradise Lost soon.

My favourite new band at the moment is Horrendous and I am rocking the shit out of the latest Deceased album too. Wow.

Looks like Melbourne is getting awesome shows again this year. Have seen Absu so far, and will be seeing Cathedral and Paradise Lost soon.

My favourite new band at the moment is Horrendous and I am rocking the shit out of the latest Deceased album too. Wow.
Their last show ever. Don't miss it. ;D

Just watched the Power Metal episode of Metal Evolution. Overall it was a fun watch, mainly because watching Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Hammerfall, Ross the Boss, etc talk on screen about the genre's beginnings and influences is really fucking cool. While I found Dunn's claim that the genre's appeal lies mainly from the European festival season kind of bizarre, it's definitely true that it truly shines in a live setting with like minded sing-songy fans. I'm pretty sure my top 5 concert experiences ever are all Power Metal shows due to the awesome comraderie. After sitting through the muck of the last 2 or 3 episodes, it was nice to see some sychronized headbanging and fist pumping.

I really enjoyed them bringing up the use of metal "cliches" as a good thing in power metal, for it is all that is good in life. More muscles, leather, chains, and dragons please. Also, only one comment in the whole episode about it being "girly", melodic, and your girlfriend possibly liking it, which I'll take as a win. Leave the hall, shmuck.

I would have liked a few comments on US Power Metal scene, which was largely ignored aside from Manowar. No Iced Earth, Jag Panzer, Omen, etc. Still, I'll take what I can get.

Just watched the Power Metal episode of Metal Evolution. Overall it was a fun watch, mainly because watching Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Hammerfall, Ross the Boss, etc talk on screen about the genre's beginnings and influences is really fucking cool. While I found Dunn's claim that the genre's appeal lies mainly from the European festival season kind of bizarre, it's definitely true that it truly shines in a live setting with like minded sing-songy fans. I'm pretty sure my top 5 concert experiences ever are all Power Metal shows due to the awesome comraderie. After sitting through the muck of the last 2 or 3 episodes, it was nice to see some sychronized headbanging and fist pumping.

I really enjoyed them bringing up the use of metal "cliches" as a good thing in power metal, for it is all that is good in life. More muscles, leather, chains, and dragons please. Also, only one comment in the whole episode about it being girly and melodic, which I'll take as a win. Leave the hall, shmuck.

I would have liked a few comments on US Power Metal scene, which was largely ignored aside from Manowar. No Iced Earth, Jag Panzer, Omen, etc. Still, I'll take what I can get.
Wait, was the power metal episode the most recent one? During the nu metal episode the preview during the commercials said shock rock was next.

I recently got into Running Wild, and it looks like they are releasing a new album, Shadowmaker: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=168689

:D

Running Wild are so, so, so, so, SOOO GOOD. You won't be displeased by their majestic works.

Make sure you pick up Under Jolly Roger through Black Hand Inn for sure. All of them rule, with Death or Glory and Black Hand Inn being my favorites.

The new album's art however... significantly less impressive than their music over the years.

Edit: For all the fans of Angra out there, singer Edu Falaschi's other band Almah released an album last year that I just got around to listening to. I'm really impressed thus far. I guess it's Prog/Power metal in a similar vein to Angra. It's tasty.

Almah - Trace of Trait

So what 2012 albums are you all anticipating?

My list:

January:
Aborted - Global Flatline (death)

Feb:
Orange Goblin - A Eulogy for the Damned (stoner)
Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction (doom)

March:
Lunar Aurora - Hoagascht (black)
Sigh - In Somniphobia (avant garde/black)

TBA
Absu - Apsu (black/thrash)
Blut aus Nord - 777 - Cosmosophy (black)
Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind
Diablo Swing Orchestra - Pandora's Piñata (symphonic)
Gojira - Sea Shepherd EP
Negură Bunget - Tău (black)
Worm Ouroboros - Come the Thaw (sludge)

So what 2012 albums are you all anticipating?

My list:

Feb:
Orange Goblin - A Eulogy for the Damned (stoner)
This and especially Cathedral - The Last Spire (mid-2012), DOWN's new EP (early this year, they say!) and the new Black Sabbath album!
That's it, so far...But anticipating 4 albums in one year is actually a pretty good number for me. :)

Going to Gigantour tomorrow. Will be my 6th time seeing Megadeth, can't wait.
Gah, I'm so jealous. I had tickets to whatever that crazy tour was with Megadeth, Slayer, and Testament back in 2010. Tickets were $9 and Slayer was playing all of South of Heaven and Megadeth was playing all of Rust. I was unbelievably pumped, but the friend I was going with had just gotten a new job and had to work that night so I didn't end up going :( One of those things I'll always regret, kind of like missing that Iron Maiden/Dream Theater tour a while back

Anyway my man, have an excellent time

Found this band called December Flower.

Sounds like they are picking up where In Flames left off after Whoracle.

Fitting as they seem to have taken their name from what might be the best In Flames song ever. I'll have to check it out when I get home.

Megadeth were great last night, although their setlist was definitely a bit different. 3 songs off the new album in a block preceded by Dawn Patrol. I don't get it, but I still enjoyed them very much. They played Angry Again and Poison Was the Cure, which were both really nice surprises.

Lacuna Coil played nothing old (Boo), I still don't like Volbeat, and Motorhead were fucking awesome. A good show overall.

Sorry to double post, but had to unleash a bump.

Anyone else going to Iced Earth/Symphony X in Philadelphia on the morrow? I'm REALLY looking forward to it, as it's my first time Seeing IE in about 7 years.

Sorry to double post, but had to unleash a bump.

Anyone else going to Iced Earth/Symphony X in Philadelphia on the morrow? I'm REALLY looking forward to it, as it's my first time Seeing IE in about 7 years.

I didn't the realize the NA tour started now, as they're not coming to Mass until March. But after checking the tour date listings, I'm half considering heading down to Hartford tonight for the opener... Hmmm... ...

I've been out of both the GAF and "Metal" loop for a while, though my love for metal still remains. All I remember of the last couple years of Metal is hating Boris' new album(s) that came out a year or two ago...However, there has been one huge upside in the word of metal too...the band FLOOR has reunited and played about 5 reunion shows since early 2010 and it's happening again in a few weeks. All the shows have been in Miami, Gainesville, Orlando or Atlanta

If you don't know FLOOR then you probably you should...early to mid 90's band that could only be described as one of the first, if not the first sludge metal group, and no one has done it better. they broke up in 2002 and are the pre-cursor to the now popular TORCHE. If you're intrigued, check out "Self-Titled" and "Dove", those are the only real full lengths they have, among a bunch of 7"s and stuff. Two years ago a box set with like 10 LPS and a DVD, etc was released by Robotic Empire. But "s/t" and "Dove" are more than enough give you the real deal.

One of those bands that for years was more or less a local band to me (grew up an hour north of miami which is where they were active for almost a decade) and many others until TORCHE grew in popularity and Steve Brook's previous efforts, mainly Floor, started getting the coverage (and reissues) they deserve. Floor is just....Floor. Enjoy

I've been out of both the GAF and "Metal" loop for a while, though my love for metal still remains. All I remember of the last couple years of Metal is hating Boris' new album(s) that came out a year or two ago...However, there has been one huge upside in the word of metal too...the band FLOOR has reunited and played about 5 reunion shows since early 2010 and it's happening again in a few weeks. All the shows have been in Miami, Gainesville, Orlando or Atlanta

If you don't know FLOOR then you probably you should...early to mid 90's band that could only be described as one of the first, if not the first sludge metal group, and no one has done it better. they broke up in 2002 and are the pre-cursor to the now popular TORCHE. If you're intrigued, check out "Self-Titled" and "Dove", those are the only real full lengths they have, among a bunch of 7"s and stuff. Two years ago a box set with like 10 LPS and a DVD, etc was released by Robotic Empire. But "s/t" and "Dove" are more than enough give you the real deal.

One of those bands that for years was more or less a local band to me (grew up an hour north of miami which is where they were active for almost a decade) and many others until TORCHE grew in popularity and Steve Brook's previous efforts, mainly Floor, started getting the coverage (and reissues) they deserve. Floor is just....Floor. Enjoy

yup, Floor is awesome. There's a few Floor/Torche fans in here somewhere.
I got in on the vinyl box set....after months of delays. It's pretty awesome.

LHn1M.jpg

Saw Floor last year or two ago in Oakland, CA.

Gaspode_T

Anybody get the new Lamb of God? Pretty damn solid if you're into LoG. Super juicy groove riffs galore.

Some of my friends are complaining about the mix but I think it's fine...LoG is made for blasting and hearing live. The thing I like about Lamb of God is the same I liked about Pantera - it really has a groove and swing that is almost funky in nature and yet still makes you want to knock over people

Seeing them live in a few weeks here in Tokyo, can't wait...

Leunam

Definitely going to check out more of their music.

I actually saw In Flames here about two weeks ago. Oldest song they played was Swim, but it was still an enjoyable show. Highlight of the night was Peter Iwers giving me an 'Arrested Development' wink.

Also, Jesper is in another band now but I haven't checked them out so I don't even know how they sound.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike

LHn1M.jpg

Never heard of the band but their description sounds intruiging. I'm very tempted by that box set...

Gaspode_T

Listening to new Lacuna Coil...yeah it's pretty much still a little bit pop feel, but I will forgive them for having such a hot lead singer. Covering 'Losing my Religion' is a little strange... if you like Lacuna Coil, it's more Lacuna Coil.

Listening to new Lacuna Coil...yeah it's pretty much still a little bit pop feel, but I will forgive them for having such a hot lead singer. Covering 'Losing my Religion' is a little strange... if you like Lacuna Coil, it's more Lacuna Coil.

I've only heard the single, but that seems about right.

And yeah, Cristina is still hot as all hell.

Enosh

I enjoy it, they will never again do a comalies, but they don't need to, they have already done it, I can always listen to it when I want to

also recently discovered "the unguided"
why did no one tell me good sonic syndicate is still alive just under a different name :p

Gaspode_T

I like that they seem very humble and down to earth in interviews and DVDs ... I think the drummer was being very frank about having a drinking problem and overcoming it in one of the bonus DVD videos. Upsidedown from the new cd is pretty catchy. Never seen them live, I would probably get a Japanese style nosebleed or something

LHn1M.jpg

i remember getting that box when it came so awsome. Also got my Mastodon/Opeth/Ghost ticket for Seattle cant wait.

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
Newbie here!!! but feckin' metalhead to the bone! :p

I love so many bands to just mention a few, all I can say is, my genres are Folk, Power with some epic sounds and pagan inspired and speed and stuff, Death melodic, Thrash, some good old Gothic bands, I like also Hard Rock from late 80's and stuff like that.

:p

Mastodon & Opeth? :O

I'm seeing Mastodon on the 11th, but they've got Dillinger & Red Fang with them.

Also, just got my ticket for Agalloch with Velnias supporting in April, can't wait for that one.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Hoooooooly fuck! Just bought tickets to see Cathedral in Sydney supported by Paradise Lost! Not only that but I'm going to see Mastodon with Gojira AND a friend of my wife is getting us free tickets to see Amon Amarth!

I suppose this is the universe making up for the fact that I just missed out getting tickets to see The Devin Townsend/Meshuggah/Dredg tour. At least I've seen Devin play 4-5 times in the past so I'm not too upset.

This has to be the best year for Metal tours in Australia that I've seen in over 10 years.

Seanspeed

Banned

Nice find. And thats exactly what they sound like. Thanks!

Anybody get the new Lamb of God? Pretty damn solid if you're into LoG. Super juicy groove riffs galore.
I've heard most of it on Youtube and I definitely need to pick it up.

The production does sound a little dated, though.

Also: Going to see Machine Head(and Darkest Hour) on Monday. Cant wait! I've seen them at outside venues, but this will be the first time seeing them in a smaller indoor venue and I cant wait. The Norva always sounds good.

Kaladin

The new Lamb of God is good. The best thing I can say about it is it has a nice groove. It's definitely a January record though and it won't be on anyone's year end list.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BjaV-_BAS8

This is such a classic case of band names being super deceptive:

66crusher. And what do they play? Catchy, proggy, Opeth-y/Enslaved-y metal with some seriously fantastic vocals.

Very, very good album.

EDIT: And seriously, I don't quite get the re-recording of ATTWS. I adore the song/album, but it just seems like a more watered-down rendition; more akin to their live iteration of the song, if you will. Is it just an album of re-recordings? Excuse my ignorance.

Mastodon & Opeth? :O

I'm seeing Mastodon on the 11th, but they've got Dillinger & Red Fang with them.

Also, just got my ticket for Agalloch with Velnias supporting in April, can't wait for that one.
Agalloch puts on a great show, also speaking of Agalloch this was posted on their facebook:

US TOUR NEWS: Agalloch are currently organizing a 30 date tour of the US for Summer '12. Updates will be posted here.

Any Death Angel fans here???

One of my favorite bands, 2010's Relentless Retribution is a stellar album, haters up your butts(it got mixed reviews to say the least).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom