• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad7667

I would love to go see Mastodon, but I can't stand for longer than 30 minutes without being in pain. Anyone ever gone to a concert but had to sit down? Was it enjoyable?

Never been to anything like that so I don't quite know what to expect.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Any Death Angel fans here???

One of my favorite bands, 2010's Relentless Retribution is a stellar album, haters up your butts(it got mixed reviews to say the least).

death angel to me is overrated. The only song I liked and have it on constant replay is Voracious Souls. I haven't listened to their new one due to usual disappointment, but I'll give it a try later on.

I heard the new Lamb of God. Not bad but quite lacking. Some songs feel disjointed and boring. There's some good songs like Insurrection that has me bobbing my head.

Mastodon & Opeth? :O

I'm seeing Mastodon on the 11th, but they've got Dillinger & Red Fang with them.

Also, just got my ticket for Agalloch with Velnias supporting in April, can't wait for that one.

Eh...have you heard the new Opeth album? They'll play nearly all of it at the concert it's a snore-fest. I'm not a fan of the direction they've taken now. Great for them but not great for my music collection.

Gaspode_T

I would love to go see Mastodon, but I can't stand for longer than 30 minutes without being in pain. Anyone ever gone to a concert but had to sit down? Was it enjoyable?

Are you in a wheel chair normally? Or crutches?

At the Down concert in Seattle a dude was there in a chair and people lifted the chair up for him to "crowd surf" like 5 or 6 times, it was awesome

If you just use crutches or can sit at some concert places they have bars where you can sit and watch, balconies etc. Pretty sure the concert venue would go out of their way to find a way for you to enjoy yourself unless it's a tiny club

Gaspode_T

Eh...have you heard the new Opeth album? They'll play nearly all of it at the concert it's a snore-fest. I'm not a fan of the direction they've taken now. Great for them but not great for my music collection.

I hate to put it this way, but I think Opeth "out grew" the level of musical depth of some of their fans, I think you can try to listen to more varities of music, not just death metal, you will come back to Opeth some day and appreciate it more I can promise you.

I mean, do you like progressive music at all? King Crimson? Jethro Tull? If you don't like any of that at all, of course you will find this offensive.

I hate to put it this way, but I think Opeth "out grew" the level of musical depth of some of their fans, I think you can try to listen to more varities of music, not just death metal, you will come back to Opeth some day and appreciate it more I can promise you.

I mean, do you like progressive music at all? King Crimson? Jethro Tull? If you don't like any of that at all, of course you will find this offensive.

I do listen to a wide variety of music including prog.

I just didn't expect a Swedish Folk album to drop. Not to say that it was terrible but they're just a different band to me. At least I still have the old albums!

fallout

I was having back problems a few years ago and couldn't stand for a very long time. I went to concerts all of the time and really enjoyed myself. However, the place I went to has raised seating in the back with an excellent view of the stage. Sure, I'm not down in the pit moshing around ... but I could still watch the band play and there was something fun about watching everything explode into chaos beneath me.

So, I think it would depend on the venue, really. I would suggest checking to see where they're playing and what kind of seating/accessibility options they have.

Hoooooooly fuck were Iced Earth incredible last night.

They closed the show last night, so I guess them and Symphony X are swapping show to show. Warbringer were a servicable opener, although their songs were kind of samey.

Symphony X were good, but their setlist was very Iconoclast heavy, and their sound was shockingly muddy. I shouldn't have to listen for Michael Romeo's guitar when he is soloing when I'm seeing this band.

Iced Earth, however, had crystal clear sound and pummeled the shit out of my face for an hour and a half. So. Fucking. Good.

DanaInPurple

Neo Member

They closed the show last night, so I guess them and Symphony X are swapping show to show.

That sounds amazeballs, I am really looking forward to see those two, they are coming to my country in some months, plus some more interesting ppl.

Iced Earth on March 19th
Opeth on March 24th
Amon Amarth (fecking love these dudes) on April 8th
Unisonic + Gotthard on May 20th
Diablo Swing Orchestra on June 1st
Symphony X + Kamelot on September the 8th

So yeah, very interesting ppl coming over :D Hopefully I will be able to see most of them ^^

In other news, I am loving so much the latest Septicflesh album "The Great Mass", is sooooooooooo wicked! and the orchestral bonus is pure gold. Definitely recomend it!

I do enjoy Heritage, but I will admit to wishing at times that they still sounded like Still Life-circa Opeth - still, even if the majority of the set consisted of Heritage songs, I wouldn't be too perturbed and would prefer that to Dillinger (who I will be watching from the bar) and Red Fang (who I haven't yet heard enough of to judge).

Kaladin

I do enjoy Heritage, but I will admit to wishing at times that they still sounded like Still Life-circa Opeth - still, even if the majority of the set consisted of Heritage songs, I wouldn't be too perturbed and would prefer that to Dillinger (who I will be watching from the bar) and Red Fang (who I haven't yet heard enough of to judge).

Red Fang is good stoner rock if your into that. Their album last year was in my top 20.

http://redfang.bandcamp.com/

ShaneB

They closed the show last night, so I guess them and Symphony X are swapping show to show. Warbringer were a servicable opener, although their songs were kind of samey.

Symphony X were good, but their setlist was very Iconoclast heavy, and their sound was shockingly muddy. I shouldn't have to listen for Michael Romeo's guitar when he is soloing when I'm seeing this band.

Iced Earth, however, had crystal clear sound and pummeled the shit out of my face for an hour and a half. So. Fucking. Good.

:(

Hoooooooly fuck! Just bought tickets to see Cathedral in Sydney supported by Paradise Lost! Not only that but I'm going to see Mastodon with Gojira AND a friend of my wife is getting us free tickets to see Amon Amarth!

I suppose this is the universe making up for the fact that I just missed out getting tickets to see The Devin Townsend/Meshuggah/Dredg tour. At least I've seen Devin play 4-5 times in the past so I'm not too upset.

This has to be the best year for Metal tours in Australia that I've seen in over 10 years.

Seeing the Cathedral/Paradise Lost show in Melbourne, it should be great. Getting pumped for it now too!

Do you guys know Spirit Caravan? It was one of Wino's (St. Vitus, Obsessed etc) bands. This stuff rocks and has so much character! I love his riffs and his voice! Lost Sun Dance. Exactly what my stoner&doom loving ears need!
He also released a really good acoustic album last year: Adrift
Good stuff. ;D

Verano

In other news, I am loving so much the latest Septicflesh album "The Great Mass", is sooooooooooo wicked! and the orchestral bonus is pure gold. Definitely recomend it!

finally, another kindred spirit! Apocalypse is too down.

Verano

speaking of tours, "Summer of Slaughter" is coming up with cannibal corpse headlining. Wooooooooooooooooooo!!

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
finally, another kindred spirit! Apocalypse is too down.

It is too Epic to not paying attention to this master piece, dammit!

Also, any other Orphaned Land fans here? Feckin' love them! They were in my country last week and dammit, even if i couldn't see them inside the venue, got to listen to them from the outside, those dudes are The Best!!!!

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
It is too Epic to not paying attention to this master piece, dammit!

Also, any other Orphaned Land fans here? Feckin' love them! They were in my country last week and dammit, even if i couldn't see them inside the venue, got to listen to them from the outside, those dudes are The Best!!!!

I've got a couple of Orphaned Land albums on vinyl but haven't listened to them in over 5 years. Frankly I don't even remember what they sound like.

DrM

Redmond's Baby

So yeah, very interesting ppl coming over :D Hopefully I will be able to see most of them ^^

Do not miss them. Fantastic show live.

Also, Septicflesh are very good live. If i will be lucky I will see both again at Metalcamp this year, but it depends on my vacation.

Flynn

Anybody following the Gilead Media Fest?

Seems like my speed. Should be pretty intimate.

APRIL 28TH & 29TH, 2012 in OSHKOSH, WI

SATURDAY, APRIL 28TH

Loss
(Bleak funeral doom from Nashville, TN.)

Ash Borer
(Black metal from Arcata, CA/Portland, OR.)

Fell Voices
(Atmospheric black metal from CA/NY.)

A Scanner Darkly
(Reuniting for the fest w/guest members. Sci-fi grind/sludge.)

Hell
(Scathing sludge/doom from Salem, OR.)

Get Rad
(Fast hardcore from Milwaukee, WI.)

Lycus
(Doom from San Fransisco, CA.)

Protestant
(Aggressive and fast hardcore from Milwaukee, WI.)

Arms Aloft
(Melodic punk from Eau Claire, WI.)

SUNDAY, APRIL 29TH

Thou
(True Baton Rouge drone. Performing their Tyrant LP live.)

False
(Relentless black metal from Minneapolis, MN.)

The Body
(Noise/sludge from Providence, RI.)

Mutilation Rites
(Thrashy black metal from Brooklyn, NY.)

Northless
(Misanthropic sludge/doom from Milwaukee, WI.)

Sleepwalker
(Solo black metal project of M. Rekevics. Rare live performance)

Baby Boy
(Heavy punk from Baton Rouge, LA.)

Aseethe

(Atmospheric doom from Iowa.)

Darger + Plague Mother
(Two ohio noise projects playing a combine set.)

-Eddman-

That sounds amazeballs, I am really looking forward to see those two, they are coming to my country in some months, plus some more interesting ppl.

Iced Earth on March 19th
Opeth on March 24th
Unisonic + Gotthard on May 20th
Diablo Swing Orchestra on June 1st
Symphony X + Kamelot on September the 8th

Wait a minute... mexican? If so, nice to know there's another metalhead gaffer living here. I would love to see Opeth and Amon Amarth, but the trip to Mexico City is not cheap :( but, definitely going to Unisonic, It is on Sunday and I really, really liked the new EP.

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
Wait a minute... mexican? If so, nice to know there's another metalhead gaffer living here. I would love to see Opeth and Amon Amarth, but the trip to Mexico City is not cheap :( but, definitely going to Unisonic, It is on Sunday and I really, really liked the new EP.

Yep, mexican here, :p yeah ppl from outside of the city say is kinda expensive to come to the city, I am also looking forward to ALL of them, I hope I get a job before those start LOL. And also Gamma Ray are coming :p

never liked orwarrior but their previous album was quite good though...

I think Mabool is their best album so far, but even so, I like them, they are pretty damn good live.

Verano

Yep, mexican here, :p yeah ppl from outside of the city say is kinda expensive to come to the city, I am also looking forward to ALL of them, I hope I get a job before those start LOL. And also Gamma Ray are coming :p
I think Mabool is their best album so far, but even so, I like them, they are pretty damn good live.

you're mexican too? well me too anyways, yeah Mabool is pretty good however have you heard of Amaseffer? They sound like Orphaned Land but with a much more soundtrack emphasis.

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
you're mexican too? well me too anyways, yeah Mabool is pretty good however have you heard of Amaseffer? They sound like Orphaned Land but with a much more soundtrack emphasis.

lol yeah, nice full of mexicans, I love Mabool, I could listen to it all feckin' day and never get tired of it. Ohhh Haven't heard of that band, will do research; yeah OL is more progressive with oriental folk touches, should be interesting to listen sth alike but more bombastic, in the orchestral sense; I assume that is what you mean with the 'soundtrack emphasis'?

So, next Sat. I can either go to Gigantour or see Testament.

I've never seen any of the bands, and I like Megadeth and Testament equally.

But Gigantour is 2x the price of Testament.

Who puts on a better live show?

So what are your five or ten (or whatever :D ) albums you're listening to at the moment? After having seen the documentary "Such Hawks, such Hounds" I found new or not so new stuff I really like at the moment.

Orange Goblin - Healing Through Fire / I can't wait for their new album!
Sleep - Dopesmoker (great for working out!) and Holy Mountain
Spirit Caravan - The Last Embrace
Wino - Adrift, Punctuated Equilibrium
Shrinebuilder -self titled
High on Fire - Death is this communion (Matt Pike is a beast!)

So what are your five or ten (or whatever :D ) albums you're listening to at the moment? After having seen the documentary "Such Hawks, such Hounds" I found new or not so new stuff I really like at the moment.

Five last metal albums I listened to:

Darkthrone - Under A Funderal Moon
Aura Noir - Black Trash Attack
Hail - Inheritance of Evilness
Sarcofago - INRI
Funebrarum - The Sleep of Morbid Dreams

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Five last metal albums I listened to:

Darkthrone - Under A Funderal Moon
Aura Noir - Black Trash Attack
Hail - Inheritance of Evilness
Sarcofago - INRI
Funebrarum - The Sleep of Morbid Dreams

Orphaned Land - Mabool
Electric Wizard - Witchcult Today
Paradise Lost - As I Die (EP)
Cathedral - A New Ice Age (single)
Vallenfyre - A Fragile King

All on vinyl.

strafer

inrjs.jpg

OIRgP.jpg

Last month I've primarily been listening to

Jex Thoth - Jex Thoth (I think you will like this)
Alcest - Les voyages de l'âme
Diabolical Masquerade - Death's Design
And the new Anneke van Giersbergen :D

What albums would you recommend for Cathedral and Orange Goblin?

I've been rebuilding some of my collection that I never bought on CD, but had on cassette, sooooo...

Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction
Dissection - The Somberlain
Abscess - Urine Junkies
Abomination - Tragedy Strikes
Wizard Smoke - Live Rock In Hell

the ultimate thrash metal riff bible.

Subprime

I pimp these guys wherever and whenever possible.
Monumentofswords.bandcamp.com

Best metal band in canada. Direct discendants of 90s hardcore/screamo and early isis / neurosis. They also had a sideproject with most of the same members called nightmen (nightmen.bandcamp.com), more screamy/hardcore based, still awesome though.

265949115-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom