• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, MetalGuardian! Our names are a bit too similar! Speaking of names; massive brofistcuddle to anyone who can point out which metal song inspired my username.

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
Percees de Lumiere and Ecailles de Lune (II) are really the only songs of theirs that I care for, but they are pretty damn fantastic.

Those songs are just Beautiful, Every time I listen to them is just like so relaxing, I love Alcest, one of the very few french bands I know and that I actually would pay to see.

Blind Guardian and Tyrants by Immortal are the obvious ones... Just a straight-up brofist for trying?

Both parts are from the same song. It's not that obvious. No brofist for you, but you can have the cuddling part!

Hint: Arcana awaits.

Edit: You sir, are a god among men, and yes, we are! <3

xist

Just lately i've come to realise that Bandcamp is one of the greatest ways to experience new music from people you've never heard of before...

Browsing through the Black Metal tags i found Oak Pantheon. They play a brand of atmospheric black metal with folk elements that's pretty damn good. I expect if you like Agalloch then you're in with a chance of liking these guys.

I also found Issachar who remind me of a less good version of Between the Buried and Me

Bloodrage

Banned
Just lately i've come to realise that Bandcamp is one of the greatest ways to experience new music from people you've never heard of before...

Browsing through the Black Metal tags i found Oak Pantheon. They play a brand of atmospheric black metal with folk elements that's pretty damn good. I expect if you like Agalloch then you're in with a chance of liking these guys.
Architect of the Void Pt. 1 is seriously great stuff. Thanks.

One word: Sonata Arctica; And I do not care what ppl say :p
Dana... Dana... Dana... Daaana!

Only really liked Ecliptica.

I've decided they need to make a shirt out of this album cover:

c_burntreissue_400.jpg

Only not the usual lame "album cover on black" motif. They need to have the devil/demon in the center, with the flames around him wrapping all the way around the shirt. The entire shirt should be flames.

It'd be awesome. I'd buy two.

Subprime

He sounded like that dick boss who you can never make happy and always gives you shit haha.

have you seen his guitar rig? its fucking pathetic. He has a tech guy whos job is to just switch effects / amps for him. I mean fuck, do it like ac dc. you plug your guitar into a marshall stack, and you mic that.

NGAMER9

have you seen his guitar rig? its fucking pathetic. He has a tech guy whos job is to just switch effects / amps for him. I mean fuck, do it like ac dc. you plug your guitar into a marshall stack, and you mic that.
And even with all this, his live guitar tone is absolutely terrible, as is the band's mixing live. He used to have decent guitar tones, now he's endorsing that horrendous Zoom pedal and using massive stacks of digital modelers, it's embarrassing.

Subprime

And even with all this, his live guitar tone is absolutely terrible, as is the band's mixing live. He used to have decent guitar tones, now he's endorsing that horrendous Zoom pedal and using massive stacks of digital modelers, it's embarrassing.

It is beyond me why the guitar wankers feel the urge to use huge effects racks like that. the best guitar sounds I've ever heard have pretty much been from either medium wattage amps used for a high gain but high harmonic based sound (think jesus lizard), or high wattage amps turned up to eleven to push the shit out of the power amps (austerity program, isis, mastodon, etc). the only exception to the "digital models fucking suck" rule seems to be jesu, but his use is so different from the other types its hard to compare (he uses a pod xt, but he doesnt use it to copy the meshugah sound, shock/awe).

NGAMER9

haha the waveform
They suffer from terribly squashed dynamics and compression to the point of clipping throughout their discography. It's a shame, but most metal is okay with mastering albums to sound horrid. Still great music either way, though.

One word: Sonata Arctica; And I do not care what ppl say :p

LOVE Sonata Arctica. And actually, I enjoy all of their albums. I prefer the older stuff, though.

I've decided they need to make a shirt out of this album cover:

c_burntreissue_400.jpg

Only not the usual lame "album cover on black" motif. They need to have the devil/demon in the center, with the flames around him wrapping all the way around the shirt. The entire shirt should be flames.

It'd be awesome. I'd buy two.

I prefer the original cover, but this one is still pretty cool.

Melchiah

For those who might be interested, here's an experimental song we recorded with my band Black Dawn in 2008.

http://kiwi6.com/file/y3w9yx3aci

Lyrics:
THE WRITING ON THE SKIN

Dark atmospheres, black backgrounds,
drapery, hands suspended in the void.
The fixity and the immobility of death.
Silence.
The solitude of the empty body.
Skin that changes colour over the course of a few days
(white, greenish, dark blue, brown, purple).
The serenity of the desperation of the moment of death
impressed on the face.
Hairs, tendons, muscles, humours,
which can barely manage to hang on in the pores of the skin.
And, again, skin:
skin upon which we begin to see the first signs
of an inevitable decomposition;
skin devastated by disease,
skin ripped open in the autopsy
and badly stitched back together.
Foot, child's hand, bruised lips, legs, eyes closed forever:
dead people put in a pose for the occasion.
In this manner, by redusing death to so many neutral, impersonal details,
the artist strips the corpses of their identity,
and what remains is only the flesh,
the skin, the hair and the veins.

"I asked myself: can I cut someone that I did not know when they were alive?"

The knife cut runs as long as it wants.
It is through my stomach.
I keep looking at it.
I have more colours than I would have thought.
The hole is large enough for my head.
The hole was big enough for their hands to move freely.

C: Miglietti, Serrano, Holzer

The lyrics have been compiled from the writings in Extreme Bodies - The Use and Abuse of the Body in Art.

they blow just like symphony zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :D

anyways, Im diggin Rhapsody of Fire's album The Frozen Tears of Angels

Haha. Look, I've not heard any recent Rhapsody "of Fire", but slagging on Symph Sex/Arctica and then proceeding to tell us that you're digging RoF... That just doesn't add up to me.

Of what I've heard, Symphony X are by far and away the best of the 3; they're shit now, but songs like The Edge of Forever, Accolade I/II, The Eyes of Medusa, Egypt, etc are fucking rad.

Actually, I think the only RoF song I've heard is Under the Rain of a Thousand Flames and it kinda sucks balls :S

Check out this badass necklace I just purchased! Gotta fly that metal flag wherever I go. Plus if I ever go to prison years down the road I can show the judge my amazon account history and "prove" that I've been a "legitimate pagan" for years so I can get out of the cell to slaughter a boar in the forest every Wednesday

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Haha. Look, I've not heard any recent Rhapsody "of Fire", but slagging on Symph Sex/Arctica and then proceeding to tell us that you're digging RoF... That just doesn't add up to me.

Of what I've heard, Symphony X are by far and away the best of the 3; they're shit now, but songs like The Edge of Forever, Accolade I/II, The Eyes of Medusa, Egypt, etc are fucking rad.

Actually, I think the only RoF song I've heard is Under the Rain of a Thousand Flames and it kinda sucks balls :S

people have preferences bruh. Im picky on what I hear/listen and if it doesn't click, it aint worth my time like symph x, and son arctica. Also who said I dug RoF? As I said before, Im diggin The Frozen Tears of Angels album only. So far...kind of meh except reign of terror. And I do agree with you that Under the rain of thousand penises song sucks dream theater balls.

One more thing, someone should ban Luca Turilli and Warrel Dane from making solo album(s). They're terrbile like Dream theater's Octavarium album. yes the DT album is not a solo album but you get the picture.

Check out this badass necklace I just purchased! Gotta fly that metal flag wherever I go. Plus if I ever go to prison years down the road I can show the judge my amazon account history and "prove" that I've been a "legitimate pagan" for years so I can get out of the cell to slaughter a boar in the forest every Wednesday

I just got done telling my wife I want me a thor's hammer pendant as well. The prison thing is just a bonus to looking like a boss.

Also, random Rhapsody talk is always a plus. The last two albums (Frozen Tears and From Chaos to Eternity) are really fucking good. As diverse, creative, and (believe it or not) as heavy as they have ever been. Legendary Tales is probably my favorite album by them, but it's awesome that the band went out with a bang.

I just got done telling my wife I want me a thor's hammer pendant as well. The prison thing is just a bonus to looking like a boss.

Also, random Rhapsody talk is always a plus. The last two albums (Frozen Tears and From Chaos to Eternity) are really fucking good. As diverse, creative, and (believe it or not) as heavy as they have ever been. Legendary Tales is probably my favorite album, but it's awesome that the band went out with a bang.

One of my lecturers has a tattoo of Thor's Hammer on his arm. He is 40+ and Swedish I think but it's pretty sick either way.

Rhapsody are really good though. Loved the direction Triumph or Agony took things. Frozen Tears of Angels was great too but Fabio's vocals kinda get repetitive for me very easily. Luca Turili is mind blowingly crazy at guitar. I cringe whenever I look at his videos for his site though. Neo-classical is cool and all but the romantic, white-rosed Italian guy thing is very weird for me.

going to Iced Earth/Symphony X on the 26th \m/

Going to my first metal show in like 4 years tonight! Gigantour!!

Hopefully my return to the first of many!

I went to both of these shows within a week of one another. Gigantour was fun aside from being in the cheap seats which were far as fuck from the stage, and the 36 dollar beers. Still don't understand Lacuna Coil going on before Volbeat.

Iced Earth and Symphony X was AMAZING.

Have fun!

Wrayfield

I went to both of these shows within a week of one another. Gigantour was fun aside from being in the cheap seats which were far as fuck from the stage, and the 36 dollar beers. Still don't understand Lacuna Coil going on before Volbeat.

Iced Earth and Symphony X was AMAZING.

Have fun!

Whaaa---?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom