• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
I think Rhapsody of Fire are brilliant, It's a pity Turilli has gone, and to me sounds and it's stupid that he's having another band called only 'Rhapsody' and has the same logo as his former band, is just crazy stupid, but anyways; I also heard that Kamelot offered to Fabio the job for main vocalist in such band, as the good response the fans had with him singing Kamelot's songs during their tour. I saw them last year with Fabio and yeah maybe songs were kinda weird cuz Fabio's voice is way different from Roy Khan, but sounded pretty cool at the same time. As far as I know, Fabio said he would like to be part of Kamelot but Rhapsody of Fire is his life atm, though he doesn't leave aside the offer.

Let's see what happens.

I think Rhapsody of Fire are brilliant, It's a pity Turilli has gone, and to me sounds and it's stupid that he's having another band called only 'Rhapsody' and has the same logo as his former band, is just crazy stupid, but anyways; I also heard that Kamelot offered to Fabio the job for main vocalist in such band, as the good response the fans had with him singing Kamelot's songs during their tour. I saw them last year with Fabio and yeah maybe songs were kinda weird cuz Fabio's voice is way different from Roy Khan, but sounded pretty cool at the same time. As far as I know, Fabio said he would like to be part of Kamelot but Rhapsody of Fire is his life atm, though he doesn't leave aside the offer.

Let's see what happens.

I'd be fine with Fabio in Kamelot, although he is a completely different vocalist than Roy. Dude's voice was completely one of a kind. So smooth and awesome.

I expect fan reaction to be mixed if Fabio does indeed join, but that was to be expected regardless of the replacement. Replacing a singer is such an impossible fucking task, especially in this genre where people grow so attached. Every single Nightwish video or facebook update is just flooded with people screaming for Tarja, although it's gotten better since Imaginaerum released. I hope a similar hysteria doesn't follow Kamelot when they get their new vocalist.

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
I'd be fine with Fabio in Kamelot, although he is a completely different vocalist than Roy. Dude's voice was completely one of a kind. So smooth and awesome.

I expect fan reaction to be mixed if Fabio does indeed join, but that was to be expected regardless of the replacement. Replacing a singer is such an impossible fucking task, especially in this genre where people grow so attached. Every single Nightwish video or facebook update is just flooded with people screaming for Tarja, although it's gotten better since Imaginaerum released. I hope a similar hysteria doesn't follow Kamelot when they get their new vocalist.

Damn straight and is just disgusting reading only crap from ppl complaining about new and old stuff, is like for feck's sake get over it. And I'd hate another band that I actually like gets those kind of comments from retarded people.

I think Roy was fantastic but yeah, live he was kinda out of plce talking about his voice, he was a great front man, but as far as I know, he wasn't that good, like emotionally, and that was the reason of him leaving the band. But however, I like Lione's voice, is the typical power metal voice and typical doesn't mean ordinary in some cases, and I think Lione is fantastic.

Blackheim

Hey guys, my band's album just went up on the iTunes store. Check it out if you like intense riff-heavy thrash metal with melodic vocals!

http://itunes.apple.com/en/album/atheist-crusade/id501718832

Checked it out and liked what I heard. I located and bought a physical CD off of Amazon a sec ago since I really don't like buying digital only songs/albums :p

not bad. Im diggin Thrashark so far. Really fast. reminds me of vio-lence and nuclear assault in some ways.

Yeah, vocals also kinda remind me of a young Scott Jeffreys (Confessor). There are longer song samples of the Immaculate album here.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Immaculate's song , Atheist Crusade, is fuckin thrash-tastic in every way!
I have to say this album annihilates anything that Municipal Waste has done post-Hazardous Mutation.

I need more...I thirst for more Immaculate..

Kaladin

aBR5H.jpg

Thought some would be interested in this.

Saw Mastodon last night and they were fucking awesome - the set was, as expected, made up of a lot of the new stuff, but they mixed in songs from every album;

Dry Bone Valley
Black Tongue
Crystal Skull
I Am Ahab
Capillarian Crest
Colony of Birchmen
Megalodon
Thickening
Blasteroid
Sleeping Giant
Ghost of Karelia
All the Heavy Lifting
Spectrelight
Curl of the Burl
Bedazzled Fingernails
Circle of Cysquatch
Aqua Dementia
Crack the Skye
Where Strides the Behemoth
Iron Tusk
March of the Fire Ants
Blood and Thunder
Encore: Creature Lives

Red Fang were awesome too, I only caught the last half of their set but they put on a great show and had the best sound of the night. Mastodon sounded like they were really having to fight against the muddy mixing of the vocals and the guitars could have been higher in the mix too, but Red Fang sounded perfect. In between, Dillinger Escape Plan were just awful. They showed a few 30 second flashes of a band I might want to listen to, but most of it was painful to endure. The highlights of their set were when the guitarist smashed himself in the nose with his own guitar, and when the band destroyed their equipment at the end.

Got tickets to see Judas Priest in London in May with a mate. Can't fucking wait XD.
My friend burned me every single Priest album a couple months ago but I still haven't given any of them a listen. Where should I start? I've actually never listened to the band before

Saw Mastodon last night and they were fucking awesome

Encore: Creature Lives
What the hell? This is not an encore song. Oh well, I'm still jealous. The rest of the setlist looks amazing

Subprime

what is it with bands and one song encores? If fucking leonard cohen can do full set encores ( seriously ), then I think these 30 somethings can.

-Eddman-

Since I've seen many of you like to buy rare and underground metal in vinyl, I would like to ask for some store recommendations. Do you buy your stuff at local stores or through the internet?

I live in Mexico and while it's not that hard to find classic or commercial artists like Maiden, Metallica, Priest, etc. at some stores and auction sites (kinda expensive though), I would love to find and buy more Power, Black, Death, Thrash and Drone/Doom.

Are there any good online stores with international shipping? I buy most of my Alternative and classic Rock records in Amazon nowadays, but their metal catalogue is very limited. I don't mind used but I'm not a collector so I prefer new LP's.

My friend burned me every single Priest album a couple months ago but I still haven't given any of them a listen. Where should I start? I've actually never listened to the band before

My suggestions would be (In that order) Unleashed in the East, British Steel and Painkiller. First, you get to listen to the best from the early days in a mindblowing live performance, then their most classic and iconic tunes and finally (in my opinion) their most focused, polished and aggressive studio production.

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
I live in Mexico and while it's not that hard to find classic or commercial artists like Maiden, Metallica, Priest, etc. at some stores and auction sites (kinda expensive though), I would love to find and buy more Power, Black, Death, Thrash and Drone/Doom.

Dis you already try at the end of the Tianguis del Chopo? where there are the dudes exchanging their goodies for others; many of those dudes, if you search like really well, have very interesting and underground stuff.

people have preferences bruh. Im picky on what I hear/listen and if it doesn't click, it aint worth my time like symph x, and son arctica. Also who said I dug RoF? As I said before, Im diggin The Frozen Tears of Angels album only. So far...kind of meh except reign of terror. And I do agree with you that Under the rain of thousand penises song sucks dream theater balls.

One more thing, someone should ban Luca Turilli and Warrel Dane from making solo album(s). They're terrbile like Dream theater's Octavarium album. yes the DT album is not a solo album but you get the picture.

Ha. Apologies. I was being a bit judgeMETAL. I, too, am very picky and will dismiss things I don't like instantly; I'm usually on the ball in that sense.

Also, seeing as they were brought up... Dream Theater are terribly overrated and Labrie is a horrible to mediocre vocalist. Come at me, bros.

I saw them in Australia a while back, purely to see Pain of Salvation open for them. It was kinda worth it; it was also great to see the support out-class the fuck out of the main act.

Ha. Apologies. I was being a bit judgeMETAL. I, too, am very picky and will dismiss things I don't like instantly; I'm usually on the ball in that sense.

Also, seeing as they were brought up... Dream Theater are terribly overrated and Labrie is a horrible to mediocre vocalist. Come at me, bros.

I saw them in Australia a while back, purely to see Pain of Salvation open for them. It was kinda worth it; it was also great to see the support out-class the fuck out of the main act.

They are insanely talented, but the problem is that their discography is very inconsistent. Their past two albums have been great though. And Labrie is definitely the weak link of the band but I still like him.

Pain of Salvation rules though. I've only heard Road Salt 1 and 2 but they are phenomenal albums

-Eddman-

Dis you already try at the end of the Tianguis del Chopo? where there are the dudes exchanging their goodies for others; many of those dudes, if you search like really well, have very interesting and underground stuff.

I did buy some CD's and other things at El Chopo back when I was living in DF, but I started buying vinyls recently, now living in Guadalajara. I also got some good 80's Heavy (A Helloween live album and the first Twisted Sister record) at this little store called Revolution Records in La Condesa. Damn, I really do miss buying music at the Distrito :(

maxxpower

Dream Theater are terribly overrated and Labrie is a horrible to mediocre vocalist. Come at me, bros.

Dream Theater pisses me off. You have a guy like Rudess who's a synthesizer wizard and all he ever uses in Dream Theater are generic as fuck sound patches. Plus you can barely hear him on their albums because Petrucci's guitar always drowns him out.

They are insanely talented, but the problem is that their discography is very inconsistent. Their past two albums have been great though. And Labrie is definitely the weak link of the band but I still like him.

Pain of Salvation rules though. I've only heard Road Salt 1 and 2 but they are phenomenal albums

No doubt are they talented, but we're talking metal here. Uber talent is a pre-requisite... Unless you're the drummer for Agalloch.

And duuuuude. I want to smack you upside the head for only having heard the Road Salts. Are you aware of the massive change they underwent? Think Opeth's recent metamorphosis, but exponentially more drastic; you know, the whole croony, jazz thing. Anyway, the bottom line is that they are but a shadow of what they once were. Not withstanding a clear preference for their current stuff, I think you'll be a fan. I, personally, do not care for the PoS of today.

One Hour by the Concrete Lake, The Perfect Element I & Remedy Lane. PEI is their magnum opus. Go forth.

EDIT: EXCEPT for Sisters. Amazing song.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul

Not sure if serious but I agree with you on that. They're a hit or a miss with their music. Some people like it some don't. And for talent, I have to say Portnoy (somewhat) and Petrucci are the only highlights.

No doubt are they talented, but we're talking metal here. Uber talent is a pre-requisite... Unless you're the drummer for Agalloch.

And duuuuude. I want to smack you upside the head for only having heard the Road Salts. Are you aware of the massive change they underwent? Think Opeth's recent metamorphosis, but exponentially more drastic; you know, the whole croony, jazz thing. Anyway, the bottom line is that they are but a shadow of what they once were. Not withstanding a clear preference for their current stuff, I think you'll be a fan. I, personally, do not care for the PoS of today.

One Hour by the Concrete Lake, The Perfect Element I & Remedy Lane. PEI is their magnum opus. Go forth.

EDIT: EXCEPT for Sisters. Amazing song.

I'm not sure being incredibly talented is necessary for being a talented and successful metal band (looks at Lars Ulrich). What I meant is that they are EXCEPTIONALLY talented. In regards to theory and technical musicianship, they are certainly in the top tier of metal musicians. Unfortunately they sometimes sacrifice structure, melody, and pacing for technical wankery. But when they are on top of their game they are one of the best in the prog-metal genre

I've heard very good things about pre-Road Salt PoS. It isn't that I don't have any interest in hearing it, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I know the two Road Salt's aren't even metal albums, but they are very excellent at capturing the essence of classic rock. Anyway, thank you for the recommendations! The Perfect Element is the PoS album I hear about most often, so maybe I will start there.

I'm not sure being incredibly talented is necessary for being a talented and successful metal band (looks at Lars Ulrich). What I meant is that they are EXCEPTIONALLY talented. In regards to theory and technical musicianship, they are certainly in the top tier of metal musicians. Unfortunately they sometimes sacrifice structure, melody, and pacing for technical wankery. But when they are on top of their game they are one of the best in the prog-metal genre

I've heard very good things about pre-Road Salt PoS. It isn't that I don't have any interest in hearing it, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I know the two Road Salt's aren't even metal albums, but they are very excellent at capturing the essence of classic rock. Anyway, thank you for the recommendations! The Perfect Element is the PoS album I hear about most often, so maybe I will start there.

You're very much right. Excuse my hyperbole. What I was trying to say is that when discussing metal, you're discussing some of the most talented musicians in music, so when you come across "freaks/virtuosos", their talent is somewhat mitigated in the scheme of things... If you get me.

DT are very much kings when it comes to theory, etc and like Verano said Portnoy and Petrucci are the highlights. Petrucci is a no-brainer; he's amazing. Myself, being a drummer... I think Portnoy's overrated. He's solid, but nothing he does is exceptional.

And man, don't get me started on Lars. Possibly the worst. It's called a ride cymbal; use it, you amateur! A fill or two, you know, with toms, wouldn't go astray either.

You will love PEI. It is nothing short of amazing. The musicianship, the VOCALS and most importantly, the song-writing. It's such a beautiful style of metal.

You're very much right. Excuse my hyperbole. What I was trying to say is that when discussing metal, you're discussing some of the most talented musicians in music, so when you come across "freaks/virtuosos", their talent is somewhat mitigated in the scheme of things... If you get me.

DT are very much kings when it comes to theory, etc and like Verano said Portnoy and Petrucci are the highlights. Petrucci is a no-brainer; he's amazing. Myself, being a drummer... I think Portnoy's overrated. He's solid, but nothing he does is exceptional.

And man, don't get me started on Lars. Possibly the worst. It's called a ride cymbal; use it, you amateur! A fill or two, you know, with toms, wouldn't go astray either.

You will love PEI. It is nothing short of amazing. The musicianship, the VOCALS and most importantly, the song-writing. It's such a beautiful style of metal.

Yeah, I understand your point. In fact, I think the scope of talent in the genre is part of why I've never stuck with learning guitar. I would absolutely love to be able to play, but every time I try to learn (I've given it an honest shot at least four times in my life now) I get so fucking bored with shit like Hot Cross Buns that I start to look up metal tabs online. But of course tabs that only teach chord progression are too simple, it just gives the basic sound of whatever song you are trying to play. So I get frustrated that I can't play anything cool that I like and give up. Someday though I will be a guitar god! :p

Petrucci is my favorite member of Dream Theater. He is an absolute beast at his craft. Seems like a genuinely nice guy too. I'm particularly interested in hearing why you think Portnoy is overrated though. I've never played drums so I don't have your perspective, but Portnoy has always struck me as one of the more original drummers I've come across, right up there with the likes of Peart.

Lars is an abysmal failure. Even when Metallica was good, they could have been so much better with drumming that went beyond just the bare minimum requirements for competency. Not to mention he's a pompous ass. It's obscene just how rich he is when he has so little talent. Christ.

Alright, you just sold me on the album! It will be my next metal purchase. I'll post my impressions whenever I get around to buying it, and if it isn't as good as you say it is I will sick Odin on you!

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.

No, you're incredibly right. Great musicianship. Terrible songwriting.

Yeah, I understand your point. In fact, I think the scope of talent in the genre is part of why I've never stuck with learning guitar. I would absolutely love to be able to play, but every time I try to learn (I've given it an honest shot at least four times in my life now) I get so fucking bored with shit like Hot Cross Buns that I start to look up metal tabs online. But of course tabs that only teach chord progression are too simple, it just gives the basic sound of whatever song you are trying to play. So I get frustrated that I can't play anything cool that I like and give up. Someday though I will be a guitar god! :p

Petrucci is my favorite member of Dream Theater. He is an absolute beast at his craft. Seems like a genuinely nice guy too. I'm particularly interested in hearing why you think Portnoy is overrated though. I've never played drums so I don't have your perspective, but Portnoy has always struck me as one of the more original drummers I've come across, right up there with the likes of Peart.

Lars is an abysmal failure. Even when Metallica was good, they could have been so much better with drumming that went beyond just the bare minimum requirements for competency. Not to mention he's a pompous ass. It's obscene just how rich he is when he has so little talent. Christ.

Alright, you just sold me on the album! It will be my next metal purchase. I'll post my impressions whenever I get around to buying it, and if it isn't as good as you say it is I will sick Odin on you!

Ha. Dude, don't worry about that. We've all been there. I've self-taught myself and have been playing for around 6 years, so I'm competent, but nothing amazing. Want to get me instantly depressed? Youtube some George Kollias doing 16ths at 280bpm or Virgil Donati doing god-knows-fucking-what and I'll be a downer in under 5 minutes.

As for Portnoy, I'm impressed by his ability to keep up with some of DT's wankery, but that's about it. He never lets loose; never showcases some immense speed or creativity in a fill, passage, etc. He does exactly what the song requires of him, but of what I've heard, it's never anything stylistically or technically "amazing".

That being said, it is DT, so playing to Dance of Eternity is creative in its own right, but I've heard better. He's just very competent in my eyes. His solo work is also testament to this. I've been underwhelmed by every flashy piece of drumming he's done.

Now, take someone like Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree. I think he slays Portnoy on all fronts. All you need do is watch his solos to see just how fucking creative he is behind a kit, not to mention, he technically poos all over Portnoy. Speed, tightness, versatility, you name it. More over, his feel is ridiculous. Punchy metal to godly-ghost-noted jazz; he nails everything.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=95QS3c_Tei4

Watch from 5 minutes and just listen to that china/double bass groove. I don't think Portnoy has that in him. And that's only the tip of Gavin's Iceberg (no homo!). I cannot stress just how much more impressive he is than that video when he wants to show off, but I could be posting links for days, then.

As much as I dislike Lars, I can guarantee you that Louie Clemente of Testament and Mike Sus of Possessed are far worse.

Dream Theater were fantastic on Images and Words and Awake. Those albums fucking rule. Disliking anything after those two I completely understand (though won't necessarily agree with), but those 2 albums are classics. And LaBrie sounded spectacular on both of those, too. Now his voice is shot to shit. And something happened to Petrucci's soloing over the past decade, as it's nowhere near as good as well.

Pain of Salvation are a bit too off the rails weird for me most of the time, but I do like The Perfect Element Pt. 1. I have Remedy Lane, never really got into it. I recall being told that their newer stuff is even fucking weirder, which means I should probably proceed with caution. Gildenlow's voice is fucking glorious though, smooth like buttah.

And on the topic of Lars, he sucks. He is the main reason I never watch the Metallica portion of the big 4 DVD set.

ShaneB

When I saw the title I was hoping it was the performance from Cliff Em All/Day on the Green.

Great performance, but the guitars being slightly out of tune drives me mad. lol

Flynn

I sent an email to VH1 thanking them for running Metal Evolution.

I think I hit an executive higher on the totem pole, because he said he forwarded the message to programming.

Anyway, if you guys want to do the same here's his email: Brett.Henne@vh1.com

Because of this

429778_3216622905141_1553400285_2947493_1419256938_n.jpg

Therefore this

Hell yeah Bathory

*I am not responsible for any of the accuracy or lack there of contained in the assertions of this picture

This is just the way the world works. What's important is that metal fans remember Quorthon. I can't imagine he gave a shit that the general public didn't recognize him. He left behind one hell of a legacy, and his influence in the metal community is genuine.

Terje Bakken(Valfar), of Windir, is another musician who died way too early. He was 25. Younger than I am, which is always eye opening. He also died in 2004.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DOPkHrW5bA

Pain of Salvation are a bit too off the rails weird for me most of the time, but I do like The Perfect Element Pt. 1. I have Remedy Lane, never really got into it. I recall being told that their newer stuff is even fucking weirder, which means I should probably proceed with caution. Gildenlow's voice is fucking glorious though, smooth like buttah.

Ha. Yeah, pretty much. It's not so much weirder... More just shit. Kinda like "Spinal Tap Mk. II". Massive departure from PE1/RL and it doesn't jive with me. There is one song that is amazing, though and that is Sisters from Road Salt One:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ja8xjU_Ghc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom