• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Because of this

429778_3216622905141_1553400285_2947493_1419256938_n.jpg

Therefore this

Hell yeah Bathory

*I am not responsible for any of the accuracy or lack there of contained in the assertions of this picture

I'm listening to Hammerheart on vinyl as I type this.

RIP

This is just the way the world works. What's important is that metal fans remember Quorthon. I can't imagine he gave a shit that the general public didn't recognize him. He left behind one hell of a legacy, and his influence in the metal community is genuine.

Terje Bakken(Valfar), of Windir, is another musician who died way too early. He was 25. Younger than I am, which is always eye opening. He also died in 2004.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DOPkHrW5bA
Yes! I fucking love Windir. Spiritlord is my jam

Watevaman

Been on a real Bathory kick as of late, as well.

Also been listening to Cor Scorpii, the true successor of Windir to me. Love both Vreid and Cor Scorpii, but the path Vreid takes is too different to be considered SognaMetal to me.

maxxpower

Been on a real Bathory kick as of late, as well.

Also been listening to Cor Scorpii, the true successor of Windir to me. Love both Vreid and Cor Scorpii, but the path Vreid takes is too different to be considered SognaMetal to me.

Yeah and it's weird because Vreid has like four ex-members of Windir while Cor Scorpii only has like one.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I'm ashamed to admit that Hammerheart is the only Bathory album I own. They really need to do a vinyl box-set of all of Bathory's best albums like Viva Hate records did with Enslaved.

I'm ashamed to admit that Hammerheart is the only Bathory album I own. They really need to do a vinyl box-set of all of Bathory's best albums like Viva Hate records did with Enslaved.

That's pretty awesome, though I'm not into vinyl myself(in part because it's so damn expensive). I still haven't heard Enslaved's last EP because it was only released on vinyl. What the hell is that. IIRC I couldn't even buy it on itunes.

Edit: Did anyone check out the new Dragonland album? I'm a big fan of Astronomy, so I've been waiting on this one for a long time. I've only listened once so far, but it seems like it has promise. Not sure if some of the tracks are going to get better with time, but on the first listen it had a few standout songs. Not sure if it can touch the instrumental at the end of Astronomy, though.

We should totally list some awesome Bathory songs for those silly gaffers that will say they never heard of them.

Someone start us off...

>.> Don't look at me!

jmdajr

It's too bad but metal isn't mainstream and never will be. If metal bands/fans appreciate him that's all that matters.
You can't get bitter about all that.

Bathory is pretty fucking sweet. Blood Fire Death and Hammerheart make me want to steal a horse and ride it down the highway with a hammer held high. I think it goes without saying that his death was less of a big deal to the general public than Whitney Houston or any other pop star that may pass prematurely. Hell, even Dio didn't get shit from the mainstream press. Heresy.

So, I'm listening to some Yngwie Malmsteen today. I know he's hideously unfashionable because of his billion notes per second style of play, but I fucking love his early stuff. Rising Force, Marching Out, and Trilogy are all tasty treats.

Bathory is pretty fucking sweet. Blood Fire Death and Hammerheart make me want to steal a horse and ride it down the highway with a hammer held high. I think it goes without saying that his death was less of a big deal to the general public than Whitney Houston or any other pop star that may pass prematurely. Hell, even Dio didn't get shit from the mainstream press. Heresy.

So, I'm listening to some Yngwie Malmsteen today. I know he's hideously unfashionable because of his billion notes per second style of play, but I fucking love his early stuff. Rising Force, Marching Out, and Trilogy are all tasty treats.

Someone should conjure up an image with him in it like the Quorthon.

Because of this

429778_3216622905141_1553400285_2947493_1419256938_n.jpg

Therefore this

Hell yeah Bathory

*I am not responsible for any of the accuracy or lack there of contained in the assertions of this picture

That's just the way it is. Of course a popstar dying is going to get more attention, but 50 years from now she will be forgotten while Bathorys legacy will live on.

Anyways, hail Bathory!

Son of the Damned
The Rite of Darkness / Reap of Evil
Chariots of Fire
Equimanthorn
Hades
War
For All Those Who Died
Dies Irae

Oddly enough, Happy 46th birthday to Quorthon

Also MOTHERFUCKING NORTH AMERICAN MAIDEN ENGLAND TOUR THIS SUMMER

"Our intention is to play about two thirds of the original track list of Maiden England, including some songs we have not played live in a very,very long time, plus other favourites we just know the fans are going to want to hear!"

For those who need a refresher, here is the setlist from the original Maiden England release:

"Moonchild"
"The Evil That Men Do"
"The Prisoner"
"Still Life"
"Die with Your Boots On"
"Infinite Dreams"
"Can I Play with Madness"
"Heaven Can Wait"
"Wasted Years"
"The Clairvoyant"
"Seventh Son of a Seventh Son"
"The Number of the Beast"
"Hallowed Be Thy Name"
"Iron Maiden"

I've never seen them before, and I am absolutely not letting this opportunity pass by. If I never see Iron Maiden I'll regret it as much as the fact that I will never get to see Zeppelin

Oddly enough, Happy 46th birthday to Quorthon

Also MOTHERFUCKING NORTH AMERICAN MAIDEN ENGLAND TOUR THIS SUMMER

"Our intention is to play about two thirds of the original track list of Maiden England, including some songs we have not played live in a very,very long time, plus other favourites we just know the fans are going to want to hear!"

For those who need a refresher, here is the setlist from the original Maiden England release:

"Moonchild"
"The Evil That Men Do"
"The Prisoner"
"Still Life"
"Die with Your Boots On"
"Infinite Dreams"
"Can I Play with Madness"
"Heaven Can Wait"
"Wasted Years"
"The Clairvoyant"
"Seventh Son of a Seventh Son"
"The Number of the Beast"
"Hallowed Be Thy Name"
"Iron Maiden"

I've never seen them before, and I am absolutely not letting this opportunity pass by. If I never see Iron Maiden I'll regret it as much as the fact that I will never get to see Zeppelin

Great setlist. Loved that Maiden England video. I just wish that song "Can I Play With Madness" would just go away forever.

The Phantomnaut

Neo Member
Nasum Final US tour dates!

5/19 Cleveland, OH @ Now That’s Class w/ Brutal Truth, Dropdead
5/21 Montreal, QC @ Sala Rossa w/ Brutal Truth, Dropdead
5/24 New York, NY @ Europa w/ Brutal Truth, Dropdead
5/25 Baltimore, MD @ Maryland Deathfest
5/28 Oakland, CA @ Oakland Metro w/ Exhumed
5/29 Ventura, CA @ Billy O’s w/ Exhumed
5/31 Austin, TX @ Chaos In Tejas

I hope I can get down at Oakland!!! GRIND FINALE!!!!!!!!!!

ShaneB

My gym playlist last night was a few Sinergy albums. Such great stuff, shame there hasn't been anything new in such a long time, but I have no idea on the status of the band, if Alexi and Kim are still together or what the heck. Ah well.

edit: Wiki says "According to Alexi, Sinergy has disbanded, and is no longer an active music project." Aw.

My gym playlist last night was a few Sinergy albums. Such great stuff, shame there hasn't been anything new in such a long time, but I have no idea on the status of the band, if Alexi and Kim are still together or what the heck. Ah well.

edit: Wiki says "According to Alexi, Sinergy has disbanded, and is no longer an active music project." Aw.

I remember buying Suicide By My Side in high school and being completely blown away by it, even though I was a big CoB fan at that time. The guitar heroics on that album were just completely fucking insane, and Kim Goss had a pretty nifty set of pipes on her for a chick, rather powerful. I think I'll have to give that a spin today.

And THANK CHRIST about the Maiden tour. I never, ever miss them when they come around. So much fun to see an anthemic Metal band with a giant sold out crowd of that scale. Tailgating, the sun and nice weather, METAL. Truly doesn't get much better. I'll be going to the Philly show.

I might go to the Oakland show. Haven't seen Nasum since late 90's/early 2000's or so.
and Exhumed are always fun. Cool guys.

Fuuuuck, Black Sabbath canceled their european shows, except the one in London. I had tickets for Dortmund. :( Oh well, but Tony's health is more important!

Kaladin

Fuuuuck, Black Sabbath canceled their european shows, except the one in London. I had tickets for Dortmund. :( Oh well, but Tony's health is more important!

Actually, Ozzy is now touring with Zack Wylde, Geezer Butler and Slash on select dates and calling it "Ozzy and Friends".

:(

Enosh

didn't their drummer die like a week or two ago?

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...why at ventura!!??? fucking bullshit...well I'll see if I can go..prolly bring a friend or two. The 101 is gonna be a bitch but I'll try to leave early to get there before 6pm.

This could be my 3rd time seeing a band playing their last concert together. 1st was Emperor in the house of blues hollywood and Celtic Frost at the same venue. (yeah it wasn't their final tour but they broke up later so it counts)

Flynn

Great setlist. Loved that Maiden England video. I just wish that song "Can I Play With Madness" would just go away forever.

So weird. That's the last tour I saw Maiden play. And now my wife is super into Maiden so we're going to go see them in August. I feel old.

Gaspode_T

Lamb of God tonight in Tokyo with Cthonic opening up. Tonight as in 6 hours from now

Saw Judas Priest's last show in Japan ever (at the Budokan), was amazing energy, crowd sung along to 80% of the songs.

Saw Opeth live for the first time last Saturday, they are probably one of my top 5 favorite bands. The show was great, the crowd wasn't.

Animals As Leaders...holy SHIT. Wow. Tosin Abasi is an amazing guitarist.

If you dig this guy as well as jazz fusion, you might want to peep the debut album, Lingua Franca, from a side project band he's in called T.R.A.M.

Terrazas, Adrian = Mars Volta sax, flute, and bass clarinet player.
Reyes, Javier = Animals As Leaders guitarist.
Abasi, Tosin = Animals As Leaders lead guitarist.
Moore, Eric = Suicidal Tendencies drummer.

sgossard

First of all, yeah I'm a metal noob. I know my rock, so I'm not completely music illiterate, but metal not so much.

I was playing Nation Red and Killing Floor (zombie-shoot-shoot-kill-kill games, in case you don't know them) which have generic loopy "metal" for soundtracks. So I turned the music volume off and listened to this instead while playing:

The number of the beast
Sabbath
Reign in blood
White Zombie
Pantera
AC/DC
Rammstein
Motorhead
The big 4 concert in Sofia

Could you please recommend something to add to my limited selection?

First of all, yeah I'm a metal noob. I know my rock, so I'm not completely music illiterate, but metal not so much.

I was playing Nation Red and Killing Floor (zombie-shoot-shoot-kill-kill games, in case you don't know them) which have generic loopy "metal" for soundtracks. So I turned the music volume off and listened to this instead while playing:

The number of the beast
Sabbath
Reign in blood
White Zombie
Pantera
AC/DC
Rammstein
The big 4 concert in Sofia

Could you please recommend something to add to my limited selection?
Yes. : )
High on Fire - Death is this communion
Orange Goblin - Healing Through Fire
Cathedral - Carnival Bizarre (and Ethereal Mirror)
Down - NOLA (and the second album, II. The singer is Phil Anselmo from Pantera)
Sepultura - Arise (and Chaos AD)

Listen to that stuff and tell me what you think. ;D

sgossard

Thanks a lot Doomshine and DieNgamers for the suggestions.

Tarot sounds great but I'm not a fan of that halford-esque singing style.

Wow High on fire, I think this is exactly what I was looking for.

Please keep them coming, I promise I'll listen to all recommendations gaf makes.

sgossard

Heh, that's going to limit my recommendations quite a bit, how about Dark at Dawn?

http://youtu.be/eJeDkeGTxjA

How do you feel about harsh or growling vocals?

I'm ok with growling.
Dark at dawn sounds pretty good, I'm gonna check more of their songs.

High on fire led me to Sleep (This blew me away http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3XYhXaPitE&feature=related )which led to Orange Goblin and Cathedral and I think they're all right up my alley.

Turns out they are something called 'Stoner rock'. I like this slow, sludgy feel more than the epic operatic. I also found this compilation and I'm really enjoying it:

Burn One Up!: Music for Stoners [1997] [Compilation]
1 Queens of the Stone Age - 18 A.D.
2 Karma to Burn - Ma Petit Mort
3 Fu Manchu - Asphalt Risin'
4 The Heads - Gnu
5 Spiritual Beggars - Monster Astronauts
6 Floodgate - Feel You Burn
7 Slaprocket - Holy Mother Sunshine
8 Leadfoot - Soul Full Of Lies
9 Celestial Season - Wallaroo
10 Cathedral - You Know
11 Acrimony - Bud Song
12 Blind Dog - Lose
13 Sleep - Aquarian
14 Hideous Sun Demons - Icarus Dream
15 Beaver - Green

Don't you love it when you find exactly what you were looking for? Thanks gaf and keep those recs coming.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
You would be wise to substitute out those albums and trade them in for the far superior Beneath the Remains (which is a top 5 album in the thrash genre) and Schizophrenia.

why would you sub any sepultura album?

anyways, Nasum has an Los Angeles gig. but not venue announced. Here I thought of driving all the way to ventura just to see these guys..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom